Helpful ReplyCakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Saxon1066
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 619
2018/03/23 00:30:15 (permalink)

Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips?

Hey, folks.  I've been messing around with the Concrete Limiter in the ProChannel recently (for the first time, though I've had it for years).

I wonder if anyone finds it useful/effective?  I've been crunching my mixes with it lately.  Seems to work nicely, but I have to keep it a bit subtle.  Since I am working with dense rock mixes with distorted guitars, I find too low a threshold brings out too much of the guitar distortion.

Is it advisable to use this limiter at all prior to mastering? 
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/23 01:50:33 (permalink)
Concrete Limiter is a pretty decent limiter considering it has so few buttons.
Personally, I wouldn't use it as a mastering limiter, I find it's not that sophisticated.
For me, it's more of a basic channel limiter, and many of my mixes from the past few years have it on the drum bus, but used fairly lightly / moderately. It is certainly easy to dial into a channel quickly, at least that's how I've used it.
Sounds like you've also found if it is pushed too hard, results are not so pleasing (at least when applied on an entire mix)

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Saxon1066
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/23 04:27:23 (permalink)
noynekker

Sounds like you've also found if it is pushed too hard, results are not so pleasing (at least when applied on an entire mix)

Yes, exactly.  But when I'm giving "clients" a quick end-of-session mix, it levels things up a bit on the Master Bus.
Gmichaelhall
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/23 05:57:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Saxon1066 2018/03/23 08:10:24
Personally, I find it to be one of the worst brickwall limiters to put anywhere your master bus. I'm not sure who built this for Sonar but it is among the last limiters I would use for any purpose actually. It's not a nice sounding plugin at any setting, imo.
Saxon1066
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/23 08:11:40 (permalink)
Haha.  Yeah, I can hear you on that.  I've been skeptical about using it on a final product.
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/23 08:57:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Saxon1066 2018/03/23 10:31:22
I've found Concrete Limiter to be very nice "Correction Tool" and very musical sounding for mild gain stage purposes for instruments getting lost in the mix. It's ill suited for being used as a sound effects plugin. Only time I would use it on an output buss it to compliment or further subtly tweak certain buss compression settings that can't be properly achieved with the compressor's "make up gain".
And of course it's great for just taming the occasional random peak that pushes the meter into the red. I really like the fact that it's simple because it's made to do a simple job, limit overloading peaks without changing dynamics or coloration caused by changing attack and release times.

Emphasis on mild because, because just like compressors, when used correctly, your not actually supposed to hear or notice them working.
When used incorrectly, as they all too often are as  a weapon of choice for those waging the loudness wars, you are completely crunching the dynamic range where the normally lowest sounds, are raised to equal volume level of the normally highest sounds. there's really no way to control noise and distortion. 
all brick wall limiters when pushed, have a nasty side effect of raising unwanted noises that would stay under the noise floor level, which would not other wise be heard, such as guitar hum and or RF leakage caused by cheap or faulty cables, thumps, vibrations and rumbles transmitted from the floor or desk from mic stands.

In other words, normally you wouldn't hear these noises, such as guitar cable hum until the guitar stops playing because the notes and chords being played are so much louder than the hum.
 But whack it hard with brick wall limiter, the loudest notes played on the guitar are limited to the highest point set on the limiter, which the quietest sounds (hum/RF/distortion) are push up and increased up to the same level.
post edited by Steev - 2018/03/23 09:29:54

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/23 09:21:10 (permalink)
I think it is perfectly fine on the master bus. It is a limiter. Yes it has only controls it needs to do the job. Internally it is very sophisticated. It does have a look ahead buffer.  Also its pretty neutral. The only reason I can think of for some of the comments is its being pushed way to far.  I use it to prevent clipping on the odd clip. If it is being used to maximize output it may not be the best choice.  
post edited by John - 2018/03/23 10:30:33

Best
John
Steev
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/23 10:19:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Saxon1066 2018/03/23 10:31:55
For dense rock mixes with distorted guitars I highly recommend using the Cakewalk Multiband Compressor on the Master Buss, and if it needs further limiting, the Cakewalk Adaptive Limiter is superb for that and it's spectrum analyzer gives great visual feedback of what gets limited, how much, and what gets increased.

