Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
legobeats
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/28 11:59:26 (permalink)
Well, it's kind of history repeating. Does anybody remember Emagic? And what happened to the Logic PC users? O.K., that was not really similar - but unfair to the users though. And remember what happened to Steinberg through the Pinnacle-Yamaha-odyssey. Of course they all ensured their users that nothing would go worse and how we all would benefit from the money those big players will pump into Steinberg. But in the end they fired many developers, led the support to the grave (as we say in Germany...), lost their technical leadership in the DAW market. Sorry Cakewalk for being suspicious but I just jumped in from Cubase. So let's wait and see what the future really brings und decide where to spend our money then.

But nevertheless I wish everybody at Cakewalk all the best! Really hope you all keep your jobs and they let you do great work in the future!!!

Wolfgang
Gerry
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 861
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/28 12:23:38 (permalink)
Don't worry even Gibson the bastian of American Guitar manufacturing is at it:-

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Gibson%20Guitar%20and%20TC%20Group%20to/

Good things or bad things, what is for sure nobody is who is employed by either is going to say its bad, well not if they want to keep their job LOL Cake and Roland say its great, Gibson and TC Group say its great. Bottom line time will tell so until then all we an do is give them the benefit of the doubt.

Gerry
post edited by Gerry - 2008/01/28 12:39:20

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
http://www.gerrycooper.com/

Leonard
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 309
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/28 12:36:48 (permalink)
Thanks, Cake. There's no hint of weakness or sense of subjugation in your message. That is most refreshing. Clearly, you are still your own entity.

I've been using Cakewalk software alongside Roland hardware for many years. I am a mere entry level consumer, a home hobbyist with modest discretionary income. You don't hear much from us types on this forum, yet I suspect we home-hobbyists constitute the majority of your software sales.
You guys, both you, Cakewalk AND Roland, made home recording possible for folks like me. I am VERY grateful for to both of you. While you have your eyes focused on big fish, I hope that in your alliance you have something in mind for us little fish, as well. The future of home recording looks bright; I do share your enthusiasm. I just hope folks like me aren't priced out of participating in it. All the best to both of you; Leonard

Sonar X 3 Pro, Sweetwater Creation Station 400 -i7 2600, Steinberg MR816x w/Focusrite Octopre mkII adat'ed in
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/28 14:15:12 (permalink)
The Famous line in the star wars trilogy was 'we need more time'.

Time to develop bug free software. I hope this is high on the agenda! Hopefully with more developers. those atleast who want to prove themselves and have fun developing software. To me this is all important. I thought you wuols have been moving to a bigger office but maybe space is not a significant for cake at Boston. Marketing, well lets hope the UK will finally realise Cakes SONAR potential.

Fixes: lets hope they will be implemented Sonar. How is that TTS-1 Bug fix coming along you know that one where you save drums and it does not save!!! yeah before you start I did fill out the forms. STILL no answer!

Anyway, if this gives you an opportunity to fulfill new ideas then its all good. If it allows for better time frames, then that is a bonus!

K sarar Sarar!!! (please...its not a spelling B)
Stevie B
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/28 14:34:07 (permalink)
You are right about writing manuals at least cakewalk gives you tutorials to help walk you through the material. Im a Roland user started on a VS-880 went to a 1680 and upgraded to the 1880. Great stuff! There effects are great we will benefit from that, Own the BOSS GT PRO its like having all of boss effects in one box. They have really lush reverbs and great delays compressers arent to bad either. Its going to be like having your cake and eat it too! we will all benefit! as long as cakewalk does the software programing. cakewalk needs to stay cakewalk!
AdamFH
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 930
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/28 14:56:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Marketing [Cakewalk]

Hey everyone,

I want to reiterate what Brandon was saying. This is a wonderful development for Cakewalk. Seriously, everyone here is psyched about the news, especially the long-time employees

We are staying in Boston. We will continue to develop stand alone software products as well as joint hardware and software products. We are not cutting our customer service or support. There are not going to be layoffs, especially of developers. As good a job as I think I am doing, I am quite certain that Roland's primary interest was NOT to acquire the marketing dept. We understand software much better than they do, so it was in their best interest to work more closely with us. If anything we will be adding people to our staff this year.

And all this speculation about us being financially on the ropes was pure hogwash. We maintained or gained market share against our competitors who were much better funded than we were. The music products industry was down 9% overall, yet we were profitable last year.

