Helpful ReplyCakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
RexRed
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
2018/11/14 21:47:06 (permalink)

Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One)

Studio One is now being offered on a rent to buy basis on splice.com...

Question: Why would I want to "buy" Studio One when I can get Cakewalk by Bandlab for free?

I can really see no reason why I would want to switch.

Cakewalk by Bandlab is the most stable it has been in years (perhaps ever) and it has all the bells and whistles I need, considering, I also own the updates for life version of Sonar Platinum.

A few months ago this Studio One offer might have caught my eye but now I am so very happy with Cakewalk by Bandlab. 

I am sure Studio One is a great DAW but I plan to stay right where I am.

Splice has a lot of very worthwhile plugins though, why buy the Studio One DAW when Cakewalk by Bandlab is free and a no-brainer to install and set up?

Just sayin...
RexRed
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/14 21:51:13 (permalink)
Why not offer Cakewalk by Bandlab for free on splice.com? It would be a great resource for generating new Cakewalk users!!!!
a13xhp
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/14 23:07:36 (permalink)
RexRed
Why not offer Cakewalk by Bandlab for free on splice.com? It would be a great resource for generating new Cakewalk users!!!!

Because probably Bandlab Assistant will be the same as the Splice app (online cloud, collaborating platform, roll back project support etc.) but with a free premium DAW to "rule them all".
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/15 06:49:07 (permalink)
Since the forum is locked to new members, the OP is preaching to the choir if endorsing CbB. For a new DAW user, onboarding costs are definitely a consideration, and the "rent to own" is essentially zero-percent financing (it is actually 0.0806% APR over 24 months - $0.33/month extra or $7.81 total) which is far better than SONAR's was to get Platinum. For those who owned X2 or better (before CbB was released, which probably doesn't qualify), there was always a standing crossgrade to SO Pro for $100 off that became $200 off during the holiday season (which is where it sits now). To my knowledge, SONAR never offered such.

Also bear in mind that CbB does not come with a great deal of 3rd party goodies anymore, so owning SONAR previously tilts the scales a bit... a new DAW user isn't going to get them and "free" will mean a lot less to them as well.

*IF* (and that is a HUGE if) CbB does qualify for crossgrade, which I highly doubt, then CbB would be enticing to a new DAW user just to save $200 on SO Professional. For those that owned X2 Producer, X3 Producer, or SONAR Platinum, SO Professional is $199.95 now as a new SO user (can rent to own that from Sweetwater for $216).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
eve_ripper
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/15 10:25:51 (permalink)
We have Cakewalk, some others will prefer to buy S1. It has some great features and lacks some features that Cakewalk users have. S1 has a great "arranger" options, sampler, drum sampler.
I use S1 and using Cakewalk for different projects and purposes.
If Cakewalk had a price, maybe it would be actual to use payment options like rent. Also Splice supports S1 to share projects and make them avaliable online for edits.
Wibbles
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 404
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/15 15:43:08 (permalink)
RexRed

If Cakewalk's free, where's the slice for Splice?

I'm off to see the Wibble, the wonderful Wibble of Wobble

kzmaier
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/15 15:50:58 (permalink)
I noticed Cubase 10 has new features that CbB has long since been there done that.

Thanks to Bandlab for keeping the dream alive!!!

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/15 17:53:37 (permalink)
There are plenty of free vst and sample libraries on the web. This is likely where the strapped for cash would venture regardless. A lot of the stuff that came with Platinum wasn't the kind of thing many would have bought.Same can be said for Studio One. I think eventually some of the Cakewalk synths will make it back into CbB. If they charge extra for those it is likely less expensive than getting Studio One.Most DAW users like to choose what they want to add to their DAW and not mix indefinitely with only the tools that came with the DAW.

I never liked the rent to use model. Period. The day Cakewalk starts a monthly charge to use the software is the day I change DAWs. Makes far more sense for me to pay for upgrades and updates and own it at that point in time.  They still get their money either way so why not opt to let the customer buy the software and use it as long as they want? Or decide to upgrade when they want or need to? In a rent to own plan you never really finish paying for it. Loose a job, have a hardship and the bottom drops out.

