Helpful ReplyCakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
fhender
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2010/07/27 19:23:39 (permalink)

CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7

I use Cakwalk 3.01 with Windows XP...How can I use it with Windows 7 , wich driver do I need ?

Greetings
Hen
planetearth
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 763
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2010/08/01 14:19:58 (permalink)
Unfortunately, you probably can't get it to work with Windows 7, especially the 64-bit version. There are just too many things that have changed between Cakewalk 3 and Windows 7.

Windows XP was a lot more forgiving of 16-bit applications, and had relatively lax security. Windows 7 (64-bit) doesn't allow 16-bit applications, and has ridiculously severe security "features". These "features" will block many parts of Cakewalk from working properly.

Sorry about that.

post edited by planetearth - 2010/08/01 14:25:06

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
daveny5
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2010/08/03 21:56:36 (permalink)

Windows 7 (64-bit) doesn't allow 16-bit applications, and has ridiculously severe security "features".

That's a bunch of baloney. It has great security features which are MUCH more transparent than Vista. Windows 7 is the best Windows ever. It may not run 20 year old programs, but I doubt Cakewalk 3 runs on XP either.

If you must run that ancient program, get Windows 7 Professional. It has a virtual XP environment, IF your computer can handle it. Its time for you to upgrade to a newer version of Cakewalk. You're missing out a lot trying to use Cakewalk 3. Otherwise, stick with XP.

post edited by daveny5 - 2010/08/03 22:00:40

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
planetearth
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2010/08/03 22:51:27 (permalink)
That's a bunch of baloney. It has great security features which are MUCH more transparent than Vista. Windows 7 is the best Windows ever. It may not run 20 year old programs, but I doubt Cakewalk 3 runs on XP either.

Thanks for the Windows 7 cheer-leading, Dave...and for missing the point of the post.

Yes, Windows 7 may be the "best" Windows ever--but that's grading on a curve. The security is still onerous--it's just hidden now. And it will still get in the way of old apps trying to access things they're not supposed to. You may not see the warnings now; it's just that the app won't work properly, and you won't know why.

The 16-bit subsystem was removed from Vista. Windows 7 is basically Vista with the ugly parts painted over. Microsoft did not add the 16-bit subsystem back to Windows 7; they merely grafted on an "XP Mode" to justify the upgrade after the Vista debacle.

Anyone who's still running XP with Cakewalk 3 (which fhender clearly states he's doing, despite your doubt that he is) may not necessarily have the money to buy a new computer that's powerful enough to run Windows 7 Professional (which he'd need for "XP Mode"). On top of that, he'd have to upgrade the sound card and MIDI I/O and other hardware, probably. You can't easily "upgrade" to Windows 7 from XP; you have to basically install it and then install all your applications and new drivers. Microsoft recommends you buy a machine with Windows 7 on it instead!

Many people have had trouble trying to run 16-bit apps in Windows 7 (64-bit), even with XP Mode, and there's no guarantee that XP Mode won't slow down Cakewalk in general, since it was only designed to support "productivity" apps that ran on XP (and to calm IT manager fears about "yet another upgrade breaking my apps").

There are many potential problems in trying to put Windows 7 onto a machine that was running XP and then getting a 12+ year-old app to run on it. I was trying to suggest he not attempt this, because he could end up with no working version of Windows or Cakewalk when he's finished. And if that happened, I doubt fhender would agree with you that Windows 7 is "the best Windows ever".

I respect your knowledge of SONAR and audio recording, Dave, and I've read many of your posts in this forum. I'm just not sure what you're suggesting here is best for fhender. Yes, he should probably upgrade to SONAR 9 (when it comes out in a few weeks), but he'll also need a new computer then, and that will come with Windows 7. Unless and until he's ready to drop several hundred dollars on that, there's no need to "push" him to Windows 7 now if it's only going to cause problems on his old computer.
post edited by planetearth - 2010/08/03 22:55:45

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
DanZ
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/02/09 02:20:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby south40 2018/02/15 21:31:59
A word to The Powers That Be at Cakewalk:

I also use Cakewalk v3.01, because it is a solid program and I do not need anything more than a MIDI sequencer. It runs just fine for me in WinXP Pro. For years I have longed for, at the very least, the availability of CWv3.01 on CD so at least I can install it from that medium, since floppy disc drives seem to now be a thing of the past.

I will not be moving to Win7 any time soon.

