Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...)...

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
southpaw3473
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 782
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 18:49:06 (permalink)
I am no fan of Apple or the way they do business.  I agree with Gothic Angel

We'll not risk another frontal assault-that rabbit's dynamite!!!

Tommy Byrnes
Sonar Platinum
Win 10 Pro x64 AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core 4.00GHz/ ASRock 970 Extreme4/ 16 gigs RAM
UA Apollo Firewire/UA 2 Quad Satellite/ Focusrite OctoPre/Makie Onyx1220i Mixer  
THANK YOU!!!
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 18:51:36 (permalink)
southpaw3473 I am no fan of Apple or the way they do business.  I agree with Gothic Angel
I'm not a fan of the way any of them do business including Cake/Roland.
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 18:53:48 (permalink)
10Ten

southpaw3473 I am no fan of Apple or the way they do business.  I agree with Gothic Angel

So can/should we assume you don't purchase any of it then?

Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 18:57:39 (permalink)
bapu
10Ten
So can/should we assume you don't purchase any of it then?
If that were the case I'd have to stop buying stuff and I think it also a great point. I can admit when I buy something that has problems or the company kinda sucks. I need products that work and that is it. The companies will never be my buddies.
sandman5000
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 882
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 19:00:22 (permalink)
Fact is Macs (for better or worse) ARE the choice for  the large majority of pros. 

Are PC's better?  They can be,  spec/performance  wise.  But what some of you fail to grasp is that it isn't always about the best performance.    Eye candy,  ergonomics,  ease of use...these are the areas mac has always excelled in.

PC's are my choice,  but I often wish for the niceties of macs.  However, they are not worth the extra $ to me.  But I do recommend macs every time to people that can afford it.  Precisely because they are PC's that can run Windows and OSX.  The best of all worlds.

I work on an 8 core mac in the studio.  The thing cost way more than I would ever spendon a computer  for myself.   I'd build something that could smoke it at for a few grand less.  But It was my recommendation that got the Mac for the studio.  Why?  Because every producer that comes by is on a mac.  Pro tools and Logic.  Every client reads whatever article on their fav producer or sees what they use..and it's pretty much always mac.   It's just the way it is.

I prefer Sonar.  I know its not the tools,  but the operator.  I'm way fast in Sonar.  It's simple and works the way my brain likes to work.   But logic has a lot of cool features and comes with an impressive amount of plugs and programs.  For $500 you can't beat it on any side.  And pro tools has a lot of good things going for it too.  But I personally don't like Pro tools.  I actually kind of dread it. 

However,  there are definitively things Cakewalk could learn from both programs.   Nothing wrong with pointing that out. 

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 19:05:54 (permalink)
If you have a Mac tweaked for Pro Tools HD and you're chopping and bopping... how much fun is it to stop what you are doing and jam out with Logic?

1) fun?
2) not so fun?
3) don't know?

djjhart@aol.com
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2189
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 19:13:08 (permalink)
well My mac book pro , which cost me $2000 . is well built , so much nicer than any dell out there.The fit and finish is so professional.  The Os , just works perfect. Hardware has never been easier and more compatible than any pc I ever owned. and.it just works.. 
 Now the desktop today is a different story. I am a mac and a pc lover ..I built my Own desktop and its a beast, and I spent only $1500 , for $1500 Im lucky I can get Imac. with dual core processors, Having Sonar on a mac computer its the same thing. what I dont understand is the whole boot camp thing Your still on Windows. and your hardwares the same as a pc today,,, so your actually wasting money.. why put windows on a mac make NO Sense,, The hardware is the same.. I just love the OSX Os so much more than any version of windows i have ever had. and thats the biggest difference windows .. how many more botched Os's do they have to make.. all previous versions of Osx , was a simple upgrade , never a need to reformat because of a program Like windows 2000, windows me, Vista, or W7. Osx you put in the new version and it updates,. What this tells me is that the Apple engineers are only making the osx better under the existing code. and not developing a new code with all the new problems..if it aint broke dont fix it...  Theses are just my thoughts...
 One last thing do a poll on how many times a user has or will have to do a reformat on there PC or there MAC.. Thats what make MAC Superior.. Maybe W7 might be the best Os widows has had. but I will bet the farm you will still have many more reformats than an OSX. Just remember to partition your hard drive for just your OS .. words of wisdom.. 

post edited by djjhart@aol.com - 2010/07/19 19:19:49

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
 http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
 http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

DaneStewart
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 717
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 19:14:03 (permalink)
"USABILITY WINS"

That was told to me long ago by a hardcore developer/programmer.
He said "watch for which products end up on top over the years."

