Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar

Author
DerGeist
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 329
2010/08/04 08:19:52 (permalink)

Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar

I figured it might be fun to piece together a guitar from Warmoth parts. I'm not trying to save any money or build a masterpiece. Just wanting to do something I havn't done before and end up with a playable guitar in the end.

My plan is for a Tele Duluxe body in Alder (or..?) with a maple strat neck (required by the neck socket) with an ebony fretboard, and some Lollar humbuckers.

As I mentioned this is all a  bit new to me but the only part that really concerns me is the mounting of the pickups and the wiring. Could somone point me to a resouce on how guitar wiring is done? Google has turned up a few things but I'm not 100% sure about them.

19 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/04 09:03:38 (permalink)
    It's all real easy. That is the genius of Leo fender and his modular design.

It's hard for me to surf and give you links but as I recall Acme Guitarworks has good info as does Stewart Macdonald. There must be dozens, maybe hundreds, of good websites with this info.

Let me share a caution with you. Your most important decision will be deciding who will install the "nut" on your new neck.

Warmoth does a great job of this but charges extra.

If they do it you can probably trust the job they do, but if you really want a pro setup then you'll need some special nut files that are made for the proper gauges.

Stewart Macdonald sells nut files and nut file kits... I've had them for years and they really make the difference. Once you are confident in using the nut files you can dial in a great set up.

One caveat, for the very best set up the size of the string set needs to be identified before any serious work on the nut is performed.

I like to build bolt on neck guitars... it's lot's of fun and very easy.

best regards,
    mike

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/08/04 17:35:02

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/04 10:04:06 (permalink)
    Seymour Duncan has a really cool site with tons of wiring options and drawings.  I use it all the time.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/04 10:46:13 (permalink)

I'm not trying to save any money or build a masterpiece. 

If you build a Warmoth you may end up with a masterpiece..........

They are amongst the very best if not the best at self builds..............

Price wise.......the sky is the limit.............

I just repainted and re-assembled my MID 80's Warmoth ...'Super Strat"/"Soloist"

It is the axe on the right................

Birds Eye Maple /Rosewood Neck

Solidy Mahogany Body

Genuine Floyd  Rose bridge

Rockinger Locking Nut

EMG 81/85

I play this guitar the most....it is my total favorite.............

I am a bit biased when it comes to Warmoth.....I currently live about 30 miles south of their operation and grew up blocks from it.............My wife and I both went to HS with the owners daughters.

Many professionals have used their either Warmoth/Boogie Body.......necks and bodies.............as well as full custom builds.........

Have fun.....

When your done you'll appreciate that insturment just a little more............
    post edited by zungle - 2010/08/04 10:47:38
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/04 10:59:21 (permalink)
    And....
    The Fender "Show Master" on the left is a sweet little neck thru guitar....very much a discontinued sleeper..........some 'Fender" enthusiest collect 'em.

But if you pick up the "Warmoth" the quality and feel will almost knock you out when comparing  it the "Show Master'.....it is that much nicer.

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/04 11:32:48 (permalink)

what i learned in my research on building a project guitar 

yeah, i know, it's blahblahblahblah..
    but i thought i'd share for anyone who is interested in building project guitars..

in my years of playing, and building the odd project here and there, the one thing that i consistently saw, was that if it sounded spanky without being plugged in, it'd sound spanky plugged in.

and if it sounded dead sitting in the shop, and if i plugged it in, dead.

(now, this is not to be confused with lots of gain, and radical tone shaping, and all that...
    just the basic pure sound of the guitar amplified, versus acoustically playing it)

and i've switched out bridges and electronics, even nuts, and they all did do a little something....

but i think the magic comes from the 'tone' of the neck, and the 'tone' of the body.

and then the mojo is, marrying the two together.

when i researched and built my USACG project strat my luthier and i, had at our disposal, 5 strats in house, for sell or repairs or work....
    3 fender strats of various vintage and country of origin (korean, MIM, MIJ)....
    and 2 brand new american made strats.

we had my luthier's WARMOTH strat and neck....

plus, we had a few other strat wannabes-- Godin, Ibanez, the odd project guitar..

we did, at various points in the discovery process, take apart most of them.

one thing i noticed, was that certain 'necks' would not pass the 'tap test'.

what the tap test was, was simply hanging the neck (with all hardware off of it) from a hanger thru a machine head hole, and 'tapping' on the wood with the finger. 