I have been using Cakewalk since it was a DOS program. I know this program's functions like the back of my hand. This allows me to get my work done very quickly. To update to a new sequencer would only slow me down. As such, I have little desire to upgrade to a new version of Cakewalk's sequencing software, especially since the newer versions are loaded with audio functions that I do not need, as well as altered menu's and keyboard shortcuts which only serve to confuse and frustrate.

Please, please, please, consider making v3.01 available as an installable from CD version, if only as an update/backup for us loyal v3.01 users. You'd be making many of us very happy. I for one would happily pay a reasonable amount for this.

DanZ
post edited by DanZ - 2011/02/09 02:30:41
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/02/09 07:05:01 (permalink)
Danz - I don't wish to crush your hopes, but there's no way cakewalk will update v3.01 for you and other users.  their philosophy has been "upgrade" if you want it to work on the newer OS.  that's been their advice for as many years as I've been on the forums.

also, they rarely read these threads anyway.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/02/09 07:15:31 (permalink)
DanZ can't you copy the floppy to cd or flash drive and run as an installable from there? (burn as ISO or something?)

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
DanZ
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/02/12 09:32:39 (permalink)
Copying the floppy to CD, etc. would only be a backup measure. The files would have to be copied back to a floppy for installation or recovery of the program, because the setup routine searches for files on drive a:. I tried running setup from a CD backup once, and got error messages to the effect of, "Can't find files on drive a:"

Maybe the setup.exe code can be updated so that the installation routine searches for files on whatever drive letter the CD drive has assigned to it. If there's a way for a layman such as I to do this, someone please explain how.
planetearth
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/02/12 23:15:30 (permalink)
DanZ,
You can't edit the SETUP executable without some specialized software and knowledge of the code used to compile it. Even at that, it's a violation of the license agreement.

While I agree that it would be nice/convenient to run old programs in Windows 7, that's not going to happen. You're going to have to upgrade Cakewalk eventually. And if you're willing to pay "a reasonable amount" for this, why not just upgrade to X1 Essential, even if you don't use most of its features? You can get it right now for only $79 (http://www.store.cakewalk...uctid=10-CXSE1.00-20E) and you won't have to worry about not being able to load Cakewalk any more.

That said, there are several decent, low-cost (or free) MIDI sequencers out there if you simply don't need the audio part. These programs won't read your Cakewalk files, but they'll read Standard MIDI files, and they'll work under the latest version of Windows.

If you don't want to deal with any of that, check the forums gamers use. For years, they've had to get old DOS games to work in ever-newer versions of Windows. There are some old DOS commands that might do what you need, once you get the files onto a CD. If you do a search for "install DOS games windows xp", you'll see a lot of resources on how to do this. The same basic concepts should work for Cakewalk, but you'll want to try them before it's too late.

Steve

DanZ
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/02/16 06:23:46 (permalink)
Imagine buying a new car and finding that the turn signal stem is now on the right side instead of the left, the steering wheel turns the car to the left when you throw it to the right, and the gas/break/clutch pedals have been reversed, forward gear is now reverse and reverse gear is now forward. You'd have to learn how to drive all over again.

That's what the new version of Cakewalk software feel like to me. I've downloaded several of the trial versions of Sonar, and found the new interface to be confusing. It's more geared for audio users than MIDI sequencing users. The screens look different, the old keyboard shortcuts that I'm familiar with are gone. It's like having to learn to program all over again.

At this point I'll search for some other sequencer program before I pay to upgrade to any new version of Cakewalk. They've left their original supporters in the dust in favor of newer, more complicated versions of their software, when a tweak or two that are relatively easy for them and would keep us older users happy would have done the trick -  and they could have charged us $59 - $79 for it.

Looks like I'm going to have to keep a second machine with at least WinXP on it to do my MIDI programming work, and keep a backup of the diskette on CD ROM just in case my floppy ever fails. Cakewalk, I knew ye well...
giankap
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/02/16 06:55:53 (permalink)
DanZ

Imagine buying a new car and finding that the turn signal stem is now on the right side instead of the left, the steering wheel turns the car to the left when you throw it to the right, and the gas/break/clutch pedals have been reversed, forward gear is now reverse and reverse gear is now forward. You'd have to learn how to drive all over again.

That's what the new version of Cakewalk software feel like to me. I've downloaded several of the trial versions of Sonar, and found the new interface to be confusing. It's more geared for audio users than MIDI sequencing users. The screens look different, the old keyboard shortcuts that I'm familiar with are gone. It's like having to learn to program all over again.

