CAL - the word that dare not speak its name. Noel, what's the story here, please?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Oaf_Topik
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2105
Re:CAL - the word that dare not speak its name. Noel, what's the story here, please? 2009/12/02 19:25:43 (permalink)

RE: Documentation - I agree that this is pretty thin and some of the online sources are dated. For the few of you that aren't still using Pro Audio 9 on a daily basis - - I revived the CAL Function Reference Guide from a PA9 help file and posted it in the DevXchange with the other CAL info in .pdf format. You can check it out/download it here.

Stuff like this is what makes Sonar, the DAW of choice, for myself.  Thanks Willy, Noel, Brandon, and all the other Cake employees for your help and valuable input.
post edited by Oaf_Topik - 2009/12/02 19:27:00

tparker24
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 544
Re:CAL - the word that dare not speak its name. Noel, what's the story here, please? 2009/12/02 21:18:38 (permalink)
I added it to my little CAL links page.
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re:CAL - the word that dare not speak its name. Noel, what's the story here, please? 2009/12/04 14:21:42 (permalink)
one more vote to at least keep Cal support!

Oddly enough, when I was forced to choose a new DAW platform (after the demise of Commodore and the sale of Blue Ribbon Soundworks) Cal and to a lesser degree Studioware were two of the biggest reasons I jumped on the Cakewalk bandwagon. MIDI support in general was also high on the list. I think MIDI support has stayed in the front of the pack, and I mitigated the loss of StudioWare with MIDIQuest, but dang, I was bummed with the original "CAL goes bye-bye" announcement (buried as it was<G>!) For a long time I did keep a copy of CWPA (8 or 9) on my DAW just to develop Studioware panels and CAL scripts. But as new features were added to Sonar, and not to CAL the value has diminished.

I never really saw CAL as a macro recorder, though I suppose that's a very good application for it. I always saw it as the box of parts one sometimes needs to cobble together a tool that solves a problem.

Perl would be an ideal replacement!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Treppenwitz
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 124
Re:CAL - the word that dare not speak its name. Noel, what's the story here, please? 2010/02/28 12:58:18 (permalink)
I just found this thread.  Hope it's not to late for a "me too". 

Two other things: 
If Sonar had an object model, then this might in fact be a selling point, since enterprising programmers could sell extensions based on the object model.

If you have an IntelliMouse you already have a macro recorder.  Download the Intellimouse software, then look in the Help files for macro recording.  I have macros on my mouse I use all the time.  The "back" mouse button, for example, is not recognized within the PRV.  I've mapped that using a macro to enable Scrub.

I also have a Sidewinder gamer keyboard which I has 30 mappable macro keys which I use for similar things in Sibelius.  Logitech makes macro recording mice and keyboards as well.
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:CAL - the word that dare not speak its name. Noel, what's the story here, please? 2010/02/28 13:33:21 (permalink)
I love the cal.

I do have a question for the OP...

Why not just write a free standing win app that analyzes a MIDI track and sets a tempo.

I use Fit to Improv on almost every project.... it seems like there are several obvious averaging features that could be useful.

good luck,
mike

funkycornwall
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 81
Re:CAL - the word that dare not speak its name. Noel, what's the story here, please? 2010/02/28 13:59:18 (permalink)
I don't know if this is any help but I have discovered a great and easy program which can resolve MIDI tempo changes via notation. The program is called 'Notation Composer' (www.notation.com) Let's say I wish to record a free time or tempo varying keyboard track - simply record a MIDI track without metronome (I also record a couple of bars of quarter notes as a start tempo setter and count-in). I use something like Pianoteq or Pianissimo in standalone mode and then save the resuling file as a Midifile. Now in Notation Composer open the midifile and it comes up as a piano notated track. Notation Composer I think is the best program I have seen at making readable notation sense of midi playing. Anyway now you have a track which is precisely the way you played it but with inappropriate bar lines obviously. Next you go into the re-barring function and simply set it to record and you hit a keyboard key (insert I think) at bar-line points as it plays through. If you have made errors then you can edit these. Then when you are happy you click the re-bar and the music adjusts so that the bar-lines are correctly placed. The music also reads better now too. The playback is identical to how it was originally recorded. Now you save this newly adjusted version as a midifile - import this into SONAR. My description possibly sounds complex but it is actually very quick and simple process. The re-bar function is in a beta version of Notation Composer but should be released soon and certainly works really well. I use it to record without a metronome and have a natural feel of a live performance with natural variations. You could also record wildly varying tempos, accelerandos and rallentandos and still place bar-lines correctly.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1