Cakewalk DX Compressor/Gate plug only comes in stereo?

Author
Green Needle
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
2017/11/17 20:07:39 (permalink)

Cakewalk DX Compressor/Gate plug only comes in stereo?

I love this plug, but i am having trouble getting it to be compatible on a mono track insert, usually the 2 little handles on the bottom of the insert icon will move to the center on a mono track but this plug stays stereo and messes up the other mono plugs
Am i doing something wrong? Is there a VST version? Using Sonar pro latest update.

5 Replies Related Threads

Don Mason
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Cakewalk DX Compressor/Gate plug only comes in stereo? 2017/11/17 23:47:43 (permalink)
    It's a Direct X plug-in, so there's no VST version that I know of. Direct X is slowly fading away. Like the stacks of floppies that I have sitting around. 

What is your signal chain on this? What is feeding into what? Is the track interleave set to Mono?

I don't know if this will work, but you might try inserting Channel Tools somewhere in the chain (probably right after  the compressor). Maybe some combination of Channel Tools Left or Right channel might work to bring the compressor output back to mono. Or rattle the computer a couple of times, and confuse the electrons in one of the stereo outputs that's screwing things up. There's always a way. 

Don Mason

Studiocat i7 4790, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD Program, 1 TB HD Samples, 2 TB HD Audio, HD 4600 video 
    RME Ladyface (Pepto-Bismol pink version of Babyface - used and ugly, so it was cheap)
    Win 10 x 64 bit, ProAudio 8, 9, Sonar 1.0...   long unmusical hiatus...   Sonar Professional, Sonar Platinum Lifetime 
    BFD3, Native Instruments Komplete 10, Waves Gold Bundle 
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Cakewalk DX Compressor/Gate plug only comes in stereo? 2017/11/18 14:17:45 (permalink)
    Could you elaborate on how the compressor messes up the other mono plugs? 

Very few true mono plugins exist these days. Waves, FabFilter and Blue Cat still offer mono versions of their plugins, but most vendors don't. That may seem strange, given the ubiquitousness of mono tracks. It's just that dedicated mono versions are no longer technically necessary.

The only true mono compressor in my toolkit is the superb FabFilter Pro-C, but the mono version is just provided for backward compatibility. FabFilter's gate, Pro-G, is a newer product and has no mono version.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Green Needle
    Re: Cakewalk DX Compressor/Gate plug only comes in stereo? 2017/11/18 21:35:49 (permalink)
    Don Mason
    It's a Direct X plug-in, so there's no VST version that I know of. Direct X is slowly fading away. Like the stacks of floppies that I have sitting around. 

What is your signal chain on this? What is feeding into what? Is the track interleave set to Mono?

I don't know if this will work, but you might try inserting Channel Tools somewhere in the chain (probably right after  the compressor). Maybe some combination of Channel Tools Left or Right channel might work to bring the compressor output back to mono. Or rattle the computer a couple of times, and confuse the electrons in one of the stereo outputs that's screwing things up. There's always a way. 

The main problem is freezing, it will freeze in stereo. Also sometimes, i can't give a solid diagnosis, but if i open a session the LV track with the comp/gate on it for example, it will play only on the left side till i hit the mono stereo button one round trip back to mono then its back to center, PITA.
    I am not sure how to get away from mono plugs, for example i use the Waves Scheps 73 a lot, and there is a stereo version and a mono one, putting the stereo one on mono tracks is just cumbersome.

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Cakewalk DX Compressor/Gate plug only comes in stereo? 2017/11/19 01:31:08 (permalink)
    OK, gotcha. After freezing, you're left with a stereo track.

What's happening is the last plugin in the chain is stereo, so SONAR is automatically switching the signal path to stereo to accommodate it. All you have to do is insert any mono plugin at the end of the chain and (as long as the track interleave is set to mono) you should get a mono bounce. The free Mono Gain control from Blue Cat Audio works for that, and is also a handy plugin to have on hand anyway.

The alternative is to bounce the frozen track to mono. Select the track, right-click and select "convert to mono".

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Green Needle
    Re: Cakewalk DX Compressor/Gate plug only comes in stereo? 2017/11/19 01:39:36 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    OK, gotcha. After freezing, you're left with a stereo track.

What's happening is the last plugin in the chain is stereo, so SONAR is automatically switching the signal path to stereo to accommodate it. All you have to do is insert any mono plugin at the end of the chain and (as long as the track interleave is set to mono) you should get a mono bounce. The free Mono Gain control from works for that, and is also a handy plugin to have on hand anyway.

The alternative is to bounce the frozen track to mono. Select the track, right-click and select "convert to mono".

You are a good listener! Thank you, i will use that idea.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1