Helpful ReplyCW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye?

Author
Mad_Musicologist
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
2018/12/02 04:20:49 (permalink)

CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye?

Hi all,
up to now, I am using CW SONAR by Gibson and CW SONAR by Bandlab as parallel installations.
It seems this practice becomes obsolete, but I am just not sure to cut the rope concerning CW SONAR by Gibson.
Should I just uninstall it, and what would I have to observe if I do this? Many folders are being shared by the 2 installations, I would hate to delete a folder that CW SONAR by Bandlab needs. 
My SSD system drive (500 GB) has little space left... The alternative would be having a larger system drive, but cloning the system drive in a system with Windows 10 (64 bit) is said to be tricky.
Any hints, please? 
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 04:35:01 (permalink)
You might lose some plugins if you uninstall. Personally, I would bite the bullet and spring for a bigger drive. I'm sure cloining is possible, some research should solve that. Or you could clean install Windows, but that of course is an ordeal and a half.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 05:01:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jon Sasor [Cakewalk] 2018/12/03 13:25:58
The Platinum program folder, user directory (including the master copy in ProgramData) and "Cakewalk Content" use ~1.5GB. Of that about 50% is in Cakewalk Content\SONAR Platinum\Tutorial Projects. Deleting the Tutorial Projects folder is a safe way to return a little over 800MB of space still leaving Platinum intact for CbB to use. That said, if a 500GB system drive is that close to full even returning all of the 1.5GB is not a big get.

Most of the disk space consumed by a full Platinum install are samples for the bundled synths. The sample libraries for DPro and Rapture Session are several times larger than the Platinum program and support files. Relocating the samples to another drive may be a good idea if it has not been done.

Another thing that could consume a lot of space is the download cache used by Cakewalk Command Center. If that was not routinely backed-up and purged it could get pretty big. By default, the path to the download cache is C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Command Center\Downloads. The actual path in show on the Paths tab in Cakewalk Command Center settings (click the gear in the upper right of the Command Center UI for the settings page). The files in that folder are the installers for Platinum and all the content. Backup the files and clear the folder.
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 05:51:01 (permalink)
Don't uninstall Splat, you'll lose too may plugins. I've always kept my C drive lean, so my image files aren't that big. I always downloaded Cakewalk Command Center files to my data HD not my C drive. 

My Cakewalk Content folder is on another HD also and it's 14 gigs. I'd strongly recommend not be using your C drive for your wav file folder for songs, put those on another  HD. 

Your OS drive should be SSD and your sample HD should be SSD, so your song loading time is very fast. No need for your Cakewalk Content folder to be on an SSD HD or any other type of data, like exported wav files or mp3's.

Also if you choose clean up system files on your C drive you can gain about 15 or more gigs. These are files if you decided to rollback to an earlier Win version.

I'd take a hard look at your 500 gig C drive and see where all the space is being used. Also CCleaner is a great way of cleaning up a bunch of useless files.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
user390096
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 05:58:26 (permalink)
I've cloned Windows 10 for upgrading to larger drives several times on my music/Cakewalk desktop and several laptops and it seems to work well and quickly. Do you have more than Cakewalk/Sonar program files on your drive, like the project files? It sounds like it.

I use a 500 GB SSD for my "C" drive and have Windows, Sonar/Cakewalk, and all of my other program files on it and have all my Sonar/Cakewalk project files on a 3 TB magnetic drive "D" that is backed up on another 3 TB drive "E" using the built-in Windows 10 automatic backup program. Big multi-terabyte drives are fairly cheap these days (around $100 for a 4 TB magnetic drive on Amazon, and around $60 for 3 TB, wow the prices have really dropped). That's an option you should look at as the project files just keep getting bigger and bigger....My "D" drive is actually showing up as red on "This PC" in Windows but it says I still have about 240 GB of free space which is pretty big. Of course, I also store a boatload of family pictures and videos on there but I guess that's modern day life with computers and I wouldn't trade it for the old days of recording on cassette tapes "hey guys, you can hear us pretty well over all that tape hiss"...
Bassman002
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 321
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 08:05:35 (permalink)
HI:)

As user390096 said, cloning the drive is very easy and fast and I never had problems with it. You can move your Win 10 license even with a new motherboard just with a few clicks....
That's what I've done 2 months ago. New motherboard, new SSD, same graphicscard. Just cloned the old SSD and registrated win10 with this new MB.

