Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Walt Collins
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1054
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2004/05/09 07:58:02 (permalink)
When I started this thread, what I proposed wasn't supposed to apply to 95% of SONAR users (indeed, it doesn't even apply to me - I'm quite happy with the software!). We seem to have gotten off topic. Well here it is again:

Licenses that are used in an upgrade purchase are no longer valid. Barring that, users should be allowed to resell their license because circumstances, feelings, businesses, and finances all change over time, sometimes drastically and in ways you can't anticipate. There are many ways such transfers could be implemented with little or no cost to Cakewalk. Disallowing license transfers is unnecessarily restrictive, and may even hurt the company's bottom line.

Why is Cakewalk not doing this already, like most of the rest of the software industry?

Buying any expensive product is like getting married. Sure, you intend to love your partner, and you go to great lengths to seek counseling and work out your problems. But in the end, if it doesn't work out, what do you do? Religious zealots will say you stay with it until you die - you've made a lifelong pact. I happen to disagree here, and think that there are times when divorce is the most reasonable (and humane? ) culmination of marriage. This has obvious relevance to Cakewalk's resale policy.

The way Cakewalk's license transfer policy is written today, buying SONAR is like joining some fanatical religious group. Witness the preponderance of self-righteous responses in this thread! If you're a zealot you're fine, and can gang up on anyone who disagrees with your dogma because they're in the minority. And as we all know - the majority is always right!

But if something happens to sour your relationship with "the gods", then you better just shut up and sit in the corner. <----This is the problem.

Walt Collins - Downtempo & Ambient
Bandcamp: https://waltcollins.bandcamp.com (FREE downloads),  SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/arcanor
blog: "Seeking Enlightenment Through Electronic Music" - http://waltcollins.com/music
I use Ableton, NI, AAS, Arturia, Spectrasonics, Cakewalk, Akai, Yamaha, Fender, Sony, Waves
Windows 10, Tannoy, KRK, dbx DriveRack
C Hudson
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 990
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2004/05/09 11:12:51 (permalink)
Sorry Walt,
Didn't mean to get caught in the troll hunt.

My opinion is I certainly understand why cakewalk don't but I certainly would have no objection to licence transfers. I think they should have an associated administrative cost If the new user is to take part in upgrades though. Just my 2 cents...

Best

CH
Walt Collins
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2004/05/09 17:18:58 (permalink)
No problem CH, I'm just looking out for the little people!

Bandcamp: https://waltcollins.bandcamp.com (FREE downloads),  SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/arcanor
blog: "Seeking Enlightenment Through Electronic Music" - http://waltcollins.com/music
I use Ableton, NI, AAS, Arturia, Spectrasonics, Cakewalk, Akai, Yamaha, Fender, Sony, Waves
Akshara
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1139
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2004/05/10 03:52:33 (permalink)
Walt, part of me agrees with you here. It's an obvious argument you're making. However, I'm simply hesitant to encourage this kind of change as it might push Cakewalk into accepting a copy protection scheme that is really not welcomed. This has happened with other daw systems and plugins I've worked with, and it's getting a little out of hand in the industry in general. The current licensing system, however inconvenient, does seem to be working well enough that the honor system stays intact. Though a few people like yourself get stuck with the software, and piracy will happen to some degree no matter what, the current licensing setup is a really good one that I'd hate to see get messed up irrevocably.

It's still difficult for me to believe that if you were to call and speak with a manager at Twelve Tone, and articulate your concerns as you do here, that someone wouldn't be willing to accommodate you to a certain degree.
Walt Collins
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2004/05/10 07:46:30 (permalink)
I quote myself AGAIN here:

"I'M QUITE HAPPY WITH THE SOFTWARE!"

Let me paraphrase:

I don't want to transfer MY licenses for SONAR to anyone else. At least not right now. Maybe some day in the future, but as of now I have no interest in selling, nor do I have any reason at present to anticipate wanting to sell.

I only brought this topic up because the licensing restriction seemed weird, and I could imagine some circumstances in which I WOULD want to sell. But I'm not now, have never been, nor do I anticipate ever being in those circumstances.