you could rap the back of the neck with your knuckle, and you could hear a distinct 'ring' or 'tone' in the wood.
    every single neck was different.
    some were solid maple, some maple with maple caps, some with rosewood caps....

all different.
    as you would expect.

but some were dead sounding, and some were very lively.

needless to say, the 'lively' sounding necks, sounded the best on the bodies.

the bodies, a similar thing.
    when i asked for my strat body, i decided on alder, and i specifically asked for the 'lightest 2-piece alder body' they had...

why 2 piece?
    i don't know, i guess cuz the nicest body i found in the test, was a lightweight, 2 piece body that had a nitro finish on it, so that's what i patterned after.

i also had read a lot of articles on pros that had vintage strats, and that seemed to be a common thread.

when i got my alder body, while it was still raw, it had that 'tap tone'.

now when we experimented with various pieces at hand, you could hear the difference in the overall sound of the guitar (plugged in or not) when switching the necks out with different bodies.

also, the necks that had vintage style truss rods (one of the reasons i went with the USACG necks over the warmoth necks) was another big 'aha'.

it seems that, the way the wood is cut, and how the truss rod was installed, made the biggest difference of all, over wood types and fingerboard selection...

i took a maple/rosewood warmoth neck, with a gibson conversion scale, the double expanding truss rod thingy (which really makes the neck heavier and somewhat dead sounding) and a/b'd it against my freshly minted USACG neck with rock maple neck and pau ferro fretboard, basically the same neck as the usacg, except for the truss rod and the fret wood.

no contest.

my neck had the 'tap tone', and the warmoth did not.
    plain and simple.....

i was absolutely convinced.

another difference BETWEEN my neck and the warmoth i compared to, in particular was the construction of the 'tiltback' headstock.
    the usacg uses a volute construction...
    the warmoth used scarf joint.
    that seems to have some bearing as well.

moral of the story....
    it's gotta be the wood.

my USACG strat project 

tall version:
    http://img707.imageshack..../9003/fullsideedit.jpg

(headshot)

BACK OF HEADSTOCK:
    http://img823.imageshack...mg823/7802/pa060018.jpg

(side headshot)

(jackplate)

(bill lawrence pickups, and the hipshot trem)

(backshot)

All USACG body and neck.

body: lightweight Alder 2-piece, with a contoured heel, side jack, tummy route, fall-away cut out on the back side of the bottom bout for upper fret access.

neck: hardrock maple neck, with a pau ferro fingerboard. 6150 frets, 1-5/8" nut width. small fender-style headstock.
    Gibson scale length neck, 22 frets, fingerboard radius, of 12". the shape of the neck is a thin "C" shape, with a .78" neck thickness at the 1st fret, up to .85 at the 13th, mother of pearl dot inlays.
    vintage truss with access at face of headstock.

headstock: tiltback design, 13 degrees, graphtech nut.

Bridge:Hipshot 6 String US Contour Tremolo Chrome. 

pickups: humbucker-single-single, Bill Lawrence L-500L and L-280s (n & m)
    Q filter for master tone, and a master volume. (500k pots)

Scratchplate: done by Warmoth, it's a slightly custom shape, with the 1st volume knob hole removed, and my luthier cut the hole for the Lawrence pickup (not a standard size) to match. 

Paint:
    done by USACG custom guitars, it's all NITRO, and very very thin. 

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/04 12:37:50 (permalink)
    There are 2 parts to wiring - knowing how to solder and understanding how the wiring works/where the wires go.

Decent soldering requires the proper iron and some practice. If you don't know how to do it, get someone else to help, or start practicing. Having a multi meter to test things is highly recommended (essential?) as well.

In terms of what wires go where, the Unofficial Warmoth forum has a wiring board with links and plenty of people to answer specific questions (of course you should do some reading/searching first if you have a "beginner" question):
    http://www.unofficialwarm..com/index.php?board=5.0

I've built 3 so far, just starting a 4th. All give me more or less exactly what I wanted (Note: you have to know what you want before you start), and sound and play as well or better as anything else I've played:

The Surf Green P/J:

The Fireburst Strat:
    The Rosewood "Twelecaster":
    And my current project, a Walnut WGD:

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/04 16:10:00 (permalink)
    that wgd reminds me of an alembic. cool.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

drewfx1
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/04 16:51:21 (permalink)
    Technically, it's supposed to be sort of like Jerry Garcia's Doug Irwin built "Tiger" (or "Rosebud") guitars, but that's sort of the same family as Alembic:

http://dozin.com/jers/jers/guitars/tiger/info.html
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/04 17:42:47 (permalink)
    That Tele looks wicked cool!