Bassman.

Cakewalk for DOS Shareware
Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
All Versions of Cakewalk
Sonar Platinum 64bit
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 11:24:19 (permalink)
I had recently cloned my aging boot/system magnetic hard drive a Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K rpm 500 gig  to a Western Digital SSD 500 gig with Windows 10 using the Acronis software that shipped with the SSD to clone it, and it was shockingly FAST and simple cloning and transferring about 240 gigs of data took about 20 minutes to complete.
  I set Acronis up started it and by the time I had a cup of coffee and eat an egg sandwich it was DONE!

I was very suspicious, I was preparing myself for the worst possible scenario thinking "Oh what kind of new Hell has this free Acronis software unleashed upon me?", because cloning has at times been a bit NERVE WRACKING! It usually took me hours in the past, and some times had to be repeated when failed the first time around, very annoying and time consuming to say the least.
But when I disconnected the VelociRaptor and set the SSD up as Boot Drive in BIOS I was amazed when my computer booted right up the way I left it.. Just a bit faster. I didn't even have to reregister any plugins with iLOK , Sony, or XLN Audio and was a pleasant surprise and first for me.

WD Raptors spin at 10,000 rpm, and are very fast to begin with, quiet as a church mouse, but mine was over 7 years old and I being I had a couple of failed boot ups in the past month or so, and I think I might have heard some strange rattling noise(?) so I figured it might be getting old, tired, and weary, so it's always better to stay on the save side and replace it with a new one, but...….. WD stopped manufacturing VelociRaptors, but, after buying out SanDisk, replaced the VelociRaptor line with the SSD line  soo...……..
That just made it a tad bit more scary having read some horror stories about SSDs in the past, just failing without the slightest signs of warning (like strange rattling noise from mechanical failure, but most of these stories were over a couple of year old now, soooo...…..

Also knowing that I can always plug my old cloned drive back in and start right back up where I left off, I went in to Newegg and bought me the WD SSD, and got Shell Shocked at how much the price went down and warrantee went up!
$74 (us) for a 500GB WD SSD with a 5 year warrantee! Pretty much the same as the WD VelociRaptors, except they cost $350 7 years ago, which was pricey, yes, but they were the world's fastest most reliable champions.
 VelociRaptors are so fast I didn't see much of a performance boost, bench test results of 6%, but that's still noticeable. :o)

And so after a few months now, I've grown from fearing SSDs to really, really liking them
 Same as I have Win 10, which after years now, has proven to be sooo freaking better and makes my life sooo much easier and hassle free than ANY other OS has ever done in the past.
 Especially during upgrading which is does all by itself, if it fails it just rolls itself back and you're right back where you left off.
If for some reason you don't like the upgrade, you have 30 days to decide roll it back.

As long as you have hardware and software that ISN'T over 6 or 7 years old, you should have zero problems with Win 10.

But if you do love the vintage stuff, stay with your vintage computer and vintage OS and be happy until it dies.
 But the longer you wait the stranger you will feel in the strange land of ever evolving technology.
 And you will most likely feel ridiculous when you realize how much better and easier it gets, and also realize it better to keep learning in small in small increments than having to start all over in BIG CHUNKS.

There's REALLY NOTHING TO FEAR BUT FEAR ITSELF!

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 12:09:52 (permalink)
I still have ALL of my project folders on my HDD but I'm probably going to have to remove them soon as I'm running low on space on my onboard 1TB drive on my music dedicated PC.  But you need to understand that I keep everything.  Every vocal take, etc and I could probably get rid of most of it and still maintain enough data for remixes or whatever down the road but it's an obsession with me.  I hate tho throw things away, even digital stuff.  I have all my projects backed up on a newly acquired TB Passport USB drive.  Deleting those project files from the HDD would give me back about 2/3 of my so far used space.