He was right - usability wins.
MACs tend to be more easy to use for many ARTISTS, just like SONAR is way easier to use than Samplitude etc...
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 19:28:46 (permalink)
What a ridiculous thread. Who's Dr hash?  Gothic Angel, are you trieing to put together the differences between the two different platforms of Os's and DAWs. I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with Apple, I've never used it and I don't pledge my allegiance to PC or Mac. Soon they will interchangeable. They are somewhat already. What is the point? Why shouldn't Cakewalk make a Mac version of Sonar?
The learning curve of using either OS and a DAW host tailored to it is basically not much different. There are plus's and minus's of a different nature in both venues.

Craig DuBuc
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 19:31:11 (permalink)
Crg What a ridiculous thread. Who's Dr hash?  Gothic Angel, are you trieing to put together the differences between the two different platforms of Os's and DAWs. I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with Apple, I've never used it and I don't pledge my allegiance to PC or Mac. Soon they will interchangeable. They are somewhat already. What is the point? Why shouldn't Cakewalk make a Mac version of Sonar? The learning curve of using either OS and a DAW host tailored to it is basically not much different. There are plus's and minus's of a different nature in both venues.
Like I said, it is present Sonar users that keep bringing this up not Mac users that want Sonar to be ported to them.
garrigus
  • Total Posts : 8599
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 19:35:37 (permalink)
chilldanny

Wish my AtariST could run Sonar =)

Oh man, I love the Atari ST! That's what I used to use along with Dr.T's KCS software. It was MIDI heaven. No digital audio hard disk recording back then though so you had to mix projects down in real-time to DAT. It was fun.

I actually still have my Atari system and it still works! Although, it's in storage because I don't really have a need for it. I'll have to take it out and set it up again one of these days, just for the heck of it.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/  - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 19:54:56 (permalink)
Meh, I think Logic is actually quite good. Their Flex-Time is the best yet implementation of any DAW I've seen for quantizing and manipulating audio. Some of their plugs are super rad too. Ultrabeat? Love it. EXS? Love it. 

But, it's expensive and on OS X. 

Like I said in an earlier thread, I don't really care one way or the other if SONAR gets ported. On the upside, I could run it on my Mac laptop without having to reboot into Windows. On the other hand, I much prefer dev time be concentrated on making SONAR bigger, better, and stabler.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
gothic.angel
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 572
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 20:03:41 (permalink)
Crg

... Soon they will interchangeable.... What is the point? Why shouldn't Cakewalk make a Mac version of Sonar?...

Sorry to disappoint you... but (one) of the things that keep some (many...) of us away from Apple's toys is that Apple don't conceive interoperability at all... think of its restrictions in terms of audio formats compatibility, for example (see i-Pod, i-Tunes...)... not to mention Logic Pro not supporting VSTs... (sure, you have to use Audio Unit only... who cares about tons of freeware out there made with VST...!!!)   Come on......!!!

I wish ALL programs were interchangeable.... it would be very fair... but unfortunately things don't work like that...
and what Apple does is just "hooking" customers to their sickening "anti-media-freedom" world, made of silly "all-i-tools"...

again, I don't consider that informatics...

These are reasons, may you agree or not....

