CORT GUITARS?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
2009/03/05 16:07:28 (permalink)

CORT GUITARS?

Anyone else here familiar with Cort guitars? I know Daryl Crowley loves his. I know they're made in Korea, but I'm no guitar snob. I'd like to get some more feedback, though, so let's hear it.
Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter

30 Replies Related Threads

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/05 16:32:39 (permalink)
    I've played a few and they all seemed like cheap knockoffs. Kinda like Squire or lower-end Epiphone...

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    space_cowboy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/05 16:51:37 (permalink)
    i think the fender japan stuff is a better deal. they make good guitars.

I have a Performer in my collection. I love the thing. Plus it is sort of whack. Like a Salvador Dali interpretation of a Strat. I have a green one like this stock photo below. It is more of a metal guitar than a strat.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/05 17:41:28 (permalink)
    they're ok, you can get better for the same price, eg vintage, washburn, aria but every guitar is different and if you get a bargain on ebay,cool, it'll be a nice gigging guitar!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/05 19:01:51 (permalink)
    When I came up on guitar in the very early 1980s, Courts were everywhere. They were about a hundred bucks then. Mass produced and very inexpensive, they were typically "starter guitars" for brand new players. If you have played for a while, I would avoid them. If you are just looking for an inexpensive starter guitar just to get started learning (and see if electric guitar is an instrument that you want to pursue), they might be worth a quick look.

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    ricstudioc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/05 19:35:08 (permalink)
    Gonna stand up to the naysayers, here - give one a try. Matt "Guitar" Murphey plays one, there's a Larry Coreyell (sp?) model (and I think Larry knows a thing or two...) - and a guitar player I work with (disclaimer - he's a luthier and mods everything he owns) has one of their Strat types and, with the above disclaimer in mind, it's one of the sweetest axes I've touched in ages.

Y'know, I've got high-end Steinbergers, Parkers, Godins in my racks - what guitar is gettin' the most fingerprints on it these days? A $170 Squire Affinity Tele I recently picked up. Bang for the buck is ridiculous, plays as good as any of the above. Yeah - I'm gonna upgrade the pickups and electronics pretty quick, but in a way that's the point- there's nothing precious about it, I can mod it to my hearts content without any concerns about "value". Thing plays like a champ - everything else is subject to my whims.

Certainly you get something for the big bucks (see above list) or the "brand" name - but one of the best things to ever happen to guitarists was the advent of CNC manufacturing. Reliable, repeatable quality from intrument to instrument, able to be produced cheaply en masse. A "cheap" guitar in 2009 is light-years ahead of one from the 60's, or 70's.

So go find a Cort - get your fingerprints on it and see what YOU think. (And if you want to mod it, flag me and I'll put you in touch with my luthier friend....)

Ric
    lespaulman35
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 467
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/06 01:41:52 (permalink)
    I've played them and liked them ok. I thought the ones I played were well made, sounded good, and played well. I've never owned one, I just played them in a local pawn shop. They've been in there a long time. I've played them more than I should have without buying them. I once grew tired of the gear I had and traded some with a friend. I wound up with a cort multi effects pedal that had been taken apart and all the wiring to the input and output jacks, battery connector, and head phone jack were all removed. Someone had been trying to work on it. I looked up the Cort Co. on the Internet and wrote them a letter explaining that I hadn't actually bought thier product but I had one that needed to be repaired. I told them I had electronics experience and thought I could work on it myself if they would sell me a schematic. They never answered my e-mail. A few days later I got a schematic in the mail with a number to call should I need tech assistance.

Gateway GT5228 AMD Athlon 64X2 Processor 4200+ 250 GB Sata II WD Raptor 150 GB Sata II 2048 MB DDR2 Microsoft XP Professional Delta1010LT Audiophile 192 Sonar Producer 8
    Cheeto
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/06 04:07:51 (permalink)
    Although they were known for bottom of the barrel axes a long time ago, form what I hear there quality has improved tremendously.

Haven't tried any of their electric guitars, but have tried some of their pretty good bang for your buck basses.

Check out the b4 and b5's

Dual Bartolini pickups! Hipshot licensed tuners, decent bridge, active EQ What more could you ask for on a budget?
    mcourter
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/06 09:38:11 (permalink)
    Y'know, I've got high-end Steinbergers, Parkers, Godins in my racks - what guitar is gettin' the most fingerprints on it these days? A $170 Squire Affinity Tele

I've always wanted a Tele, and I've been looking at the Squier for that very reason: I like to tinker with them. I made my own cheap Strat for that same reason: so I can upgrade it. I may go that route for my Tele, but a Squier is as cheap as a kit!

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/06 09:48:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mcourter

Y'know, I've got high-end Steinbergers, Parkers, Godins in my racks - what guitar is gettin' the most fingerprints on it these days? A $170 Squire Affinity Tele

I've always wanted a Tele, and I've been looking at the Squier for that very reason: I like to tinker with them. I made my own cheap Strat for that same reason: so I can upgrade it. I may go that route for my Tele, but a Squier is as cheap as a kit!

