Building a meter bridge for Sonar

Author
sarmad_dehnadi
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
2013/05/31 13:21:55 (permalink)

Building a meter bridge for Sonar

Hello Everyone

I am using Sonar X2 + VS700c which is Sonar dedicated control surface.there is a meter for each fader of the surface which shows the status of the track the fader is controling at the moment. The problem is that the resolution of this hardwate meter is very low (just 5 LED) and also they are not eye catching .
Due to this fact that hardware meter is being fed be the midi data coming from software , I want to know if there is any chance that i can build a meter bridge that shows the status of all project tracks at once. Lets say 32 channel.

Thanks for the replies in advance.
post edited by sarmad_dehnadi - 2013/05/31 16:18:20

5 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Building a meter bridge for Sonar 2013/05/31 17:10:03 (permalink)
    I would do it with real VU meters too as a separate add on unit. That would be incredible. It would be a lot of work. You need to find the point in the circuitry where those meters are getting their signal in the signal flow. Then you would have to get those individual signals out and into a meter circuit.

A much easier option is to invest in some nice meter VST's and there and plenty out there. Then you just insert them in various points in your signal chain for a more detailed overview of what the signal level is doing at that point. There are many meter types such as peak, VU, typical DAW meters but larger and more detailed etc..I think there meters on the V700C are more or less just letting you know there is signal present. And clipping etc..

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    sarmad_dehnadi
    Re:Building a meter bridge for Sonar 2013/06/01 00:06:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply. I actually meant Building a device to receive MIDI data from sonar and feeds our real meter bridge . Possible?
    Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    Re:Building a meter bridge for Sonar 2013/06/04 08:08:56 (permalink)
    Moving VU meters really are a bit of a must as you can get so much info from the swing of the needle...plus they look awesome.

There are some good options like Jeff has hinted to and I'm (slowly) putting a JLM kit in place for my VUs once the new space is ready...soon.

You should definitely be able to gather the relevant midi data and put something together....not a bad third party product idea that has crossed the mind more than once before. 'If' I get the chance I'll do some sniffing of the midi data and see what comes up...it would be possible but need some checking into to be sure.

Cheers.

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    Re:Building a meter bridge for Sonar 2013/06/04 08:13:10 (permalink)
    Update: it's already plenty of discussion about it all already.... here's one such discussion: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,20021.0.html

Check this out: http://vmeter.net/

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    sarmad_dehnadi
    Re:Building a meter bridge for Sonar 2013/06/09 01:41:45 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot Mully.  I checked the websites you mentioned. The firt one was about MIDI velocity meter while I was looking for the Audio meter.
    The second link was very interesting but as far as I understood there is no way that we can make that product to act as a audio meter for channels in SONAR.

I noticed that there is a lack of mid level mixing surface in the market so although I have VS700c console I am looking forward to buy MCU+ EXTENDERS  to have more fader on my desk but I will do this when I can have a meter bridge for at least 24 Channels of audio and these meters should represent the software meter data (using some kind of midi protocol)and also should have the ability of banking in  instances that there are more that 24 tracks.
    Because such a meter bridge is not in the market I am looking for a way to build it my self. I am not a software guy but have a good knowledge on hardware side and also I have some friends who are professional hardware engineers.

If we can collaborate on this subject on the net( software/ hardware) I am sure we can make a meter bridge which does not only looks good bu also is one of a kind !!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1