Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View?

Author
kilgoretrout
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 580
2006/09/21 10:09:03 (permalink)

Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View?

I have posted this before and gotten several positive responses.

How about a yellow sticky note feature in the track view? Here is the thought process:
Record and begin mixing. Its now 4am and you have to sleep. But you want to leave notes as to what you want to do next.

So - you stick a note in the guitar track saying "Boost mids, less reverb'
In a synth track "Fade a bit more here to make more room for guitar solo"
In vocal track "Try doubling this part to thicken"

And so forth.

Excel has a feature like this that allows you to leave notes in a spreadsheet. Adobe Pro has a feature like this.

I am not talking about any affect to the audio, midi or anything else - just a small application that allows you to note everything to do next.

For those of you who suggest writing it in the track properties pane - I have tried that and I don't think it does what I am talking about.

As for doing this in a notebook - yes you can do that, but the yellow stickies should allow you to specifically mark where you want to focus next time you come back to the project.

As an ex electronics engineer, I understand how difficult some of the requests that users make can be. This isn't something that would be part of the audio or midi process - more an addition (small I think) to the GUI. I dont think (but could be wron) this is a hard application to include.

Thanks and thanks for the great products

Sonica dual core 3.4 GHz with 2GB ram, 2-300GB audio drives 1-80Gb system drive, RME DIGI 9652, Sonar 6 PE, Mackie D8B, 2x MOTU MTP AV USB, TC Powercore Firewire, UAD1, vintage synths, Modcan modular, guitars, outboard gear,

29 Replies Related Threads

kp
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1496
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 10:14:34 (permalink)
    Track Properties notes field combined with Markers? It would work for now anyway.
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 10:14:36 (permalink)
    There is a plugin that does exactly this but I don't use it so I don't know the name or have a link. It seems to me that one can execute the instructions in the examples you gave as fast one could make the notes anyway so I don't really see the point. Now, marking down the date of a track and mic used, stuff like that, I can understand. I'll try to remember the name of that plugin.

bermuda
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 10:20:16 (permalink)
    Track Properties note.

HOw about wherever the now time is in the selected track, if you choose option of POSTIE, it opens up the Track Properties note and auto dumps a reference entry, so the user can type info next to it.

There then could be an option in Sonar to show all posties and the user could hover mose over postie to read reference for track.

OK ALTERNATIVE

A view similat to Event VIEW (or a filterable view in the Event VIew, where a postie is recorded as an event and the user types in a box to the right)

USER ALternatives:

1) Get a dictaphone.....record important settings at the end or during a session verbally...quick.

2) Record important settings to a vocal track in Sonar...listen to on opening project first, then mute.

3) Write settings in a notepad or in Excel for each project.
    Use an indexing system, if using samples, refer to the sample or loop name location and what you did with it in the mix (I guess this is somewhat covered by track folders though)

If you create a list, you can filter in Excel for Drum, Settings etc...
    Another thing to do is go through all sounds and list their frequency ranges most likely to be used....SO when looking for a sound that doesn't clash with an existing sounds frequency range to heavily, you can filter the list and booyakkka, a whole bunch of options to try !

ps CAKEWALK there is some serious automated potential using the Frequency analizer in Sonar to create this data base for the user. Even if the patch, sound file simlply shows up in the open file interface as red for probably not that great, to black for great.

Can you see this is the begining of the make my mix not suck plugin that people crave

post edited by bermuda - 2006/09/21 10:38:24

Yes.
    spinlock_1977
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 426
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 10:30:33 (permalink)
    To me this is a workflow issue. Stickys in the track view would be perfect. Workarounds cost too many keystrokes (make your notes elsewhere), or aren't immediately visible (record your notes as audio). I plug-in might do the job, but I'd bet it couldn't do it as well as native stickys.