The truth is as Greg stated it. We've been working closely with Roland for years. As a result we've had some ideas, that Cakewalk could not do on our own. The funding Roland is providing will allow us to create and market some new joint products. It's going to be exciting stuff.

The people I know who work for Roland are some of the best people I know in the industry. They really care about music and musicians, and they are all happy to work for Roland. They are a great company with great products and I am happy we are associated with them. I think this is going to be my best year I have ever worked for Cakewalk, and I have been with the company since 1995.

Please let us know if you have any other concerns. We'll do our best to answer what we can.

Thanks,

Carl

So I guess since Roland develops keyboards, and other gadgets like so, you guys will be releasing some stuff? If so, I am so buying it. No questions asked. (as long as there are weighted keys of course. )
AJ_0000
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 738
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/28 15:21:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Marketing [Cakewalk]

Hey everyone,

I want to reiterate what Brandon was saying. This is a wonderful development for Cakewalk. Seriously, everyone here is psyched about the news, especially the long-time employees

We are staying in Boston. We will continue to develop stand alone software products as well as joint hardware and software products. We are not cutting our customer service or support. There are not going to be layoffs, especially of developers. As good a job as I think I am doing, I am quite certain that Roland's primary interest was NOT to acquire the marketing dept. We understand software much better than they do, so it was in their best interest to work more closely with us. If anything we will be adding people to our staff this year.

And all this speculation about us being financially on the ropes was pure hogwash. We maintained or gained market share against our competitors who were much better funded than we were. The music products industry was down 9% overall, yet we were profitable last year.

The truth is as Greg stated it. We've been working closely with Roland for years. As a result we've had some ideas, that Cakewalk could not do on our own. The funding Roland is providing will allow us to create and market some new joint products. It's going to be exciting stuff.

The people I know who work for Roland are some of the best people I know in the industry. They really care about music and musicians, and they are all happy to work for Roland. They are a great company with great products and I am happy we are associated with them. I think this is going to be my best year I have ever worked for Cakewalk, and I have been with the company since 1995.

Please let us know if you have any other concerns. We'll do our best to answer what we can.

Thanks,

Carl

Now that's more like it. That's what I wanted to hear. Hopefully it will be proven true.

The stuff that's been announced so far is interesting, but if I can, I'd like to put in a word for what my ideal outcome would be. It's kind of obvious--the development of PC expansion hardware tightly integrated with SONAR. PCI cards that run all of SONAR's bundled effects and VI's--VC-64, the new multiband EQ/Compressor, PerfectSpace, Rapture, Dimension, Boost 11, and so on. Interfaces, control surfaces, the whole nine yards. In other words, for Cakewalk/Roland to directly compete with Pro Tools--to play Microsoft to their Apple. Provide the same functionality at a lower price, aimed at the PC platform.
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/28 17:01:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Gerry

Don't worry even Gibson the bastian of American Guitar manufacturing is at it:-

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Gibson%20Guitar%20and%20TC%20Group%20to/

Good things or bad things, what is for sure nobody is who is employed by either is going to say its bad, well not if they want to keep their job LOL Cake and Roland say its great, Gibson and TC Group say its great. Bottom line time will tell so until then all we an do is give them the benefit of the doubt.

Gerry

Oh freakin' great! There goes the quality of TC stuff if Gibson has anything to say how TC Electronics is run. Gibson's quality has been terribly inconsistent with their guitars for quite a while now. Uneven fretwork is the chief thing seen. It could have been worse - TC (and Cakewalk) could have been bought out by Behringer. Now THERE'S a company that has absolutely no idea of what good quality is. As far as mergers/buyouts go, this one by Roland of CW shou;ld be pretty good. We'll just have to wait and see.

Jack
Qapla!
rchristiejr
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1342
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/28 19:52:24 (permalink)
Fantom G & Sonar!!

