"Buffer over-run detected..."

Author
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
2009/03/22 17:37:22 (permalink)

"Buffer over-run detected..."

I get a microsoft promt now when i open MC3 "buffer over-run detected there is a corruption in the program and has to be terminated..."

I tried opening it twice and i get this message. When it closes i have to reboot the pc to get CW to open again, only to get the same prompt. It happened when i tried to 'insert' the ABAKOS synth.
I reboot and try to open another CW project and it opens. I 'insert' a different synth and no problem....Then, when i try to insert the ABAKOS synth i get the over run promt and it crashes.
I've been using this synth for years...never a problem before.

Does anyone know why I'm getting this and what it means???

THank you.
post edited by No How - 2009/03/22 19:17:54

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull

21 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/22 20:21:59 (permalink)
    Rick, i am not sure, but i suspect that the synth has become corrupted. I would delete it from the VST folder and redownload it back fresh from the site.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/22 20:23:20 (permalink)
    Maybe the synth has been corrupted someway.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    No How
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/22 20:45:25 (permalink)
    Robo, Herb,

Thanks....I'll dump it and reload.

I suspect that I'm out of memory though.
    I have 2GB. (bought 1GB last year).....Is there a way to get back some memory? I've been dumping all superflous programs and 'stuff'....i've just put in a new storage hard drive where i keep all big .wav and cakewalk files...and i put all our photos on the new drive....it has 92% free space still...
    How do i get more memory short of buying another card?

Thank you.

s o n g s

No How
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/22 20:48:36 (permalink)
    I went in my VST folder to dump it and i got: "ACCESS DENIED this file can not be deleted..."

s o n g s

No How
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/22 20:54:56 (permalink)
    I moved it out of VST folder and am uploading new file...i'll then run VST adapter and see if it flies.

s o n g s

Guitarhacker
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/22 20:58:53 (permalink)
    Man I hate it when that kinda stuff happens....

BMI/NSAI

No How
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/22 21:05:30 (permalink)
    Me tooooooooooooo.

My whole set up is so incredibly precarious and 'iffy'.....

I wouldn't care except that the abakos synth has a very deep bass i like and can't do without at this time (seeing i'm half way through a project with it.....)

I hope that is the problem....if it's memory that's needed i'm sunk.

s o n g s

Guitarhacker
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/22 21:48:14 (permalink)
    did you remove abakos and reinstall it? did it work OK?

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/22 23:22:52 (permalink)
    This is from MC Pro 24, the latest MC version I have, came out just before MC 3:

Getting the Most Out of Your PC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The maximum number of audio tracks you can expect to play on your computer depends on the audio sample rate, the speed of your hard disk, and the speed of your computer's CPU.

There are a variety of things you can do to increase the number of audio tracks and effects you can play on your computer, as outlined in the following table:

Approach...
    How it works...
    Avoid compressed disks
    If you use DoubleSpace, Stacker, or some other disk compression system, it will slow down playback of audio tremendously. Configure your system so that the Data directory is on a hard disk that is not compressed.
    Exit other programs
    The more programs you have open, the more CPU cycles you are taking away from your project. Exit any programs unnecessary to the task at hand.
    Refrain from other activity during playback
    If you open and close windows or do lots of editing while playback is in progress, you may steal CPU cycles that would otherwise be used for playback.
    Apply some audio effects offline
    If you are happy with your real-time effects, consider using the Process-Apply Audio Effects command to apply those effects offline. Then remove those effects from real-time use and free up lots of CPU power.
    Archive unused audio tracks
    Audio tracks that are muted continue to place a load on your processor. To lessen the burden and free up cycles to handle more audio, archive all unused audio tracks. See To Archive or Unarchive Tracks for more information.
    Mix down your audio tracks
    If your project contains many different audio tracks or many real-time effects, you can use the Edit-Bounce to Track(s) command to reduce all of this content to a stereo track. Having done this, you can archive the original tracks (in case you need them later) and play only the new tracks, lessening the computational burden on your computer. For more information, see Mixing Down and Distributing Audio.
    Change I/O Buffer Size on the Advanced tab of the Audio Options dialog box
    Most hard disks work best with the default setting of 64 KB. Yours may work better with 128, 32, or 16. If those values don't help, try 256, 512, or move on to another remedy.
    Defragment your hard disk
    If your hard disk is fragmented, playback of audio will be slower. Use the Disk Defragmenter to correct the situation.
    Turn off the Clip Audio Mix Upon Overflow option on the Advanced tab of the Audio Options dialog box.
    Unless your mix is really distorted, you won't usually need this option.
    Turn off the Apply Dither option on the Advanced tab of the Audio Options dialog box.
    Dithering subtly improves your mix, but most people can't hear it. Turn it back on for mastering.
    Enable disk caching
    By default, Music Creator bypasses all disk caching, which typically results in better performance with audio data. If your computer has a very large amount of RAM (128 MB or more) and your audio tracks include many repeated sections, enabling caching may improve Music Creator's audio performance. Choose Options-Audio and click the Advanced tab to change the disk cache settings.
    Record audio at a lower sampling rate
    If you don't require CD quality 44.1 kHz audio, then record your audio at a lower sampling rate of 22.05 kHz or 11.025 kHz. Choose Options-Audio to change the sampling rate. This method is useful only before you start work on a project. Once the audio sampling rate for a project has been set, it cannot be changed.
    Disable the Display Clip Contents options
    Drawing the contents of audio clips in the Clips pane uses some CPU cycles. If you are using a slow machine, you may want to disable this feature. To do so, right-click in the Clips pane, choose View Options, and disable the Display Clip Contents option.

