Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kb420
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1839
2009/05/09 07:05:23 (permalink)

Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!!

I just bumped up 12 different threads about P5's future development. Most of them have absolutely no feedback from Cakewalk at all. I think it's sad in retrospect to see that a company who's users remained loyal to a product, didn't receive any feedback, positive or negative, on the question of future development until now.

To add insult to injury, the best they can offer now is a discount on a crossgrade to Sonar!?!??!?!?

If there were any P5 users that were interested in Sonar, then they would already own it by now. I think that Cakewalk exhibited poor customer relations in this matter. I haven't used P5 in over 3 years, but I do own version 1, 2, 2.5, and 2.51 and I always felt as though it was a great program. I still think that if it were developed, it could compete with Live. Cakewalk dropped the ball here in a lot of ways. If they were not planning on continuing development, certainly they could have admitted it before now, especially when you consider how often that subject was brought up on the user forums.

It just doesn't feel right. After all of the discussions, waiting and speculation about the possibility of future development, I feel as though all P5 users deserve something more than a discount on Sonar 8.

I think that all of you guys deserve better than that.

Just my $.02.

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-

39 Replies Related Threads

pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/09 08:18:47 (permalink)
    i wouldn't take it personally, it's just business

list of stuff
    cityrat
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/09 08:27:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pwal

i wouldn't take it personally, it's just business

Exactly. Please don't take it personally CW, but I am out of here (due to your treatment of customers). It's just business....
    kb420
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/09 11:40:53 (permalink)

Project 5 Development Team.

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
    pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/09 12:13:43 (permalink)
    don't blame the devs! more marketing & product management

list of stuff
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/09 13:44:59 (permalink)
    sooo... why exactly did you have to bump those threads? pfffft
    kitekrazy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 174
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/09 14:43:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kb420

I just bumped up 12 different threads about P5's future development. Most of them have absolutely no feedback from Cakewalk at all. I think it's sad in retrospect to see that a company who's users remained loyal to a product, didn't receive any feedback, positive or negative, on the question of future development until now.

To add insult to injury, the best they can offer now is a discount on a crossgrade to Sonar!?!??!?!?

If there were any P5 users that were interested in Sonar, then they would already own it by now. I think that Cakewalk exhibited poor customer relations in this matter. I haven't used P5 in over 3 years, but I do own version 1, 2, 2.5, and 2.51 and I always felt as though it was a great program. I still think that if it were developed, it could compete with Live. Cakewalk dropped the ball here in a lot of ways. If they were not planning on continuing development, certainly they could have admitted it before now, especially when you consider how often that subject was brought up on the user forums.

It just doesn't feel right. After all of the discussions, waiting and speculation about the possibility of future development, I feel as though all P5 users deserve something more than a discount on Sonar 8.

Just my $.02.

Just be thankful you didn't upgrade to Gigastudio 4 and it doesn't work. THere's nothing like being raped like that.
    Rafsan
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/09 15:55:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kitekrazy

Just my $.02.

Just be thankful you didn't upgrade to Gigastudio 4 and it doesn't work. THere's nothing like being raped like that.

Let the man speak words of truth.
    Why bring Gigastudio 4 into the mix? He's complaining about Cakewalk, not Tascam.
    kb420
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/09 19:38:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Digital Aura

sooo... why exactly did you have to bump those threads? pfffft

Just to remind us all of the time we spent discussing the future of P5 with no input from Cakewalk at all.

-Craig Anderton-
    DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 00:53:52 (permalink)
    There were a lot more threads than that too.

However, it was only a business decision. Not an attempt to hurt users. It would be smart to exhaust every option before dumping product lines.
    I guess I would feel worse if I drove a PT Cruiser, Viper or H3. Dropping an extra sequencer just don't have the same ouch to it.
    That being said, I hope the survey going around is a part of the same future business plan. I use Sonar8SE now, but I'm not in a rush for 9.
    If they want to know who has "strong feelings about how a DAW should operate" , they really haven't been reading these threads!

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 01:52:17 (permalink)
    However, it was only a business decision. Not an attempt to hurt users.
    so should we ignore the fact that it did hurt the users because it is a business decision. imho we should hold the business decision to what it is; a complete take no notice of a relationship that was fostered over many years. ignore what is; to what may be. dinosaur logic. a dinosaur only is interested in self sufficiency. p5 users can accept it if they wish and not take it personally but cakewalk by roland is not cakewalk as it was before roland by. and the impact (the business decision) personal it is. :-)
    DayDrumFour
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 04:01:10 (permalink)
    so should we ignore the fact that it did hurt the users because it is a business decision.