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

djjhart@aol.com
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 20:34:56 (permalink)
You can use a 3rd party Vst Wrapper for Logic...
So I was working with logic all day today , Took a break from sonar. Oh how nice Automation Is.. using Nodes are easy, drawing a simple straight line can be done in 2 clicks. no grabbing the wrong automation , no accidently moving the clip. I just really enjoyed using automation today. I dread it in Sonar right now... Sonar 9 .. Pls redo the automation.. oh and the flex tool it completely Rocks. 
 If sonar gets ACT to work correct, Automation cleaned up, redo the GUI, add some tabs instead of cluttered Icons as they did with loop explorer. and steal the flex tool . OMG nothing would compare ..and a sampler like in Abelton ..Oh how nice that would be.. 

Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.

Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 20:38:05 (permalink)
djjhart@aol.com You can use a 3rd party Vst Wrapper for Logic... So I was working with logic all day today , Took a break from sonar. Oh how nice Automation Is.. using Nodes are easy, drawing a simple straight line can be done in 2 clicks. no grabbing the wrong automation , no accidently moving the clip. I just really enjoyed using automation today. I dread it in Sonar right now... Sonar 9 .. Pls redo the automation.. oh and the flex tool it completely Rocks.  If sonar gets ACT to work correct, Automation cleaned up, redo the GUI, add some tabs instead of cluttered Icons as they did with loop explorer. and steal the flex tool . OMG nothing would compare ..and a sampler like in Abelton ..Oh how nice that would be.. 
Yep, simplify exporting, fix copy/paste, improve the engine, create a way to constrain tool/clip movement or drawing and a few other things and it would be awesome. Instead we'll probably wind up with another crappy plugin (Boost11?) or 10 new half done "features".
djjhart@aol.com
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 20:57:03 (permalink)
I like how Logic puts there tools  in a drop menu , it keeps clutter off your GUI.. That whole Icon Bar at top of sonar is ridiculous. I go blind looking for the right icon sometimes.. I feel it that Sonar 9 or whatever they call it will be 100% improved in workflow terms.  ACT won't be fix.. caus it works on there hardware. AS 2 I think there done doing improvements.. Automation I foresee being redone. and you will see more tabs in the new version.

dontletmedrown
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1722
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 22:55:42 (permalink)
Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk
...it would really be hard to make a case to any informed person that a Mac Pro is somehow a superior computer to a well built PC (i.e. standardized PC running Windows vs OSX).

I guess the real trick is defining "standardized".  Can you list the components for a "standardized" i7?  If Cake would tell it's customers exactly which components they recommend (not a pre-built rig from a vendor) I'm sure it could cut down a lot of their customer support calls.  This is exactly what Digidesign/Avid does and it's the safest way for customers to build rigs that will jive with the software.

If Sonar was ported to Mac, I would buy a Mac as soon as I could afford it.  The main things stopping me from going Mac:
-PTHD entry price too steep
-Don't want to buy + learn another new DAW(Cubase/Logic).  I've learned three- that's enough DAW menus to last me a lifetime (and I despise Digital Performer with a passion)
post edited by dontletmedrown - 2010/07/19 22:58:37
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 23:00:00 (permalink)
I would think that the only reason that more bugs are reported in PC's rather than Macs is becuase more people use pc's than macs. So it stands to reason that more bugs will be found.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
zungle
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2745
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 23:12:49 (permalink)
sonar was the first DAW I ever learned - - I liked it - and it was better than my old tascam 4 track from 1986 - and better than my fostex digital 8 track from 1998 - 

so for now thats what I like - 

Thats my line
post edited by zungle - 2010/07/19 23:14:41
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 23:42:31 (permalink)
djjhart@aol.com

I like how Logic puts there tools  in a drop menu , it keeps clutter off your GUI.. That whole Icon Bar at top of sonar is ridiculous. I go blind looking for the right icon sometimes.. 

Agreed that, by default, it might look cluttered, but you know you don't have to keep them all, right? I only keep a few of them - 5 or 6 at most - the ones I really need/which provide handy visual reference. And then, only a few more at the top of the track pane. 

Most of the functions I need/use regularly I've assigned to custom key bindings or can be accessed by right-clicking. FWIW...

post edited by Rain - 2010/07/19 23:43:39

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
ba_midi
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/19 23:43:32 (permalink)
eratu

gothic.angel

IMO, We, SONAR owners, wouldn't like to see our chosen DAW reduced on a system whose new factory's prior targets have become kids and Yuppies playing with expensive "i-games".