DerGeist
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/05 07:33:29 (permalink)
    Thanks all,
    there is a lot of good information here. It was nice to see some examples of some home builds --- great, now I have something to compare mine to :)

I plan to have warmoth do the nut. It seems like something I would be likley to screw up so I will leave that to the Pros, until the next time maybe.

That Seymour Duncan page is great. Its a pretty great business model, I had a good look through their pickups when I was there. Those Antiquity Seth Lover pickups look nice...real nice.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/05 12:28:07 (permalink)
    I am watching my DAW backup 700GB of info... :-)

So I decided to spend a moment to take a few snap shots of my most recent build:

Swamp Ash body and a Maple neck with Lindy fralin Real "54's".

drewfx1
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/05 13:20:02 (permalink)
    Wow. Stop it Mike!

I think you nailed it with that one, and now you're making me want another Strat.

DerGeist
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/05 16:52:13 (permalink)
    It looks disturbingly like a G&L legacy strat I own. Nice finish.
    Genghis
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/05 20:06:08 (permalink)
    Some really nice axes posted here.  Just wanted to chime in as another Warmoth user.  (Only have the small pic in my avatar handy.) 

Due to a lack of tools and my poor eyesight, I had most of mine put together for me by a local tech, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out.  It's by far the best guitar I've ever owned.  A friend of mine tried it out and now has 3 Warmoth necks on various axes; 2 Strats and an old refinished Ibanez lawsuit Les Paul that he had parts for.  Once he found out you could order the dimensions the exact way he wanted them he was hooked.  I plan on getting at least one more in the next year or two.  Just gotta come up with a little extra money and decide what I want next.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
    My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    craigfowler
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 356
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/05 21:54:07 (permalink)
    DerGeist

I figured it might be fun to piece together a guitar from Warmoth parts. I'm not trying to save any money or build a masterpiece. Just wanting to do something I havn't done before and end up with a playable guitar in the end.

My plan is for a Tele Duluxe body in Alder (or..?) with a maple strat neck (required by the neck socket) with an ebony fretboard, and some Lollar humbuckers.

As I mentioned this is all a  bit new to me but the only part that really concerns me is the mounting of the pickups and the wiring. Could somone point me to a resouce on how guitar wiring is done? Google has turned up a few things but I'm not 100% sure about them.

I've had lots of success with Warmoth builds, and second/third the suggestions for the Stewmac/Acme pages. You mentioned the Seth Lover pickups, and I have one of those in a tele thinline that is my favorite guitar. It's a great sounding pickup.

I prefer USACG to deal with - if there's a SNAFU on your order, they'll be right on it to straighten things out. I've not had problems with Warmoth in this area, but the prices are now so similar that unless there was something I just had to have from their Showcase, I'd go to USACG every time (edit to add: I have friends who *have* had bad service experiences from Warmoth that they've not been good about fixing - it's partly a luck of the draw thing in terms of who picks up your call...but at USACG, I've ALWAYS spoken directly with Tommy).

FWIW, if you need a resource on finishing, check out the ReRanch forum, which is fantastic (and a good source of expensive-but-good nitro if you'll need it).

post edited by craigfowler - 2010/08/05 21:55:50
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/06 08:58:06 (permalink)
    Hi Craig,
     Thanks for the link to Reranch. I have been trying to remember that link for a while now. Their custom colored nitro seems like a great product.

best regards,
    mike

DerGeist
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/06 12:23:24 (permalink)
    Any recommendations on how to remove chrome, or at least dull it up a bit?

My plan is to get Gotoh vintage tuning keys and most likley seymour duncun antiquity pickups. This will give all of my hardware an older look. The only strat type fixed-bridges I can find are bright shiny chrome (or black or gold which I don't want).

Any idea where I can find a more vingate looking strat bridge or "age" a chrome bridge.

DerGeist
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/06 12:28:14 (permalink)
    Batsbrew, how do you like the pau ferro fretboard? Its the fretboad wood I am considering. I hear all sorts of rumours about allergic reactions etc.
    drewfx1
    Re:Building (piecing together) a Warmoth Guitar 2010/08/06 13:07:29 (permalink)
    My strat has a Pau Ferro FB and I can say it's beautiful and there are no issues. I love mine:

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1