RFC JR
Pure Desires~~

PCMS
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/28 20:51:46 (permalink)
Here's something you may find interesting. If you google Roland and Invest the third or fourth entry is Roland invest in Fender. This was back in 2002. We have not seen Fender fall apart, in fact we have seen Roland ready Strats, pedals etc. So if history were to repeat itself then I think the cake is gonna be fine and we may just get some snazzy products.

http://www.enotes.com/music-trades-journals/84399409
dcasey
  • Total Posts : 141
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/29 01:04:23 (permalink)
I can't resist - I have to chime in. I use to work for a small software company; we made some great graphical spreadsheet software, and integrated packages – it was an exciting place to work. Then we were bought by a large database company, with its primary focus being UNIX based database servers. Over the next several years, one really great technology after the other was axed, so we could all work on ill conceived projects that that had no market. Then I went on to work at a very large software company (I won't mention any names) and I watched as smaller companies with great ideas and growing market share were gobbled up by the aforementioned large company; lots of people lost their jobs, products were either assimilated (reduced in scope and scale, and shoe horned into existing products) or killed off all together. I’ve seen this time and time again.

Don't get me wrong, I own a bunch of Roland stuff; the 1st guitar synth (GR-1), a VG-8, GI-20 etc., but my concern is that the folks in power positions at the parent company almost always win out. I curse my Tascam FW-1884 almost daily, but I don't want to be forced to scrape together money to buy a new fangled control surface from Roland that together with Sonar suddenly becomes the other Pro Tools. I have a lot of time and money tied up in Cakewalk products, and I really don't want to see development resources pulled from Sonar to work on Roland centric products that I will likely never own. If this is indeed a buyout, then there will be an effort to "streamline" the companies, which means some of the Cakewalk folks we have all come to love will be headed elsewhere. And you better believe that the days of a new version of Sonar every year will cease. Furthermore, start looking at the Cakewalk products that will likely land on the chopping block. I’m not making this up – it just happens. Could things happen differently, and Cakewalk loyalists reap the benefits of new and exciting integrated products – possibly; I certainly hope so.

I'm sorry this sounds so negative; it's based on my own observations as a member of the software industry for over 25 years. I hope I'm totally wrong. I prefer to eat my crow grilled, with a hint of lemon, garlic, and pepper.

From a concerned Cakewalk customer for over 12 years – someone please cheer me up!

DAW: i7920, 9GB, Win7 x64 / Presonus Firestudio Project (2), Firestudio Tube, Monitor Station, Faderport, Sceptre S8's/ Frontier Design Tranzport / M-Audio Midisport 4x4 / Roland GR-55, GI-20, VG-8 / Novation 25 SL MKII / Alesis 720 DSP / Sonar X3 PE / Vienna Ensemble Pro / Voxengo / iZotope / NI / IK / eieio

VSTi Server 1: AMD FX-8350, 16GB, Win7 x64 / Komplete / Vienna Ensemble Pro

VSTi Server 2: AMD A6-3670K, 16GB, Win 7 x64 / Echo Gina24 / Vienna Ensemble Pro 

www.soundcloud.com/dannycasey 
AlesisM51
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 623
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/29 01:05:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Stevie B

You are right about writing manuals at least cakewalk gives you tutorials to help walk you through the material.

Not only that they're also rather well written IMO. Not that anyone needs further examples but I was just at Asus' company website looking for a manual for a somewhat older motherboard and on the support page, saw this description of I'm not exactly sure what support service option:

Become part of ASUS member to enjoy much more surprising warm services
(sic)

I've been using their motherboards since the late 1990s and plan on continuing to do so but it would still be a good idea in my opinion if they hired someone to take care of that.

Richard

auricle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 492
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/29 03:41:19 (permalink)
I don't know, a surprising warm service makes me want to buy an Asus board!!
TaoMannaDon
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/29 07:21:22 (permalink)
deleted by author: too off-topic.
post edited by TaoManna Don - 2008/01/29 07:26:47
ChristopherM
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1921
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/29 08:31:28 (permalink)
This is a wonderful development for Cakewalk. Seriously, everyone here is psyched about the news, especially the long-time employees

The truth is as Greg stated it.
With all due respect to any of the CW "old guard" none of you is now in a position to pronounce confidently about the future. Roland is the majority shareholder so it has control. You will be around until either your usefulness to the corporation drops below the costs of keeping you (and the new guard plucks up the courage to "let you go") or you get frustrated by the difficulties of having a boss half-way around the globe (it gets wearing when you have to join video conferences at 2:00am your time, just when your boss is finishing lunch) and the burden of complying with corporate policies, initiatives, and information-gathering sorties that you neither understand nor have time to deal with. Something that you earlier would have done because it is "the right thing to do" you now can't do, because someone in corporate HQ has decided that all such decisions need to be made there - but they don't have the time or the specific knowledge to make the decision, so it doesn't get made and sclerosis sets in. These fracture points may be reached in weeks or years, but AFAICS they are always reached at some time.