At this point I'll search for some other sequencer program before I pay to upgrade to any new version of Cakewalk. They've left their original supporters in the dust in favor of newer, more complicated versions of their software, when a tweak or two that are relatively easy for them and would keep us older users happy would have done the trick -  and they could have charged us $59 - $79 for it.

Looks like I'm going to have to keep a second machine with at least WinXP on it to do my MIDI programming work, and keep a backup of the diskette on CD ROM just in case my floppy ever fails. Cakewalk, I knew ye well...

my dear friend you have to understand that most of the members here are as old cakewalk users as you are. the difference is that most of us work in audio as well. if you want to use cakewalk software only as a midi sequencer, this is very respectable but unfortunately that would make you the exception here. cakewalk didn't abandon their oldest customers, they've just offered more capabilities in their software for the ones that needed them. and that's the majority of people in this forum.

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/02/16 07:12:06 (permalink)
hey if i can run cakewalk proaudio 9.0 on windows 7....and o ya...ps...daveny is very sensitive when it comes to windows 7..hes a bigtime supporter..lol..(pssss dave){im whispering}...i love windows 7 too.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/02/16 07:17:37 (permalink)
DanZ

im not sure youve researched this enough,,because oddly enough..the keyboard short cuts..alot of them are indeed the same...you also make it sound like the stop button now controls playback and the rewind button is now the record button..im not sure what demos youve been using but i jumped right from pro audio 9.0 to homestudio and then x1 a week later..the learning curve was there but not really what you describe...dont undercut yourself..you'd do just fine ..and youd know your way around fine..except maybe the new gui..that might take a few hours,but thats a small price to pay to play with the big boys.good luck

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/02/16 09:44:30 (permalink)
I'm interested to know what you can do on CW 3 regarding MIDI sequencing that can't be done on the later Cakewalk DAWs.
The audio features are not mandatory; you can select the 'MIDI Only' template and click away. And Music Creator 5 is only $35 for the download. That doesn't include all of the sounds for the soft synths (the boxed version has everything for $40), but you won't need them anyway.
I've been doing MIDI sequencing (I think ) for years on MC 2003, MC Pro 24 and SHS6.
I'm not trying to start an argument; I really want to know what the differences are.
post edited by 57Gregy - 2011/02/16 10:28:17

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
kitewiper
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/03/24 07:57:55 (permalink)
Hi there,

Im glad to tell U that i just tested the Cakewalk 3.01 on a PC running Windows 7 32-bit version.
And everything worked perfect!
I have tested on a 64-bit system also, and that did´nt work.

Kind regards

Pvk.
musicheals
  • Total Posts : 12
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/04/14 15:36:17 (permalink)
And you can still pick up a USB floppy drive from Ebay.  They used to be targeted to the laptop crowd, but now they're an asset for these kinds of "oldies".
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 751
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/04/14 18:59:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Paul Ewing 2014/08/11 04:39:39
fhender

I use Cakwalk 3.01 with Windows XP...How can I use it with Windows 7 , wich driver do I need ?

Greetings
Hen

Disclaimer: although we do not officially support Cakewalk 3.01 on Windows 7 this might help you out.

1. Right-click on the .exe or shortcut and choose 'Properties'
  2. Click on the 'Compatibility' tab
  3. Under 'run this program in compatibility mode for:' choose WinXP
  4. Under 'Privilege Level' section check off the box 'Always Run as Admin'
  5. Click Apply and then OK
No promises that will work but it can't hurt, especially since there is no way on earth that 3.01 is UAC compliant the admin switch might help.  another solution might be to run WinXP mode.  Check out: http://www.microsoft.com/...rtual-pc/download.aspx for more info.

@Danz - no promises but I will look into it we have been looking at ways to re-distribute some of our older products as downloads

Willy Jones 
Cakewalk
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 751
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/04/14 19:01:47 (permalink)
Copying the floppy to CD, etc. would only be a backup measure. The files would have to be copied back to a floppy for installation or recovery of the program, because the setup routine searches for files on drive a:. I tried running setup from a CD backup once, and got error messages to the effect of, "Can't find files on drive a:"

I would really hope that we didn't make the installers drive letter dependent (but I mean really who knows the 80's were crazy times).  If you copy the files onto a USB drive and don't have a floppy or a drive at all you can probably 'hack around' it by changing your drive mapping so the USB drive is A

Willy Jones 
Cakewalk
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2011/04/14 19:51:10 (permalink)
Wow - talk about service!

