Buying questions

Author
Westside Steve
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 794
2009/07/17 08:45:17 (permalink)

Buying questions

So is the 200 buck rebate for Sonar owners from Cakewalk or the retailer? There are differing prices.

I assume the I/O is rock solid and top notch pre amps and AD convertors, right?

I assume the Fantom module is a world class synth and will take pressure off the CPU when using softsynths, right?

Is there a "best" motherboard and video card to use?
Is Xeon quad a better option than Pentium quad?

Windows 7 64 bit cool?
Any other hardware issues that need to be a priority in building a new system?

Thanks, it's been a pretty good summer maybe I oughta puyll the trigger this fall.

Thanks for your ideas.

WSS

6 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Buying questions 2009/07/17 10:20:09 (permalink)
    Steve,

the rebate comes from Cake, I think. I tested a vs700 for a review, didn't buy it.

As far as the preamps/conversion, they are great. You get a very clean, detailed sound. I didnt' get a chance to listen side by side at an SSL/apogee facility like I'd hoped, but compared recordings of a band done there with those in my home studio (yes, unfair comparision w/ the rooms and outboard gear) and the vs700 held up just fine. In short, you can add your favorite outboard gear for tracking (digital and analog) for character, but you won't be disappointed with the native sound. The only real problem was no inserts.

The fantom is fine. I didn't play with it that much, but it worked with an external keyboard for controller and sounded like fine S&S. If you are using it in lieu of a sampler unit, it should work fine. Didn't notice any cpu drain, and I had to use an older, single core unit since I couldn't get the usb drivers to load in my main computer. Cake helped, but didn't get it solved. Of course, if I had bought the thing I would have re-installed Vista 32 - it was probably the ilok.

Don't know about the specs for computer etc. I'm sure Cake could help there, they seem to have amassed a bunch of info so far and have a couple of guys just making sure the VS line rollout gets fast help.

I think you'll be surprised how well the controller works - it blew me away. If time is money, it can save a bunch of both. There is something natural about working with you hands on the board for not just mixing, but editing and jumping through a project. I found the right hand scroll bar and button combos excellent for navagation while leaving the single buttons on the left hand for editing functions. Worked much better than I had thought it would.

It looks fairly impressive, too, if you bring in clients.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Westside Steve
    RE: Buying questions 2009/07/17 10:28:04 (permalink)
    Thanks a million for the info AT.

I'm gonna guess that as a gold member you're pretty adept at mouse and keystroke editing and have your system running pretty smoothly thereby eliminating the need or desire to drop another four grand.

Or was there a more serious reason you didn't buy one?

Cheers
    WSS
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Buying questions 2009/07/17 13:45:43 (permalink)
    Steve,

Nothing against the VS-700 - I don't have the budget for it. I'm supposed to get a VS100 which I might buy (such is my budget). My review of the VS-700 should be out in the next Tape Op. Sadly, I review a bunch of hardware I can't buy.

But if you are making enough money w/ SONAR, the VS 700 is a high-class, all-in-one solution. The controller is top notch. The interface, too, although the Fantom adds a premium. Mix has a review out this month and the reviewer really liked the preamps/convertion, which mirrors my findings. If you go to

http://www.myspace.com/merrythemoodswings

you can hear it on "Witch Joanie" done at home . This is Love" to "Handsome Guy" at home but with a FirePod. "metrosexual" on down were done at a "real" studio w/ ssl/apogee etc. Ought to give you some idea of the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:Buying questions 2009/07/24 03:14:00 (permalink)
    Westside Steve

So is the 200 buck rebate for Sonar owners from Cakewalk or the retailer? There are differing prices.

I assume the I/O is rock solid and top notch pre amps and AD convertors, right?

I assume the Fantom module is a world class synth and will take pressure off the CPU when using softsynths, right?

Is there a "best" motherboard and video card to use?
    Is Xeon quad a better option than Pentium quad?

Windows 7 64 bit cool?
    Any other hardware issues that need to be a priority in building a new system?

Thanks, it's been a pretty good summer maybe I oughta puyll the trigger this fall.

Thanks for your ideas.

WSS

Steve,

Yes the 200 dollar mail-in rebate is for owners of SONAR 8 Producer and is fulfilled through us.

The Fantom does sound great ... it sounds like a Fantom because it is a Fantom, so if you are familiar with the Fantom X or Sonic Cell you know what you are going to get. And there is zero load on the CPU or RAM because it is hardware, although you have the benefit of controlling it via a VST plugin.

Right now the Intel i7 CPUs are the most powerful on the market. There is no Pentium Quad so that is not an option .... maybe you are thinking of the Core 2 Quad series which was the predecessor to the i7?

If you are on a budget the AMD Phenom II is an option.

As for a video card, some like nVidia, some like ATI. I am endorsed by neither but prefer ATI and would go with a dual-DVI, fanless model. Sapphire makes one that will cost you about $45 or so. But then if you plan on using only a single monitor you could get by with a fanless card with a single DVI out.

SONAR and the VS-700 works great with Windows 7 ... been testing it on the RC over here and am looking forward to the RTM.
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:Buying questions 2009/07/24 13:55:54 (permalink)
    BTW I should mention that my testing of Win 7 is personal and is thus not official. As it is still not yet officially released we are not officially supporting it at this time.
    Westside Steve
    Re:Buying questions 2009/08/03 09:46:14 (permalink)

Right now the Intel i7 CPUs are the most powerful on the market. There is no Pentium Quad so that is not an option .... maybe you are thinking of the Core 2 Quad series which was the predecessor to the i7?

If you are on a budget the AMD Phenom II is an option.

I figure I'd like to go top shelf.
    i7 or Quad Xeon ya think?

Any hardware to avoid?

Thanks Seth!
    WSS

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1