Cakewalk Missing From SOS Magazine

Author
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
2018/10/29 17:15:49 (permalink)

Cakewalk Missing From SOS Magazine

I am due to renew my subscription to SOS magazine. While reading the most recent copy I realized the Cakewalk section was missing. There are plenty of others not listed there too like Reaper. It appears only a handful of DAWS made the grade. Not sure if I'll be re subscribing or not. I missed reading those Cakewalk "how to" articles.

Does anyone know the reason they seem to have pulled Cakewalk? 

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

7 Replies Related Threads

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Cakewalk Missing From SOS Magazine 2018/10/29 19:44:10 (permalink)
    I assume you are talking about the Nov. issue, which I have yet to receive.

In any case, SOS has been making a number of small changes recently.  The final page (a short editorial by a guest writer), for example, is now something different than what it's been for years.  It would not surprise me in the least if they significantly pared back the DAW techniques pieces.  The number of covered DAWs had grown to the point that it guaranteed a lot of pages being there that were certain to be ignored by a significant majority of the readers.  Print publication (as opposed to online) is expensive.  Of course, if they have advertising to fill those pages, a magazine publisher is not going to care all that much about whether the content is read or not (although the writers will certainly care!).  Maybe the motivation is that the advertising was tapering off and the all those DAW technique pages could not be cost-justified.
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Cakewalk Missing From SOS Magazine 2018/10/29 20:42:16 (permalink)
    ditch the B**** AND MAKE THE SWITCH!.  Right now I go pro tools mostly.  Cubase for midi stuff and pro tools for audio recording.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

joakes
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 905
    Re: Cakewalk Missing From SOS Magazine 2018/10/30 06:57:27 (permalink)
    So thats goodnight from you then ?

Jerry

Built by yours truely : I7-2600@3.4GHz, Asus P67Z68, W10x64 Creator Edition, 32GB RAM, 3 HD's, nVidia 760 GT, Focusrite 18i20 2,d Gen + Ti FW, Oxygen 61 iv Gen, and Edirol SD-20 (yes it works), CbB, Teles, Strats, LP's, Epi Riviera, etc
    Starise
    Re: Cakewalk Missing From SOS Magazine 2018/10/30 19:00:39 (permalink)
    dmbaer
    I assume you are talking about the Nov. issue, which I have yet to receive.

In any case, SOS has been making a number of small changes recently.  The final page (a short editorial by a guest writer), for example, is now something different than what it's been for years.  It would not surprise me in the least if they significantly pared back the DAW techniques pieces.  The number of covered DAWs had grown to the point that it guaranteed a lot of pages being there that were certain to be ignored by a significant majority of the readers.  Print publication (as opposed to online) is expensive.  Of course, if they have advertising to fill those pages, a magazine publisher is not going to care all that much about whether the content is read or not (although the writers will certainly care!).  Maybe the motivation is that the advertising was tapering off and the all those DAW technique pages could not be cost-justified.

Yes, the most recent issue. I went to online pub a few years ago and didn't like the experience as much as a real magazine, and to their credit they put out a great magazine. After I posted this I wondered why I didn't just ask them. Generally this is a very informed group of users who I thought might have an answer.  Craig was the main author on all things Cakewalk there, though I had noticed him also writing for Studio One. That isn't a negative comment, just an observation. 
    I had reasoned that maybe since CbB is still seen as "up in the air" by a few, this might have been a factor. That logic doesn't quite fit though because  they continued to cover it all the way through the transition. 
    I like the online mag you put out dmbaer. Soundbytes, I think I spelled it correctly. Probably more helpful technical info in there than any recent issue of SOS.
    Most mags seem to be paring back. A mag full of mostly advertising isn't much fun to read either. Remember Keyboard Magazine? It's nothing like it once was.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Cakewalk Missing From SOS Magazine 2018/10/30 19:05:58 (permalink)
    Starise
    I like the online mag you put out dmbaer. Soundbytes, I think I spelled it correctly. Probably more helpful technical info in there than any recent issue of SOS.

Wow!  That's high praise indeed.  For me, Sound on Sound is the gold standard.

P.S. It's "SoundBytes", but you were pretty close.
    Starise
    Re: Cakewalk Missing From SOS Magazine 2018/10/31 16:16:23 (permalink)
    I went to SOS and asked.

This was their reply-

"You're right that it wasn't in the most recent issue — we like to rotate them every now and then so that some of the less-well publicised ones (Reaper, Samplitude, DP, etc) get a look in too. Don't worry, it's back in the next issue, and it covers the major new 2018.09 update, focussing on the new zplane stuff.

Cheers!

Chris"

Twitter @Rodein

kzmaier
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 461
    Re: Cakewalk Missing From SOS Magazine 2018/10/31 16:21:46 (permalink)
    Starise
    I went to SOS and asked.

This was their reply-

"You're right that it wasn't in the most recent issue — we like to rotate them every now and then so that some of the less-well publicised ones (Reaper, Samplitude, DP, etc) get a look in too. Don't worry, it's back in the next issue, and it covers the major new 2018.09 update, focussing on the new zplane stuff.

Cheers!

Chris"

Cool!!!

Best Regards,
    Ken
    Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1