"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration remix on soundclick

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
morenoise
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
2011/11/05 14:15:41 (permalink)

"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration remix on soundclick

Hi All, based on a guitar piece by me, Janet played a beautiful piano part et voila ; ) Have a listen if you like :

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11193408  this is the remix

or

http://soundcloud.com/rik-frieling/breathing  this is the original

Enjoy : )
post edited by morenoise - 2011/11/09 11:30:05

37 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/05 14:36:58 (permalink)
    Pleasant, panning is a little confusing and there appears to be a hole in the middle. JMO

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/05 16:01:56 (permalink)
    I love the song.  Production is very good.  I felt some timing hesitations - as if one was waiting for the other to go first.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/05 16:34:03 (permalink)
    Nice tune.... 

Some interesting chord changes. I heard a few places where it sounded like the guitar landed the wrong note and bent or slid up rather than punching the goof up.

Like one (was it more?) that i commented on previously, the piano and guitar are both busy at the same time.... this makes it extremely hard to pick out, or follow a melodic theme or melody from either. 

I like the song, but I think enveloping or more pre-recording planning would bring out the beauty that lies within this tune.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/05 20:00:17 (permalink)
    This is great Rik and Janet! Rik, one thing you may want to consider is...there are times when you have to take the stage brother. The way this is mixed...is to me, confuses the listener due to how it's produced. When Janet is not the focal point, she needs to be thinned out and in the back. She hates when you do that to her lol...but it's something I've been trying to help her with. There are times when the piano needs to be huge and have a presence, other times it needs to be a supporting instrument and to me...this was one of those times.

You should have been centered with a bit of stereo imaging on your guitar and everything else should have been supporting you since to me, this seemed more like a guitar tune. I think it's awesome that you "share" the stage with Janet, but sometimes we have to do what is best for the mix on the whole. For example, we have this huge piano on the left that is sort of hitting the center pan as well as a bit of the right pan at times. It's so big, it makes your guitar sound small and sometimes non-existent. I would have done it the other way around. You are the biggest instrument in the mix and everything gets built around you. Anything sounding bigger than you, gets thinned out. That's really how things are supposed to work. When something takes a back seat in a song...it really needs to go to the back of the stage and support. It shouldn't remain the same size and just get lower...know what I mean?

Granted...there are no rules other than the ones you make yourself when you mix and produce a tune. But the standard starting points are the things I've covered. That said, the song and the playing were quite awesome as usual! You guys never disappoint and make a great team. :)

-Danny
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/11/05 20:01:54

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/05 23:03:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for piping in on this one, guys.  We certainly appreciate it.  I take all the blame for making this too busy.  He set the stage and I should played along better.  Guess I have tons to learn about that.  Maybe after a couple dozen more I'll get it.  :)  
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/06 01:22:52 (permalink)
    This is a really nice piece of music Rik/Janet. Great advice from Danni. I do think the guitar part plays a very nice supportive role in the piece for most of the duration. That could be testament to some great unselfish writing on Rik's behalf. The volume of the piano is bit overpowering at times. A bit of tweaking and this piece will sound super fantastic. The piano tone is perfect for this tho and the low notes sound great. I love the way it starts and the tone of both guitar parts sounds great. My favorite parts are the gel with piano and guitar at around 1:33 and 2:21 and the piano at around 2:42 is awesome. Rik may already know this because he's a guitarist but Al DiMeola and Chic Corea did some fantastic stuff with just piano and guitar like "Short Tales of the Black Forest" you might reference for mixing solo piano and guitar. I would imagine it's a huge challenge to mix with both instruments so exposed.  Very enjoyable listen.
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/06 08:13:01 (permalink)
    Much like the things I was trying to get through to you two on Softly I Go. Notes out of time to the point where they were fighting with the piano with the way it was arranged and mixed. As mentioned above let the instruments have their own space and stage time and don't be afraid if you are not as loud as the other person all of the time. Arrangement, dynamics and production are just as important as the performance. Without those you lose the music. I'd suggest listeni to som pro classical recordings and pay special attention to these qualities that I mentioned. You will hear that the instruments come in and out of the foreground dropping out to allow for other instruments to take the stage and not stepping on each other. Then go back and try to emulate those characteristics, just like my version of Softly I Go. You might want to use that as a comparison also. 

post edited by Scottytunes - 2011/11/06 09:32:37

String Jammer
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/06 11:04:08 (permalink)
    You should have been centered with a bit of stereo imaging on your guitar and everything else should have been supporting you since to me, this seemed more like a guitar tune.
    Now I understand Wookie's comment and I did notice what you are saying... I think it is a good tune and deserves a re-mix with Wookie's and Danny's thoughts in mind. I'd ike to hear it.