As for copy protection, I personally have had no problems with any of my PACE software. I support Cakewalk's right to get all the money it earned by creating and successfully marketing such a wonderful product as SONAR. The fact that everyone here is paranoid about the potential for copy protection is, as far as I'm concerned, mostly more of that mob mentality dogma I referred to above. A handful of people have actually had a bad experience (almost exclusively on OLD and admittedly problematic versions of PACE), but a thousand times as many chant "NO PACE" in the streets because it's the cool thing to do in this community, even though they've not had any real problems themselves. And don't forget the word RECENTLY when talking about these "problems". New versions of PACE are better than old ones. With each new version, the old Anti-PACE hysteria becomes less of a reality and more of a technological Witch Hunt.

Akshara
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1139
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2004/05/10 11:57:37 (permalink)
I don't want to transfer MY licenses for SONAR to anyone else. At least not right now. Maybe some day in the future, but as of now I have no interest in selling, nor do I have any reason at present to anticipate wanting to sell.

I see... this was a speculative debate. Wasn't quite getting that, as it would seem to make sense that this was regarding a REAL situation.

In any event, I imagine that if someone were seriously unhappy with their purchase and contacted a manager at Twelve Tone, that they would try to work something out so that everybody was happy. Since nobody has actually tried that one, discussing the situation as if they wouldn't help is pointless.

As for copy protection, I personally have had no problems with any of my PACE software.

I personally have... lost an entire system once a couple years back to a Pace related situation that cost me quite a bit in time and money; and just recently had some issues at the first of the year after installing the latest Pace driver kit under a custom dual boot system that took about a week to get sorted out. Fortunately I have XP and Partition Magic and was able to re-configure the system without a complete OS reinstall, though it did require a few days of re-partitioning and re-installing the secondary operating system. Not fun.

If Sonar went Pace, I'd drop it in a heartbeat and use another solution. So would many others here.
PCantillon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 03:59:39 (permalink)
I know this is an old topic, but Cakewalk sales recommend I buy a second hand copy from ebay back in March of last year. The reason being it was no longer carried by Cakewalk (I wanted a version to run on Windows 98SE - 1.3.1 or 2.2 or whatever. Doesn't that rather contradict their stance of not transeferring ownership ?

Not sure it matters now, as I bought 1.0 and downloaded the patches to get ver 1.3.1 on EBAY, as they suggested.

Paul Cantillon
=========
http://www.cantillonmusic.co.uk
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 05:36:44 (permalink)
It's makes sense that exceptios (such as this) should be at their discretion. I fully understand and support their policies myself. And I'm glad they chose to help you....it could have gone very different.

bermuda
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 08:44:54 (permalink)
At the end of the day Cakewalk allows fully functional demos to allow people to assess whether the software is suitable for them.

At the end of the day a new user paying $599.00 from a legitimate web based retailer for the new full product is not killing themselves in terms of DAW cost, souncard, mixing desk, VST's etc.

$599.00 in comparison a bargain ! I paid $375 for a rompler !

Also purchasing the product gives you the rights to bargain basement upgrades and special offers from Cakewalk. $179 for the upgrade...cheap as chips !

If people resell their originals then cake don't get a slice of the pie from the $599.00 from a new user, but only potentially $179....but in my opinion, Cakewalk won't get that either as the secondhand buyer would wait to buy the second hand upgrade = Cakewalk getting zip!

The resale value of DAW software exists....it is called $$$$ paid by clients for studio time, the user selling their compositions whether through the internet or them being used for public broadcast, or the hours of pleasure you get from using it.

IMHO I think to ask for ability to resell old software is pants, when you buy into the software you are aware that you cannot resell it, if you visit the boards you are aware that you are not permitted to resell it...It's not like it's a surprise.

At the end of the day genuine distributors would be pissed off if Cakewalk allowed second hand sales....so certain parts of the world may lose access to the product.

Maybe Cakewalk should allow resale, but be contractually entitled to 1% of every peny that you make whilst using the software....how do you like that trade off.

Come on ... this debate has gone on for years.

If you don't like Cakewalks rules, then don't buy the product in the first place.....simple simple simple.

Please don't take offence to anything I said, it is not personal...it is aimed generally.

ALSO think about this.

If you resell a product so Cakewalk don't make money...why should Cakewalk provide Tech support to that new owner....surely the seller should now provide this ongoing tech support as that was part of your original purchase.