Once you get the overall mix sound where you like, the Cakewalk LP (linier phase) EQ can really smooth it out, and polish it up.
 These plugins are all typically designed to be used for fine tuning mastering. Although you can use them on tracks I don't advise that because they are very computer resource intensive processing, and really hit your CPU heavy, and are typically the greatest cause of increasing recording and mixing latency.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/23 10:25:44 (permalink)
There is better out there, but the Concrete limiter is a pretty nice little plug in.
I particularly liked that it was a PC module.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Saxon1066
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/23 10:34:28 (permalink)
Steev
For dense rock mixes with distorted guitars I highly recommend using the Cakewalk Multiband Compressor on the Master Buss, and if it needs further limiting, the Cakewalk Adaptive Limiter is superb for that and it's spectrum analyzer gives great visual feedback of what gets limited, how much, and what gets increased.

Once you get the overall mix sound where you like, the Cakewalk LP (linier phase) EQ can really smooth it out, and polish it up.
 These plugins are all typically designed to be used for fine tuning mastering. Although you can use them on tracks I don't advise that because they are very computer resource intensive processing, and really hit your CPU heavy, and are typically the greatest cause of increasing recording and mixing latency.

I appreciate the advice, Steev!
John
Forum Host
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/23 11:00:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2018/03/23 11:19:21
If you want to hear poor limiter try Boost 11. The Spinal Tap plugin.  Yes I know there are fans of it. 

Best
John
Steev
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/23 14:03:10 (permalink)
chuckebaby
There is better out there, but the Concrete limiter is a pretty nice little plug in.
I particularly liked that it was a PC module.

Being a PC module is what makes Concrete Limiter stand out above the rest as far as I'm concerned. Sure there are better out there for many purposes and flavors, The CA2A which can be switched to limiter mode comes to mind, but that's kind of getting to the point of comparing apples to oranges.
 Either or used improperly and abused will surely trash your sound quality.
 Concrete Limiter is a very basic easy to use and very clean and nice sounding versatile gain stage module even when it's not even being used for limiting at all.

I actually prefer to use it instead of cranking up the input gain (trim) of the channel in many situations, such as where I can get a great over all comfortable gain balance where there is only one or two peaks that will made the channel gain indicator flash red, than above 0.0+db digital clipping and distortion is getting through on the track, and even though you may not notice it right away during a mixing session it could cause unnecessary complications and problems during final treatment in the buss. That can kind of like throwing a curve ball at you master buss compressor's attack and release settings, and or a knuckle ball at a reverb buss's predelay and early reflection settings.
But Concrete Limiter's input gain can be increased while the output level can be set lower than 0.0 db so it can be set let everything pass through except for just the highest peaks, just make a blip on Concrete Limiter's meter, indicating the limiting threshold has been met and absorbed with no digital clipping occurring past output, and passing though a clean signal with no further compression allowing for maximum dynamic range.

John
If you want to hear poor limiter try Boost 11. The Spinal Tap plugin.  Yes I know there are fans of it. 

Hee, hee, The Spinal Tap plugin, great analogy John. Never thought of it quite that way, but now it's been burned into my brain, LoL
I am a bit of a fan of Boost 11, I always referred to it as a "Stomp Box Grade" plugin that "Clashes" nicely with Punk.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

Rasure
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/23 14:13:30 (permalink)
When in Sonar I always use it on all my tracks, the last insert on the ProChannel, but not necessarily for limiting. I work in track view all the time and the concrete limiter is great for using as a gain control for mixing and of course you have the limiting function in the event it does go over. 