I have Studio One 3. It's ok. I haven't used it in quite awhile. Would I pay to get version 4? Probably if the price is right. I don't necessarily need version 4. I would still do it if I liked what the product does.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Wibbles
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/15 18:45:18 (permalink)
Starise

I never liked the rent to use model. Period. The day Cakewalk starts a monthly charge to use the software is the day I change DAWs. Makes far more sense for me to pay for upgrades and updates and own it at that point in time.  They still get their money either way so why not opt to let the customer buy the software and use it as long as they want? Or decide to upgrade when they want or need to? In a rent to own plan you never really finish paying for it. Loose a job, have a hardship and the bottom drops out.

The rent to own model allows those that can't afford to make one large payment (e.g. Wibbles) to use and buy a licence for the software. There is still the option to buy with a one-off payment.

With splice.com, loose a job etc, then pause your plan and resume it when your situation improves.

But sure, if you can afford to buy with a one-off payment, why bother with rent to own.

tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/15 21:48:09 (permalink)
RexRed

Question: Why would I want to "buy" Studio One when I can get Cakewalk by Bandlab for free?

Perhaps you could rephrase your question. Given that everyone knows CbB is free, why are many people who use both extensively still choosing to invest in S1? You know what they say about the proof of the pudding:)

Same goes for Abelton live, Reaper and any other DAW people choose to pay for. Some programs do certain things better than others and are worth the investment if they give you creative return, added stability or a myriad of other advantages. As long as you're happy with what you have all is good!

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
anxiousmofo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/15 21:59:46 (permalink)
That Slice deal on S1 could be tempting if they had crossgrade or upgrade options.

My only fear with CbB is that it will stop innovating with new features, just do (appreciated) bug fixes, and people will lose interest even in future paid add-ons.  Bandlab has done nothing to update or monetize the other legacy IP thus far, and it has been quite a while.

Tangled roots perplex her ways.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Windows 10 x64, i7 5820k, Asrock X99 OC Formula, 16 GB Corsair DDR4, Asus STRIX GTX 970,  SSD's for OS and samples, Akai MPK61, and myriad VST's.
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/16 14:55:50 (permalink)
eve_ripper
…... S1 has a great "arranger" options...
I use S1 and using Cakewalk for different projects and purposes.

What he said
Starise
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/16 15:25:51 (permalink)
Wibbles
Starise

The rent to own model allows those that can't afford to make one large payment (e.g. Wibbles) to use and buy a licence for the software. There is still the option to buy with a one-off payment.

With splice.com, loose a job etc, then pause your plan and resume it when your situation improves.

But sure, if you can afford to buy with a one-off payment, why bother with rent to own.

TBH I didn't look into the splice deal before I commented and I probably should have. I can certainly understand a monthly plan that eventually lets a person take ownership. Ownership in the sense that you are never challenged to pay more once payed up for the version you agree on.   Software development is ongoing. If you own it from a point in time you depend on that version until you decide to pay more. Aside from the monthly payment plan, this is no different than the person who pays one amount. Both arrive at the same place. Both own a version regardless of successive version updates. There is a financial advantage to this over an indefinite monthly payment plan. In that case you never own it and never stop paying.

As it stands now for me, I'm not using SO3 unless I need it for mastering. CbB is still free. I like working with it. The only thing that might persuade me to use SO more would be because I just bought Notion for the iPad. I'm not commonly a notation writer, but I am making exceptions because some of my recent work calls for it. If Presonus puts a sweet deal out there for Notion/SO4 over black Friday I might just bite, even though I have no idea how much I would actually use the product at this point. 

All of my work is now solidly grounded in CbB. The workflow- Idea>Instrument>Recording happens faster in that DAW than any other for me. After I record I can be all over the details faster and more efficiently as well.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/16 15:47:18 (permalink)
so what was the cakewalk "membership"??

just a sec

Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/16 16:10:59 (permalink)
I'm thinking this thread would be MUCH more funny in the Studio One forums.