Music:  WarrenSpencer1977.com 
    Visit my blog:   www.GeekCrumbs.com

torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 10:32:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: agincourtdb

There is a plugin that does exactly this but I don't use it so I don't know the name or have a link. It seems to me that one can execute the instructions in the examples you gave as fast one could make the notes anyway so I don't really see the point. Now, marking down the date of a track and mic used, stuff like that, I can understand. I'll try to remember the name of that plugin.

http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/download/audio/dxpad.htm

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    LionSound
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 10:47:26 (permalink)
    This is a very good idea, but sonar already has a comments view in track folders. Within my personal workflow I always organize my tracks within folders - drums in a single folder, vocals in a single folder, etc. If you organize this way from the very beginning, all you have to do when its 4am and your groggy as hell is expand your folder track and type your note in.

www.soundclick.com/lionsound

FirstStrike 1.2 IS RELEASED! www.fsmod.com
    markheath
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 10:48:27 (permalink)
    I would like per-clip notes, and the ability for rich-text notes as well (i.e. bold, italics etc). I think a little information (i) icon would be fine on each track or clip that had a note attached. You could click the icon to edit, or even hover over it for it to appear in a tooltip (now that would be cool).
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 11:07:46 (permalink)
    This comes up quite often actually.

The problem with the current method of folder notes, track notes, and project info is that it has no relation to the timeline or the clip structure. Being able to tack some kind of indicator of a note (kind of like Excel... ugh I can't believe I just said that) within a project would have a lot of usefulness, especially on big projects that may move on to other engineers and producers. Plus it's a great way to pass session info along to the future... even for yourself! (now, why the heck did I suddenly notch out 250Hz right there??)

I'm not sure I would personally use them very much, but I could see a huge use for them in post-prod, especially sound to picture.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    kilgoretrout
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 12:15:33 (permalink)
    I think the last three understand my comments. I too use the stuff in the folder to make notes, but they are not very time specific.

For me, this is my main passtime, but it is not my job. I like the idea of being able to get back to where I left off by checking notes within my project, not re-reading my hideous handrwiting to see what my thoughts were when I last worked on this.

The excel note, with a little flag that is mostly unobtrusive until you click on it is exactly my vision.

Surely for those of us who mostly record alone or with a very few others could use this. Ditto for mix down - could use notes for multiple mixes. It just seems to me that this would be a major workflow improvement for me. I am sure others would see the benefit as well.

Again, while it has been a very long time since I wrote code, it seems that this is a relatively small add-on. It would do nothing more than tack very small messages onto clips - wherever on the clip you decided to place it.

I need to check the analogx thing again. Back on version 4 I tried to use it but had some problem that I have subsequently forgotten.

Cakewalk - you guys are pretty good at listening to users. Is this something you can do?

Thanks again Cake and fellow users.

Sonica dual core 3.4 GHz with 2GB ram, 2-300GB audio drives 1-80Gb system drive, RME DIGI 9652, Sonar 6 PE, Mackie D8B, 2x MOTU MTP AV USB, TC Powercore Firewire, UAD1, vintage synths, Modcan modular, guitars, outboard gear,
    JoseC.
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 471
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 13:48:20 (permalink)
    Yes, that is something I often miss. While they are at it, they could also add some place where it could be possible to paste Windows shortcuts to files somewhere within a project (the Project Info window would be fine). I often miss being able to reference text files, other songs, or whatever files I have anywhere else in my hard drives.
    markheath
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 14:32:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JoseC.

Yes, that is something I often miss. While they are at it, they could also add some place where it could be possible to paste Windows shortcuts to files somewhere within a project (the Project Info window would be fine). I often miss being able to reference text files, other songs, or whatever files I have anywhere else in my hard drives.