DOn't forget you buy alot more than what is on those discs and the manual when you buy a Cakewalk product.

post edited by bermuda - 2005/03/04 09:02:33

Yes.
kab
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 224
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 09:49:58 (permalink)
If you resell a product so Cakewalk don't make money...why should Cakewalk provide Tech support to that new owner....surely the seller should now provide this ongoing tech support as that was part of your original purchase.

DOn't forget you buy alot more than what is on those discs and the manual when you buy a Cakewalk product.

They should provide tech support for the same reason used cars often have transferrable warrantees.

When CW sells a copy of thier software, they've made thier money on it. What concern of thiers is it who's hands it gets to at that point? Have they now made less money due someone selling thier software to someone else? The answer is no.

No resale is a HUGE reason people pirate software. Who wants to get stuck with something they're less than 100% positive about?

Besides, lets take a poll... how many people here have actually used CW tech support? Or any official tech support? 99 times out of 100, its quicker to Google for resolutions than it is to wait for support.
post edited by kab - 2005/03/04 09:58:29

jeffn1
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 906
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 10:04:19 (permalink)
My personal opinion is I would rather have a no resale policy without a dongle, that allow resale with a dongle.

I know that is not the only choices, but that's my view and I am sticking with it!

jeffn1

If you would like to check out original progressive electronic rock, here it is:

http://www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness
bermuda
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 10:06:58 (permalink)
I'm with Jeff1 on this.

Yes.
ebinary
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 10:24:05 (permalink)

I'd fully support a 10% surcharge on the transfer of license, which would include eliminating the original serial number for updates and upgrades, and re-issuing the new one. Plenty of margin to make it profitable for Cakewalk from a labor and support view, I think.

Propellerhead Reason, for example, sells you the serial number. No dongles. It is transferable.

Eric

bermuda
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 10:27:16 (permalink)

They should provide tech support for the same reason used cars often have transferrable warrantees.

Yes a warantee generally covers if the vehicle is faulty... also tech support is about the users system setup ..various hardware and interfacing with 3rd party software, user understanding of the product and development issues.

With a car, Ford dont show up because you don't know how to make a right, or use a roundabout though!

No resale is a HUGE reason people pirate software. Who wants to get stuck with something they're less than 100% positive about?

that is why there is a DEMO TO DOWNLOAD, TO TRY BEFORE YOU BUY !!!!!!!!! Only a fool would put his/her system at risk.

Personally I would be less positive using a cracked copy...especially as one crack leads to another, which ultimately leads to viruses and goodbye PC stability.

Generally people use Cracked software because they cannot afford the real thing , because they think they are getting away with it, they are raging against the system and the evil large software makers....all of which as we know is complete piffle and self absorbed greed fueled paranoia

Yes.
Dickie
  • Total Posts : 1071
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 13:01:16 (permalink)
Just to put a spanner in the works (so to speak)

Apparently here in the UK the No sale EULA agreement goes against our statutary rights, and therefore is null and void
i.e. WE are allowed to resell Sonar over here in the UK, I think even Cakewalk accept this.

I will try to find the link..

Dickie
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
kylen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 578
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 13:55:37 (permalink)
Until Cakewalk decides to come into these types of discussions I don't have that much more to add than on other threads like this one. I can draw up scenerios for and against anything on the planet. I can be evangelistic about it and foam at the mouth - anything I like, hehe I'm a little busy right now though so any interested parties will just have to search for earlier foaming!

Until Cakewalk comes in here and says - the alternative to the current EULA is the dongle then we just won't know what they think - if they think dongle is a punishement or anything. The other idea about Cakewalk losing money because of a resale I don't believe either - they would have enlisted someone else into the fold - a reasonable transfer fee could be worked out to register interested parties - as opposed to losing them. The idea that the EULA can't be changed is not right either - according to the UK gentleman above me it varies thruout the World anyway. So until Cakewalk come is here we don't know. As opposed to some customers that want to block resale I'll stay on the side that wants to hear what Cakewalk has to say and provide them input in some future dialog.
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 14:13:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL:
Until Cakewalk comes in here and says - the alternative to the current EULA is the dongle then we just won't know what they think - if they think dongle is a punishement or anything.
So until Cakewalk come is here we don't know. As opposed to some customers that want to block resale I'll stay on the side that wants to hear what Cakewalk has to say and provide them input in some future dialog.

Actually, we DO know. It's all in the EULA. It's very clear what their policies and business preferences are.