Upgrading a guitar that feels good but is cheap is a great plan.
    My favourite guitar is a MIM Fender Telecaster that I bought in 1991. I swapped out the pickups (Tex.special for bridge, Fender Lace Sensor gold humbucker for neck), and got new tuning keys after 17 years.
    Guitar= $300 (in 1991)
    Pickups= $100
    Tuning Keys = $30
    $430, for the best guitar I've ever played.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/06 15:08:18 (permalink)
    I feel completely ashamed as I've owned 2 'real deal' Tele's in my time a bound edge red one and a blonde. I only ever had them because I loved them as objects and in the hope they would inspire me to learn to play them, I had them both set up by tech's that knew what they were doing and apparently people that played them said they were great...in truth I had no idea and lookalikes would have made just as great ornaments.

Having said that I used to record with the cheapest Pearl snare drum you could get and it quickly became a favourite. Because it was cheap it had fewer tuning lugs and the threads on those were so coarse they came loose during the course of a session. But it had a beautiful sound that recorded well and had plenty of character the fact that the lugs were cheap turned out to be an advantage in the end as you could change to tuning in half the time and to stop the de-tuning issue I used a sticky 'Spraymount' spray which worked a treat...

I guess what I'm trying to say here is emphasising that you can pick up great bargains and make 'em work your way without having the 'name' but you do have to get your hands dirty trying them out....I think with a lot of top brand gear you pay a premium for assurance that it's gonna be with in the envelope of 'good', but by trying stuff out like this you can end up with something that offers you more than that, you can end up with something that is totally YOU!

Of course, provided you don't go for a complete banger with a neck that is more suitable for archery and doesn't collapse in two when you tune it up....

I used to stock a few Corts back in the day and never had problems or complaints with them.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/03/06 15:21:20

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    mcourter
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/06 15:37:54 (permalink)
    Jon: so what did you end up doing with those Teles?

What do you mean, "used to stock" Corts. Did you own a music store?

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    Jonbouy
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/06 16:23:22 (permalink)
    I sold them on as the bids got too tempting in the end and I was just glad they went to good homes.

Yeah I had a Rock 'n Roll store in the 80's, when the the pointy headstock first reared it's ugly head...Charvel have a lot to answer for...lol not much use as a recommendation now I know but the were a concienscious company back then which probably indicates why they are still around.

They have some good endorsees these days I see.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/03/06 16:36:15

ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/06 18:10:51 (permalink)
    The Charvel of the early 80s changed quite a bit. It used to be Wayne Charvel. then Grover jackson bought them, and the mid 80s charvels (I own two) were made overseas. Nowadays it's made in the USA again - really, three phases for this company.

(Nothin' wrong with a pointy headstock guitar.. : )

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    Jonbouy
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/06 19:14:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ed97643

(Nothin' wrong with a pointy headstock guitar.. : )

'cept they'll have yer eye out if you're not looking....

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/08 04:14:16 (permalink)
    I've seen Cort guitars around ...
    a music store within walking distance from me has the Cort line ....
    ( the place happens to have nice gtrs ...but seems not to discount as much as MF or GC ....so I shop elsewhere )

fwiw ..I would play a Cort ..if I liked the instrument enough to buy it

I'm of the belief that its the player that has all the Mojo ...
    nowadays having a guitar that adjusts and functions properly is easier than ever ..in any price range ....

speaking of gtrs that don't break the bank
    my last 3 gtr purchases have been ridiculous

all 3 guitars I recently bought are players & I would have no hesitation to play live or a show with them ...
    as it so happens,
    I have already recorded w them & posted tunes that feature them ...

starting w the most expensive of the 3 gtrs first ...lol
    btw ...this one is getting all the play time for now
    we are still on our honey moon ..

gtr #1
    older Squire Strat ......22 med jumbo fret rosewood neck ..wilkenson style 2 point trem
    this gtr was someones parts caster ...
    (they put some money into upgrades)
    locking tuners , a white pearloid pick guard , aftermarket single coil PU's ..aftermarket 5 way switch ....also a Fender Strat decal
    after spending all the money the guy didn't know how to wire it up
    neither did the store
    I purchased this guitar from a pawnshop as is for $129 .00 + tax
    all it needed was 3 new 250K pots & the wires soldered to the correct places

gtr # 2
    brand new Squire Affinity two tone sunburst limited edition Strat
    I f....ng love this gtr
    has a maple neck ...& the body is just a hair thinner
    the body is made of Alder ...not plywood
    this gtr is bone stock ....except for an oil finish i did on the neck ....