Digital Audio Files and Storage
    Digital audio requires a large amount of disk storage. The table below shows the disk space requirements in megabytes for a single minute of digital audio in mono and stereo at various sampling rates:

Sampling rate
    16 bit
    11 kHZ Mono
    1.3 MB per minute
    11 kHZ Stereo
    2.5 MB per minute
    22 kHz Mono
    2.8 MB per minute
    22 kHz Stereo
    5.0 MB per minute
    44.1 kHZ Mono
    5.0 MB per minute
    44.1 kHZ Stereo
    10.1 MB per minute
    48 kHz Mono
    5.5 MB per minute
    48 kH Stereo
    11.0 MB per minute

You can also go to
    'Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance>Settings' and set visual effects to "Adjust for best performance" and on the Advanced tab, click the button for "Adjust for best performance of Background Services".

Make sure that all other programs are off; no virus scans, pop-up blockers, firewalls. Turn off the screen save and wall paper. Turn off any power management schemes that might be on. Turn off the Microsoft System Sounds.

There was some discussion about paging files recently, I don't remember who it was or which thread it was in, but research the "Virtual memory" setting in the same box where the Background Services button was. What is that? Could increasing the amount of virtual memory help?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/23 00:40:04 (permalink)
    I don't think "memory" works the way you are picturing. The 2 gig of ram is probably all you can use with the programs you have. Windows uses a certain amount of ram to operate, but will only recognize a certain amount, unless you know how to overclock or whatever it is called to tell windows to use more ram, and then c/w will use a portion, and then each softsynth and effect will use a certain percentage of that ram. But each program accesses that ram at intervals during their operation, and never really reside inside of that memory. Ram is "random access memory", and that is exactly how it is used by different programs, it is accessed as needed by each in a random, unpredictable manner. That said, when the ram is getting used by too many programs, the programs will "slow down". There is also the idea of the page file, and how the cpu will access that file, and when it is overloaded, the page file is bypassed and the cpu accesses space on the hard drive, which is slower than the ram stored page file, since there is a mechanical as well as electrical process involved at that point. Really taxing my memory of basic computer tech here, I would actually need to refer to old notes to get this all correct, but the idea I was going to is that you really can't clear out the ram, if a program needs it, it uses it, but once that program is turned off, the ram goes back to its natural empty state, nothing stays behind.
    This directs us to Greg's optimization plan from above. Shutting off un-needed, extraneous programs that might be running in the background, disconnecting from the net, shutting down antivirus programs, frees up ram. Adjusting the temporary page file allows the programs to run inside of the ram framework longer, maxing out the page file before the computer looks to the hard drive for help. And the read write times between the program and the hard drive is affected by the fragmentation of the drives.
    Did that help any?
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/23 08:22:49 (permalink)
    yeah - I agree, I don't think this is going to be a RAM problem.

first thing I would do if I were you is do a checkdisk on reboot (actually - FIRST thing is to back EVERYTHING up first!!!!). i'm betting you've got hard disk errors (not good!).

after backing your data files up, go to windows explorer and right click on your hard drive, choose PROPERTIES then click on the TOOLS tab, then click on ERROR CHECKING. click on both check boxes. If I'm not mistaken, this will then prompt you to schedule a scan on reboot. tell it YES, then reboot. allow it to scan for errors.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    No How
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/23 10:55:16 (permalink)
    Herb, I did reload another link of the download and it seems to be working fine. I am completely baffled as to why it all of a sudden went corrupt on me.