great deal, Willy!  thanks for chiming in!  and that's interesting that you're looking at making older products available as downloads!  that would make a lot of previous customers happy  who have broken their disks or lost them or whatever.
post edited by Beagle - 2011/04/14 19:52:49

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
joepicker
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2012/12/11 14:17:27 (permalink)
I know this is an old thread, but I just joined the Forum after 10 years of using Cakewalk.  I have Home Studio XL 2002.  I just tried to install it on my new laptop with Windows 7, and it hangs up during the launch.  I assume this version is too old and has the same problems as Cakewalk 3.01 with Windows 7? Can someone tell me if I definitely need to upgrade to a newer Cakewalk version?  Thanks. - joepicker

planetearth

Unfortunately, you probably can't get it to work with Windows 7, especially the 64-bit version. There are just too many things that have changed between Cakewalk 3 and Windows 7.

Windows XP was a lot more forgiving of 16-bit applications, and had relatively lax security. Windows 7 (64-bit) doesn't allow 16-bit applications, and has ridiculously severe security "features". These "features" will block many parts of Cakewalk from working properly.

Sorry about that.

daveny5

Windows 7 (64-bit) doesn't allow 16-bit applications, and has ridiculously severe security "features".

If you must run that ancient program, get Windows 7 Professional. It has a virtual XP environment, IF your computer can handle it. Its time for you to upgrade to a newer version of Cakewalk. You're missing out a lot trying to use Cakewalk 3. Otherwise, stick with XP.

centralbpm
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2013/01/08 18:28:23 (permalink)
Hello guys,
Happy New year!

I too miss the old Cakewalk 3.01 - such a great program - i also don't have any need for the audio capabilities of todays software.
I have recently moved to Win7 64 and... oh boy... do i miss the old Cakewalk. I am willing to pay for a retrofit of 3.01 to work on win7 64bit.
I hope Cakewalk would make an anniversary CW 3.01 version release for win764 - next year! It's been 20 years guys, and 3.01 still has what we need.

Kindest Regards,

Andrew.
DanZ
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2013/12/25 09:25:20 (permalink)
kitewiper
Hi there,

Im glad to tell U that i just tested the Cakewalk 3.01 on a PC running Windows 7 32-bit version. And everything worked perfect!

I have tested on a 64-bit system also, and that didn't work.

Kind regards

Pvk.

Hi everybody, and Happy Holidays to all.

Kitewiper, thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that CW3.01 will work under Win7, specially since I've read news that Microsoft will stop supporting WinXP some time in 2014.

Still, I want to again add my voice here to the apparent minority of CW3.01 users who long for some sort of retrofit that will allow us to continue using an old but not so tired workhorse of a program. To repeat myself, I would gladly pay a reasonable fee for a new copy of CW3.01 that is guaranteed to work on OS's from Win7 forward.

Best wishes to all,

DanZ
post edited by DanZ - 2013/12/25 09:27:21
artmat
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/01/20 08:07:18 (permalink)
I've been a Cakewalk user since the time 12-Tone Systems had only a 1-horse engine. I still have my original 5-1/2 inch floppy installation disk. I currently use Cakewalk 3.01 with Windows XP-Pro in a big way and for me, it runs perfectly fine on that OS.

I'd love to see the company make an effort to address the requests of many of its loyal long-term users by updating the original CW3.01 so that it operates on Win7-64/32 and Win8 while keeping its original design and layout in tact as much as possible. (I love the dots....  etc) My Cakewalk 9 Pro Audio works fine on Win7-64 but CW3.01 is still my favorite program and I dearly miss having it on my Win7-64 machine. 

I'd also be very happy to pay a reasonable price for an updated version of the old CW3.01 that works on Win7-64.

ArtMat
post edited by artmat - 2014/01/24 17:18:14
tpaparsons
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/01/24 15:14:01 (permalink)
I'm just opening up my QuickShot MIDI Composer again (after many years) but I must have thrown away the CakeWalk Home Studio 3.01 software that come with it when I cleaned out my old hardware and software a few months ago (I knew there was a reason I should never throw anything away!).
Would CakeWalk be willing to share that old software with me, or not object if a forum member does so ?  I have drives for all formats 5.25" (360k and 1.2m) and 3.5" (360k, 720k and 1.44m), but download would probably be easiest for all.  I'm the original owner (from new) of the QuickShot MIDI Composer which came with CakeWalk Home Studio 3.01.
Back in April 2011 Willy Jones mentioned that CakeWalk was "looking at ways to re-distribute some of our older products as downloads".
Be reassured that I won't need any support ... I have working computers back to the 286/386 versions, and operating systems including Windows 3 and up.
Many thanks !
artmat
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/01/24 18:45:40 (permalink)
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]

