CD burning on my HP drive, Question

Author
Chris S
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 396
2010/12/13 01:48:01 (permalink)

CD burning on my HP drive, Question

Switched cd burning drives from an old LITE-ON to an HP and now the cds that I burn will not play on my home system, an Onkyo.
They play fine in my car's Sony player. No idea what the issue is. I use CD Architect to burn, but the software is not the issue.

Listen in

8 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:CD burning on my HP drive, Question 2010/12/13 06:40:13 (permalink)
    What burn speed did you use?  Many older audio CD players will not work with Audio CD's burned at high/higher speeds.  Most new SATA CD/DVD burners will only go down to 16X for burning and this is too fast for older CD players.  I have a bank of 5 USB Connected IDE (PATA) CD/DVD burners and they will go down to 8X which is my audio cd burning "standard".  8X seems to work with almost all audio CD players.  I sell my steel guitar instrumental CD's at concerts and I've never had one come back as "not playable" or "skips", etc.

Another issue is regular Audio CD's and MP3 CD's.  If you happen to have made an MP3 CD they will only play on CD players that are MP3 compatible.  Most newer car CD players are MP3 compatible but many home stereo or "boom boxes" are not MP3.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Chris S
    Re:CD burning on my HP drive, Question 2010/12/13 13:54:22 (permalink)
    That could be it. 
    The new burner is SATA and the old one was IDE. My Onkyo cd player is not that old, but I will try burning the disk at the slowest speed it will burn at next to see if that is the problem.
    thanks

Listen in
    Chris S
    Re:CD burning on my HP drive, Question 2010/12/15 21:50:49 (permalink)
    fireberd

What burn speed did you use?  Many older audio CD players will not work with Audio CD's burned at high/higher speeds.  Most new SATA CD/DVD burners will only go down to 16X for burning and this is too fast for older CD players.  I have a bank of 5 USB Connected IDE (PATA) CD/DVD burners and they will go down to 8X which is my audio cd burning "standard".  8X seems to work with almost all audio CD players.  I sell my steel guitar instrumental CD's at concerts and I've never had one come back as "not playable" or "skips", etc.

Another issue is regular Audio CD's and MP3 CD's.  If you happen to have made an MP3 CD they will only play on CD players that are MP3 compatible.  Most newer car CD players are MP3 compatible but many home stereo or "boom boxes" are not MP3.

No, it doesn't matter what speed I burn the cds at. No difference between 32x and 8x.
    Also, these are all audio cds, no mp3s are being burned.
    I still have no idea why my HP cd burner burns disks that will play in my car fine, but will not read in my home system.

Listen in
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:CD burning on my HP drive, Question 2010/12/16 02:37:59 (permalink)
    They play fine in my car's Sony player.

Unless, your car CD player is non-standard and will play a data disk burned with MP3 files, then your problem is not with the encoding of the files burned to the CD but with the physical burn itself. Some players are less sensitive than others, and commercially pressed CD's have much better defined reflective patterns than those produced by burners. Some burners make a deeper burn than others so the disks they write are playable on less sensitive burners. You can try a different brand or model of blank CD to see if that produces a better burn. A slower burn may help, but not necessarily.
    Chris S
    Re:CD burning on my HP drive, Question 2010/12/27 15:25:15 (permalink)
    So, I will have to buy a new cd/dvd burner to see if it will make deeper grooves or whatever in the cdrs.
    I thought HP was good, but perhaps I should have stayed with Lite-On after all.

Listen in
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:CD burning on my HP drive, Question 2010/12/27 16:02:00 (permalink)
    Be sure you are using AUDIO/Music CD's and not data disks. I have had playability issues with using data disks instead of designated Audio CD's. Also be sure they are finalized.... which I'm sure you are doing if you use CD Architect.

I used to use the data disks because they were a bit cheaper..... and they will play OK on computers but for the widest consumer player compatibility, use Audio CD's

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Chris S
    Re:CD burning on my HP drive, Question 2010/12/27 23:13:30 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Be sure you are using AUDIO/Music CD's and not data disks. I have had playability issues with using data disks instead of designated Audio CD's. Also be sure they are finalized.... which I'm sure you are doing if you use CD Architect.

I used to use the data disks because they were a bit cheaper..... and they will play OK on computers but for the widest consumer player compatibility, use Audio CD's

If anyone is wondering, both cd players I use are newer and will play yellow book CDs. It is not a question of the media involved; that is tested.
    I still don't know why the higher-end Onkyo player will not recognize the newly burned CDs however I know it is a burn issue because I get readouts of 99 tracks on the Onkyo player when there are 12 tracks. It could be an issue with overburning the disk that the players react to differently.

Listen in
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:CD burning on my HP drive, Question 2010/12/28 06:49:29 (permalink)
    Try burning a CD with only one song on it and see if the Onkyo will play that, for a test.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1