I respectfully disagree with this statement.

First, because it seems like you assume to be speaking for all of us.

Second, because that's just simply an inaccurate description of Mac pro-audio users. Sure, there are plenty of i-games folks on Macs, but there are plenty of pros and wanna-be pros on Macs, and a HUGE market of potential customers of creative amateurs and professionals alike.

Every filmmaker I know uses a Mac. Every one. Half the pro DJs I know use Macs. Over half the pro studios I know use Macs. Over half the professional producers I know use Macs. It's a valid, professional market with a ton of creative people making music, and Cakewalk should always be aware of the appropriate markets and competition.

There are plenty of pros out there using ProTools, Logic, Digital Performer, Live, and many others on Macs and frankly Cakewalk would be grossly negligent to its shareholders if it at least didn't do a feasibility study of what they can port/develop over to the OSX platform. The marketshare has increased percentage-wise (for good or ill) and if you watch trends, you'd be missing a lot of potential opportunity if you didn't try to take that into account.

Having said that, I don't believe it's possible (or likely smart) for Cakewalk to spend resources trying to port the existing Sonar codebase over to the Mac platform, from what I understand of it (and I'm not an insider by any means). Sonar is so Windows-centric and most likely steeped in vast amounts of Windows-specific code, I just don't see a Sonar port ever happening. Rather, if they did it, I imagine it would be on top of a brand new cross-platform library/core code for a brand new product. So it may or may not ever happen, due to the vast amount of investment they'd have to do.

And also, if they did it, they wouldn't be idiots about it, so why the worry? They'd have the proper budget, development infrastructure and teams in place to do it right. No CEO worth his/her salt would ever proceed otherwise, especially in such a competitive market. Also, they'd be doing it not because they're chasing a fad of silly i-whatever users, they'd do it because they plan on MAKING MONEY. That's the whole point of a business. To sell products to a market and make a profit. They wouldn't do it for fun or for charity. They have to pay bills, salaries.

Frankly, I think Cakewalk might HAVE to consider something like this for the next generation beyond Sonar. Several superb DAW apps are now cross-platform and the business opportunity may (or may not) be sitting right there in front of them.

Add to all that, the fact that Roland is not platform-dependent. They have a vested interest as well. So while their competitors such as Yamaha and to a lesser extent, Presonus, already have cross-platform apps, Roland does not. And look at what Live has accomplished in such a short lifespan. In Europe, it is HUGE from what I understand, a lot of plugin developers are using that now as one of the key plugin-compatibility testing platforms. The World is the market here, not just good ol' USA.

And also, if Cakewalk DOES decide to develop more Mac products (keep in mind it already has a couple of Mac products, if you're not aware!), that doesn't by default mean they're stealing important resources from Windows development.

On a personal note, while I'm a Windows user, and chose Windows over Mac for many reasons,  I have no problem whatsoever if Cakewalk decides to develop for Macs. Frankly, it might be a good thing in the long run, if they have a good game plan and proper investment/budget. It's nothing to fear, and posts like yours, especially when they seem to try to speak for all of us, just perpetuate a divide in the computer world. For me, it's about getting the best products on a professional, stable platform that works great for my projects. You can accomplish that on Windows or Macs. Who cares about petty disputes between platforms any more? I hope we're way beyond that now, and just need to encourage our developers to develop the best product possible so we can produce music the best way we can.

And on a practical level, even if you never deal with the Mac version of Sonar's offspring, a Mac version might make working with Apple-based filmmakers and producers, for example, much more smooth... even for Windows-only users. It might actually *improve* things, unify things to a degree we haven't seen before. And if it makes Sonar more competitive in all markets, it would also make the company more stable. Again, a win-win scenario.

Just my two bits. :)

Best, James

That is one of the most astute responses I've ever seen with regard to this ongoing concern.  I happen to agree fully with you.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
gothic.angel
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 572
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/20 05:09:41 (permalink)
Rain

djjhart@aol.com

I like how Logic puts there tools  in a drop menu , it keeps clutter off your GUI.. That whole Icon Bar at top of sonar is ridiculous. I go blind looking for the right icon sometimes.. 

