Cakewalk instrument files can kiss my shiny robot a$$

Author
myonusrecords
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2011/12/14 12:43:12 (permalink)

Cakewalk instrument files can kiss my shiny robot a$$

Hello all,

I have done some searches on this board and all over the internet and have now come to the conclusion that to find an instrument file for use in Cakewalk for my synths is just not going to happen.  At least none with any merit. I am by no means someone who understand any of communication via MIDI so forgive my ignorance.

Actually I don't really use it much at all, except to control my surround sound automation with an old gravis joystick.

However, the studio does have  several closets full of that stuff,  and I'm sure If I had the time could probably figure it out.  My first prority is understanding the structure of the new Sonar Essentials X1.   I have been using Pro Audio 8 on a PC since 1995,  and as of last week have retired my old software for this crazy alien technology.

I also have taken a likeing for this pair of synth modules that I have grown so fond of these 4 past years. Seems either no one likes them,  or they are more trouble than thier worth.  However,  I love them and since im learning all this other,  might as well incorporate them into my workstation.

Well,  this is not as easy as I thought, 
seeing as there is 13 pages of freaking
MIDI Implementation!!

So now I am at trying to either re-instate my Nuclear Science degree, or come up with a resonable solution that doesn't require the understanding of molecular weight and evaporation structure.  If anybody out there has any suggestions please, by all means give me the word.

I have reviewed SYSX, Studioware, ins. definition, CAL, MMC, and this new format SurfaceSDK (IDL)

and honestly,  nothing works better than these two hands. I sometimes just wish I had more of them.

Speaking of which,  I'm going to use them right now, and make myself a sandwich and contemplate replacing the tube in that old piece of crap Gibson amplifier thats been sitting next to my desk with a note on it for 3 years.  Sorry staff, you have plug-ins for that now.

Enjoy those gentile instuments you have (your hands)  I know I will..

Regards,
Michael Yonus
Myonus Records LTD.

P.S  the synths im talking about are 2 of the Roland SH-32 analogs,  I have daisy chained  them together, and fiddle with the midi buttons and nobs,  then all kinds of crazy wonderful stuff happens.

6 Replies Related Threads

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Cakewalk instrument files can kiss my shiny robot a$$ 2011/12/14 17:33:09 (permalink)
    A quick Google found this:

http://sonar.web.infoseek.co.jp/tools/data/SH-32.ins

It opened inline in my browser, but right-clicking and saving without the .TXT extension gave me good file.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Cakewalk instrument files can kiss my shiny robot a$$ 2011/12/14 19:24:14 (permalink)
    So Mike.... are you just wanting to use MIDI stuff with the new X1 essentials? 

If so, it's easy...... or am I missing the point totally? 

I was a Pro8 user as well. Coming to Cake 4 years ago after being away and knowing only CWP8 was like you described....Alien technology..... but really it's actually better than the old CWP8.

Unless you really, really want to ...there is no need to know this>>>>  "I have reviewed SYSX, Studioware, ins. definition, CAL, MMC, and this new format SurfaceSDK (IDL)"

The new soft synths are so much easier.  

Just insert the synth, be sure the keyboard is sending on the correct midi channel, set the channel midi input to the same channel, select the sample or instrument and start making music. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    myonusrecords
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Cakewalk instrument files can kiss my shiny robot a$$ 2011/12/15 16:44:06 (permalink)
    Well Sir,

You make a valid point,  however the synth module doesn't quite work that way.  Its an analog synth.  I can send it to play a note,  but in order for that note to be anything but a generated tone,  it has to pass through the amp > filter> ocs1 > osc2> lfo> ring mod> then finally to efx,  meanwhile each one of those steps has 4-6 controls not to mention the arpeggiator and there are 4 of these stacked per unit.  And its not linear sequencer like a normal GM based synht.  as per say,  its step recording and the 4th stack is a drum machine that sequences based on arpeggiator.  The M-audio controller i use with it sends it 1 channel, 1 patch, 1 bank. the rest of the 5 million other mesages is CV automation. 