Why does it hurt? Just keep using it.

If they can't afford so many programs, they just can't.

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 06:20:49 (permalink)
    Sonar 8 PE, Live 8 Suite, Pro Tools 8 Le, Reason 4, Dimension Pro, Rapture, z3ta+, Sampletank 2.5, SonikSynth 2, KLCDE, Battery 3, Recycle, Kjaerhus GAG1, Ozone 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, Sound Forge 9, Motif ES7, MPD 32, Remote 37 SL.

I notice that Project5 isnt on your list, that itself speaks volumes for any possible motive by posting here. I should also point you towards the forum TOS.

Spam
    Spamming the Cakewalk forum with senseless, inane, or empty messages to increase your post count, or simply to aggravate, will not be allowed.

This includes such things as chain letters and two-word "I agree" or "me too" responses. Continually posting the same topic on a particular board, and posting the same question across several forums is also considered spamming, and is a violation of this TOS.

This, I believe also includes using multiple posts across many threads to make the same point.

I would suggest that anyone who feels annoyed by KB420's posts that they use the report button to report this form of spamming to the moderators.

I, too, am disappointed with Cakewalks desicion, although I must admit I am not surprised about this, it was clear that Project5 was never the financial success that it should have been, this coupled with the problems of the development team changing as people moved to pastures new certainly did it no favours on the update process.

Personally, now that there are no possible boundaries, I would not be surprised at all if some of the more applauded features of Project5 make it into Sonar now, I certainly hope they do.

EDIT -also to the point of P5'ers being left hanging, while this might be the case, Cakewalk have made this clear that the support for P5 is being dropped while the product is still for sale, albiet a good bit later than many of us would have liked. Other than gaining crossgraders to Sonar, they still have little to benefit from making this announcement, and I suspect that the crossgrade price is actually netting them very little profit, by the time they pay any licenses out that there would be little left over, so while they gain more Sonar users they will probably lose them if they dont offer some of Project5s workflow into Sonar.
    post edited by syrath - 2009/05/10 06:33:42
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 07:22:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: syrath

EDIT -also to the point of P5'ers being left hanging, while this might be the case, Cakewalk have made this clear that the support for P5 is being dropped while the product is still for sale...

Actually, I checked the day of the announcement and just checked again a few minutes ago.

-- The http://www.project5.com/ website is gone.

-- The http://store.cakewalk.com/ site does not have Project5 listed for sale.

-- The http://www.cakewalk.com/ products section does not have Project5 listed anywhere.

-- Additionally, Cakewalk has discontinued the Pro Suite bundle which used to include Project5 + SONAR + several virtual instruments.

But they did leave the Project5 support/owners pages intact.

The only way to purchase Project5 since the announcement is to find a retail store that still has boxed stock left then register it and download the updates--this will cost anywhere from $150US on up to $200US or more for a product that has been discontinued. Musician's Friend still has it. Zzounds still has it. Sam Ash does not. Sweet Water does not.
    syrath
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 07:54:52 (permalink)
    Oh well, I stand corrected. Thanks Bob. RIP it is then.
    kb420
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 09:44:46 (permalink)

Sonar 8 PE, Live 8 Suite, Pro Tools 8 Le, Reason 4, Dimension Pro, Rapture, z3ta+, Sampletank 2.5, SonikSynth 2, KLCDE, Battery 3, Recycle, Kjaerhus GAG1, Ozone 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, Sound Forge 9, Motif ES7, MPD 32, Remote 37 SL.

I notice that Project5 isnt on your list, that itself speaks volumes for any possible motive by posting here. I should also point you towards the forum TOS.

Spam
    Spamming the Cakewalk forum with senseless, inane, or empty messages to increase your post count, or simply to aggravate, will not be allowed.

This includes such things as chain letters and two-word "I agree" or "me too" responses. Continually posting the same topic on a particular board, and posting the same question across several forums is also considered spamming, and is a violation of this TOS.

This, I believe also includes using multiple posts across many threads to make the same point.

I would suggest that anyone who feels annoyed by KB420's posts that they use the report button to report this form of spamming to the moderators.