[ASUS Z97-K 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4590]
[16 Gig Ram]
[NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti 1920 X 1080]
[Windows 10 Pro x64]
[Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime]
[Studio One 4 Pro]
[Notion 6]
[Waves Mercury + Abbey Road & SSL Collection V10]
[Mackie Onyx 400f]

YouTube | 10% Off Waves | Rasuresphere II Omnisphere Library & Midi Stems
cliffr
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 539
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 02:31:16 (permalink)
I find all this talk of using the concrete limiter as a "Gain Control" quite puzzling.

It's not a gain control, it doesn't have any "Input Gain" control, it's a "Threshold Control" and as you change the "Threshold", it's adjusting the amount of compression. Nothing to do with gain, it's compression you're getting.

i7-950 24 GB, GTX 580, W7/64 Ultimate, Sonar Platinum, Alesis MasterControl, KRK Rokit RP8g2s
Some Real piano, basses, and guitars, Komplete 8Ultimate, Ibanez guitars, MusicLab RG/Strat/LPC, Trilian, Omnisphere, RMX, EWQL SO Platinum, Pianos, Choirs, VOP, Gypsy, Goliath, SD2, MOR, Ra, HS, HB, too many plugs, Midi controllers, and all kinds of weird gadgets
My Soundclick Page 
Rasure
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 03:04:34 (permalink)
cliffr
I find all this talk of using the concrete limiter as a "Gain Control" quite puzzling.

It's not a gain control, it doesn't have any "Input Gain" control, it's a "Threshold Control" and as you change the "Threshold", it's adjusting the amount of compression. Nothing to do with gain, it's compression you're getting.

You only get limiting/compression if you get gain reduction....

Concrete Limiter As A Volume Control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9IBJkQJoj8

[16 Gig Ram]
[Windows 10 Pro x64]
[Studio One 4 Pro]
[Notion 6]
[Mackie Onyx 400f]

cliffr
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 03:25:26 (permalink)
Rasure
cliffr

Interesting, but even in that sense it's only useful as a "pseudo gain control" for relatively low level signals. In reality it is not a gain control at all, I see how you might use it as a "pseudo gain control" for relatively low level signals that have a limited dynamic range.  If your aim is to control the gain, then you can't beat a "Real Gain Control".  You won't get any surprises with a real gain control :-)

The concrete limiter is definitely not a gain control.

i7-950 24 GB, GTX 580, W7/64 Ultimate, Sonar Platinum, Alesis MasterControl, KRK Rokit RP8g2s
Some Real piano, basses, and guitars, Komplete 8Ultimate, Ibanez guitars, MusicLab RG/Strat/LPC, Trilian, Omnisphere, RMX, EWQL SO Platinum, Pianos, Choirs, VOP, Gypsy, Goliath, SD2, MOR, Ra, HS, HB, too many plugs, Midi controllers, and all kinds of weird gadgets
My Soundclick Page 
LJB
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1502
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 08:18:37 (permalink)
I have the (new) Waves L1 and to my ears the Concrete Limiter sounds better, esp in the low end. It's a 64-band compressor if I recall correctly. I use it all the time, though not as a final mastering tool - I have Ozone 8 for that..

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

Steev
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 10:40:12 (permalink)
cliffr
Rasure
cliffr

Interesting, but even in that sense it's only useful as a "pseudo gain control" for relatively low level signals. In reality it is not a gain control at all, I see how you might use it as a "pseudo gain control" for relatively low level signals that have a limited dynamic range.  If your aim is to control the gain, then you can't beat a "Real Gain Control".  You won't get any surprises with a real gain control :-)

AHmmmmmmmmmm, I was talking about using Concreate Limiter as a gain ""STAGE!""
Kind of look at this as one of those cool "Tips & Tricks" methods instead of another endless debate on who's right and who's wrong, then maybe you'll try it, and experience for your self how freak'in COOL it really works!