Is my view of corporate real-politik jaundiced? Yes, but that doesn't make it invalid. And, of course, I don't want anything bad to happen to anyone at CW ... I like CW and its distinctive house-style and I shall be just as sad to see it go as many others in this forum. Roland may be a hugely enlightened corporation for all I know - but, if so, it is a rarity.
AJ_0000
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/29 09:16:23 (permalink)
I think there are reasons not to assume that the worst case scenario will play out. The real question is, how much value does Roland place on Cakewalk? And the answer is probably quite a bit as of now. If Roland's goal is to augment its situation by joining with a reliable software entity, then it can be assumed they will be looking to Cakewalk for software expertise, rather than simply firing everybody and trying to cash in on what they've already developed. They will have an incentive to keep things running smoothly at Cakewalk, both because of their investment, and because of the added value they're looking for in the future. It is valid to worry about how the two organizations will deal with each other. There is always room for peril in that regard. However, to assume that Roland is stepping in there looking to bigfoot everybody at Cakewalk is over-reaction. There is no benefit to Roland in doing that.
ChristopherM
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/29 10:04:34 (permalink)
Your analysis is very logical and rational. However, history shows that corporate acquisitions and their aftermath are rarely ruled by logic and corporations cannot be relied upon to act rationally. I have lived through many such scenarios and they are characterised by many things in addition to logic and rational behaviour. Most have not been as successful as was expected (which is not to say that they have all been unsuccessful). Politics; greed; vanity; ignorance; the need to demonstrate early success; lack of a robust strategic justification for the alliance; cultural misunderstandings; misjudgement of customer reactions; inability to build trust between the partners; energy diverted into business process change and re-organisation; energy diverted out of innovation and market development; and many other factors can play into the process (not all with beneficial results!)
Paul G
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2334
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/29 10:23:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dcasey
I prefer to eat my crow grilled, with a hint of lemon, garlic, and pepper.
When eating crow, I wasn't aware that you were allowed to specify a recipe.

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Paul Robert Glaser
The Brothers Glaser
SoundClick
Jon Bryson
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 377
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/29 10:24:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rchristiejr

Fantom G & Sonar!!

Sign me up! My favorite keyboard keyboard manufacturer teaming up with my favorite audio app.

Could be the next Reese's Peanut Butter cups.

Jon
DaveR
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 288
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/29 10:56:25 (permalink)
Speculation on this merger is silly.

History has numerous examples of bigger companies acquiring smaller companies and making it successful. Just because a few companies screwed things up doesn't mean Roland will do the same thing here.

Fact is, Cakewalk and Roland have collaborated for a long time now and Roland is stepping up to the plate with more dough.

Time will tell whether Roland will back off and let Cakewalk do its thing. If they are smart, they will keep the team together and allow them to grow organically. If they're not so smart they will impose a big company mentality and smother innovation.

Seems to me Roland is a pretty smart company and won't micromanage Greg and his team. If this holds true then increased funding and market share can only make SONAR a better product.

I don't quite understand what all the fuss is about. Shouldn't we be congratulating Cakewalk here?
AcousticTones
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 191
What I would LOVE to see!!! 2008/01/29 10:56:45 (permalink)
I would love to see something like the Rolands VS units that both runs Sonar (must be upgradable so that it can take on new version of Sonar as they come out) AND works as a digital mixer AND sound card (just like the Digi003).

That would give us a KILLER stand alone unit, killer sound card, and incredible control surface.

Now that's something I would save up for and be sure to make the center of my studio.
Geokauf
  • Total Posts : 912
RE: What I would LOVE to see!!! 2008/01/29 11:10:58 (permalink)
To the Topic

Hello,

First I would like to direct you to this topic where there are 500+ posts and 15K+ views. You are re-hashing the subject - nothing new in your posts.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tt.asp?forumid=5

Others have said:

Yes, Cakewalk will still be creating software (hopefully), the point is that they now will be getting their marching orders from people who, when push comes to shove, have other and bigger priorities.