Then on top of it all,  I'm runnning two of these daisy chained sync midi. 

What I would like to do, is use my computer as the clock,  sequence a time line,  and record the automation real time to tracks on Sonar.  Then be able to edit them,  and ultimately play the Project with the midi out to the two synths. into the PA. 

All the stuff these things can do is impossible to do at the same time, so it has a performance mode that is also step based sequencing playing back pre-programmed patchs.  Thats no fun at all.

So to sum it up,  since I have this new tool,  would make sense to use it. 

However last night reviewing more of the forum and peoples experiences after installing it.  Its looking more and more that I will be taking a loss on the Sonar X1 and abandoning it permenantly.  After the recent system failure and the need re-install my operating system.  Not to mention the re-authorize of buisness applications I think that my Pro-Audio is superior in stability.  With all this VST/ DXi comminications and fancy features of this new Sonar X1 its reminding me of 12 years ago when Pro Tools came out with the Free LE software.  It was trying to stand with the big boys using Pro Tools 5.  Then we got schooled by ProTools HD,  and Now the professional base PT systems are $15,000 and they are rock solid, but over the top for my application.

It all just seemed from the advertising that the X1 was a new technology simple solution and I'm finding out the performance level of this package is entirely based on the systems stability as a computer. No?  Unless your sound card is outboard and not dependant on the CPU.  Which would also explain my initial success with the product. I had my Pro Audio system hooked up with an Event Layla 3G.  Windows XP pro.  Recording to an external HD Raid.  Solid as a rock. 

All these fancy midi buttons and controls are so much fun,  I just thought that since the price was reasonably cheap; there would be so much going on.  But I have to take my hat off to those aliens and thier technology,  because there is alot going on there,  and maybe more than I could ever understand.  What minds you must have to keep track of all those communications between software.

I just had a thought, I could pull out my old 4" tape reel to reel from the storage and see how that goes.    bahahahahHAHHAHH

Best Regards,

Michael Yonus

Sent through time and space
    digitalboy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re:Cakewalk instrument files can kiss my shiny robot a$$ 2011/12/17 01:26:32 (permalink)
    myonusrecords

I just had a thought, I could pull out my old 4" tape reel to reel from the storage and see how that goes.    bahahahahHAHHAHH 

I just had a thought...You could get happy and apply that to every action....

That would work

Sorry - I don't use Autotune :)
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Cakewalk instrument files can kiss my shiny robot a$$ 2011/12/17 16:01:04 (permalink)
    I would suggest a yahoo etc usergroup for it.. as it probably does send messages IF it's new enough like sysex. it's from 2002 from what I see.. i have a synth older than that sw1000xg  ,that does have XG / GM stuff included. and now a mu128 with 2 add on boards.

so although your going on about filtering, they are probably controllable by sysex. you need to have a look into the messages you send / receive to alter things.

I would try a few soft synths.. sure they might take a bit of CPU but you might find the sounds is far better AND it's easier to control

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/SH-32/

might be of interest

if your of that time, then I'm actually surprised you didn't do a bit of dabbling in sysex and CC's etc.  to really get the most of the unit.

JoseC.
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 471
    Re:Cakewalk instrument files can kiss my shiny robot a$$ 2011/12/28 15:58:05 (permalink)
    There must be some misunderstanding somewhere: the Roland SH-32 http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/sh32.php is not an analog synth, it is a virtual analog, i.e. digital. This means, among other things, that there is no CV (control voltage) whatsoever involved in its operation. However, and according to page 115 of its user manual ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/productsupport/SH-32/01_SH-32_OM.pdf it can be automated using plain, garden variety MIDI Continuous Controllers (CC), something that Sonar handles particularly well. Just select the Controller number in the Piano roll view and automate to taste. A quick overview of that manual also suggests that the arpeggiators allow a fair degree of external control via MIDI, but that is something that you must try yourself and integrate in your particular workflow. Anyway, if you want to automate a hardware synth (any synth), there are no better options than Sonar.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1