It is certainly a good tune worthy of more work. I enjoyed it.

Julien

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/06 11:22:03 (permalink)
    Janet & Rik.... you have to learn to listen with a critical ear and do what is best for the song...even if it means deleting a track and starting from scratch. 

It's not about the quantity of the songs you do, it's more about the quality of the songs you do. 

I sometimes still get that confused myself.... 

You both are talented and are creating beautiful music, but don't let the details slip through the cracks thinking the beauty of the song will cover for you. 
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/11/06 11:23:30

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/06 11:28:40 (permalink)
    Just to re-iterate some of things mentioned above; this is potentially a beautiful piece, there's some stunning playing going on, but you need to work on the arrangement, as it's not serving either instrument well right now. On occasion it sounded like two different pieces played at once, but when you do gel together it's quite lovely.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/06 13:12:33 (permalink)
    I listened to this yesterday and to be honest found it a little difficult/distracting to listen to. I didn't comment at the time as I thought that maybe it was just me after a day of recording/mixing other stuff, you know how it is sometimes...so I decided to leave it and come back another day.
    Listening again today I'm having much the same thoughts as I did yesterday......... its clear from this and your other material that you are both extremely competent on your respective instruments, of that there is no doubt, but at times this sounds like you're both just playing your own thing without much regard to the other and as a result sounds a bit jumbled in places.
    I think you need to rework it some and maybe allow each instrument to take over here and there and let it breathe a little rather than just both playing along all the time at the same levels, Just my opinion as a listener - I'm no expert.
    morenoise
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/08 14:02:16 (permalink)
    Hi All, have been mixing,fixing and remixing this piece the last couple days. Janet even went so far as to provide a different Piano part. I actually just sent Janet the final mix and then I listened to the original one more time. Surprise,surprise, after all that work I still like my original , warts and all. I'm sure all of you who had serious doubts about this piece have valid arguments but I like this piece how it is now, especially Janet's playing. So thanks again for listening.

Hi John ,  at least it's still pleasant.

Hi Mark, glad you still like it, timing and all.

Hi Herb, glad you noticed my articulation, i like to start a note to low and then slide up since you can't really bend nylon strings.

Hi Danny, thanks for the advice, will try to use it in the future, like the way this is now though.

Hi Janet, your part is perfect, thanks for playing along.

Hi Bobby, at least I've still got at least one fan : ). Thanks very much.

Hi Rhyno, Al di Meola and Chick Corea not much pressure there then, will have to try even harder,

Hi Scott, since I'm the one that didn't like what you did to "Softly I go" I'm not quite sure what to learn from that, but thanks anyway.

Hi, Julien, glad you still liked the tune.

Hi James , well it still has potential that's something.

Hi Paulo , thanks for listening, just listen to this a couple hundred times, it will grow on you.

Rik
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/08 14:28:17 (permalink)
    Rik, I first heard this on another forum, and I thought it sounded nice. I really liked the advice that Danni supplied free of charge. I also understand that you like it the way that it is, but what you told Paulo "just listen to it a couple hundred times and it will grow on you" is why other ears become so important, because the other ears do not have the investment that your ears have. Piece!

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/08 19:16:08 (permalink)
    morenoise

Hi Scott, since I'm the one that didn't like what you did to "Softly I go" I'm not quite sure what to learn from that, but thanks anyway.

Rik

There is much you could learn from that if you choose open your ears and mind and allow yourself to mature musically. If you'd heed the advice given in this thread rather than shun it, there will be no need for you to mix and remix and remix in the future.  You are very good at mixing a single guitar track. Maybe you should just stick to that.

String Jammer
    Janet
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/08 21:22:35 (permalink)
    Scott, you're one of the best musicians I've ever known.  Your prowess with several instruments and your productions never cease to astound me.  You are so far in a league by yourself it's not even funny.  I have no idea why, on SIG, we both and someone with way better ears than us, had issues with your mix.  Just different perspectives or the way we hear things or the way we want to hear things.  I don't know.  Your playing, as always, was impeccable, though.  And thank you so much for your contribution.  (if I had a dollar for every collab of mine that fell flat I could buy more software!)  :) 

On this particular mix, I think we both hear exactly what you and everyone else is saying. But Rik really loves the way he's put it together.  Obviously we both have a ton to learn and I worked my butt off trying to make my part what it seemed like you all were encouraging and I was very thankful for the input because it helps me hear things and get better.  (how I dearly miss Jimmy G. in that regard!)  Anyway, my new parts weren't cutting it for him, so he chose to leave it.  I'm satisfied with that and ready to move on.  Maybe we'll do it differently later...who knows.  

