CANNOT UPDATE MY WIN10

Author
Ham N Egz
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15161
2016/02/17 10:30:51 (permalink)

CANNOT UPDATE MY WIN10

So originally running win 7 pro and did the free win 10 upgrade last summer at the then version 10240
Now no matter what I try, media creation tool, push button update, usb drive, follow all the articles about safe boot, disable virus, special commands, yeild no success.

Every attempt results in win 10 failed at various stages the latest gets to 88 per cent.I even tryed the reset function where I would lose everything just to see but that even fails.

I haven't tried a complete clean install because of having to re-install all my programs and vsts and the fact I have a raid drive and dont want to reload or try to find the vsts in the versions I have

SO I guess ill stay at version 240, strange thing is the defender files update sucessfully

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

7 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: CANNOT UPDATE MY WIN10 2016/02/17 12:23:27 (permalink)
    Are you saying you have an earlier full release version of Windows 10, and Windows Automatic Update fails, or are you saying you are trying to install a later version from an iso as a repair? What error message are you getting? Microsoft has generally provided free support for installation and update problems, have you called them?
    Ham N Egz
    Re: CANNOT UPDATE MY WIN10 2016/02/17 12:36:54 (permalink)
    slartabartfast
    Are you saying you have an earlier full release version of Windows 10, and Windows Automatic Update fails, or are you saying you are trying to install a later version from an iso as a repair? What error message are you getting? Microsoft has generally provided free support for installation and update problems, have you called them?

Yes to both auto update fails and the repair also fails on the auto updates it simply says the update to 10870(or whatever the latest is) has failed on the repair it get something went wrong the update failed

hadn't tried MS support but i am sure from reading a lot of other posts they will ask to try the media creation tool and disable AV(which  dont have), but its worth giving them a try as a last ditch effort

I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: CANNOT UPDATE MY WIN10 2016/02/17 15:12:46 (permalink)
    I would concentrate on getting the automatic update to work on the version you have working. There is a robot troubleshooter for that.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us

Ham N Egz
    Re: CANNOT UPDATE MY WIN10 2016/02/18 08:01:19 (permalink)
    slartabartfast
    I would concentrate on getting the automatic update to work on the version you have working. There is a robot troubleshooter for that.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us

that doesn't work either

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: CANNOT UPDATE MY WIN10 2016/02/18 08:28:08 (permalink)
    The Windows 10 forum    http://www.tenforums.com/  is the best place to get help on Win 10.
    There are several Tutorials (in the tutorial section) on the various ways of upgrading or installing Win 10
     http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Ham N Egz
    Re: CANNOT UPDATE MY WIN10 2016/02/18 09:20:12 (permalink)
    fireberd
    The Windows 10 forum    http://www.tenforums.com/  is the best place to get help on Win 10.
    There are several Tutorials (in the tutorial section) on the various ways of upgrading or installing Win 10
     http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/

I would like to thank you for your help and the suggestions, I appreciate it.

I dont want to sound like an arse, but I have already tried all those steps listed in those tutorials.

I have made "some" progress, in that the update seems to download, but I get caught in a "requires restart" every time, it will restart, give me the" dont turn off pc windows is being configured", runs up to about 4 % then boots into win with no upgrade. Settings/Update then tells me a restart is required, I can do this all day long....

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: CANNOT UPDATE MY WIN10 2016/02/18 11:14:20 (permalink)
    I would then post the problem on the tenforums as there are those there that may (probably) be able to help.

An alternative is the Dell community forum.  User experts there that may be able to help too.
    http://en.community.dell.com/

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1