I would really hope that we didn't make the installers drive letter dependent (but I mean really who knows the 80's were crazy times).  If you copy the files onto a USB drive and don't have a floppy or a drive at all you can probably 'hack around' it by changing your drive mapping so the USB drive is A

I have two WinXP machines and they both have physical A drives. Since CW3.01 installed and works fine on both XP computers, I have no reason to doubt that it will work fine in Win7's XP mode. However! The problem there is that it will not install via the virtual environment under which the XP mode operates. Trust me! I've tried it a few times. An error message appears during the installation process indicating that the installer has a problem with the virtual A-drive.

The best scenario for me and lots of other 64-bit'ers would be to have a version installs and works on Win7-64.  But, if producing a 64-bit compatible version of the original CW3.01 software is completely out of the question, then implementing a different installation routine or installer that does not require the presence of a physical A-drive seems like a reasonable second request option which, if granted, would help us Win7 users out tremendously! Then we could, at least, install it and use it in the 32-bit environment of Win7's Virtual XP Mode.

In addition to being happy to pay a reasonable price for your time and efforts to roll out a 2014 version of the classic CW3.01 software with an installer that is not drive letter dependent, a stipulation that Cakewalk would not provide any support for the classic version would be happily accepted too. After all, we, as a community of users making this request, aren't neophytes.

What say you Cakewalk? Would you reopen the case to take another look at it and give it some more thought?

Thanks.    

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/01/25 23:17:51 (permalink)
USB floppy drives ....cheap... the obvious solution. We have one at work just for this reason, old applications for hardware that came on floppy in the mid 2000's still. 

http://www.newegg.ca/Prod...HVl4i:20140126041851:s
post edited by Cactus Music - 2014/01/25 23:20:00

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/01/27 02:22:23 (permalink)
Why can't I get WordStar to work on Linux. I wish to run it on Linux because of windows weak security ;) I also have it on 5.25 inch floppy, will MicroPro rerelease this as I find myself unable to copy the application over to my hard drive. Oh sorry forgot to put this in plural to make it sound that more than 2 people want this :)

Thanks.

EDIT opps sorry wrong forums ;)

UPDATE Sorry but what you are asking is ridiculous as many have suggested. How much would you pay for an old version of Cake? $200 or are you hoping for bargain bucket prices? And only about 10 people might want this max, and maybe 1 person if it was $200. You are better off pleading for the source code to become free so that some generous soul may update the app. Or better still buy X3, where many "loyal customers" are at.
post edited by CakeAlexS - 2014/01/27 02:41:50

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/01/30 06:57:17 (permalink)
>>you can probably 'hack around' it by changing your drive mapping so the USB drive is A<<

You can do this from Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. Right click the drive and change the letter to A.  Tho I'm not sure you will need to do that if the files are copied correctly.

It's been years since I've done it but I think it's possible to burn a CD from a floppy and still be able to install from it.
Paul Ewing
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/08/11 05:32:36 (permalink)
I paid $500.00 Australian dollars for my Cakewalk Pro Ver 3.0 on floppy disk.
I paid for and upgraded to Ver 5 & 9.
Cake 3 was still the best for my purposes.  I am one of those musicians who can actually program a MIDI file.
Pro 3 is all i need.
My floppy and backup disks are stuffed.
The USB drive I bought only wants to re-format the floppies (I think it has issues - won't read any floppies I have).
I downloaded a so called version 3 from the net and all it wants to do is read from a:drive.
I would gladly pay a small amount to have Pro 3 bootable from CD preferably, and also USB.
Ya See, I am going so far back I want to be able to use my MIDI interface that came with Showplay 2 (Pride corp).
I want to use Cake 3.0 on an XP notebook running Virtual pc and a stable version of win 98 SE.
How backward am I????  I paid a lot of money for all this software/hardware and it worked fine till the 'World' wanted me to update all the time.  This stuff worked for me all those years ago and I want to be able to use it all again.
Paul Ewing.
Pissed off Australian Midi file programmer and musician.
lawp
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re:CakeWalk 3.01 Windows 7 2014/08/11 10:36:06 (permalink)
did you try sourcing an equally ancient pc/laptop? ya never know...

sstteerreeoo ffllllaanngge
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1