This reminds me of the old story of a man walking down a street and he comes up a sign in front of a house that reads; "Puppies $500 a piece!"
 When he asks the owner how come she wants so much money for the puppies she simply throws up her arms and replies; "Because nobody wants them for free."

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

a13xhp
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/16 16:21:51 (permalink)
I understand all of the pessimistic comments regarding Cakewalk. One year passed from the Gibson debacle and the SONAR community is still with a "in the air" feeling and to worry them even more Noel&Meng are disappeared lately and we don't know what happened with the November update.
All in all, I am optimistic and I think that the absence of this monthly update may mean that they are preparing something bigger.
Starise
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/16 16:56:10 (permalink)
FYI  updates might not necessarily be monthly. I think the last one went a little past 1 month. The monthly idea is probably something that's come from the Gibson days. IMO I believe the idea now is to release solid updates and usable features.

Make no mistake. Updates will continue but might not be at one month intervals. Neither do I believe it will go for long periods of time between updates. Comparable competitors don't promise one month updates either. I would rather wait a little longer instead of get something that was rushed out the door.

@pwalpwal- The Gibson membership was different things to different people. I think the agreement then was fair even though I never participated in it since I was a lifetime member. 

I don't feel "in the air" . It's a DAW not a baby. I like what they are doing with it. I'll use it as long as I can. I think that will be for a long long time. If something happens unexpected there's always a plan B. None of it robs me of any sleep at night 

Twitter @Rodein

pwalpwal
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/16 16:57:56 (permalink)
a13xhp
I understand all of the pessimistic comments regarding Cakewalk. One year passed from the Gibson debacle and the SONAR community is still with a "in the air" feeling and to worry them even more Noel&Meng are disappeared lately and we don't know what happened with the November update.
All in all, I am optimistic and I think that the absence of this monthly update may mean that they are preparing something bigger.

noel commented just yesterday on a years old bug

just a sec

pwalpwal
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/16 17:02:05 (permalink)
Starise
@pwalpwal- The Gibson membership was different things to different people. I think the agreement then was fair even though I never participated in it since I was a lifetime member. 

? not sure what you mean?

just a sec

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/16 17:15:03 (permalink)
Starise
FYI  updates might not necessarily be monthly. I think the last one went a little past 1 month. The monthly idea is probably something that's come from the Gibson days. IMO I believe the idea now is to release solid updates and usable features.

AFAIK, BandLab still plans for monthly releases but dates do slip. It could be due to other demands for time (such as AES last month) or unexpected problems with the release. It is true without a monthly payment plan like the one used for SONAR, there is one less reason to strictly adhere to a release per month.
Starise
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/16 17:17:06 (permalink)
@ pwalpwal
Some people seen it as an underhanded way to keep bilking money from well meaning Cakers, some seen it as more of a subscription, some seen it as incremental ownership, some felt that paying monthly entitled them to expensive goodies every month, some were happy with just a solid update. It wasn't a huge hit among those who liked the old system. A few liked the idea of paying for the software monthly. 

Of course, soon after the introduction of the monthly payment plan the bottom dropped out. The rest is history. Several DAW makers and plugin makers are adopting similar plans. My YouTube keeps getting ads for splice rent to own. They know I buy software and plugins.

Where I personally draw the line is when a company says to me that if I don't pay I loose use of the software. Never mind obsolescence. That part is understandably an accepted computer/software fact. It's ok for them to tell me my version is ok until it becomes obsolete. I still have Platinum on my computer and it still works just fine a year out, though I don't often use it since I have CbB.

Haven't read the fine print on any company doing the monthly obligation thing. Waves came close to loosing my business. They didn't because there is value in updating and I'm willing to pay for that with respect to their products. They also made sure that V9 owners could stay in the game. Sooner or later things advance and you either move along with it or get left behind. Concerning CbB. It's the game in town now. It's being updated. No reason for me to look up old ideas and plans.

Twitter @Rodein

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/16 17:27:44 (permalink)
a13xhp

I don't use Cakewalk that much anymore but had licenses from Sonar 2 to present.  When that news came out it hit us hard.  As competitive as the DAW world is most developers hate when something like this happens. There were some sympathetic vibes from other developers offering bargains on their DAW. 

