CAD U37 USB Mic

Author
SoundBank
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 150
2009/06/19 16:35:46 (permalink)

CAD U37 USB Mic

CAD U37 USB Mic works with Audacity, and Windows Recorder.

Requires no drivers...just Plug And Play.

Having issues with Sonar 8 PE.

Could I try generic ASIO drivers...as there are free downloads from Behringer website.

Record using the mic and get Garbled Playback...sometimes slower than recorded.

Has any Sonar 8 user, had success with the CAD USB 37 mic?

23 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2009/06/19 16:43:28 (permalink)
    USB mics are not ready for prim time recording. As they DO need drivers and they will interfere with your sound card drivers. your problems are due to driver errors. I would get a normal mic and pre-amp and use return the usb mic.
    Other than that, you'll need to set up the USB mic and your sound card in WDM driver mode, so it See's both. your usb mic is an interface also and using 2 interfaces (sound cards) is trouble for the most part. I wouldn't touch them for recording in sonar.

USB mics do not have good drivers also, so this may be what your seeing with the garbles playback. You'll need to make sure the usb mic and your sound card are set to the same sample rates.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    RTGraham
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1824
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2009/06/19 16:46:50 (permalink)
    Most USB mics, as CJ has pointed out, have lousy driver implementation. There are a couple of exceptions (the little USB mic from B.L.U.E. is supposed to be more stable, but I haven't tried it), but most of them kind of cut corners in the driver-stability department.

You *might* be able to get away with using ASIO4ALL, if it can see the USB mic's own WDM drivers. That way SONAR talks to ASIO4ALL, and ASIO4ALL talks to the mic, and everyone's happy. No guarantee, though, on whether it will work at all, or what kind of latency there might be if it does work.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    Keys, Vocals, Songwriting, Production
    russell DOT graham AT rtgproductions DOT com
    www DOT myspace DOT com SLASH russelltgraham
    SoundBank
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2009/06/19 16:53:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input CJM.

I will keep trying to find a workable solution.

The mic gets great reviews online, and works great with Audacity...a far cry from SONAR!

I will try other USB Interfaces, as I have the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, and Tascam 144, and verfiy sample rates.

Thanks for Post 20,786....a quick response.....you would make a great Fireman.
    SoundBank
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2009/06/19 16:55:35 (permalink)
    Thanks RTG

I have also heard great things regarding the B.L.U.E. little USB mic.

Have a good one!
    CJaysMusic
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2009/06/19 16:55:41 (permalink)
    Thanx, I want you to read this thread. Its about how to set up a USB mic
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1618556
    It was made by a user named Fog and its an excellent how to for usb mic's
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2009/06/19 17:06:29

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2009/06/19 17:36:33 (permalink)
    I agree... USB mics were just a bad idea that keeps getting worse the more they try to fix them... sorry. Yes, you can fit the entire sound card and sample rate clock inside a microphone for cheap.... woo hoo, they did it... now they need to just get over it and quit making those crapy things.
    post edited by ohhey - 2009/06/19 17:48:47
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2009/06/20 07:50:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

I agree... USB mics were just a bad idea that keeps getting worse the more they try to fix them... sorry. Yes, you can fit the entire sound card and sample rate clock inside a microphone for cheap.... woo hoo, they did it... now they need to just get over it and quit making those crapy things.

Right:

The 'getting worse' is the new wave of USB XLR devices ... now any microphone can mess things up with your DAW's drivers.

-D

papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2009/06/20 10:30:33 (permalink)
    Diplomacy has never been one of my strong "suits" so I'll apologize in advance for offending anyone's intelligence...

Why would someone purchase a $600 DAW application and decide to use a mic that only costs $80 (MSRP $79.99) and requires a USB port that might create IRQ/Driver conflicts? For $10 or so more one could purchase a Shure SM57 and probably get near the same quality (and--undoubtably--unfettered DAW performance).

The OP has fallen for the "great reviews" pandemic and purchased a mic that is nothing more than a glorified desktop computer mic that happens to have a USB termination instead of the "oh, so reliable" mini-phone plug terminations used with onboard soundcards/chipsets.

ORIGINAL: SoundBank

I will try other USB Interfaces, as I have the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, and Tascam 144, and verfiy sample rates.

You can't use both at the same time in ASIO mode. ASIO only recognizes one device at a time. Verifying sample rates has nothing to do with your problem. The CAD U37 (as any other USB mic) has its own "soundcard" built into it. There's your conflict. You might have some sort of "success" in WDM/KS mode but that's debatable.

I can't speak for the "performance" in Audacity as I've not spent much time at all using that program. I've only tested a few things with it in order to answer questions posted by users in various forums. As for Windows Recorder...I've never used it so I have no idea about it. When using pro/prosumer soundcard interfaces (M-Audio, Tascam, etc.,) it is best to disable the drivers for onboard audio/MIDI interfaces.