Agreed that, by default, it might look cluttered, but you know you don't have to keep them all, right? I only keep a few of them - 5 or 6 at most - the ones I really need/which provide handy visual reference. And then, only a few more at the top of the track pane. 

Most of the functions I need/use regularly I've assigned to custom key bindings or can be accessed by right-clicking. FWIW...

Yes, SONAR is fully CUSTOMIZABLE (which is definitely not the case for Logic...), and tool buttons DO provide immediate visual reference, with no need to search hidden functions in menus... drop menus are one of the worst things in DAWs, and thankfully SONAR stands out from that...

Tool buttons are one of the nicest SONAR's features, indeed...

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

The Maillard Reaction
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/20 07:27:46 (permalink)

2) not so fun

anyone else have some insights on this?

Tom F
  • Total Posts : 2749
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/20 07:32:17 (permalink)
hahah - what a silly op ....

saying stuff like:

" but I'm also PROUD Owner of both them..."

pretty much shows your attitude..and your capacity of neutral judgement...
whats the use of this post anyway??? seem like a 3 year old saying "my toy is better than yours"
if you are so proud of owning a product why dont you kiss the sonar dvd on a daily basis and buy yourself a punchingball with an apple picture on it?
that could help - the intellectuyl value of the assumptions you made is close to zero - as eratu politely demostrated..

the x vs. y discussion is so futil - no one forces you to buy this or that - it would have been only not futile if you had copmpared specific feature that you might need but ar not included in prduct x vs y...

the rest is hot air

...trying to be polite... quick temper...trying to be...
Tom F
  • Total Posts : 2749
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/20 07:34:50 (permalink)
btw.. i guess that 80% of the few logic bashers here have never used it for even a minute (same for the protools haters)

...trying to be polite... quick temper...trying to be...
Kraymon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/20 07:44:50 (permalink)
What we really need is less people like you OP. Views such as yours are counter productive and reduce innovation.
I use both Macs and PCs and I don't have a problem with either.
Choice is a fine thing.

electronic music: www.myspace.com/kraymonmusic
The Maillard Reaction
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/20 07:58:28 (permalink)
My question is related to choice...

What happens when you have the PT HD up and someone walks in and wants to play with Logic?

Do you boot up another system?

1) fun?
2) not so fun?
3) don't know?

pjl
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 796
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/20 09:24:07 (permalink)
These debates are always such an interesting mix of personal preference and mis-information.  For example, we have heard:

• The op doesn't want SONAR on the Mac because he/she thinks it will reduce the quality/development of the Windows version.  Maybe, maybe not - but a valid opinion.
  • Logic is superior to SONAR - an opinion.
  • SONAR is superior to Logic - an opinion.
  • A Mac Pro is better than any PC - mis information, as Brandon rightly points out.
  • Mac OS X is a "weak OS" with "nothing to do with informatics" - what an incredibly ill-informed piece of mis-information.  OS X is Unix!  You don't have to like it, or want to use it but Unix is one of the longest surviving operating systems and is the preferred platform for a significant proportion of serious, educated, informed, professional and academic informatics specialists.
The list goes on, but I will not.

Bottom line, which tool is working for you?  Does it let you do the job you want to do?  If not, will something else do the job better?

My personal perspective:

I was a PC Logic user way back.  When Apple bought Emagic and dumped 50% of their customer base (50% is not a guess it is an estimate I got directly from a director of Emagic) I was pissed off.  At the time, SONAR was a toy in comparison so I worked on with Logic 5.5.  Eventually, I moved over to SONAR (V5) which was (in my opinion) not as good as Logic but still a very good programme.

Last year I started using a Mac again (through work) and went back to Logic because the upgrade price from my Windows 5.5 to Mac 8 was so small that it was just worth a try.