Regarding cloning-I didn't know it was so easy.  I put a thread up on this forum several weeks ago regarding backing up the whole HDD in case of total data loss or corruption. I think what I was really looking for was cloning, but I didn't use that term at the time.  I used the term "backup" so everybody just went along and gave me answers about backups.   Cloning was what I had in mind like explained here.  I want to move all my system files, including data, configurations and setups just as they are to a new drive so if I have to replace say a motherboard or something hardware, I can do that without starting over again after the fix.  I'm also looking at the possibility of a solid state drive.  Aren't those still kind of expensive though?

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
Mad_Musicologist
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 17:21:36 (permalink)
michael diemer
You might lose some plugins if you uninstall. Personally, I would bite the bullet and spring for a bigger drive. I'm sure cloning is possible, some research should solve that. Or you could clean install Windows, but that, of course, is an ordeal and a half.

Thankx, I shall see through the other answers, I just had to clean install Win 10 6 weeks ago, and you are right, it WAS an ordeal.  
Maybe I really go for a bigger System drive, there are SSDs with 1 TB at reasonable prices around this very season. But I know, the season doesn't last for long. ;-)
Mad_Musicologist
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 17:33:13 (permalink)
scook
The Platinum program folder, user directory (including the master copy in ProgramData) and "Cakewalk Content" is around 1.5GB. Of that, about 50% is in Cakewalk Content\SONAR Platinum\Tutorial Projects. Deleting the Tutorial Projects folder is a safe way to return a little over 800MB of space still leaving Platinum intact for CbB to use. That said, if a 500GB system drive is that close to full even returning all of the 1.5GB is not a big get.

I had deleted those already since I believe I am relatively firm in the use of SONAR :-) 
scook
Most of the disk space consumed by a full Platinum install are samples for the bundled synths. The sample libraries for DPro and Rapture Session are several times larger than the Platinum program and support files. Relocating the samples to another drive may be a good idea if it has not been done.

I am a bit reluctant to do so because the system drive is an SSD. I am therefore musing to go for a 1 TB SSD which is available for a few days more at a reasonable price. Thanks to black and cyber week. I know I've to hurry up then.
scook
Another thing that could consume a lot of space is the download cache used by the Cakewalk Command Center. If that was not routinely backed-up and purged it could get pretty big. By default, the path to the download cache is C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Command Center\Downloads. The actual path in show on the Paths tab in Cakewalk Command Center settings (click the gear in the upper right of the Command Center UI for the settings page). The files in that folder are the installers for Platinum and all the content. Backup the files and clear the folder.

Thankx again, I had changed the download path to my second (HDD) drive quite early as I noticed quite early I need to control the available disk space.

stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 17:37:54 (permalink)
The only ordeal with re installing win 10 is re installing all the apps. I imagine thats what most folks worry about.
Many apps that can migrate an OS complete to a another drive. Probably you would still have to re authorize vsts and apps. Some are free, most all ae dirt cheap.

I asked Izotope (I have many of their plugins) if just cloning to a new HD would trigger authorization and they said definitely.
Kind of a bummer really.

I remember back when you had to change "X amount" of things to trigger a different machine code. Now it's aplmost anything.
That stinks imho.

Mad_Musicologist
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 17:41:39 (permalink)
Steev
I had recently cloned my aging boot/system magnetic hard drive a Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K rpm 500 gig  to a Western Digital SSD 500 gig with Windows 10 using the Acronis software that shipped with the SSD to clone it, and it was shockingly FAST and simple cloning and transferring about 240 gigs of data took about 20 minutes to complete.
  I set Acronis up started it and by the time I had a cup of coffee and eat an egg sandwich, it was DONE!

I was very suspicious, I was preparing myself for the worst possible scenario thinking "Oh what kind of new Hell has this free Acronis software unleashed upon me?", because cloning has at times been a bit NERVE WRACKING! It usually took me hours in the past, and sometimes had to be repeated when failed the first time around, very annoying and time-consuming to say the least.
But when I disconnected the VelociRaptor and set the SSD up as Boot Drive in BIOS I was amazed when my computer booted right the way I left it... Just a bit faster. I didn't even have to reregister any plugins with iLOK , Sony, or XLN Audio and was a pleasant surprise and first for me.

