CWBRN-61644 : Plugin parameter automation does not work when loaded from a saved project

Author
foldaway
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
2016/12/06 10:53:44 (permalink)

CWBRN-61644 : Plugin parameter automation does not work when loaded from a saved project

This problem appears to have been introduced in the 2016.11 update & has affected previous versions.  I've rolled back & tested in 2016.10 & 2016.09 upd2, all with the same results.

To recreate:

1. Create a simple audio+midi project
2. Add a VST synth
3. Record some parameter automation & some MIDI for it
4. Save project
5. Close project
6. Reload project
7. Play

On playback of the loaded project, it should naturally sound the same as it did before the project was saved.  However, when playing the project none of the VST plugin automation is working.

The automation data is visible in the track background but the automation cannot be selected through the automation lane edit filter drop-downs, as the 'plugin -> parameter' targets are non-existent in the edit filter dropdown. (ie. the plugin is not available as a menu item).

If the automation lanes were open while saving the project, then they are visible in the lanes when opening the project. However the parameters they are linked to = 'Unnamed'. (ie. plugin is available in the edit dropdown but the parameters are shown as 'Unnamed')

This probem applies to vst 2 & 3 plugins. The Pro-Channel plugins are not affacted by the problem.

11 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: CWBRN-61644 : Plugin parameter automation does not work when loaded from a saved proje 2016/12/06 18:05:48 (permalink)
    Tried with Si-String, works as expected.

Please specify with which VSTs you have the issue. If with all/many, what you have in Preferences / File / VST Settings / Scan options? Try to set "Manual Scan" there.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    foldaway
    Re: CWBRN-61644 : Plugin parameter automation does not work when loaded from a saved proje 2016/12/06 19:21:07 (permalink)
    Hi azslow3, thanks for the test.  The problem exists with all VSTs I have tried, including SI-String.
    Rescanning the VSTs does not help.  The only difference from prior to the 2016.11 update, is that I got a crash when scanning LP 64 EQ, so I suspect the issue may be connected to the CA2A / LP 64 EQ issue that has been reported by a lot of people.
    theheliosequence
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 125
    Re: CWBRN-61644 : Plugin parameter automation does not work when loaded from a saved proje 2017/07/04 20:48:25 (permalink)
    I have been running into this issue lately when using Sonar. I'll have a session with some plugin automation here and there... everything is working as expected. I'll save the session and come back to it the next day and suddenly a plugin will have all of it's automation "disconnected" and the plugin automation will not be available from the automation drop down menu on the track (even though the plugin is on, working correctly and read automation is, of course, enabled).

In my last Sonar session, I was using the UAD Moog Filter XL plugin and sweeping the cutoff frequency and the plugin bypass. The automation that is there can't be reassigned since the plugin is no longer in the automation drop down menu. To make matters worse, one can't select orphaned automation unless it was the last view of the track before the automation was "disconnected" (so if you changed to volume automation, for example, then you will not be able to select or reassign either orphaned automation in my case).  The only solution is to make a brand new instance of the plugin and redo the automation. BUT, then once the session is saved and reopened, the plugin automation is "disconnected" again!

I can potentially do some more testing to see if I can figure out what different plugins this may be happening with, but unfortunately for now, I have deadlines for multiple projects and don't really have the time. This is mostly just me putting out a feeler to see if anyone else is having this issue and if any solutions have been found.

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to respond!
    foldaway
    Re: CWBRN-61644 : Plugin parameter automation does not work when loaded from a saved proje 2017/07/05 23:15:55 (permalink)
    Sadly, I'm still in the same boat.  I guess I at least now have some company!

I've only had chance to briefly test each new monthly release in the hope that is issues has been fixed (also busy with large projects).  Unfortunately, so far it hasn't & I've not been able to find a solution.

Hopefully one of the CW devs will notice this thread & the (real show stopper of an) issue will make it onto a todo list somewhere beyond this forum.  It'd be nice to make music with sonar again.
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: CWBRN-61644 : Plugin parameter automation does not work when loaded from a saved proje 2017/07/06 02:00:46 (permalink)
    I would suggest that there is some system-specific thing on your machine that is causing this. Have you tried to run Sonar as Administrator?

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    theheliosequence
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 125
    Re: CWBRN-61644 : Plugin parameter automation does not work when loaded from a saved proje 2017/07/06 05:12:08 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    I would suggest that there is some system-specific thing on your machine that is causing this. Have you tried to run Sonar as Administrator?

Regards,
    Dan

I have and it made no changes. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Could just be some bad programing that only affect certain plugins. Not sure yet. Perhaps if there is anyone out there with the UAD Moog Filter XL who could test to see if you can automate the filter, save the session and come back to the session to see if the automation disconnects or not?
    dcumpian
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: CWBRN-61644 : Plugin parameter automation does not work when loaded from a saved proje 2017/07/06 13:06:42 (permalink)
    theheliosequence
    dcumpian

Regards,
    Dan

I have and it made no changes. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Could just be some bad programing that only affect certain plugins. Not sure yet. Perhaps if there is anyone out there with the UAD Moog Filter XL who could test to see if you can automate the filter, save the session and come back to the session to see if the automation disconnects or not?

I don't have any UAD stuff, but I know there are several on these forums that so. If this affected all of them, there would be a huge thread about it on the front page. That's why I'm thinking something on your system is the culprit, though I'm stumped as to what it could be.

Hopefully someone here using UAD plugins will see this and respond...

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    foldaway
    Re: CWBRN-61644 : Plugin parameter automation does not work when loaded from a saved proje 2017/09/14 18:57:59 (permalink)
    @the bakers : The issue described here appears related to http://forum.cakewalk.com...nditions-m3643814.aspx ?

If it is, then as the linked thread was locked, does that mean it can be reproduced & a fix is in development?
    & if so, when might it be expected?

Please respond.  nb. It's been 9 months since this was raised without any movement on this.

Thanks in advance
    Jon Sasor [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 284
    Re: CWBRN-61644 : Plugin parameter automation does not work when loaded from a saved proje 2017/09/14 20:44:27 (permalink)
    foldaway
    @the bakers : The issue described here appears related to http://forum.cakewalk.com...nditions-m3643814.aspx ?

If it is, then as the linked thread was locked, does that mean it can be reproduced & a fix is in development?
    & if so, when might it be expected?

Please respond.  nb. It's been 9 months since this was raised without any movement on this.

Thanks in advance

Yup, per my comment in the locked thread, that's been reproduced and logged. Unfortunately I don't have an exact estimate as to when there might be a fix, but we're looking into it. Thanks.

Jonathan Sasor
    Quality Assurance Engineer 
    BandLab
    foldaway
    Re: CWBRN-61644 : Plugin parameter automation does not work when loaded from a saved proje 2017/09/14 22:29:45 (permalink)
    Thanks Jon for the quick response & I'm really glad to hear that it's being worked on.  Very much looking forward to the upcoming fix!
    bitman
    • Total Posts : 4105
    Re: CWBRN-61644 : Plugin parameter automation does not work when loaded from a saved proje 2017/09/18 02:48:52 (permalink)
    CA-2A VST is giving similar issues I see here.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1