I still think they are doing us very good services and providing excellent products with no hassle, plus top-notch Support, and this puts them MILES ahead of their counterparts.

If this changes, I personally will deal with that on it's own terms. For now, I will appreciate what I got

kylen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 578
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 16:07:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveJL
Actually, we DO know. It's all in the EULA. It's very clear what their policies and business preferences are.

If Cakewalk has any idea about changing EULA there are a lot of us that have provided and can provide input - that's what I'm saying. If you like it or don't have any input then that's fine too as that is certainly input itself.

For me - there's only 1 thing in my house that I can't resell that's Sonar. I can resell older versions of Cakewalk but not later ones. This shows that EULA does change and it may change again someday - if Cakewalk is looking for input I'm here and have comments on other threads about it also.
Strryder
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 426
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 16:14:14 (permalink)
This is my same reply to another thread on the subject..

I agree that when someone buys a Cakewalk upgrade, they are getting a great deal on it, this is of course strictly because they are already a customer, there is NO need whatsoever to sell off your old version, archive it on a shelf somewhere.

If people keep on with the selling of their old versions on ebay and whatnot, I would completely understand if Cakewalk made it an upgrade requirement that the old version had to be installed on the computer in order to install the upgrade, that right there would really end all this, wouldn't it?

I think that Cakewalk are being extremely customer friendly by sending out "full install" disks to upgrade customers, doing this makes it pretty easy to re-install a current version, this is something that they don't have to do, and by doing so they are again saving customers the cost of developing an "upgrade only" version of the program.

When you originally bought your Sonar license, you made an agreement with Cakewalk, then when you upgraded your Sonar license you "renewed" your agreement with them, be an adult and keep your agreement.
505Alive
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 16:23:59 (permalink)
you can't sell a car then keep using it without the new owner's permission.

If you sell Sonar you could continue to use it on your computer even though someone paid you for the disks & serial.

Unless you guys want dongles or ILok, this discussion is pointless. Cakewalk is very generous in trusting their users, opening up this can of worms is only going to make things more complicated.

#####---#####
D.Triny
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 870
RE: Start using a dongle! 2005/03/04 21:13:39 (permalink)
LEAVE IT AS IT IS!

agreed!!

-------------
David Abraham 
My Awesome Movie

jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 21:34:04 (permalink)
Friday 03.04.05

I think the non-transferable policy is very BAD business. For CW and for all of CW's customers.

The more people using CW products the more people are tied to CW's products.
The more people using CW's products the greater the reputation of CW products.

Other companies have done very well with managed license transfer.
Quickbooks has a process in place for license transfer. Sometimes requires a phone call.
But I have transferred twice. And I purchase the new version every year.
As now do the people I transferred old versions to.

Givens:

A transfer of possession of the software (CD, Manual,..) with a non-registered Serial number IS eligible
for upgrade pricing (The number has not be officially assigned by CW to a User/Owner.)

Upgrades are only available with valid, registered, Serial numbers

So:

A license transfer for a Serial number NOT used for an upgrade SHOULD be eligible for upgrade pricing

A license transfer for a Serial number already used for an upgrade should NOT be eligible for upgrade pricing
(The data for tracking this is already collected at time of upgrade purchase.)

Additional costs associated with license transfers:

1 Serial number Data base changes

2 Development of procedure for changing registered owner

3 Development of procedure for verifying registered serial number's eligibility

4 Ongoing support of the transfer process

5 Changes to User support procedures
(can be handled with 2 levels of support:
a original registered purchase
b transferred licenses )

6 Changes in the copy-protection scheme used by CW to prevent non-eligible upgrades.

Some of these costs will be recouped by paid-support calls from license transferees:
those that have not paid for support by purchasing a product at retail. )

Additional business value/revenue associated with license transfers:
1 broader user base
2 expanded awareness of cakewalk products (exponentially)
3 purchase of products at retail prices (users not eligible for upgrade pricing)

In the long term the opportunity for increased mind-share for CW far exceeds any short term costs and work associated with the changes.

(FYI: Peter Gabriel's response to pirating tapes/CDs of his music: (paraphrased) "I schedule concerts where piracy is greatest.")

