CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy

Author
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
2012/06/27 16:11:57 (permalink)

CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy

Every now and then, I come across a tune that reminds me what great mixing is. It also reminds me how poor much of today's music sounds. http://www.youtube.com/wa...R6Yihk&feature=related

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum

15 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/06/27 16:22:06 (permalink)
    Hmmmm. 

Sounds distorted to my ears*. And a tad too much verb on the snare (IMO).

*Maybe I'm suffering from the recent flash player that bitflipper pointed out?

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/06/27 17:06:18 (permalink)
    +1 Shad. This is fine example of a great mix but there is also something even more important than the mix going on here and it is all in the arrangement. Not one unnecessary sound. Every note of the music accounted for and no surplus stuff going on hence the music is very clear with lots of space present allowing the vocals to shine through with ease. This is one of the hardest things to get right and where the producers job comes in. 

It is not distorted on my system. Yes some of the reverbs are present but not unpleasant use of verbs though. The playing is great too which helps and of course the great vocals. When the playing is this good engineering is much easier. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    trimph1
    Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/06/27 17:10:43 (permalink)
    Good sound here as well. I like the guitar here...

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    foxwolfen
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/06/27 17:40:07 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

+1 Shad. This is fine example of a great mix but there is also something even more important than the mix going on here and it is all in the arrangement. Not one unnecessary sound. Every note of the music accounted for and no surplus stuff going on hence the music is very clear with lots of space present allowing the vocals to shine through with ease. This is one of the hardest things to get right and where the producers job comes in. 

It is not distorted on my system. Yes some of the reverbs are present but not unpleasant use of verbs though. The playing is great too which helps and of course the great vocals. When the playing is this good engineering is much easier. 

I can't speak to YouTube's performance for individuals here, but if you have the Album or CD, you can hear what I mean. I was also considering posting "Crime of The Century", by Supertramp as I was listening to this CD (having not listened in literally years) and was blown away by how rich and detailed the mix was... and these are 40 year old recordings.

It tends to point out to me that all the slick new tools we have today are really only subtly and incrementally improving the state of the art. I guess its more about making it accessible right now than actually moving it forward much.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/06/28 13:15:09 (permalink)
    Hi,

I don't know ... I had at one time 3k LP's and still have over 1500, and a lot of the music from that time. But I would not want to assume that there are no good things recorded today, although I will agree that there is way too much compression and bruhaha that is making things not sound as clean/clear or as "live" as they could.

One of the best at this in my book, was always the early Fairport Convention, and then a lot of the work from Richard Thompson ... you always get the feeling that the folks are right here next to you ... and I have always liked that feeling -- regardless of what kind of music it is!

There were a lot of bands that did not have the moolah to record things "professionally" and it didn't hurt their music any ... and I was thinking of Nektar, and the only album of theirs that got serious treatment, was "Recycled" and even there, it was mostly Larry Fast adding synthesizers, not really touching anything else. Nektar always had that "live sound" in their work.

Others: Tangerine Dream, The Man Band, Can, PFM, Golden Earring, Focus ...

I would imagine that Neil Young also fits into that club some?

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/06/28 14:29:02 (permalink)
    I remember or do not, if you understand me, the first time I heard Traffic play this which is still the best version for me.

But without different takes we do not learn, interesting version.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/06/28 19:41:42 (permalink)
    I dunno how great it is. I can't hear any autotune at all, and it gets loud in some parts and quiet in others. Not "radio ready". 

I suppose somebody like Rick Rubin could salvage it; substitute that old-fashioned bass drum with an 808 sample, throw a bitcrusher on the snare, replace the bass with a growly supersaw, add some percussion loops, quantize it all, push it hard up against a brickwall limiter until it pumps and then add some vinyl scratch effects. And of course, set the autotune plugin to the "Robby the Robot" preset. Maybe then you'd have a mix worthy of the next People's Choice broadcast.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/06/28 20:48:40 (permalink)

I was also considering posting "Crime of The Century", by Supertramp as I was listening to this CD (having not listened in literally years) and was blown away by how rich and detailed the mix was... and these are 40 year old recordings.

Totally agree there.  The whole album sounds like a complete self-contained entity rather than just a  selection of songs slapped together too.  A true classic on every level of the often overused term.

The lead-in to Rudy at the point where the actual song comes in still makes my stomach do a little flip even when I hear it today.

It was the resplendent backdrop that gelled some very cool memories into my psyche too.  So forgive me if I have a little bias toward it as a record.

It was one of few albums that my kids pulled out of my collection when they were the age I was when I first heard it and really got into as well.  Which reminds me I think my eldest step-daughter still has the original vinyl copy of mine...
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/06/28 20:52:53

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Old55
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/06/28 20:49:36 (permalink)
    bitflipper

I dunno how great it is. I can't hear any autotune at all, and it gets loud in some parts and quiet in others. Not "radio ready". 

I suppose somebody like Rick Rubin could salvage it; substitute that old-fashioned bass drum with an 808 sample, throw a bitcrusher on the snare, replace the bass with a growly supersaw, add some percussion loops, quantize it all, push it hard up against a brickwall limiter until it pumps and then add some vinyl scratch effects. And of course, set the autotune plugin to the "Robby the Robot" preset. Maybe then you'd have a mix worthy of the next People's Choice broadcast.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    foxwolfen
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/06/29 01:09:52 (permalink)
    bitflipper

LOL

Composers Forum
    foxwolfen
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/06/29 01:11:29 (permalink)
    i was thinking of an example of where the state of the art has improved. Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield. There was so many layered instruments within the mix that the noise just got worse and worse with each layer. Today, that would be a brilliant recording, no noise.

Composers Forum
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/06/29 08:33:37 (permalink)
    Agreed..I remember finally buying that on CD and thinking how awful it sounds now. No wonder Oldfield kept returning to it.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/06/30 17:47:57 (permalink)
    Fantastic!

Craig DuBuc
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/06/30 17:50:34 (permalink)
    I remember or do not, if you understand me, the first time I heard Traffic play this which is still the best version for me.

I agree, I didn't know CSN covered it... Traffic killed!!!!!!

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:CSN - Dear Mr. Fantasy 2012/07/10 11:47:36 (permalink)
    Hi,

While I can appreciate CSN (and Y) and a lot of their work for the time and place, and ... there is a lot of music that was very nice ... and folks like CSN are basically telling you ... they have not lost the harmonies and are doing a lot of the old work some nice justice.

I do disagree with the music of today not being as good ... there is a lot of it, but it is buried behind the DAW's that are not very good harmonizers and they do not help folks do something like CSN did ... the DAW, has become the lazy man's instrument and is replacing something that the CSN are showing in there ... some magnificent musical ability in the vocal area ... that most of us are not capable of doing!

All in all ... this is a problem with "commercial" music ... it is not about the music ... and I think that CSN know that ... but then, they already have made their money, so spending their time doing something worthwhile now is not an issue ... they don't have to sell anymore to make money!

But I would like to see them do things that ... are lesser known, that also deserve to be shown and seen.

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1