Helpful ReplyBuilding my first custom PC - Please make sure I don't waste my money!

Author
skitch_84
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 480
2016/01/27 19:46:41 (permalink)

Building my first custom PC - Please make sure I don't waste my money!

(Update: I added an HDD and a GPU per suggestions on VI Control - updated URL below)

Hey everyone,

I'm enlisting the help of this awesome community to take a look at the parts I have chosen on PC Parts Picker, make sure I'm on the right track, and provide suggestions for some things I'm not sure about. 

I should note that this computer is going to be used solely for music production. It will run Windows 10 and I use Sonar Platinum. I'll be using my Presonus Audiobox USB as an interface, so I won't need a soundcard. I also work entirely with sample libraries and won't be doing any actual recording of instruments through microphones (as much as I'd like to, I live in an apartment and just don't have the environment for it). Don't worry about keyboards, monitors, mouse, etc. I'm more concerned about the innards. I plan on using two monitors though. 

Budget: $2,000 (ideally) to $2,500

First off, here's the link to the list I have going. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cNBrTW

If you see anything in there that doesn't look good for my purposes, let me know. The 250 GB SSD will be used for my operating system. I plan on dividing my sample libraries between the two 1TB SSDs. The motherboard supports up to 64GB of RAM, but I'm going to start with 32GB and add more as I need it. 

Here are the specific things I need suggestions on:

• A large HDD (2 or 3 TB should be good) to save my Sonar project files and the audio files that go with them.
  • A graphics card. I'm not going to be using the PC for gaming or anything like that, but I may need to be able to handle video if I end up scoring for film projects. I don't need a top of the line card here, but I need something that will handle video smoothly. If the motherboard on its own is enough, let me know, but I have a feeling I'll need something more. 

Okay, have at it. Any suggestions or tips will be greatly appreciated! 

post edited by skitch_84 - 2016/01/29 01:33:17

Chris Porter
www.cportermusic.com
Listen to my original work on Soundcloud and YouTube
Get my original soundtracks on Bandcamp 
Sonar Platinum "2017.04", Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS Z170-A, i7 6700K (4.0GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD 850 EVO (OS/Sonar/Plugins), 1TB SSD 850 EVO (Sample Libraries), 3TB WD Black HDD (projects/audio), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling Unit, PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface, M-AUDIO Oxygen49
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Building my first custom PC - Please make sure I don't waste my money! 2016/01/28 08:13:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mitch_I 2016/01/29 10:36:00
I suggest you get in touch with Jim Roseberry here on the forum. He is a PC builder but for a small fee he will give you a parts list of compatible parts with links on where to buy them. He'll also put you onto a variety of software for testing and burning in.

Remember that no matter how good your choices are Jim has actual experience with all the CPUs and MOBOs etc and knows which ones work best together for a certain budget. Best $40 I ever spent. I just don't have problems with my PC and its 4 years old now and still screaming along.

You'll find that Jim will have unanimous approval among the members. As well as that he gigs (keyboards) and uses Sonar.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Building my first custom PC - Please make sure I don't waste my money! 2016/01/28 12:44:43 (permalink)
mudgel
I suggest you get in touch with Jim Roseberry here on the forum....

+1000

Jim absolutely will steer you right, and whatever you pay him for the consult will more than pay for itself in that he will eliminate most, if not all, of the guesswork for your build.  You don't want to find out the hard way a month from now that you bought a component that's not DAW/ audio-friendly....

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
skitch_84
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 480
Re: Building my first custom PC - Please make sure I don't waste my money! 2016/01/28 18:27:36 (permalink)
mudgel
I suggest you get in touch with Jim Roseberry here on the forum. He is a PC builder but for a small fee he will give you a parts list of compatible parts with links on where to buy them. He'll also put you onto a variety of software for testing and burning in.

Remember that no matter how good your choices are Jim has actual experience with all the CPUs and MOBOs etc and knows which ones work best together for a certain budget. Best $40 I ever spent. I just don't have problems with my PC and its 4 years old now and still screaming along.

You'll find that Jim will have unanimous approval among the members. As well as that he gigs (keyboards) and uses Sonar.

JonD
mudgel
I suggest you get in touch with Jim Roseberry here on the forum....

+1000

Jim absolutely will steer you right, and whatever you pay him for the consult will more than pay for itself in that he will eliminate most, if not all, of the guesswork for your build.  You don't want to find out the hard way a month from now that you bought a component that's not DAW/ audio-friendly....

Thanks for the tip! I actually contacted Jim about purchasing one of his custom DAWs, but since I live in Japan the shipping is far too expensive. I'm pleased to know that he offers consultation. I sent him an email! 

Chris Porter
www.cportermusic.com
Listen to my original work on Soundcloud and YouTube
Get my original soundtracks on Bandcamp 
Sonar Platinum "2017.04", Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS Z170-A, i7 6700K (4.0GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD 850 EVO (OS/Sonar/Plugins), 1TB SSD 850 EVO (Sample Libraries), 3TB WD Black HDD (projects/audio), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling Unit, PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface, M-AUDIO Oxygen49
bent4life
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 176
Re: Building my first custom PC - Please make sure I don't waste my money! 2016/01/30 10:35:21 (permalink)
Hey Chris, I'm in Japan as well, and I've used Jim's services a few times - can't go wrong with him. 

Win 7 Pro x64; i7 3770k; 16GB RAM; Sonar Platinum; Moto Ultralite-mk4
jeteague
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: Building my first custom PC - Please make sure I don't waste my money! 2016/01/30 12:50:39 (permalink)
I certainly second (third or fourth?) the advice to consult with a pro.
  It seems to me, if you will be doing video work, you will need a powerful graphics card, as in a good "gaming" card.
Better call Jim.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1