Well, I think I'll do as you suggest, just with another cloning software, but I get your idea.

Steev
WD Raptors spin at 10,000 rpm, and are very fast, to begin with, quiet as a church mouse, but mine was over 7 years old and I being I had a couple of failed boot ups in the past month or so, and I think I might have heard some strange rattling noise(?) so I figured it might be getting old, tired, and weary, so it's always better to stay on the save side and replace it with a new one, but...….. WD stopped manufacturing VelociRaptors, but, after buying out SanDisk, replaced the VelociRaptor line with the SSD line soo...……..
That just made it a tad bit more scary having read some horror stories about SSDs in the past, just failing without the slightest signs of warning (like strange rattling noise from mechanical failure, but most of these stories were over a couple of years old now, soooo...…..

Also knowing that I can always plug my old cloned drive back in and start right back up where I left off, I went in to Newegg and bought me the WD SSD, and got Shell Shocked at how much the price went down and warranty went up!
$74 (us) for a 500GB WD SSD with a 5-year warranty! Pretty much the same as the WD VelociRaptors, except they cost $350 7 years ago, which was pricey, yes, but they were the world's fastest most reliable champions.
 VelociRaptors are so fast I didn't see much of a performance boost, bench test results of 6%, but that's still noticeable. :o)

And so after a few months now, I've grown from fearing SSDs to really, really liking them
 Same as I have Win 10, which after years now, has proven to be sooo freaking better and makes my life sooo much easier and hassle-free than ANY other OS has ever done in the past.
 Especially during upgrading which it does all by itself, if it fails it just rolls itself back and you're right back where you left off.
If for some reason you don't like the upgrade, you have 30 days to decide roll it back.

As long as you have hardware and software that ISN'T over 6 or 7 years old, you should have zero problems with Win 10.

But if you do love the vintage stuff, stay with your vintage computer and vintage OS and be happy until it dies.
But the longer you wait, the stranger you will feel in the strange land of ever-evolving technology.
And you will most likely feel ridiculous when you realize how much better and easier it gets, and also realize it better to keep learning in small in small increments than having to start all over in BIG CHUNKS.

There's REALLY NOTHING TO FEAR BUT FEAR ITSELF!

Well, I am using Win 10 home 64 bit, no vintage anymore. :-) Actually, you just confirm what I am up to, thankx for that.
Mad_Musicologist
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 17:49:12 (permalink)
Johnbee58
I still have ALL of my project folders on my HDD but I'm probably going to have to remove them soon as I'm running low on space on my onboard 1TB drive on my music dedicated PC.  But you need to understand that I keep everything.  Every vocal take, etc and I could probably get rid of most of it and still maintain enough data for remixes or whatever down the road but it's an obsession with me.  I hate to throw things away, even digital stuff.  I have all my projects backed up on a newly acquired TB Passport USB drive.  Deleting those project files from the HDD would give me back about 2/3 of my so far used space.

I have grown to the idea if it's possible to have a 3rd onboard HD: I am about ( after all the answers I found here) to clone my 500 GB system SSD to a 1 TB SSD (reasonable prices these days), and use the 500 GB SSD for the current project outputs before they are accomplished. Maybe my PC architecture allows this. Otherwise, I can save finished projects on an external HD which I also keep here.
Johnbee58
Regarding cloning-I didn't know it was so easy.  I put a thread up on this forum several weeks ago regarding backing up the whole HDD in case of total data loss or corruption. I think what I was really looking for was cloning, but I didn't use that term at the time.  I used the term "backup" so everybody just went along and gave me answers about backups.   Cloning was what I had in mind like explained here.  I want to move all my system files, including data, configurations, and setups just as they are to a new drive so if I have to replace say a motherboard or something hardware, I can do that without starting over again after the fix.  I'm also looking at the possibility of a solid state drive.  Aren't those still kind of expensive though?