I bought this gtr brand new at a music store for $120.00 out the door
    ( a friend who works there ...gave me a good deal )

gtr #3
    Washburn 7 string ...
    after wanting a 7 for years ....I took the plunge
    gtr is bone stock ...
    (I do all my own tech work & adjustments ..gtr needs nothing ..)

price paid $120.00 used w case

enuff said ....

I love being able to buy 3 for the price of one used MIM strat w case

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2009/03/08 04:37:41

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/08 07:59:03 (permalink)
    I've heard that Cort does contract manufacturing in Korea for a number of other brands. For example, I've read that Ibanez guitars with a serial number starting in "C" are built by Cort. Does anyone know if this is true?
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/08 08:13:05 (permalink)
    Apparently Fender, Tanglewood, Ibanez, Schecter all have used Cort as a manufacturer.

http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/What_Cort_can_t_tell_you_-_but_I_can_.html

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/08 10:01:23 (permalink)
    ESP, maybe? I get the feeling that Schecter and LTD are Siamese twins or something.
    Roflcopter
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/08 11:14:00 (permalink)
    Well, Japanes twins, then. All the companies belong to the same guy, Hisatake Shibuya.

They are run independently, the story goes - but that would not stop them from coincidentally deciding on the same partner for outsourcing... would be a laugh.

Sonic the Hedgehog
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/10 17:53:00 (permalink)

In today's economy, the place of manufacture no longer has the ''prestige'' it once had - except for a few exceptions. Japan probably has an edge - if you can find something ''Made In Japan'' these days. China is known for its cheap/inexpensive pricing, but look underneath the cover and you'll find future household-named highend equipment like XHL amongst others. In the seventies and eighties, people loved Japan-bashing. Look at them today. If China manages to keep its stability, it will be a powerhouse unlike anything we've imagined. Many highend audio stores here are already carrying Chinese audio equipment that are both ''made'' and ''conceived'' in China.

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/10 21:40:02 (permalink)
    I would say if you find a guitar that you like and it sounds and feels good it shouldn't really matter what the brand is.

Jessie is right, Cort is one of the worlds largest guitar manufacturers and so everybody has probably played at least one guitar made by them perhaps without even knowing.

They mostly do contract work for numerous other large companies and some of their higher quality work includes work for Schecter and the G&L tribute series.
    I'm not 100% sure but I think the ESP LTD guitars are made by the Cor-Tek company.

They also have the Parkwood line of mid priced acoustics.

mcourter
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/11 13:26:55 (permalink)
    I've spent the last couple of weeks looking at Corts, Agile, Edwards et al. I'll never consider a Gibson again unless it's a windfall. Fortunately, there's a store nearby that actually carries Corts so I can try them out. Some of these models are actually cheaper than building my own.

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/11 13:50:44 (permalink)
    I have just purchased a Fender guitar in the style of the Stratocaster.

I say this as it is the shape of a strat, it has the Fender logo on the headstock but not the word Stratocaster.
    All the documentation that came withit is all Fender, i.e. where to register it, how to set it up etc.

The shop that sold it said it is a Japanese Fender made in Korea by Cort.

The guitar has an Ash clear finished body, birsdeye maple finger board, Seymour Duncan Pickups and plays like a dream.

What more can I say.

What can I say one hand types faster than the other
    post edited by Wookiee - 2009/03/12 05:41:32

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    MemphisJo
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/11 17:33:26 (permalink)
    Truth is, with a good set up and a level and dress most guitars made these days can be made into decent players. Some are so good it's even worth replacing the pups and tuners etc and you have a great guitar for a great price. USA on the head stock looks nice but you pay an extra 300 bucks for each one of those letters (at least - if the brand name begins with 'G' make that an extra 1000 each)!!
    post edited by MemphisJo - 2009/03/11 17:39:38
    Roflcopter
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/11 17:48:27 (permalink)
    Startocaster

My first Startocaster!

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/11 18:14:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mcourter

I've spent the last couple of weeks looking at Corts, Agile, Edwards et al. I'll never consider a Gibson again unless it's a windfall. Fortunately, there's a store nearby that actually carries Corts so I can try them out. Some of these models are actually cheaper than building my own.

I can see how that can be ...
    I'm actually afraid to walk into the store over by me that carry s Cort guitars
    I know my MO

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/12 05:37:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

Startocaster

My first Startocaster!

It helps it knows a few smart licks.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    mcourter
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/12 13:09:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kennywtelejazz

I can see how that can be ...
    I'm actually afraid to walk into the store over by me that carry s Cort guitars
    I know my MO

Alas, that's a problem most of us share..........

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    MemphisJo
    RE: CORT GUITARS? 2009/03/12 23:45:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ricstudioc

A $170 Squire Affinity Tele I recently picked up.

it's actually Squier, Squire

I see you are in the valley of the sun... I miss my Saturdays cruisin' the music stores there, it was ridiculous (so many) and I miss Precision Guitar on N. 7th

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1