You may not be able to see the difference in volume, but you can certainly hear it with you ears as you slide the threshold fader down, it continues to raise the volume UP. And believe it or not, the gain will continue to steadily increase until something triggers the specified threshold, and the point of maximum gain staging.
 Oh yeah, anything Pseudo about Concrete Limiter would be classifying it as a Compressor.
That's clearly a novice mistake, as naïve as calling "Normalization" compression.

And there is no reason I've ever found  to increase volume/gain on a signal unless it was weak in the first place. Using a trim pad, or "gain" control as it's labeled in SONAR is actually designed to set level just "below 0 db at your signal peak!" What makes it vitally important to do so, especially with digital recording, being all audio is basically recorded with 1's and 0's it has no noise ceiling, so there's really nothing to stop your volume levels to go off the charts and exceed the dangerous levels.
 And not only that, the more you exceed a mic's maximum trim level (set to below 0 db) the more sensitive the mic gets, the more distorted the channel gets, and also that slight hush of your computer fans starts to turn into a raging wind storm.

And there are times for example when using a "trim" pot to increase gain on an acoustic guitarist playing a very soft passage accidently raps a knuckle on the guitar's sound board which can send your average SPL from -20 db up to +20 db, it is no surprise to me when it blows a driver out of a pair of prosumer headphones at best, or at worse whacks you directly in the ears at around 125db-130db with prograde headphones such as Sennheiser HD 280 Pro closed back noise canceling cans and a Rane HC6 pro headphone console cranked up loud can be painful and certainly make you legally deaf for the rest of the day. Too many overdoses of that does permanent ear damage.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

cliffr
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 12:32:18 (permalink)
Steev
cliffr
Rasure
cliffr

AHmmmmmmmmmm, I was talking about using Concreate Limiter as a gain ""STAGE!""
Kind of look at this as one of those cool "Tips & Tricks" methods instead of another endless debate on who's right and who's wrong, then maybe you'll try it, and experience for your self how freak'in COOL it really works!

You may not be able to see the difference in volume, but you can certainly hear it with you ears as you slide the threshold fader down, it continues to raise the volume UP. And believe it or not, the gain will continue to steadily increase until something triggers the specified threshold, and the point of maximum gain staging.
 Oh yeah, anything Pseudo about Concrete Limiter would be classifying it as a Compressor.
That's clearly a novice mistake, as naïve as calling "Normalization" compression.

And there is no reason I've ever found  to increase volume/gain on a signal unless it was weak in the first place. Using a trim pad, or "gain" control as it's labeled in SONAR is actually designed to set level just "below 0 db at your signal peak!" What makes it vitally important to do so, especially with digital recording, being all audio is basically recorded with 1's and 0's it has no noise ceiling, so there's really nothing to stop your volume levels to go off the charts and exceed the dangerous levels.
 And not only that, the more you exceed a mic's maximum trim level (set to below 0 db) the more sensitive the mic gets, the more distorted the channel gets, and also that slight hush of your computer fans starts to turn into a raging wind storm.

And there are times for example when using a "trim" pot to increase gain on an acoustic guitarist playing a very soft passage accidently raps a knuckle on the guitar's sound board which can send your average SPL from -20 db up to +20 db, it is no surprise to me when it blows a driver out of a pair of prosumer headphones at best, or at worse whacks you directly in the ears at around 125db-130db with prograde headphones such as Sennheiser HD 280 Pro closed back noise canceling cans and a Rane HC6 pro headphone console cranked up loud can be painful and certainly make you legally deaf for the rest of the day. Too many overdoses of that does permanent ear damage.

Well, I didn't classify it as a compressor, nor am I a novice or naive. It's a limiter, and the threshold slider controls the level at which compression begins to kick in.

I said I found calling it a gain control puzzling. Because ... well it's not a gain control.
I understand how you're talking about using it, which may be cool, but doesn't make it a gain or volume control.  Yes you may use it to apply some gain, but there are other effects there, namely limiting and compression, which you are obviously aware of and taking advantage of in the scenarios you describe.