I have a limited offer for a 1 TB SSD by Seagate at EUR 138.00, VAT included. I think that's a thing to snap at.
scook
Forum Host
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 18:28:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DeeringAmps 2018/12/23 14:37:54
Mad_Musicologist
I have grown to the idea if it's possible to have a 3rd onboard HD

My guess is this is real source of the issue - too much non-system related data on the system drive. 500GB is a big system drive. Expanding the size of the system drive instead of adding to non-system drive space for non-system data is poor disk management. Consider adding additional non-system space, if necessary and cleaning up the existing system drive.

The sample-based synths bundled with SONAR load relatively small sample sets per program and do not stream samples. The only advantage to having their samples on an SSD is faster program/project loading. Synths that stream samples or load big sample sets are a different matter.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 19:22:33 (permalink)
Here is a wonderful free utility that will show you what is filling up your folders on Windows.  I use it to wrangle my disk utilization all the time. 

Windows explorer doesn't really show the relative folder sizes in use, but this does it very well!!!

https://windirstat.net/

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 19:23:40 (permalink)
The "Cakewalk Content" and "Cakewalk Projects" folders are assigned in SONAR/CbB, so you can simply move them to a new drive and map them inside SONAR/CbB via Preferences->File->Folder locations.

Regarding disk management otherwise (using directory junctions), please see this post regarding finding the massive directories on your C drive (to me, "massive" is anything over 5GB, since I keep my OS drive around 125GB or lower just for imaging reasons) and creating directory junctions to them. I just bought a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe m.2, so remapped things by simply breaking the C junction and assigning it to the new F drive (after copying the D drive to F from the post referenced above). A little more detail to the post above, pretty much all of the "massives" are in the following directories (I do not junction system directories, since they are what you want in a disk image for restoring):

C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files (x86)
C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents
C:\ProgramData

As many libraries are now defaulted to "User/documents" (I always use defaults except for VST Plugins anymore, then junction them), here is an example from that post on how to junction:

mklink /j "C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\Celemony" "D:\Celemony"

the format is mklink /j [source] [target] and the source directory must not exist (i.e., be moved) to create it.

Celemony's Separations are stored here, and only purge when they breach 10GB by default IIRC. To make the junction, first copy the Celemony directory (from C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\) to your target location, and add both directories to a text file (via NotePad is easiest). You can also get the path accurately without typing by clicking on the address bar in Windows Explorer and copying the text path that gets highlighted.

In the text file, I save this content:

mklink /j "C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\Celemony" "D:\Celemony"
/pause

the /pause keeps the window from auto-closing so that you know it works. Save that file (I believe NotePad forces it to be .txt), then rename it to .bat. Right clicking the .bat, you can run as Administrator, and the popup window will tell you success before you manually close it.

I found it easier after making the first to right click that .bat file, editing it for a new junction, then saving with a new name (this will keep the .bat extension, and give you one file for each junction made).

Bottom line, you can easily recover 75% of a 500 GB OS drive doing the above... for your purposes, keeping it "within reason" is all that you need to do. Let TreeSize Free be your guide and start with the biggest directories first. Paths with audio (including samples) and video in them alone will probably do it, and as mentioned before, the ones found in SONAR/CbB via Preferences->File->Folder locations can just be moved and remapped there (SONAR/CbB preferences *are* the "junctions" in that case... no bat files necessary).

[Quick edit] The downloads folder and Temp directories can also fill quickly and get out of hand if not specifically checked. I move downloads to an external spinner, and purge Temp folders ever week or so. These would also be found with an app that can list directories by size (I use TreeSize Free, but there are others as mentioned elsewhere).
post edited by mettelus - 2018/12/02 22:11:14

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 19:41:41 (permalink)
What plugins would you lose? I don't think you would lose any of them.  I've always put my content on a separate drive.  The Cakewalk exe. files are small.
 Bandlab is pretty much a lateral move.

Take inventory of what's sing up drive space.  If you installed Platinum "everything" it would take up 19gb.  Rapture and Dimension sounds can be put on another drive.

If we are talking about a laptop then it's a different scenario.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 20:16:26 (permalink)
Good thing to do if you're considering this is to check and see how much space SPlat is actually using. CbB doesn't take up all that much room on my C: drive.

