Cakewalk UA-1G

Author
jonnyx
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2010/05/21 12:17:17 (permalink)

Cakewalk UA-1G

Im fairly new to recording so I might be a little lacking on a proper explanation of my issue.  I have the Cakewalk UA-1G and im using it to record from my turntable.  The peak indicator on the device starts to blinks a little past the half way mark, leaving for low volume recordings.  If I turn it up on the device, the peak indicator is red, but it does not seem to actually peak in my recording.  I guess my question is, if the peak indicator light is blinking/staying red but im not clipping while recording, is it safe to turn the volume up on the soundcard even though the light is red?  Thanks for any help on this.  Like I said, im new to sound. 

9 Replies Related Threads

8 ohm
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G 2010/05/21 14:58:09 (permalink)
    Different companies have differnt specs when it comes to peak LEDs.

In most Roland products Ive used, the peak LED will light up about 3-4dB before the signal actually reached 0dB clipping point.

Trust your ears over your eyes.

Once the track is recorded into Sonar, Check that the highest level does not exceed 0dB. If it does clip, reduce the preamp gain and try again.

You will get to know the 'sweet spot' of your UA-1G with some time and experience.

If you find that the signal is a strong, like -16-12dB RMS, but is quiet on playback, turn up your soundcard output or speakers.
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G 2010/05/27 12:16:45 (permalink)
    jonnyx

Im fairly new to recording so I might be a little lacking on a proper explanation of my issue.  I have the Cakewalk UA-1G and im using it to record from my turntable.  The peak indicator on the device starts to blinks a little past the half way mark, leaving for low volume recordings.  If I turn it up on the device, the peak indicator is red, but it does not seem to actually peak in my recording.  I guess my question is, if the peak indicator light is blinking/staying red but im not clipping while recording, is it safe to turn the volume up on the soundcard even though the light is red?  Thanks for any help on this.  Like I said, im new to sound. 

The red light on the UA-1G indicates clipping so you don't want it to ever light up. Turn down the input level knob until it just doesn't light, not even on peaks. There is no output level on the UA-1G except on the headphone output so you will have to adjust the input level of the recording software if possible. If you are unable to do that then record the best signal you can as you can always increase the volume of the recorded audio later through normalization. Some people here have an irrational hatred of normalization but there is nothing wrong with using it to boost the level of audio.

Regarding your soundcard, if you are using the UA-1G you don't need to involve your soundcard at all. What is the signal path of your audio and how is your soundcard involved in the recording process?
    jonnyx
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G 2010/06/22 15:21:17 (permalink)
    I was refering to the input knob on the UA-1G.  I have learning a good deal since I posted on here, but im still concerned with how it reports peaking.  I have to turn it up some, otherwise im normalizing my records way to much, and I dont want to have to depend on that. 
    jonnyx
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G 2010/06/22 15:44:01 (permalink)
    Signal chain: turntable -> preamp -> UA-1G -> Computer
    Chappel
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G 2010/06/22 17:24:59 (permalink)
    jonnyx

Signal chain: turntable -> preamp -> UA-1G -> Computer

Since you're using a preamp for your turntable I suggest making sure that the UA-1G input switch is set to GUITAR and not MIC. That setting is better suited to accept higher level input volumes. If it was set on MIC that might have been the cause of much of your problem. You can experiment with how high you can turn up the INPUT level on the UA-1G, just remember that if you get digital distortion at the input stage then that distortion will always be in the recorded audio. As 8 Ohm suggests, you can let your ears be your guide but if there is clipping in your recorded audio you will also be able to SEE it because the waveform will be flattened out at the top and bottom.

Unfortunately the UA-1G does not have a very high output and there is no way to either increase or decrease its output.
    jonnyx
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G 2010/06/23 14:40:45 (permalink)
    Excellent, I am going to try this as soon as I get home!  I'll keep you posted.  Thank you.
    jonnyx
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G 2010/06/23 18:50:26 (permalink)
    Nope, almost identical wavform when switched to guitar.
    Kaet
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G 2010/07/28 19:43:00 (permalink)
    I'm having the same problem but with a guitar. Setup is ESP EX with EMG-81 active pickups into UA-1G into computer.

The Peak indicator lights with the input volume about 1/8 of the way up from minimum. The resulting waveform is so small you can barely see that it is not just a staright line.

Should I lower my guitar volume? That definitely changes the sound when I plug into an amp though...

I'm using the WDM drivers because the Help section said to try those first and they should be best but I wonder if the ASIO drivers would be better.
    Chappel
    Re:Cakewalk UA-1G 2010/07/28 21:00:57 (permalink)
    Is your Guitar/Mic switch set to Guitar? Is the advanced mode switch set to ON? What Sampling Rate is the UA-1G set to with the little switches on the bottom of the unit?

Keep your guitar turned up all the way. You should be able to adjust the input level as you have done and get a healthy input into a audio track. Not quite sure why you can't so I'd start from the very beginning and make sure all the switches on the UA-1G are set right. Is there any other audio signal going into the UA-1G other than your guitar when you are setting the input level?

I'm not sure how using either ASIO or WDM driver mode would have any affect in input level strength.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1