Cakewalk 6 question

Author
jason216
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 58
2014/03/24 11:56:35 (permalink)

Cakewalk 6 question

Hi, glad to be here,
I am a longtime cakewalk/sonar user (started with the dos 3.1 version lol) anyway. I am doing a live gig and want to use the midi sequences I've created in sonar x2 on stage with a laptop. I am not transferring any audio just the midi info.
I have 2 questions
1. I want to do this as cheaply as possible since I'm only using the program to play my midi tracks live (only midi out to my keyboard)...sooo I need to know the most inexpensive solution...with that said...I saw creator 6 for like $19.00 in the cakewalk store...will that program let me transfer my sonar x2 files into creator 6 (the $19 version) so I can just play them live?...if not, what is next best, affordable solution?
2. Is there a piece outboard of gear I can use to simply transfer the midi info or do I need a full blown outboard conversion box even though no audio will be sent or recorded with this setup? (I have a nice focusrite but don't want to break it out of my studio every time I work live)  

Thank you all very much
Jason216

6 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Cakewalk 6 question 2014/03/24 12:08:15 (permalink)
    The cheapest way would be to install X2 on the laptop. There are no licensing issues because only one copy of X2 will be used at  a time.

You may be able to get away with the internal sound card in the laptop for audio playback using soft synths otherwise you will need at least a USB to MIDI connection to get the MIDI data out of the laptop a hardware synth or sound module.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Cakewalk 6 question 2014/03/24 12:54:54 (permalink)
    Yes.... use the X2 software you already have. The only thing additional you need is the interface to get the midi out of the laptop.  BUT...even better..... If the laptop and the keyboard both have a USB port, a simple USB cable should work nicely. Connect them and they should be able to communicate over that simple cable.... no interface needed.

I don't work with midi going out of the computer, it's normally going in..... but if it's going out to just one device...your midi  keyboard, the USB cable should be just fine.

On the other hand, if you want to get fancy, and, if you have a series of midi modules for various instruments, then you probably would want to use the normal 5 pin din midi cables with an interface and set everything up on unique channels and stream the midi data in that manner.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jason216
    Re: Cakewalk 6 question 2014/03/24 15:26:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for that info...I appreciate it...and I get the use my sonar on my laptop but....if that's not able to happen for what ever reason ...will the $19 version (cakewalk 6, or the next cheapest version if that doesn't work) do what I'm looking for... will that version take previously constructed midi work from sonar x2 and send info to my keyboard
    Thanks for your patience
    Jason216
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Cakewalk 6 question 2014/03/24 16:44:11 (permalink)
    As MIDI is MIDI in any software, yes, it will work. I assume you're talking about Music Creator? If the use really is only sending MIDI to your keyboard in live situations then, installing X2 on your laptop would surely be an overkill. Any basic program supporting MIDI should do. You just need to save the MIDI as mid-files, not as cwp-files.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Cakewalk 6 question 2014/03/25 08:11:36 (permalink)
    Yes.... the projects created in just about any version of Cakewalk will generally work just fine played back on any other version of Cakewalk.

You might see a warning about not having the same plugs and things might not play...... but I have found that every time I have opened a project created on a different version, including some really old ones..... they all opened and ran just fine.

Cake is forwards and backwards compatible.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jason216
    Re: Cakewalk 6 question 2014/03/26 15:18:02 (permalink)
    Thank you all your help on this. I really appreciate it and you solved this problem...now on the 1 more lol
    Jason216
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1