Cakewalk - love it

Author
Trist_Pat
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 163
2009/01/30 19:34:42 (permalink)

Cakewalk - love it

I've been involved in bands and music since early high school.. that puts me in the late '70s and early '80s.

Back then, when I wanted to record I broke out my Yamaha 4 Track cassette recorder and my Boss Dr. Rhythm DR550 drum machine.

When I discovered Guitar Tracks with it's much larger mutli-track capabilities, drag and drop drummer and built-in effects.. I was in hog heaven.

The upgrade to Guitar Tracks Pro 2 was a significant improvement.. and now recently I just got GTP3 (I know, behind the times) and for Christmas I received a PreSonus Firebox Digital Audio Device and with other Christmas money I bought an MXL Condensor Mic.

I'm still amazed at the quality of recording I am able to accomplish at home now.

I play in a band and we recorded a CD a few years ago. That was a great experience working in a studio - but you are always cognizant that the clock is in play and the meter is running. It's just a relief to be able to get very good quality without those constraints.

Plus.. it is fun! Working with different mixdowns and effects, tweaking this and that.. that's my cup of tea.

So I just wanted to thank Cakewalk for making these awesome products..

Patrick Thompson - Bass/Vocals for The Trist, Sacramento, CA
My Personal Soundclick Page
The Trist Soundclick Page (my band)

8 Replies Related Threads

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Cakewalk - love it 2009/01/30 19:39:03 (permalink)
    And you haven't even made it to Sonar 8 yet.

Craig DuBuc
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Cakewalk - love it 2009/01/30 19:57:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Trist_Pat

I play in a band and we recorded a CD a few years ago. That was a great experience working in a studio - but you are always cognizant that the clock is in play and the meter is running. It's just a relief to be able to get very good quality without those constraints.

that can be a double edged sword, in the sense of it helps you to focus on what your doing.. but yep.. paying for studio time , well isn't cheap depending on the sort of music you want to make.

a musician friend of mine , says having the studio + home is a bit of a curse.. soo if you can divide up the time.. then cool

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Cakewalk - love it 2009/01/31 10:49:15 (permalink)
    I love it. No meter running, no rush to get something...anything.... done.

If .....at the end of the recording project I don't like it, I can scrap it without feeling like I'm flushing money down a hole..... and I can start again.

There's freedom in that.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Trist_Pat
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Cakewalk - love it 2009/01/31 13:09:35 (permalink)
    CRG, I suppose that I'll make that step at sometime. I know the MIDI capabilites are a primary key - but I confess I don't know the first thing about MIDI. I would like to integrate the Cakewalk Studio Instruments program more as a soft synth item in the VSTs, but I'm comfortable with the GTP interface, and I'm not sure if the learning curve on Sonar 8 would be overwhelming or what...

I'm not exactly scared of it, but I will take it a step at a time.. :)

Patrick Thompson - Bass/Vocals for The Trist, Sacramento, CA
    My Personal Soundclick Page
    The Trist Soundclick Page (my band)

rbecker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 740
    RE: Cakewalk - love it 2009/02/03 13:07:48 (permalink)

I've been involved in bands and music since early high school.. that puts me in the late '70s and early '80s.

Back then, when I wanted to record I broke out my Yamaha 4 Track cassette recorder and my Boss Dr. Rhythm DR550 drum machine.

When I discovered Guitar Tracks with it's much larger mutli-track capabilities, drag and drop drummer and built-in effects.. I was in hog heaven.
    [snip]

I'm of only a slightly older vintage than you...and I still have my Yamaha 4-track and drum machine, now gathering dust in a corner of an upstairs closet...

I am amazed by the capabilities of Cakewalk. Back when I was pounding out tunes on my piano and hearing the bass, drums, backing vocals only in my head...scoring my tunes for the cover band I played in and then getting only a couple run-throughs before moving on to our 'real' rehearsal... I never dreamed I would be able to do this. I only wish I had gotten on board sooner than I did... but life happened to me, I guess.

Now...with Cake, Melodyne and patience...I do okay and am having a great time.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
    RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
    Windows 10
    Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Cakewalk - love it 2009/02/03 18:22:54 (permalink)
    The Midi capabilities are small compared to the Audio and editing capabilities. The learning curve is whatever you make it.
    The improvements are quite substantial. But, no pressure, be happy.

Craig DuBuc
    wilson_inc
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Cakewalk - love it 2009/02/03 19:43:19 (permalink)
    cakewalk has saved me alot of money
    by not having to go to the "recording studio"

But i also want to say

that at the recording studio's i did recording or mixing at

I did not get my moneys worth from those who worked there

my opinion is there watching the clock too
    to drag out your session,go slow, not working the mix as efficently as they could have
    One guy tryed to sit there and train a intern on the program on my Dime?
    are you kiddin me? i put a stop to that right away and moved my project elsewhere
    some didn't know how to use all the gear they had, on and on etcc...
    am i picky? sure am
    they ask for top dollar and i paid it
    did they deliver top dollar service? in my opinion Nope

Cause you are on the clock to them- not as an Artist
    But as a Billable Hour-they don't care about your music-just your money--IMO
    and how much they can get from you

all which led me to buy Cakewalk Sonar 7 pe
    i can use this for years and it won't cost me another dime
    and if i chose not to buy another program ever

i'll always have the ability to record professional quality music the rest of my life
    with Sonar 7 PE
    because it's not only the program, it's your ability w/Cakewalk
    it's your computer,soundcard,speakers
    pro mikes,pro gear all around,a good room,talented players, and at least one good writer,
    arranger,lyricist in the group of musicians you work with
    and more power to those who can do it all by them selves
    to me more players give the music more "soul" or "heart" etc..

after 18 months i getting pretty good at Cakewalk to

But i not playing and writing as much cause i'm doing all the editing

but this made me re-evaluate my time

as in don't waste time trying to polish a mediocre song thats never going to be more
    than a shiny mediocre song.
    you can polish a turd if you want to? but why

so it's helped me to try to be honest with myself
    to only spend my limited time on good material

better to have one great tune

than 79 mediocre ones

So yes i'm very pleased with my Sonar 7 PE purchase

rock on
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Cakewalk - love it 2009/02/03 22:04:39 (permalink)

The upgrade to Guitar Tracks Pro 2 was a significant improvement.. and now recently I just got GTP3 (I know, behind the times) and for Christmas I received a PreSonus Firebox Digital Audio Device and with other Christmas money I bought an MXL Condensor Mic.

I'm still amazed at the quality of recording I am able to accomplish at home now.

Plus.. it is fun! Working with different mixdowns and effects, tweaking this and that.. that's my cup of tea.

So I just wanted to thank Cakewalk for making these awesome products..

Hear Hear!

+1

And frankly doing it for a whole lot less money than one would think even a few years ago. A full blow program of the richness of S8 would have cost many thousands of dollars a few years ago (Maya was over $3500), let alone the comparative cost of real instruments and studio time.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1