However, to call it a gain or volume control, or use instead of a gain or volume control, it isn't, it's a limiter and functions quite differently. Therefore, to use it as, and call it a volume control or gain control, it's quite correct to call it a "pseudo gain control". I really don't understand why that seems to get such a reaction.

My Soundclick Page 
BlixYZ
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 805
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 14:14:16 (permalink)
boost 11 was bad.
concrete limiter is a great, invisible limiter, but my mixes/masters are already very loud and controlled by the time they get there (via tape saturation and bus compression plugins)
I never add more than 5db when using it.  Usually between 2 and 3, actually.

The concrete limiter catching the remaining transients and dynamics is fine- even for a final master.

James W
BlixYZ Recording Studio
BlixYZ Records

Audient ASP800 thru Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Mackie Control Universal + C4
Yamaha HS50's plus Matching Sub, Tannoy 501a
Blue Baby Bottle, AT 4050, Neumann TLM 103, etc.
UA 610, Focusrite/ART/Neve 2CH.
Windows 10
Steev
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 15:06:35 (permalink)
LJB
I have the (new) Waves L1 and to my ears the Concrete Limiter sounds better, esp in the low end. It's a 64-band compressor if I recall correctly. I use it all the time, though not as a final mastering tool - I have Ozone 8 for that..

I had the old version of Waves L1 as well as L3 which has EQ built into the GUI solving that problem 
 One of my absolute favorite go to Waves mastering plugins is the Waves F6 Adaptive EQ.
 What's so great about the F6 is it only effects the areas at the points where the frequency anomalies occur and leaves the over all broadband EQ curve alone which gives you an over all more constant and predictable sound than a  traditional fixed point EQ even could.
 And yes it can be used on tracks, great for things like killing the boxiness out of close mic acoustic guitars, eliminating PLOSIVES and sibilance from singers who like to grab hold of and eat large condenser mic's, but running too many instances of the F6 will have a serious effect on computer recourses and recording latency, so don't forget to FREEZE all tracks which you use the F6 on.
 It's very much like having Cakewalk Adaptive Limiter built into the MB64 Multiband Compressor in one plugin, plus with a whole lot more functionality and control for zeroing in on just one problem frequency, or separately set and adjust ALL problem frequency band ranges completely independent of each other, each band switchable and assignable to mono, duel mono, stereo, center, and sides.
 It's like a parallel processing matrix with an overhear cam and glass packs, LoL 

But the L1 and L3 to me are really good for focusing on Electronica and Club dance music where there is NEVER any shortage of chest thump'in bass and kick drums going on, they were Waves answer to psycho acoustic processors such as the Aphex Aural Exciter and the BBE SonicMaximizer.
 Used judiciously and sparingly, these were really good at beefing up analog tape recordings, especially for restoring 10 to 20 year old tapes that lost all their high end frequencies over the years to prepare and repair them for mastering for digitizing to high quality .mp3 and CD formats. Waves L1 for harmonic tuning and L3 for tone shaping were my weapons of choice back in the day as great software equivalents to the Aphex Aural Exciter hardware which I still own and use occasionally for live sound reinforcement to give the illusion of having a bass sub when there actually isn't one.
 They really work their magic with time delay in the upper mid to high frequency ranges actually fooling your ears and brain into thinking your speakers or the source of the sound is actually clearer and or more airy then it actually is.
 I remember reading a "white paper" on psycho acoustic technology back in my studies for Audio MIDI engineering (Berklee School of Music Home Study courses circa 2002-'03). Typically overloaded with boring, tedious, and seemingly useless physics and stuff us creative musical types couldn't give a dead rat's sphincter bone about (until you finally get a grasp on it), I found Aphex's white paper on PAP unusually festinating and thought... OMG.... aM I tUrNing iNtO a NeRd? 
 And what was really amazing was, to field test my understanding of PAP, I plugged/wired my rack mount Aphex Aural Exciter type C2 into an old cheap Sony car stereo with a Radio Shack cassette player adaptor and hooked the Sony car stereo up to an old 6"x9" car speaker which I simply just placed on the carpeted floor and wasn't mounted in a speaker cabinet. Placing a bare speaker on a thick rug shouldn't produce any real low frequencies which actually radiate from the speaker cabinet itself.
 I wouldn't say it sounded like a Marshall or Fender amp, but quite shockingly it DID sound better than most cheapo bargain basement amps do, ya know, the kind of no name amps music stores like to sucker beginners into buying for $50 that come in any color you want, except for the color you want??