So now I use SONAR/Windows and Logic/Mac and I would make the following observations (predominantly personal opinions):
  • First let me stress that, these days, I am an amateur user, I make music for my own entertainment, and that naturally influences my perspective.
  • OS X (Unix) is a superior operating system to Windows so I prefer to work with it (as I said, opinion).  To me, Microsoft lost the plot with Vista and Windows 7 is not a significant enough improvement to lure me back.
  • In terms of functionality, SONAR has significantly surpassed Logic but I still prefer Logic because I really like the workflow.  That may just be that Logic was my first audio inclusive DAW so I perceive the workflow as more natural (before that I was using Dr. T's KCS so after that any workflow was a vast improvement).
  • Logic has some plusses over SONAR, like the way Flex is implemented - although it still sounds better in SONAR because you can use different algorithms for bouncing (Izotope in particular).
  • It is still cheaper to to build a PC than to buy the equivalently powered Mac, but Macs are "pretty" and that matters to many people.
  • The all-in-one nature of an iMac also has workspace advantages, but also disadvantages in terms of repair and upgrade.
  • If buying the most powerful machine is important you can always make a more powerful PC than a Mac because you have to wait for Apple to release a machine with the latest processor but you can build a PC the moment the processor is available.
    • although you could, arguably, use the latest processor to run OS X on a Hackintosh.
    • however, for many of us the processing power has now reached the point that this is mute.  For example, I'm running a quad core i7 iMac and nothing I do gets close to stressing the processor.
  • What about 64-bit?  Well, Logic and OS X are both 64-bit but I don't care because I don't need it.  I have no problems running my 32-bit Logic system and the work I do never overflows my 8GB memory.
    • Yes, I can access 8GB in 32-bit Logic.  I never need more than 4GB unless I am using large sample libraries and Logic/EXS has no trouble accessing more than 4GB of memory so long as no individual EXS instance needs more than 2GB.
  • Some people think that Apple/Steve Jobs are the evil empire.  Well, actually, I agree.  I think Jobs is an arsehole and his treatment of his customers is appalling.  However, it wasn't that long ago that we (and the US Justice Department) were deriding Microsoft for their business practices.  Personally, I'm a proud Socialist (that is not a derogatory term outside of the US) and use government enterprises where available.  However, in this (tragic) age of privatisation, if I refused to buy from every company whose practices I disagreed with I'd be living in the stone age.
  • I really believe that Macs are more stable.  Partly because Unix has a better pedigree in that respect but also because there are far fewer hardware variables.  This can, of course, be overcome with PCs by using known, stable components.  This is one of the reasons why non-tech heads with a limited budget should give serious consideration to the much derided PC DAW builders.  They spread the cost of their experimental failures across many clients.  The premium they charge is likely to be a lot less than the cost of the average punter's mistakes (even before you factor in your time).
So, for me.  I would love to see SONAR on a Mac because that would be a superiour DAW on a superiour OS.  Alas, I don't see it happening for a very long time - if at all.

Celebrate reason, sleep in on Sundays
djjhart@aol.com
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/20 09:33:45 (permalink)
info@tomflair.com

btw.. i guess that 80% of the few logic bashers here have never used it for even a minute (same for the protools haters)

Such a true Statement...

If You have never used Logic , You really shouldn't make a comment.. By no means am i dissing Sonar.  but Logic is so much cleaner looking without having to spend wasteful time to customize . Its just works.. and to have 5 icons at the top just for selection tools is ****ed , you say you dont like
drop down menus.. Have you used Logic ? I dout it caus of the defensive post. anyone who has used both , knows the truth.. some are stuck in sonars fantasy land. Yes sonar is the daw I use regular. but I keep an open mind.. 

As far as the learning curve . Sonar is by far the most complicated daw out there.. Anyone here that is proficient with Sonar will be able to pick up Logic or Abelton and start recording right away. Its that simple. But not the other way around..

djjhart@aol.com
Re:Cakewalk, PLEASE, DON'T ever MESS "our" SONAR with Apple's OS (and their policies...).. 2010/07/20 09:55:10 (permalink)
Pjl That was best post I have read.. I have to agree with you 100%.. on everything.. obviously you have used logic and sonar. You opinions are right on. Bravo!!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1