I doubt there is anything close to the free Cakewalk other than Reaper with it's nag screen.  If someone has a band and wants to record this would be the DAW.  The popular DAWs appeal to the EDM crowd.

If I become totally broke I'm "stuck" with FL and Cakewalk.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
Dave76
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 171
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/16 18:43:55 (permalink)
Simple put, for people who are serious about their audio work, whether they are devoted hobbyists or professionals, the price of the DAW is a relatively small investment compared to the investment required to learn how to use the DAW and the investment of working on projects that are locked up into that DAW's proprietary format. 

Whether it is accurate or not, there is a perception that a company that has been around for a couple of decades and has a well-known hardware business is going to be more likely to be able to continue operation as they are today versus a company that is only a few years old and has a relatively unclear business model. It isn't exactly unusual for startups to come along and offer all kinds of free stuff and then suddenly disappear one day. If Bandlab's auth servers go away, then you can't use their free Cakewalk anymore and you are going to have to learn how to use some other DAW and recreate all your projects from memory. 

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/16 18:57:41 (permalink)
Dave76
If Bandlab's auth servers go away, then you can't use their free Cakewalk anymore and you are going to have to learn how to use some other DAW and recreate all your projects from memory. 

To be fair, that's true of any DAW. That's why I don't consider a project as finished until all tracks have been rendered as WAV files that can load into anything. I still have some rendered tracks from Ensoniq PARIS sitting around in case I ever need to remix those projects.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Serious_Noize!
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/17 00:26:04 (permalink)
I am one of the lucky people who own Sonar Platinum, by CAKEWALK! And it continues to work perfectly for me. I do not like the idea's of extra eyes being added for money by Cakewalk By Bandlab. That is why I will continue to use Sonar Platinum By Cakewalk. I have image backups if an issue were to happen and will take my PC offline if needed to prevent any problems in the future. 

It really is a good thing that they are offering the freebie version. But I feel it's an invasion with the software you have to install to begin with to get it. That being said. 

I do not care for the free former Krystal : "AHEM" Studio One software, because while things might not be like they are now, a friend of mine purchased that software and said that you had to be online to use it in his case. Not sure about how much truth there is to that. Maybe you have to have an ILOK device or what? 

Either way, I thought this was a SONAR forums, not STUDIO ONE...  And since Cakewalk By Bandlab is back why am I reading this? 

For me it's like buying a hardware multitrack recorder, this one is working great for me, SONAR PLATINUM by the people who MADE IT GREAT to begin with, I do not feel a need to change at this point in time and never will honestly because if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!

Just my opinions here folks. Glad Bandlab is keeping the old activation for the Cakewalk software still working, but there will come a day when they wont do that, because everybody get's tired of paying a bill they don't have to pay. 

Image backup your stuff! On multiple devices if possible is my advice... JMO...... 

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
RexRed
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/18 16:15:05 (permalink)
I must confess.... I took Splice up on the offer. I felt like Cakewalk was somehow in my rear view mirror for a bit until I got heavily into a song in Studio One.

It recorded really nicely. It took me about an hour and I had tracks laid in Studio One.

I loved the way the program found my audio interface (after I initially selected it) and it even selected my input one in mono automatically.

It also automatically set up echo so I could hear my input. 

From that point on the program was a real headache...

The envelopes are each in a separate track. This was horrible and I was constantly disoriented as to which track I as working with.

Unlike Cakewalk, where I can right click on a track and select envelopes from an easy to navigate dropdown the envelopes were a mess in Studio One.

My Cakewalk Breverb did not work in Studio One and Studio One's reverb sounded noisy as does the reverb in Izotope.

Prochannel was gone and I cannot work without that.

The layout of Studio One's Console view is confusing and I am not sure if Studio One even has a matrix view I could not get that far and tutorials are scarce.

I could not get a single side chain to work in Studio One and could not find a tutorial that explained it.