Second gen Aphex's type C (with BIG Bottom) and BBE added bass contour control, a.k.a. sub harmonic synthesizers to fool your ears and brain into thinking the bass is actually there.
 Cakewalk has a plugin for adding sub bass harmonics synthisis that can be used to compensate for the L1's lack of bass control, but I can't remember what it's called at present. The plugin looks like a 19" rack mount unit, and like a lot of Waves plugins it has a switch to cut back on CPU usage so it can be used on tracks without taking much of a hit on computer resources.

And so, I'd also like to point out at this point is, assumptions are not only bad, they tend to be ridiculous and absurd coming from the completely negative mindset of those who assume everyone is out to get them, and assume anyone who says something they don't agree with or "believe" is lying to them.
 All I can say about that is PPPPPBBBBBBTTTTHHHZZZzz.. Sounds pretty shallow and narrow minded to me..
What makes anyone think they are so important or special to make such grandiose assumptions like that?

And from my experiences, I found 90-95% of SONAR'S stability problems come from user error and poor work flow habits, and from novice user's who feel, just because SONAR can record unlimited tracks supporting 100's of plugins, doesn't mean your computer can!
 And just because you have an early gen Intel i7 machine you purchased on sale at Best Buy, doesn't mean you have a computer workstation capable of running a modern day DAW full steam ahead.
 And while it's very possible to run buss and mastering plugins on tracks, and vise versa, and get good results by breaking the rules and such, as long as you know how far you can push and go before crashing, burning, and crossing over the red line of destruction.
 It's a really good idea to learn what these plugins do and what are really all about and what the recommended uses  and applications are.
 And it's a GREAT idea to learn what the rules are before breaking them.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

Steev
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 17:53:32 (permalink)

Well, I didn't classify it as a compressor, nor am I a novice or naive. It's a limiter, and the threshold slider controls the level at which compression begins to kick in.

I said I found calling it a gain control puzzling. Because ... well it's not a gain control.
I understand how you're talking about using it, which may be cool, but doesn't make it a gain or volume control.  Yes you may use it to apply some gain, but there are other effects there, namely limiting and compression, which you are obviously aware of and taking advantage of in the scenarios you describe.

However, to call it a gain or volume control, or use instead of a gain or volume control, it isn't, it's a limiter and functions quite differently. Therefore, to use it as, and call it a volume control or gain control, it's quite correct to call it a "pseudo gain control". I really don't understand why that seems to get such a reaction.

Very contradictive statement Cliffr. 1st paragraph say it's not classified as a compressor, 2sd paragraph you claim, ah, lemme copy and paste to quote a quote "namely limiting and compression".
 I'll try once more to attempt to clear the confusion and try to explain why using Concrete Limiter is much better and easier to make a track “stand out in the mix”  to use than simply cranking up the channel’s trim/Gain control.

The very differences you are misunderstanding are gain STAGE not gain CONTROL.
By turning up the channels gain/trim control knob you are also turning up your noise floor level amplifying unwanted room noises. Which are further enhanced by running the signal path thru the channels compressor and EQ and everything else running on the channel and aux. before the signal gets sent out of the channels output to the buss.
 Using the Concrete Limiter anywhere after the EQ and before final output to the buss can be used to set the STAGED level of gain including Compressor and EQ settings without compounding the signal noise floor level set and determined by the channel's gain/trim control.
 By simply turning up the channel's gain/trim control, your are changing/ disturbing and effecting your compressor's settings, which set off a chain reaction thru EQ settings which changes and effects everything differently down the signal paths line.