I have been in pretty much this exact situation before.

For me, the flaw in this type of argument (which has been made here by many) is that this discussion is NOT about you. It's about the Cakewalk Company's business combination with Roland. (It seems many who post here are more interested in testifying - "I, my, mine"). Your personal experience in your employment is not related to anything other than your personal life. It certainly does not give you any special insight that would make your discussion more valid than common speculative pub talk. Another flaw in this type of discussion - the negativity and predictions of doom and gloom. It's much easier to predict demise than to predict success.

No matter what happens in the future with Cakewalk/Roland my version of 5.2PE will remain unchanged and the same forever and ever. The worst case scenario going forward is that I have a studio capable of 50+ tracks laden with heavy plugs and maybe as much as 100 tracks with judicious bouncing and freezing. No one is forcing you to use or continue to use the product.

If it happens, it happens and there's nothing your pronouncements or "predictions" will change. Your posts are only descriptions of things that have happened to you and idle guessing, you haven't predicted anything. The only relationship that Sonar users enjoy is that of software customer. We are not the company's partners, friends, special colleagues or business confidants.

So use and enjoy your software and DAW rig for what it can do today not what it might be able to do tomorrow.

GK
post edited by Geokauf - 2008/01/29 11:26:22
ChristopherM
RE: What I would LOVE to see!!! 2008/01/29 11:18:06 (permalink)
nothing new in your posts.
... nor yours! So why did you give in to the temptation to join us?
KevinD
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 491
RE: What I would LOVE to see!!! 2008/01/29 11:24:34 (permalink)
There's a TON of buy-outs that happen daily that companies don't even publish .... probably to stop threads like this one.......

Just remember - Adobe + Macromedia = Goodness

Roland + Cakewalk = Larger market share, better for everyone hardware and software joined at the hip.

Sonar 6.2.1
BFD Drums v1.5.45 Q
Windows XP SP2
AMD 64 3400+
2 GB DC RAM 2.0cas
2x 300 GB SATAIII
Schecter Basses
Cold Bud Lights
stratcat33511
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3636
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/29 12:14:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dappa1

The Famous line in the !

K sarar Sarar!!! (please...its not a spelling B)

Que Sera Sera

Whatever will be will be

My Edirol by Roland ROCKS!
SO do my Boss pedals!
and SONAR6 is alright with me too, I guess

Better for Cakewalk - better for you
Now get on the TTS1 and V Vocal enhancements
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/29 12:23:35 (permalink)
Or as Stratman failed to continue...
The future's not ours to see
Que Sera, sera

BTW - did you think Doris Day was kind a hot in that movie? The Man Who Knew Too Much?
And Boss Pedals are nice!

Fact is, most people think they know something about economics or about mergers or investments. I work in that business and find 75% of people (not just here) grossly misinformed.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
AdamFH
  • Total Posts : 930
RE: What I would LOVE to see!!! 2008/01/29 13:18:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KevinD

There's a TON of buy-outs that happen daily that companies don't even publish .... probably to stop threads like this one.......

Just remember - Adobe + Macromedia = Goodness

Roland + Cakewalk = Larger market share, better for everyone hardware and software joined at the hip.

Macromedia would be an awesomer name than Adobe.
Geokauf
  • Total Posts : 912
RE: What I would LOVE to see!!! 2008/01/29 13:47:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ChristopherM

nothing new in your posts.
... nor yours! So why did you give in to the temptation to join us?

Hello,

Actually, it is you who has joined. My previous post is a copy of my post from the second page of this topic before you "joined." How come you didn't notice the post the first time around? Not reading the whole topic?

GK
AJ_0000
RE: What I would LOVE to see!!! 2008/01/29 14:02:19 (permalink)
It's also important to remember that the music business is slightly different from most other industries. There tends to be a greater appreciation for the importance of creativity and freedom. I'm not necessarily saying Roland is the ultimate company in that regard, but in general, music companies recognize the perils of being too ruthlessly profit-driven. They have to create products that will sell to creative people. If they don't cater to the customers they'll get a bad reputation, and eventually they'll be toast.
AlesisM51
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 623
RE: Cakewalk By Roland - It Has Begun!!! 2008/01/29 14:17:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: auricle

I don't know, a surprising warm service makes me want to buy an Asus board!!

So maybe they know what they're doing after all...

Richard
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1