I exported my tracks as stems from Studio One (which worked nicely) and loaded them up in Cakewalk and within a couple hours had a song finished in Cakewalk that I could not mix and master in Studio One. The vocals nestled right into the music which I could not accomplish in days in Studio One.

Setting up Midi Instruments was a convoluted process in Studio One that I still could not figure out how to get envelopes to work right in. 

To be fair I have been using Cakewalk since DOS and I only had a few days working with Studio One. 

But, I had to cancel my subscription to Studio One and I am back with Cakewalk by Bandlab.

I did like recording in Studio One (a lot) but when it came to mixing and mastering I found that process near to impossible. It is not worth it to use Studio One for recording only to move the tracks to Cakewalk for mixing and mastering so I will simply use Cakewalk for the entire process.

And.. I had Studio One lock up on me about 15 times... It was not well suited for use with Nectar 2 and kept crashing. And when studio One crashes I have to restart the PC to get it to shut down unlike Cakewalk which will shut down by simply unplugging and replugging in my audio interface a couple times.

Cakewalk crashes too but it releases itself from Windows for the most part without a restart of my machine.

I am often rendering videos in the background and a restart is not possible.

I may one day revisit Studio One but for now I am back to what works and works exceptionally well!

What took me days in Studio One, to no avail for my mix to come into focus, I was able to accomplish within hours in Cakewalk.

I thought Studio One would be the DAW to end all DAWS and it is not. I am not here to insult this product, I am just being frank. Cakewalk has been slighted by the industry for years but us Cakewalk users know it is the very best DAW that, consequently, no money is needed to buy...

Cakewalk was the best when it was a paid product and it still is the best as a free product...

People from other DAWS can toss around their words like, "industry standard" but it does not make it so.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/18 18:31:25 (permalink)
I admit I am a bit confused how you went from this in the OP...

RexRed
I am sure Studio One is a great DAW but I plan to stay right where I am.

to this above...

RexRed
I thought Studio One would be the DAW to end all DAWS and it is not.

in a single tacking session (since you said you did nothing else). It sort of undermines your...

RexRed
I am not here to insult this product

since that seems to be your only intent. Again, since this forum is locked to new (read "CbB only") users, it is unclear if you are seeking affirmation for your own choices, or to disparage something you admit you haven't used. Since participation here has dropped to an all-time low, you may want to try a FB campaign (if it is the former), or posting on the PreSonus forums (if it is the latter). In either case, your affirmation/disparagement will yield better feedback than it will here.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Wibbles
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/18 18:46:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2018/11/18 20:57:11
I'm a bit confused by your confusion.

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/18 21:02:11 (permalink)
RexRed
I must confess.... I took Splice up on the offer. I felt like Cakewalk was somehow in my rear view mirror for a bit until I got heavily into a song in Studio One.
 <snip>
To be fair I have been using Cakewalk since DOS and I only had a few days working with Studio One. 

I really don't see the point of this thread, but agree it would be hilarious to see this posted over at the PreSonus forum!

And it seems no attempt at fairness was even attempted.

I have been using Cakewalk for 20 years, but bought the Studio One crossgrade when Gibson gave us the heave last year.  Also upgraded an old version of Ableton Live to the most recent one.

I don't think a few days use with any DAW is enough to give one a fair view of the pros and cons, but each DAW is never going to be "the one" for everyone.  That's why there are so many tools available.

I have not abandoned Cakewalk, and appreciate the efforts that Meng and Noel, and the team, have made with bringing Cakewalk back from the ashes.  But I also enjoy learning other tools and workflows.  Maybe that's just me, but I can see the strengths and weaknesses in many products, and I try to learn which has the best tool for what I want to accomplish. 

I bought Cakewalk upgrades for years, including most versions of Sonar, and would state that Cakewalk is definitely the best free DAW available, and likely as good or better than some paid ones.  But to unfairly bash another very popular leading DAW just because you didn't understand it, or because it didn't work exactly like Cakewalk, does not help anyone reading the thread.

A "few days".  Ha! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab is free!!!! (rent to buy Studio One) 2018/11/18 21:07:24 (permalink)
Just to be clear, Cubase 10 looks to be the new DAW to end all DAWs! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1