The CONCRETE LIMITER DOESN'T COMPRESS ANYTHING!, ZIP NADA! It just makes everything LOUDER from subtle loudness to full tilt boogie ZERO DYNAMICS where everything is heard at the same MAXIMUM VOLUME.
 And Concrete Limiter is great for full tilt boogie ZERO DYNAMICS mixes as well for anything used in elevators, shopping malls, dance halls, and jamming down the street listening to yer iPhone as well, and with amazing transparency.
 Hense the name Concrete Limiter, or generically called a “Brick Wall Limiter” where and when pushed hard, the wave form loses all dynamic peaks, dips, and valleys, and looks like a solid concrete brick wall. But that’s not all it can do, set it below the limiting threshold, it does a GREAT job at transparent GAIN STAGING!
While it's true the are many types of compressors Like FET (field effect transistor), optical, and vacuum tube, all which achieve basically the same thing of squashing the signal by "lowering" the highest signal level and raising the lowest signal level, but they all do it differently, and all do it in different flavors with the same basic theory of V=S+B. Velocity (sound pressure) = Slope (ratio) and Bias (unity) And as a basic rule of physics, by the very nature of compressors, contrary to popular novice belief,  they in fact REDUCE the overall unity by smoothing and reducing the spaces between HIGHEST signal levels with the lowest signal levels. That’s why a makeup gain control on is typically added final output.
All CONCRETE LIMITER does is bring the lowest sounds from the bottom of the perceived noise floor up to the top once a user determined threshold has been reached. But until that threshold is met (like when it's meter starts registering limiting) it ONLY raises the overall volume level of the signal it receives, very colorlessly and odorless GAIN STAGING without effecting anything before it in the signal path, without any limiting occurring at all.

And you can argue all you want Cliffr, nothing is going to change that reality.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

cliffr
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 20:00:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2018/03/24 20:18:32
Steev

Very contradictive statement Cliffr. 1st paragraph say it's not classified as a compressor, 2sd paragraph you claim, ah, lemme copy and paste to quote a quote "namely limiting and compression".
 I'll try once more to attempt to clear the confusion and try to explain why using Concrete Limiter is much better and easier to make a track “stand out in the mix”  to use than simply cranking up the channel’s trim/Gain control.

The very differences you are misunderstanding are gain STAGE not gain CONTROL.
>>>Snip

No, not contradictive at all.
Limiting and gain reduction are compression by definition. I didn't label it as a compressor, because it's not, it's a limiter. No matter how ancy nancy you want to get about terms and definitions, when you apply gain, limiting, gain reductions, dependent on some threshold, you are compressing the dynamics of the signal. Fact, call it what you want. I'm not misunderstanding anything here.

Somebody said "I like to use the concrete limiter as a gain control". Then pointed to a video titled "Using the concrete limiter as a Volume Control".

I was pointing out, that it's not a "Gain Control". Or a Volume Control. In that context it's a "pseudo gain control".

Steev

The CONCRETE LIMITER DOESN'T COMPRESS ANYTHING!, ZIP NADA! It just makes everything LOUDER from subtle loudness to full tilt boogie ZERO DYNAMICS where everything is heard at the same MAXIMUM VOLUME.
 And Concrete Limiter is great for full tilt boogie ZERO DYNAMICS mixes as well for anything used in elevators, shopping malls, dance halls, and jamming down the street listening to yer iPhone as well, and with amazing transparency.
 Hense the name Concrete Limiter, or generically called a “Brick Wall Limiter” where and when pushed hard, the wave form loses all dynamic peaks, dips, and valleys, and looks like a solid concrete brick wall.