Bottom line (IMO): If you want to create workable audio productions in a DAW environment, purchase a mic with conventional (XLR or 1/4") connectors and utilize the drivers/preamps included in your existing devices. If you're only planning on doing podcasts or chatting away with your friends using Yahoo! Messenger or some other "instant messaging" app then the CAD U37 will probably sound better than what your "messenging" compadres are using...

Regards,
    Papa
    CJaysMusic
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2009/06/21 11:31:25 (permalink)
    Papa, i would say that users just don't now what their doing "yet" or there not using common sense and researching.
    I think as my DAW as my football team and Sonar as my quarterback. Its common sense to surround your quarterback will all great players (sound card = Wide Receiver) to bring out the best of your quarterback and get the best results out of your football team
    Cj

Audio Blog
    SoundBank
    Re: RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2009/09/03 02:36:56 (permalink)
    Original Post

CAD U37 mic was an inexpensive way for an individual to use a large condenser mic to record an acoustic guitar and vocal to their computer.
    This individual could not afford a $600 DAW, USB/Audio interface, and SM57, but the large diaphram USB mic was affordable.

This young man tried to overdub using a free DAW http://www.kreatives.org/...?section=details  but found it would not record properly.

To help him, I had tried to record to SONAR 8 using the CAD USB and everything was garbled as well.

My question was.....

Personally, I have Sonar 8 Producer, several USB interfaces, and mics including the SM-57 (PAPA2004), as well as a BOSS BR-1600CD.

I do NOT own a USB Mic myself.

I was trying to find out why the USB mic worked so well with Windows Recorder, Audacity etc. but was garbled when recorded into a DAW. 
    If I could get the mic to work with SONAR 8, I could help him, get his mic to work with one of free DAW's.

If the CAD USB mic could be plugged into any computer, and record/overdub a couple of tracks on a free DAW, a young kid starting out would be happy, and would most likely end up using a DAW like SONAR once he can afford it.

An inexpensive USB2.0 interface and a cheaper mic, may be a better way to start out, for a similar cost.

As for myself I will avoid IRQ conflicts, and plug a SM-57 into SONAR 8 or my BR-1600CD as
    PAPA2004 suggested.

Not to be revisited...lol

Cheers

post edited by SoundBank - 2009/09/03 03:46:15
    RTGraham
    Re: RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2009/09/06 15:43:34 (permalink)
    SoundBank

Original Post

CAD U37 mic was an inexpensive way for an individual to use a large condenser mic to record an acoustic guitar and vocal to their computer.
    This individual could not afford a $600 DAW, USB/Audio interface, and SM57, but the large diaphram USB mic was affordable.

This young man tried to overdub using a free DAW http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php?section=details%A0 but found it would not record properly.

To help him, I had tried to record to SONAR 8 using the CAD USB and everything was garbled as well.

My question was.....

Personally, I have Sonar 8 Producer, several USB interfaces, and mics including the SM-57 (PAPA2004), as well as a BOSS BR-1600CD.

I do NOT own a USB Mic myself.

I was trying to find out why the USB mic worked so well with Windows Recorder, Audacity etc. but was garbled when recorded into a DAW. 
    If I could get the mic to work with SONAR 8, I could help him, get his mic to work with one of free DAW's.

If the CAD USB mic could be plugged into any computer, and record/overdub a couple of tracks on a free DAW, a young kid starting out would be happy, and would most likely end up using a DAW like SONAR once he can afford it.

An inexpensive USB2.0 interface and a cheaper mic, may be a better way to start out, for a similar cost.

As for myself I will avoid IRQ conflicts, and plug a SM-57 into SONAR 8 or my BR-1600CD as
    PAPA2004 suggested.

Not to be revisited...lol

Cheers

If I had to guess, I'd say that Windows Recorder, Audacity, etc., are accessing the CAD's driver in MME mode, and that's why they're able to record it smoothly, while SONAR is probably shooting for higher-performance ASIO or WDM - and the CAD's driver probably doesn't support those protocols robustly enough.

Have you tried telling SONAR to run in MME mode?  You'll just about completely lose the ability to do anything at low latency, but it may at least allow a clean recording for the individual you're trying to help.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re: RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2009/09/06 21:37:51 (permalink)
    no issues with USB mic. heck I ever wrote a guide as I got annoyed of those who never owned a mic or couldn't set it up ...  saying it wouldn't work.

it would/does BUT as long as people realise the pros / cons of it.

IRQ conflicts aren't really an issue, simply because it hooks on to the existing USB hubs allocated already.. unlike PCI etc. card which do hook onto an IRQ.

if your recording vocals all the time ,then obviously an asio interface + decent pre's on it...

if your recording vocals etc not so often and want to use it without having to drag around an extra unit.. then it's good idea IF you can live with changing from asio / mme , the odd time.