J

Sid Viscous
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1532
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/04 22:23:46 (permalink)
You people keep screaming EULA like it really means something and like one gets a chance to read it before they buy the product. Can you post a link where Cake has the current EULA posted? What if one decides not that they can't accept the EULA? WAht then? DO they lose their money? Do you hate your fellow consumers so much that you think this right? I have no problem with Cakewalk not transfering ownership, but to stop a consumer from selling a product they bought is wrong. It is the same thing that was tried by the record companies twice and the movie indusrty once. Bet you don't mind selling a used CD or DVD do ya?
PCantillon
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2005/03/06 04:26:08 (permalink)
I didn't fully appreciate that any one would care either way. In actual fact, Cakewalk sales took so long to reply to my email that I bought it on EBAY anyway. So, no marks for customer service there, but they DID reply, so that's good.

And as for supporting Sonar 1.3.1 on Windows 98 SE... well. I feel fairly confident that they think someone in my position isn't worth supporting. I actually bought ver 1.0 - and without the upgrade patches to 1.3.1, it was unusable, it frequently hung while using the menus, requiring a reboot. Guess that tells us why version 1.0's of software should be avoided by all but the very techno brave.

If SONAR employed a dongle, I would not even have considered it. "Renting" the use of the software rather than purchasing it just sounds like a rip off, unless they were prepared to send an engineer round to personally sort out any timing problems you may have (like those I have, in fact).

Also, in a NAZI kind of way, a software house could turn round and say "version 2 is now illegal, those of you found using version 2 will be arrested and put under house arrest indefinately" Not that Cakewalk would ever do such a thing, of course.

Paul Cantillon
=========
http://www.cantillonmusic.co.uk
robbmiller
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2006/02/07 18:04:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: PCantillon

I know this is an old topic, but Cakewalk sales recommend I buy a second hand copy from ebay back in March of last year. The reason being it was no longer carried by Cakewalk (I wanted a version to run on Windows 98SE - 1.3.1 or 2.2 or whatever. Doesn't that rather contradict their stance of not transeferring ownership ?

Not sure it matters now, as I bought 1.0 and downloaded the patches to get ver 1.3.1 on EBAY, as they suggested.

Does Cakewalk care if you buy it on eBay? Look at these links:

Sonar 4 on eBay

Sonar 5 on eBay

These folks are selling dozens of these! Check the auctions associated with their feedback. To make matters more interesting, they are copies, not old originals – I verified this with the sellers themselves.

You would think if Cakewalk (Twelve Tones) cared about such activity they would stop it.

Perhaps they feel the inability to upgrade and receive tech support is sufficient.
Why else would they tell a user to buy it on eBay??
Dave Modisette
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11050
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2006/02/07 18:18:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 3chords

One idea might be for Cakewalk to allow users to re-sell their software. Cakewalk could then charge the new "owner" a reasonable fee to transfer registation. That way Cakewalk and Cakewalk customers would both benefit and it is likely that the new owner would upgrade to new Cakewalk products, etc in the future. I have purchased Homestudio 2004 and Guitar Tracks Pro 2 in the past, then upgraded to Sonar 3 Producer, recently. It would be great to sell Homestudio 2004 and Guitar Tracks Pro 2. I would probably turn around and put the $ right back into Cakewalk products, anyway.
I would like to see this happen too. I'd love to even donate my previous version to someone like a student and pay the license transfer myself. That way, I could lead by example and then they wouldn't get into the practice of downloading it from a warez site.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
Quasar
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2006/02/07 18:38:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: yep

I manage a company that, among other things, makes software. There is no sane business reason in the world for most companies to sell transferrable licences of software. The only copy of sonar that really costs cakewalk any money to produce is the very first copy of sonar they ever print. They price all the other copies to subsidize that first copy, hoping that, if they find the right price point, enough people will pay for it to pay for all of the expert time that went into the design, writing, and debugging of the incredibly complex code that takes teams of experts to make. If you decide to abandon Sonar, you are no longer a customer or even a user of their software and there is no business reason in the world for cakewalk to want to keep you happy. If you are not currently a customer of cakewalk software but want to buy software that cakewalk made at a cheaper rate from someone who already bought it, there is no reason in the world for cakewalk to give up even a moment's time to help you learn and set up your software. you are talking about a transaction between two non-paying customers that cake makes ZERO (or close to zero) money off of.
This is not like selling a car or a TV. Ford or Sony priced their margins into the cost of that unit, respectively. It costs, say, $12k for parts and labor to make your Taurus and they charge $14k for it, which covers the dealer, the distribution, and the profits that keep ford in business.
Your copy of sonar cost, maybe, say, five dollars to make?
But the first copy might have cost, I dunno, half a million? seven million? a quarter-million? twelve million? I have no idea. But cakewalk, right or wrong, came up with a pricing structure that meant that the whole cost of producing it would be amortized over the number of buyers that they figure will pay a given price for it. That's how software works. That's why you don't own it, you just buy a licence to use it. That's why you can't resell it. The CD that you got is not the product. It's the information on that CD. That inforamtion is infinitely reproduceable, but not infinitely recreateable. Not even close.
There are freeware alternatives to sonar if you don't like cakewalk's licening policies. most of them are not nearly as good. That's because they're freeware.
Cheers.