Wow!

A personal attack on me from Syrath. What did I ever do to ruffle your feathers?

I have plenty of reasons to post here. I am an owner of P5 version 1 and 2. I don't use it anymore, but I always checked in on this forum to see if Cake was planning to develop it anymore. They did promise to develop it, but it never happened. I sincerely wished that they had developed it, because competition breeds champions. When companies are trying to out do each other with features, we as consumers win. If I didn't care about P5 at all, I wouldn't be here. I also own Traction, but you never see me on their forums. I also use Pro Tools, but you never see me on their forums either. P5 was the first computer based sequencer that I really felt comfortable with and that in itself should speak volumes.

Funny you didn't seem to mention all of the other Cakewalk software that I have listed in my signature, and by the way, I am also a registered user of Home Studio, Kinetic, and Sonar PE versions 4 through 6, but they aren't listed either.

If I upset you personally, then you have issues, and I am not apologizing to you for anything. Get over yourself!

And as far as me "using multiple posts across many threads to make the same point", I guess I was the only person who posted in all of those other threads that had an issue with Cake's development of P5.

I didn't know we had a problem Syrath, but it is what it is!!!!
    post edited by kb420 - 2009/05/10 09:57:12

-Craig Anderton-
    syrath
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 11:44:14 (permalink)
    You never upset me personally, using 12 threads to get a point across was actually a bit of overkill though. One thread would have done it, or even a post in the other threads dealing with the same issues.

Cakewalk have stated their reasons for discontinuing Project5, and to be fair if they consider it financially unviable to continue development on it, then it doesnt really matter what we think we deserve. I would have loved for P5s development to continue, however, lets face it its been a long time coming. You werent the only person that had issue with the bakers development of P5, Techead and a few others did some things about it, by channeling users that brought up feature requests to actually report it through the correct channels, ensuring that the relevant people in CW got the information.

As for my post being a personal attack, if thats the way you read it then so be it, I was just pointing out what you have done (there is no denying that you bumped 12 threads, to try and get your issues with P5 heard). IMO your post was pretty pointless.

As to the following point

Just my $.02.

I also think we deserved better than this, however many of the speculative posts, both here, and in particular on other forums as well as posts trashing Project5 on other forums did it no favours what so ever. There were many misconceptions on how Project5 worked and what it could be used for. Many of these posts were made by people who just couldnt get the workflow of the program, and were very often unaware of the benefits of the Project5. Many of the posts were also made by ex-users who would automatically bring in the comparison with Live. Live and Project5 are still 2 differently strengthed programs that also share some similarities. I still dont think that Lives midi capabilities come close to Project5, I havent tried Live 8 yet however.

Just ask yourself one question though, "what benefits did this post actually bring to the table?". I have seen much worse treatment of users by other companies, Steinberg Cubase, Gigastudio, Tracktion 3.

Its a great shame though that multi-proc support that was originally scheduled for P5 2.5 didnt make it into the program, had this have happened a lot of users would have been very happy to continue working, that is something that I in particular would have loved to have had, it would have future proofed Project5 for many years to come. As it is the program will continue to fall behind as computers get more CPUs in them.

I personally wish things could have been different, however the naysayers made sure that the nail was put into Project5s coffin. I do agree though that it could have been marketed much better.

EDIT - I dont personally have a problem with you, it was just that the post appears to be deliberately confrontational, my bad if you did not mean it that way, and if so you have an apology from me as reading it as such.

DOUBLE EDIT - Also think about how many companies just now are draggin their heals with 64 bit support, many of whom have promised that the release would be made, some of which have been waiting over a year since their original release date.

post edited by syrath - 2009/05/10 11:56:51
    kb420
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 13:57:55 (permalink)
    Just ask yourself one question though, "what benefits did this post actually bring to the table?". I have seen much worse treatment of users by other companies, Steinberg Cubase, Gigastudio, Tracktion 3.

As for my post being a personal attack, if thats the way you read it then so be it, I was just pointing out what you have done (there is no denying that you bumped 12 threads, to try and get your issues with P5 heard). IMO your post was pretty pointless.

EDIT - I dont personally have a problem with you, it was just that the post appears to be deliberately confrontational, my bad if you did not mean it that way, and if so you have an apology from me as reading it as such.