Actually I would like to see an expansion of the idea of the audio folder to include all types of files. My main idea is for your MIDI clips and plugin settings to be stored in there as separate files, making it insanely easy to retrieve them from old backed up versions of your project. But also it could be expanded to include text files with notes about tracks, clips, scanned sheet music, documents of lyrics etc.
    JoseC.
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 15:48:41 (permalink)
    I was thinking more of a project desktop where shortcuts could be pasted. I do not want to store files with a project, but have the way to link files to a project, and keep those files stored once wherever I want. For example, I have lyrics in a Word document that may contain stuff for many songs in a certain mood or style. I want to paste a link to that file within all projects that (might) use those lyrics. Or I want to reference a bunch of songs while mixing. If I could include a memo to myself (like: "check that bass sound") that would be great.
    stratcat33511
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 16:01:35 (permalink)
    I use the old fashioned old school notebook and writing implement
    spinlock_1977
    • Total Posts : 426
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 16:07:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: stratcat33511

How do you back it up? ;-)

Music:  WarrenSpencer1977.com 
    Visit my blog:   www.GeekCrumbs.com

JoseC.
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 16:43:17 (permalink)

You also tune your guitars with a pitchfork?
    MArwood
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1816
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 16:49:43 (permalink)

http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/download/audio/dxpad.htm

Notepad, wordpad.........

Max Arwood
    kilgoretrout
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 16:56:02 (permalink)
    I'll give this app a try again. Last time I used it (seems like it was several years ago - 2 maybe) something didn't sit right.

I still think Cake could put this in easier than doing something such as changing color schemes.

jimack
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1814
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 17:41:21 (permalink)
    Bo,

I understand exactly what you're asking for. I've begged for this feature myself, and submitted several feature requests for it.

I've also tried DXPad, but it isn't what I'm looking for. Not to mention the plugin pollution it creates.

I can't imagine this being that difficult to incorporate into Sonar.

I guess I'll just keep submitting feature requests and hope for the best.

-- Jim

Sonar 7 PE, P5 v2.5, 3.4Ghz P4, 2GB RAM, MAudio 2496PCI, Event TR6, PodXT, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-C3, MAudio Axiom 61, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gretsch 5296, Fender Strat, Larrivee D03R, Martin D12-28, Martin D16-R, etc
    vicsant
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1378
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 19:42:01 (permalink)

photocopy?

scan?

kilgoretrout
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 20:06:53 (permalink)
    Hey
    I cant read my handwriting when I wrote it wide awake and cognizant of the world outside, muchless anything I wrote at 3am and zoning out.

Negatory on the hand writen notes. I use Notepad or Wordpad. It just seems so danged inefficient to have to go back and forth and back and forth.

For what it is worth, my handwriting at 3am could have easily been the inspiration for a song about being "In a Garden Of Eden" being misinterpreted as famously as it was in the late 60s. However, I understand it was not just handwriting, but an herbal substance of some sorts involved in that as well.

bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 20:09:25 (permalink)
    There's an article in the curent Em or EQ, I forget which, where the author suggests using the Lyrics View for adding notes into his tracks. They're time specific and easily tweakable that way. I thought that was a pretty creative idea.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    kilgoretrout
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/21 23:33:09 (permalink)
    I appreciate the feedback. I still hope someone at Cakewalk reads this and responds. It is not like we are asking for a new reverb or an autocomposition tool. Just a way to right click on a clip and have the option of sticking a note anywhere you want to.

Please Mr Cakewalk give us a sign!

JoseC.
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/22 01:21:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kilgoretrout

Please Mr Cakewalk give us a sign!

Dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum
    TomFerraro
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/22 12:54:21 (permalink)
    What about using lyric view, has anyone tried that?
    stratcat33511
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/22 12:59:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spinlock_1977

I dont - there are stacks of notebooks in the studio !
    I use the DXnotepad plugin sometimes
    I havent tried the lyrics view thing yet, but that sounds like a good idea
    stratcat33511
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/22 13:07:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JoseC.

You also tune your guitars with a pitchfork?

I'm Cursed with perfect pitch - But I use a fender or korg inline tuner live

kilgoretrout
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/22 23:31:19 (permalink)
    Cake - how about chiming in here please?

Thanks

bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/23 03:29:06 (permalink)
    The suggestion has been made twice to consider using Lyric View. Would that work for you?

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    Qwerty69
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1435
    RE: Cakewalk - How About Yellow Sticky Notes In Track View? 2006/09/23 05:16:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kilgoretrout

I have posted this before and gotten several positive responses.

How about a yellow sticky note feature in the track view?

I love it - great idea!!

I want it now.

Q.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1