Well said. When one looks at the broad panorama of software marketing strategies, copy protection schemes, upgrade paths, etc., the current Cakewalk model is as good as it gets. I vote to leave well enough alone. CW should be lauded for treating its customer base as generously as it does.
Rednroll
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 537
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2006/02/07 19:02:54 (permalink)
Well, I just have to laugh at some of the responses in this thread. Unfortunately, I didn't take the time to read all of them. It just tickles my funny bone how certain users are more concerned with Cakewalk's well being than their own. Maybe I'm just selfish that way, but when I purchase a product I better damn well be able to sell it. Like all products I purchase, the value of it will diminish over time, so the longer I use the product the less value it will have for resale value since their will be a bigger and better version of that product available. If I use that product and decide I really don't like it even after I went thru the demo time, because something else turns my head and someone else finds value in that product that I own for their needs, then I should have every right to sell them the product I purchased.

As far as how it can be done???? Well, Sony Media software seems to be able to do it with ALL their software. No dongles, No Pace, No Ilok, just serial number registration, thru internet activation or phone activation. And if by chance you don't have access to a phone or internet connection when you install it, the software will fully function for 30 days with just the serial number provided. It can also be installed and registered on up to 5 different PC's at the same time. I know I use at least 3 different PC's, but I'm not using them all at the same time....I sure would hate to unregister/reregister just to walk into another room and use the same software. Oh, and their software all costs less or comparitively priced to Sonar. Thanks for the new Acid 6 release headed our way, I will no longer be effected by Cakewalk's selfish money grab policy and still have a product that has multitrack audio, loop sequencing, and midi sequencing features and be able to sell it. Heck, Sony even allows you to sell your old copy once you upgrade to a newer version. That transferred copy just doesn't allow the person who bought it to purchase at the upgrade price since that's already been used by yourself. Somehow Sony manages to do all this with a staff probably much smaller than Cakewalk and have done so since the Sonic Foundry days. But feel free to make excuses for Cakewalk. They're probably all sitting back and reading this laughing their arses off of how users are arguing for them on their behalf, while they don't have to make any kind of public statement one way or the other.

I truly laugh at the viewpoint that Cakewalk's policy is the best out there. Some people just need to get out of the house more often I guess and look around. Sure there's lots of policies that are worse than Cakewalk's, but I've seen a lot better also.
post edited by Rednroll - 2006/02/07 19:16:53
illin_noise
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: Cakewalk "no resale" policy should be changed 2006/02/07 19:21:01 (permalink)
What a long read!

IMHO, not being able to resell a license is absurd. One should be able to resell Sonar just like they would a Triton Workstation. The developer/manufacturer has no RIGHT to make money off of subsequent sales. Whether you're writing software (which I've done), development hardware (been there too), or hell, even producing a food product, there are development costs. They recoup these costs with multiple sales just like GM or Audi. Cakewalk should only support one license and it's upgrades REGARDLESS of whether it's resold. This has nothing to do with DONGLES or good prices. There should be equity in the license. What if Sony told you that sending in that registration card meant you couldn't resell your Playstation?

As was mentioned earlier, if you pass on the CD's, documentation, and uninstall you have passed on the product and the means to use it. Just like seling that old Ford Pinto....or do we all still have AMC Gremlins broken down (installed) in our driveways.

Having said that, I will continue to use the best tool for the job, which for me is Sonar + Reason.

Cha-Lee
http://www.soundclick.com/futurehotproductions (please try soundclick first ;)
www.futurehot.com
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1