The benefit it brought to the table for me was that I felt I needed to get that off my chest. It may have seemed pointless to you, but it's already served it's purpose for me. At one time, I was a total P5 fanboy. I sung it's praises everywhere I went. It made me feel better to post that. I guess you don't think it's ok to go to a user's forum and rant about the program and company.

What, are you on the payroll or something?

My post was meant to be deliberately confrontational, but I wasn't looking for a confrontation with you. That's what I don't get. Why do you care about me taking a shot against Cakewalk? Cakewalk sure as hell doesn't care about taking the money that you and I spent on P5. If they did, they would have marketed and developed it more. Instead they promised things that they never delivered.

PROMISES PROMISES!!!!!

Just so you know, this isn't the first time I called Cakewalk out:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=819211&mpage=1&key=

If they can't take some abuse from a loyal customer, then they don't deserve to have any customers.

What ever happen to the saying, "the customer is always right"?

post edited by kb420 - 2009/05/10 14:24:24

-Craig Anderton-
    syrath
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 14:31:59 (permalink)

Dont get me wrong you make fair comments (IMO) however this

My post was meant to be deliberately confrontational,

by your own definition is considered trolling in the TOS rules of most forums on the web.
    kb420
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 15:00:19 (permalink)

Dont get me wrong you make fair comments (IMO) however this

My post was meant to be deliberately confrontational,

by your own definition is considered trolling in the TOS rules of most forums on the web.

Oh well, I'm not the first troll this forum has seen. So sue me!!!!

-Craig Anderton-
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 15:14:44 (permalink)

Ah, so you admit you're a troll.
    kb420
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 15:20:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: blipp

Ah, so you admit you're a troll.

Only because it make Syrath feel better.

Only if being confrontational means being a troll.

I've been confrontational on Cakewalk's forums for years, and no one has called me a troll!!!!!
    post edited by kb420 - 2009/05/10 15:30:27

-Craig Anderton-
    kb420
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 15:25:43 (permalink)
    Why does it matter anyway?

P5 is now officaially dead anyway!!!

It's been real.

Hey Syrath, no hard feelings. I didn't mean to upset you!

I'm out.

-Craig Anderton-
    locket
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 15:50:15 (permalink)
    just out of interest what is a troll?
    wetdentist
    • Total Posts : 1129
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 16:08:49 (permalink)
    it's some sort of forum jargon that i guess has been around for years that means someone who posts on a forum for the sole purpose of creating a conflict, usually with a different company's well-being in mind. for example, if, a year and a half ago, i wanted to personally ruin as many Live sales as i could, i would create an account on the Live forums and start bad-mouthing Live, its functions, its midi capabilities, its support, etc all while pretending to be a Live customer/user. i've seen many people on this very forum get referred to as a troll;

3.5 Ghz AMD 6-Core/16 gigs RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, Win 10, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Komplete 10, z3ta+, Z3TA+ 2, Rapture, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Melodyne 4 Studio, Ozone 4, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2, Schecter Damien Elite, Fender Sonoran w/TronicalTune Plus installed, etc 
    go here to hear Wet Dentist (2000-2016 RIP)
    my new sounds: The Das Kaput

locket
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 16:14:26 (permalink)
    ahh I see, thanks for clearing that up for me.
    wetdentist
    • Total Posts : 1129
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/10 18:55:06 (permalink)
    oh, and that snoop .gif is dope

3.5 Ghz AMD 6-Core/16 gigs RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, Win 10, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Komplete 10, z3ta+, Z3TA+ 2, Rapture, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Melodyne 4 Studio, Ozone 4, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2, Schecter Damien Elite, Fender Sonoran w/TronicalTune Plus installed, etc 
    go here to hear Wet Dentist (2000-2016 RIP)
    my new sounds: The Das Kaput

DayDrumFour
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/11 00:12:01 (permalink)
    Stuart,

In kb420's defense, he did lead a campaign to get Cakewalk to understand a basic pattern feature like input quantization. It was added to Project5 FIRST before Sonar. He typed so much on the subject most I could do was "bump" or add +1 to his posts.

Many of us are frustrated. We show it in different ways. Maybe there should be a "rant" thread.

Mercury
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/11 00:57:11 (permalink)
    R.I.P. P5. Its hard to believe in resurrection in this case.
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: Cakewalk left P5'ers hangin'!!!!! 2009/05/11 06:37:31 (permalink)
    P5's dead?.............

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1