Thanks so much again to all of you for urging us to get better.  The input and camaraderie is  invaluable.  
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/08 22:03:11 (permalink)
    Janet/Rik,

This is beautiful.  I kind of agree with some of the other listener's suggestions but, if you're happy with it that's good enough for me.

It's always a pleasure to hear the two of you together.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/08 22:29:33 (permalink)
    Another great piece of music! I enjoyed this very much.

I like Danny's suggestion. I would go a step further and clone the Guitar track twice, then set the three side by side in the field. On one side use a low pass filter till it sounds very bassy. on the center track use a hi and low pass filter to take the low and hi away and on the last track use a hi pass filter making it trebley. You might be suprised how it makes the guitar sound more full.

I would not compare you to Al di Meola and Chick Corea. They are totally a different style than what your doing. Maybe Paco De Lucia, John Williams, Pepe Romero, Andres Segovia and other like that would be better. Sometimes I miss playing that stuff.

Janet, I think your great! You guys are pretty creative and look forward to more.

Well done! 

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Janet
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/09 09:13:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Gary.  :)

Thanks, GP.  :)  If he puts some of my new parts in some time, you may be even more impressed.  :) 
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/09 09:39:24 (permalink)
    well this one seems to have divided opinions. and what's weird is that for me, it sounds good as it is...listening on a laptop's speakers so maybe i am missing panning issues, but it sounds good to me, the balance was fine between piano and guitar. beautiful tune too. i won't spoil this impression by listening on headphones!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/09 10:03:38 (permalink)
      The first thing I thought of when I heard this was that it would make a great backing track to an old Clint Eastwood western flick. That's not a bad thing either:)

The piano was too much IMO if the idea is that this is a guitar piece.  Since the piano was less busy it seemed to me to be the dominant instrument with the guitar doing a busy background thing. JMO.Still this is a nice piece of music with really great musicianship. If I heard it in a busy restaraunt and had not been asked to specifically listen to it I would probably thought to myself, "this is nice relaxing music".........

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/09 10:48:12 (permalink)
    Lovely piece of music.   Janet's playing is very dynamic and the tender parts are quite tender.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    morenoise
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/09 11:36:22 (permalink)
    Hi All, I like the Clint Eastwood reference so go ahead make my day and listen to the new mix on Soundclick. This is my best interpretation of the advice given by y'all. Do you feel lucky, punk ?

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11193408
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/09 11:42:47 (permalink)
    as much as i liked the original, this remix is better balanced and seems more airy? great dramatic tune though

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/09 12:18:44 (permalink)
    Do you feel lucky, punk ?

As a Wookiee luck rarely come into it.

I think that it is first an foremost for the originator of a piece to be the final arbiter as to how the end product should sound.  Through the advice found here I have learnt to achieve that with my own efforts.

As I said originally a pleasant tune.  The incarnation I have just listen to from beginning to end sounds to my subjective ears more cohesive, winning a from me.  

But in the end it is Rik's and Janet's ears that have the final say for me.

Thank you for sharing Rik and Janet.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration 2011/11/09 13:08:07 (permalink)
    I love this tune. Shades of Albeniz. Very cool!

The mix sounds better!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration remix on soundclick 2011/11/09 13:19:13 (permalink)
    Rik,

I missed the original version posted so can't comment on that, but, what you have posted now sounds really good to me in all regards.  
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration remix on soundclick 2011/11/09 13:51:19 (permalink)
    Much better!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration remix on soundclick 2011/11/15 22:03:27 (permalink)
    I didn't hear the first version, but I do like this one.
    I think you have struck a nice balance, and above all, the artistry comes through.
    I like that.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:"Breathing" another Janet and Rik collaboration remix on soundclick 2011/11/16 11:56:26 (permalink)
    Really pretty.  I like the way you guys work together.  I agree with a few of the crits about balancing the instruments as they are featured.  It's a nice tune to listen to, hey, that's what music is for!  Success.  :-)

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1