CPU % high when "nothing" is running. Stop service Windows Management Instrumentation

Author
Toddskins
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
2019/01/12 08:12:53 (permalink)

CPU % high when "nothing" is running. Stop service Windows Management Instrumentation

Anybody else have an issue with a bug in their system that causes their CPU % to be in the neighborhood of 18% with nothing running?  Windows 7 64-bit.

Strange, and this is not the 1st time I have had this problem, and under different circumstances.  Last week I used Samsung's Migration software.  My Samsung 850 Evo boot drive was migrated to a new 860 Evo.  I then replaced the 850 with the new 860.  Everything's fine, except that now my CPU % is up again before I run any programs.  Averaging close to 18%.

Now, everytime I turn my PC on I need to wait a minute, and then run Services.msc, and STOP the service Windows Management Instrumentation, which in turn stops 3 other services (Malwarebytes, Software Security, and Intel Rapid Technology).  After stopping WMI, I turn back on Malwarebytes and Intel Rapid Technology, and my system smoothes down to 0% to 1% and stays that way for the duration.  

Half tempted to but the 850 Evo back on.

All my research on this is a dead end.  Seems like some type of bug or corruption is involved and is running in a loop that causes the high CPU %, and the fix is to stop WMI, which starts itself back up again a few moments later, but this time without the bug. Setting WMI to “delayed start” does not work.  You have to stop it manually after the system has been running for half a minute or so after booting.

The "experts" in computer land, say that by downloading some type of fix from Microsoft sometimes fixes the issue, but many of the people on those sites commented that it did not fix their problem.  They also have ways of trying to run a trace to see what the offending service is, but it was way over my head.

Anybody here run into this?

1 Reply Related Threads

jpetersen
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1499
    Re: CPU % high when "nothing" is running. Stop service Windows Management Instrumentation 2019/01/12 09:40:32 (permalink)
    That really is the only way. I tend to have these issues with HP laptops.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1