Gregg, THat's a very handy list. Thanks. I have been pretty darn good about abiding to it's recommendations all along. I've had CPU issues before so i run cakewalk pretty dry with no other programs going. My big thing is that i have many fx and mixing tools going in my bins while doing a project. I need to bounce to track more often.

Albert, Thank you for the info on RAM....i had it completely wrong...it's more of a passive environment than an amount of 'stuff'... i think there was something here:
    There is also the idea of the page file, and how the cpu will access that file, and when it is overloaded, the page file is bypassed and the cpu accesses space on the hard drive, which is slower than the ram stored page file, since there is a mechanical as well as electrical process involved at that point. Really taxing my memory of basic computer tech here, I would actually need to refer to old notes to get this all correct, but the idea I was going to is that you really can't clear out the ram, if a program needs it, it uses it, but once that program is turned off, the ram goes back to its natural empty state, nothing stays behind.

This may be why the abakos wouldn't run...too many other demands at once?...could that be an 'over-run'?
    Thank you.

Beag, I took the ABAKOS synth out of my VST folder (it wouldn't allow me to delete it) and re-downloaded it from another site. I ran the VST adaptor and it uploaded fine. It's working and I haven't had the promt.
    I am a bit worried as this has never happened before and i've had it for years. Should i still run the test you prescribed?
    THank you!
    post edited by No How - 2009/03/23 10:56:03

s o n g s

Beagle
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/23 12:07:27 (permalink)
    well - first I do suggest you do backups immediately. and then if I were you I'd probably go ahead and do the disk check. most of the time it will find problems and fix them and you will be OK. sometimes however, with a disk that's going bad - it will cause it to be unusable. that's rare, but I have seen it happen - but when that happens - the disk is on it's way to the drive in the sky anyway - it's only a matter of time. but most of the time as long as the drive just has a few errors, that will solve your problems.

57Gregy
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/23 12:28:05 (permalink)
    the disk is on it's way to the drive in the sky anyway

You might want to create a recovery disk, too, if you haven't done so already. This will allow you to make a copy of your computer's programs and settings which you can use to reload Windows on the new HD if yours crashes. For my computer, that used 3 DVDs for the recovery disks, it would have taken 10, or 11 CDs for the same copy. I think you're allowed to copy it once, to install on the same computer if the HD crashes. Saves the trouble, time and possible expense of trying to get another copy of Windows if the worst happens.
    Sorry if I'm repeating things you already know.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

No How
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/23 12:34:16 (permalink)
    I think i have a set of 'backup cds' from somewhere and i did put a lot of my Cakewalk files and VST files on CD.

I will do a backup on DVD to be safe.
    Is there a command to run to make backup files or do i just start copying everything?

THanks, Gregg.

Rick

s o n g s

Beagle
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/23 12:37:18 (permalink)
    unless you have a 3rd party backup program like Acronis then I'd just copy data on the DVD's.

57Gregy
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/23 12:40:43 (permalink)
    On my computer, there was a command, somewhere, to make a recovery disk set. It gives you all the necessary instructions on how and when to do things. If you've already done it, you can't do it again, so since I did it, the app I used probably disappeared. I'll look around and see if it's still there.

Greg 

No How
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/23 12:51:20 (permalink)
    I know you're gonna laugh your buttskis off but aside from the usual files i want to keep, which are the actual windows xp files that run the whole show are where might they be? Everything in 'program files'? "Documents and Settings"?or would it be somewhere else?

Thank you...i just don't want to do all this and find out it was in a place i overlooked.
    post edited by No How - 2009/03/23 12:57:18

s o n g s

57Gregy
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/23 12:51:35 (permalink)
    I have an HP computer with Windows XP, and it's under Start>All Programs>PC Help and Tools>HP-PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator. When I clicked it, I got the message that since I already made one, I couldn't do it again. I have my DVDs in a safe place, too.

Greg 

No How
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/23 12:52:41 (permalink)
    OK....I'll check it out when i get home....

Big thanks!

s o n g s

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: "Buffer over-run detected..." 2009/03/23 13:53:05 (permalink)
    No - How,
    Unfortunately, There are a lot of Trojans and Virus's out there that will infect a DLL, and cause this same symptom. Hopefully, yours will be a simple correctable fix, but Please .... Make sure you do a complete virus scan of your system.

When ever I get an error message I'm not sure of, or don't know why it would occur ( as in this case ) I will google it to get an idea of what may have caused it .... and I noticed a lot of Malware hits.....

-TAP-
    post edited by Tap - 2009/03/23 13:58:56

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1