Tada, when the wave from loses all dynamic peaks, dips, and valleys - guess what. It's been compressed. Maybe not the SAME type of compression that you are getting from what you label as a compressor. But it's compressed. Anything that squashes one part of a signal and not others, is compressing the signal. Fact.

Concrete limiter is NOT a gain control, and it's NOT a volume control, it has OTHER effects, which is what I was pointing out. And yes, when the threshold is reached, limiting and gain reduction kick in. The signal dynamics are altered. Quote "loses all dynamic peaks and valleys" = Compressed :-)

I didn't come to argue, so I'll leave the last word to you. Go for it :-)

My Soundclick Page 
Gmichaelhall
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 20:25:10 (permalink)
Saxon1066
Haha.  Yeah, I can hear you on that.  I've been skeptical about using it on a final product.
+1. All one has to do is compare it to a decent limiter and the decision to use or not is easy to make!
John
Forum Host
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 20:34:35 (permalink)
Gmichaelhall
Saxon1066
+1. All one has to do is compare it to a decent limiter and the decision to use or not is easy to make!

What is it you find bad about it?

Best
John
Gmichaelhall
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 21:08:53 (permalink)
John
Gmichaelhall
Saxon1066

What is it you find bad about it?

The sound it imparts is not subtle. If it is a sound that someone is into, great. Also I believe it has an adverse impact on the mix image both middle to side and back to front.
If you mono everything below 500hz before hitting the CONCRETE limiter, you can better hear its affect on the stereo image as well as the very narrow mono centre. I don't like it at all and I cannot imagine anyone working their butt off to perfect a tonal and spectral balance of a mix to then send it through this thing, and call it a win.
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 21:18:43 (permalink)
Adaptive Limiter is superior to Concrete Limiter as a mastering limiter. It’s a good limiter however and really simple to use.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Gmichaelhall
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 21:37:56 (permalink)
michaelhanson
Adaptive Limiter is superior to Concrete Limiter as a mastering limiter. It’s a good limiter however and really simple to use.
It is much better isn't it? I wish it was a more efficient plugin, tends to be a bit of a pig but it certainly doesn't have all the artifacts and blatant decimation of the CL. My favourite limiter is the Precision Limiter from UA, and since a de esser is also a form of compression, if I have a build up of 11khz on my mixbus, I will use the Precision de esser to knock that down and out of the way.
I bought the Newfangled Equivocate and love it but still have not wrapped my head around how to use it efficiently, it too is a bit of a pig but pretty clean with a distinct tonality that is really nice. I hope to spend more time with that plugin in the near future. Because of the situation with Sonar, I wasn't going to invest alot of time in the AL, but if this BandLab move gets the ship back on course, I may. Overall, I find the Cakewalk plugins are not very efficient to use and are often buggy. Rather than BandLab adding new features it would be great if someone got in under the hood and sorted some of these more promising plugins out, and bin the rest.
post edited by Gmichaelhall - 2018/03/24 22:02:39
Rasure
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 21:39:23 (permalink)
As far as the master buss is concerned I prefer a clipper, I certainly wouldn't use the concrete limiter on a master, good enough for channels though. In Studio One I use the Waves L1 for individual tracks.

[16 Gig Ram]
[Windows 10 Pro x64]
[Studio One 4 Pro]
[Notion 6]
[Mackie Onyx 400f]

Gmichaelhall
Re: Cakewalk Concrete Limiter--anyone using it? Tips? 2018/03/24 21:49:25 (permalink)
Rasure
As far as the master buss is concerned I prefer a clipper, I certainly wouldn't use the concrete limiter on a master, good enough for channels though. In Studio One I use the Waves L1 for individual tracks.
Ah, but a clipper is an artistic choice and used as such can be a wonderful sound to impart.. Whereas strapping a dirty brickwall limiter across a mix bus seems such a questionable choice to make, it's not 2006 after all. 🤣
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1