dannyvocal
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2010/06/23 10:10:21 (permalink)
    RT Graham and CJsMusic, I am fooling around with the Yetti Blue.  Exact problem as described - and I am trying to get the best configuration for laptop use.  So far the Cakewalk UA-24 EX is the perfect no latency no dropout soundcard but is USB.  Naturally, the laptop won't let me use the Yetti, another USB interface, without garbled recording, and slowing down the recording so the takes, while sometimes not bad, are stretched out of sync with the normal song speed.  Thus you guys (especially CJsMusic) are right - I think this applies to ALL USB mics because of driver problems.  Far better once one has secured a stable soundcard to use a traditional mic and preamp.  Not to mention if one's soundcard IS also USB, you are heading into trouble!!!
    CJaysMusic
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2010/06/23 13:31:35 (permalink)
    Hey Danny, you revived a 9 month old thread...LOL I was reading my reply and I couldn't remembering typing it. Then I looked at the date and knew why....
    Cj

Audio Blog
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2010/06/23 13:39:31 (permalink)
    I didn't even remember I posted in this thread\

-D

RTGraham
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2010/06/27 02:19:45 (permalink)
    dannyvocal

RT Graham and CJsMusic, I am fooling around with the Yetti Blue.  Exact problem as described - and I am trying to get the best configuration for laptop use.  So far the Cakewalk UA-24 EX is the perfect no latency no dropout soundcard but is USB.  Naturally, the laptop won't let me use the Yetti, another USB interface, without garbled recording, and slowing down the recording so the takes, while sometimes not bad, are stretched out of sync with the normal song speed.  Thus you guys (especially CJsMusic) are right - I think this applies to ALL USB mics because of driver problems.  Far better once one has secured a stable soundcard to use a traditional mic and preamp.

I still hesitate to say that it's a "USB mic" issue - it's more accurately a "lack of good WDM/ASIO support" issue.  As Fog confirmed, switching to MME mode tends to give you a better chance of getting a USB mic to work.  But it probably has nothing to do with the mic itself - it's more a matter of the fact that microphone manufacturers who are jumping into the USB-connectivity market, and have little or no former experience with stable driver programming, aren't writing good drivers.  There's no reason why it shouldn't at least be *possible* for a USB mic to have a good driver that doesn't garble the audio.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2010/06/27 22:27:25 (permalink)
    My USB coffee maker has very stable drivers.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

RTGraham
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2010/07/15 09:26:34 (permalink)
    johnnyV

My USB coffee maker has very stable drivers.

Would you say, then, that it keeps you "regular"?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2010/07/15 11:39:27 (permalink)
    Hey while were on/off the topic. If this is true of USB mikes, then would this not also be true for USB ( keyboard) controllers? I see a lot of people have trouble using those too.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2010/07/17 18:32:32 (permalink)
    Hi Soundbank,

Audacity does not use ASIO for most people...Only by a special installation. That's because Audacity is an open source organization product, and can not use proprietary technology, which ASIO is.

Audacity in the MME or WDM native ways of Windows-audio technology records but with latency that is not suitable to use with soft-synths and with mixing MIDI and audio tracks in real time.

For a usb mic, I think only in the MME mode is OK for Sonar, and only to record sound coming from that mic, otherwise synchronizing and other problems can not be avoided.

That's why analog microphones are the best bet for audio/music making, so far.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2010/07/18 05:10:27 (permalink)
    I forgot to add that Audacity does not work with MIDI...It's purely audio.

That's another reason when recording one wouldn't notice any delay.

But, in audacity, with a USB phone, try to record a second track by singing along the other recorded trac, and I would bet that when playing back the two tracks will diverge timewise.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: CAD U37 USB Mic 2010/07/18 19:49:57 (permalink)
    johnnyV

Hey while were on/off the topic. If this is true of USB mikes, then would this not also be true for USB ( keyboard) controllers? I see a lot of people have trouble using those too.

mics + controllers are 2 different things  / require different libs within windows.. controllers only need to send a midi messages.. where as mic's send audio / voice... I have a controller BUT it has an onboard soundcard (an m-audio ozone) but that has drivers made by them to get asio...

right , back on subject..

regarding USB mic's .. this should hopefully cover it >

my un-official guide
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1618556

a cakewalk guide
    http://www.cakewalk.com/s...der.aspx?ID=2007012937
    doshus
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:CAD U37 USB Mic 2012/01/04 13:15:22 (permalink)
    I just want to add my two cents as to why someone would buy a USB mic....I got the CAD U37 for $40 with stand at a pawn shop, and it sounds phenomenal for the money. I was using an Audio Technica handheld dynamic mic, and it works great as well.  I just wanted the extra sensitivity that the USB mic has.  it really picks up EVERYTHING.  I had a Blue Snowball USB mic previously, and although it sounded good it also had the issue with Cakewalk where it is distorted and garbled...It really seemed aimed toward podcasting anyhow.  I got one of those usb guitar cables as well which came with MC5LE, but it won't work in ASIO mode.  The idea with the mic and cable is to get away from using an interface.  It's not that I can't afford one...I just want to make things simpler.  You would think that being able to bypass the sound card and go pure digital would be easier...I got the CAD and the guitar cable to work with Garageband/Logic fine, but I had to set it up as an aggregate device in the system preferences...The operating system has to be told which device is the master sync timer and which is the slave.  Windows XP doesn't seem to give that option. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1