Building a "dream PC"

Author
rudy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2006/07/21 13:17:58 (permalink)

Building a "dream PC"

Hi, all, just looking for some feedback.

I've been using MC for several years and LOVE it! But I've had that software loaded on my "main" PC that, too often, gets loaded with other software and now I'm experiencing many dropouts. I suspect it’s because there’s garbage running in the background that’s taking up needed resources. So I'm planning on building a "dream PC" that will be dedicated to nothing but recording.

I have a genuine Intel motherboard with Intel chipset, a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor and will be shutting off every feature on the motherboard that might require some nonessential service to be running in the background. I have 512MB of RAM and a 40 GB HDD running @ 7200 RPM.

From everything I've read so far in this forum and other publications that is about the best I can hope for given my budget. My biggest concern at this point and one that I do have an option in changing is the sound card. The motherboard has a built-in Realtek ALC202A audio codec and I would use that if it serves the purpose. But I wonder if, in your opinion, it's better to purchase a separate sound card. If so what might you recommend for a decent sound card that won't break my limited piggy bank?

Also, the majority of recording I do is analog. It is very, very rare that I use MIDI. On the occasions where I have used MIDI I do so by using Edirol's Sound Canvas soft synth and plan on installing that software on this PC, too.

So, if you wanted to build a dedicated PC for the purpose of recording what other suggestions might you offer?

Thanks so much for letting me burrow into your heads - I promise not to scratch your brains once I'm in there.

-Rudy

7 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Building a "dream PC" 2006/07/22 02:07:14 (permalink)
    A decent mid level computer, like an AMD 3500+ 2 gigs of ram, two hard drives one for programs one for project files, a video card and a dedicated audio card or interface. Others will lean toward a dual core raging machine, but unless you are going to make a living at this a regualr board will do fine, good fast ram and nice fast hard drives and a superior sound interface will make it all come together.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Building a "dream PC" 2006/07/22 08:32:33 (permalink)
    I have a genuine Intel motherboard with Intel chipset, a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor and will be shutting off every feature on the motherboard that might require some nonessential service to be running in the background. I have 512MB of RAM and a 40 GB HDD running @ 7200 RPM.
    This is not a bad system, except I would suggest at least 1M of fast RAM and possibly a larger HD. I bought a 160G a few weeks ago JUST for audio data and it was only ~$60 shipped.

The motherboard has a built-in Realtek ALC202A audio codec and I would use that if it serves the purpose. But I wonder if, in your opinion, it's better to purchase a separate sound card. If so what might you recommend for a decent sound card that won't break my limited piggy bank?
    Realtek = Any onboard sound card is less than ideal for recording. They weren't designed for recording. Neither were the SoundBlasters, but they're much better than the on board systems and in some cases can do decent work. If you have the money, tho, I would recommend one of the following as an entry level card: M-audio 2496 or EMU 0404
    And even tho I own an M-audio card and LOVE it (the drivers are excellent), the 0404 might be a better deal (but I've never owned one) because they have newer designed A/D converters and they have balanced I/O where the 2496 has unbalanced I/O. (m-audio's balanced I/O systems are the Audiophile 192 or Delta 44 or above).
    post edited by Beagle - 2006/07/22 08:46:13

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Greek2Me
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 272
    RE: Building a "dream PC" 2006/07/22 09:37:33 (permalink)
    What about the connection to the MIDI instrument? When I heard that there was a USB/MIDI cable, I was ready to go get one (assuming USB 2.0 was the hottest thing out there). But now I've come across posts that suggest that USB has some bandwidth limitations??? Is the old style MIDI cable from the instrument into "game port" on a sound card still the best for MC?

MAN! Sure are a lot of little details to figure out! Glad for this forum where novice and experienced user can cross paths. Thanks all.

Ginoskein auton kai gnoridzo auton, touto ho skopos moi

To know Him, and to make Him known, this my goal.
    rudy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Building a "dream PC" 2006/07/22 12:34:46 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for the information. I echo Greek2Me's response. This forum is the best. When I first started out with MC I would have pitched the whole thing in the can and walked away if it wouldn't have been for the great advice found on these pages. All of those little details that made my system not work properly or at all were covered here and got me up and running.

Kudos to all you brilliant folks who know much more about the hidden secrets of the software and hardware and are willing to share your wealth of information. And kudos to those who dreamt up and maintain this forum. You're worth your weight in enriched plutonium!

-Rudy
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Building a "dream PC" 2006/07/22 14:20:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Greek2Me

What about the connection to the MIDI instrument? When I heard that there was a USB/MIDI cable, I was ready to go get one (assuming USB 2.0 was the hottest thing out there). But now I've come across posts that suggest that USB has some bandwidth limitations??? Is the old style MIDI cable from the instrument into "game port" on a sound card still the best for MC?

MAN! Sure are a lot of little details to figure out! Glad for this forum where novice and experienced user can cross paths. Thanks all.

I own a MIDI/USB converter cable for use with my Delta 44 since it does not have MIDI I/O. There are limitations to USB, bandwidth in itself is not a problem for MIDI in any way. MIDI doesn't travel anywhere near the limitations of a USB 1.1 system even fully fanned (maximum # of USB peripherals attached). MIDI's limitations come when you try to do simultaneous recording and playback externally, but even then it depends on how many simultaneous inputs you're trying to record.

The joystick port of a sound card will work fine if you already have that port on your sound card. If you plan to purchase a new sound card for recording, then I would suggest you get something better like the two cards I mentioned above which both have MIDI I/O connectors on them.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Building a "dream PC" 2006/07/23 01:36:25 (permalink)
    My brother the programmer decided to get into the home recording thing (I wonder where he got that idea?) and bought a used Mini Korg and built his own computer to use as his music box. Ordered all the parts, put it together, installed one of the Home Studio programs and it works fine. Looks good, too. $1600.00. I don't know all the specs, but it's a killer machine. I'm envious. Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    dave sitting at home
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Building a "dream PC" 2006/07/23 23:30:19 (permalink)
    DAW Envy....I know the more power the better, but what I have is nothing special and it works great. I won't be opening a recording studio, but it works fine for me. I did have an old HP Pavillion that I started out on, it worked OK but I could tell the more tracks I laid down the slower it was and latency was an issue. I now have a new HP, 512RAM, 100 Gig hard drive, and 2.something Gz processor. It was a floor model at Future Shop for $370.00. Now I have my old computer doing all the mundane things like e-mail, paying bills, and loggin on to Cakewalk forums, and my other one just does DAW stuff. I also picked up a used TASCAM US224 surface controller/Audio/MIDI interface which works great. My point is, if you are just starting out and tight on spendooleos, something basic still will work. Shop around.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1