SPlat was a suite, and there was a lot of valuable software that came with it that doesn't come with CbB. If you uninstall it, the other software might uninstall along with it.

As others have already said, chances are you can free up a TON of space by just getting rid of or moving stuff that doesn't need to be on your C: drive anyway.

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
scook
Forum Host
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 20:21:03 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
 If you installed Platinum "everything" it would take up 19gb.

This is true but most of it may be used in CbB. This is why I reported the size of the parts of Platinum in program files, programData, Cakewalk content and user directories that are Platinum specific. Everything else may be used in CbB. Of course, very little Platinum or CbB must be on the system drive.
digimidi
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 496
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 21:08:44 (permalink)
I migrated (cloned) my 500 GB Samsung Evo to a 1 TB Samsung Evo without any problems.  I used Acronis True Image to do it and seemed to have suffered no ill effects.  You probably can too.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left... 
http://daveowenmusic.com/
http://fabulous52s.com/
https://soundcloud.com/daveowenmusic

Sonar Platinum Edition/Cakewalk by BandLab: Dell 8700 XPS i7 16GB RAM, Cyberpower laptop w/8GB RAM/i7/2GB NVidia card/Tascam US1641/Focusrite 18i6/Melodyne Studio 4/Waves Plugs (a lot)/Garritan/EWQL Symphony Silver & Fab 4 and a bunch of other stuff. Studio One 3/Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite/Mixcraft 8 Pro/Reaper/Acid Pro 8
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/02 21:17:17 (permalink)
The easiest thing to do (and therefore what I would do) is to clone your 500 GB drive to a fresh 1000 GB drive. You will have what you have now, plus over 500 GB free space. You can then continue working, and worry about freeing up space later at your leisure.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/03 01:22:42 (permalink)
Had to laugh as all my system drives are only 240GB SSD. I just checked and my 2 DAW machines are only half full ( 120 GB ) And I have a crud load of software installed. I also generally do not re direct sample libraries.. only DIM Pro and my Air xpand are on my 1 TB data drive along with back ups and movies etc. 

I don't record to my SSD C drive as a tech told me they should not be written over and over.  I don't store any data there. Most my stuff is in One Drive and Drop Box. I record directly to  a 3rd drive a 240 GB SSD that is pure CWP folders. Taking the techs advice I will just swap it out every couple of years, put it aside as a backup. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/03 03:15:18 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Had to laugh as all my system drives are only 240GB SSD...

Same here. My previous one was only 110GB and that was easily adequate. But I've got several larger drives for non-OS stuff and I'm fussy about how I organise it all.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Studioguy1
  • Total Posts : 244
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/07 03:41:15 (permalink)
To clone that drive, Acronis is your answer.  However, with that said, I have moved all larger files, wavs and Kontakt stuff to an external drive.  Had to go in and change a few paths, but that is a simple solution.  You should have no problem is you work that way.

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
- 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
Blue Clown Records Ltd
Blue Clown Publishing BMI
Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/07 17:42:01 (permalink)
Like Cactus Music, my SSD's are about the same-250GB and less than 5 used-about 96GB used. I do have multiple hard drives. But I have many apps. That's my desktop.

My Asus laptop is the same. I removed the CD writer\reader in my laptop and installed a second hard drive in it's place.
Very easy to do.

Positively Charged
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/11 08:12:40 (permalink)
Macrium Reflect is an excellent backup and restore utility, and it allows you to "clone" or prepare a new hard drive directly from a backup file on one of your many backup drives.  You do take backups, yes?

This is wonderful because if you ever have a hard drive go pear-shaped, it may already be too late to start thinking about cloning it.

Cactus Music
...I don't record to my SSD C drive as a tech told me they should not be written over and over. 

I too don't write to my C partition, but that's for organizational purposes rather than performance or to increase life expectancy of components.

Besides that, the write-durability of SSDs hasn't been a serious issue for real-world use.  Not even when you direct your Windows swap file onto an SSD, and not even when you turn on Bitlocker.  For some interesting reading, please see this article on the big murderous SSD endurance test done some years back. 

For me, it's more important to be taking BACKUPS than it is to worry about wearing out my SSDs.
burgerproduction
  • Total Posts : 209
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/11 09:39:55 (permalink)
I cloned my HD to an SSD (Samsung Evo) in Windows 10. It was very easy indeed. You just need an external HD case, plug it into your USB port and fire up the bundled software. The second time I came to clone my HD, it was SSD to SSD....my god it was fast.  The cloning process took so much less time.

Regarding your 500 GB driving getting full up, you might want to do what everyone above suggested, clean out old download files. Every time you update plugins, like iZotope products, they leave a download file on your computer. These files can get pretty big and, if there are duplicates, they will quickly fill up your computer with setup files.  I have an external 1TB drive where I keep backups of the most recent setup files (just in case), and periodically clean out the old setups.  The same goes for downloaded samplers, sample files, vst instruments etc. If they were downloaded, chances are they have left a trace somewhere on your computer taking up precious space.
I'm surprised you are running out of space because I use a 256 GB drive and still have space, and I've got Sonar 4-Platinum (+ all instruments) installed along with Bandlab, various other DAWs and some big sampler programs such as Kontakt (+extra samples), Addictive Drums (+extra kits), tons of VSTs, the list goes on....Recently I decided to uninstall some of the free instruments bundled with Sonar simply because I never use them and they were just taking up space.

My way of working is: I keep the program files and samples on the main SSD (I work on a laptop) and run my sessions from an external drive hooked up to the eSAT port. This drive is a regular 7200rpm hhd. Why? Because SSDs have a limited read/write life-cycle, where as HHDs do not. Also, if your SSD gets corrupted/damaged, you lose everything.  HHDs, even when damaged, are usually recoverable. My son once dropped my HHD drive with about 4 years of music production on it. The drive stopped booting up, but periodically I would try it on my Linux computer until one day it sparked to life and I spent the whole day recovering what I could from the drive....it never worked again after that (one lucky shot).  Another reason to have an external drive is that you can run virtual instruments from the SSD (where the read speed is fantastic) and write to the HHD without interruption from a read process.
The only time I deviate from the above is when I'm on the move. Then I may transfer the sessions I'm working on to my SSD so that I can mix on the move.

Hope this helps

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :
https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

Mad_Musicologist
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/23 12:16:56 (permalink)
HO, HO, HO!
Merry Christmas to you all - !
Finally, I built in my new SSD, 1 TB large, cloned C:/ to the new one, everything ok so far. I changed the internal cables and positions of the 2 drives, took the old 500 B drive out, rebooted - and all programs from MS Office over both Sonar (with plugins), Sibelius to ProTools: all working fine and without any trouble. even a first small Windows update. And the printer. And the USB-connections. And the optical drive. All fine.
Now I shall wait until the next major Windows update, then I will delete all the stuff on my extracted drive, and insert it to have additional, fast storage. It's also an SSD, after all. 
As other members said here, it's no problem at all to do a little cloning once in a while. Thanks for encouraging me.
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: CW SONAR by Gibson - Time to say Goodbye? 2018/12/23 14:50:02 (permalink)
scook
"My guess is this is real source of the issue - too much non-system related data on the system drive. 500GB is a big system drive. Expanding the size of the system drive instead of adding to non-system drive space for non-system data is poor disk management. Consider adding additional non-system space, if necessary and cleaning up the existing system"
Steve gave you the best answer and you ignored his advice, I'm just chiming in here so someone doing a search
will make use of the "best answer".
Keep the C drive "lean and mean", 250gb is plenty; SSD if budget allows.
Put your samples on a 500gb to 1TB SSD for fast load times. m.2 if budget and mother board allow.
Your cwp files on a 7200 mechanical drive, until write and re-write is proven to not cause "issues" for SSD's.
More than once I've seen those who wanted to put the OS on the M.2 drive; are you nuts!
The m.2 seems to load NI and SD3, before I open the project; well not literally, but still, its right now!
To each his own, but as Steve implied: for a DAW, disk management, disk management, disk management.
Disk management is to a DAW what "location" is to Real Estate.
You can thank me later...

T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1