LockedCakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters

Author
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
2010/03/24 10:15:46 (permalink)

Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters

Every year at this time, Cakewalk travels to Frankfurt, Germany to attend Europe’s largest music trade show event, Musikmesse. This year, we are pleased to announce a new addition to the V-Studio product family, the V-Studio 20!

The V-Studio 20 is the third member of the V-Studio line of hardware/software products by Cakewalk and Roland.  The VS-20 is a simple recording solution for guitarists and singer-songwriters who want a simple way to start making music on the computer with access to incredible tones. Combining the simplicity of a portable hardware recording system with the power, flexibility, and control of modern computer-based recording, the VS-20 is ideal either at home or on the road, and lets users easily plug in a guitar or mic and record to a computer with legendary BOSS tones.

The VS-20 features:

- A Stereo USB Audio Interface (Mac/Win)
- Onboard BOSS-powered COSM DSP effects for Guitar & Vocals (Mac/Win)
- The VS-20 Effects Editor (Mac/Win) and Guitar Tracks recording software (Win)
- A universal DAW control surface (Mac/Win, via Mackie control protocol)

The software-based V-Studio 20 Effects Editor is at the heart of the VS-20, providing genuine BOSS effects and COSM-modeled amplification for direct recording and performance. It also provides guitarists unprecedented feel through latency-free performance. The included Guitar Tracks software provides guitarists and singer/songwriters a powerful tool for recording, editing, mixing, finalizing, and sharing music. As as added plus for those on the road, the V-Studio 20's included software is optimized for use with netbooks!

For more information, images, and videos on the new V-Studio 20, check out our product page:
http://www.cakewalk.com/products/v-studio/default.aspx?Prod=VS-20

post edited by Kate Watt [Cakewalk] - 2010/03/24 10:16:56

20 Replies Related Threads

jinkskgpt
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/03/24 14:51:52 (permalink)
    Any idea of a ball park figure on the MSRP for the VS-20?
    Samara Krugman
    SONAR REAC
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/03/24 15:32:19 (permalink)
    Hi jinkskgpt,

The V-Studio 20 will have a street price of $299 USD and will be widely available this May (US only).
    We do not have pricing for other areas. Please check with your local Roland rep to get your local price and availability.

Cheers,

Samara Krugman
    Product Manager
    Cakewalk
    navyasw02
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/03/29 22:17:34 (permalink)
    Looks pretty interesting.  Are the faders motorized?  I'm guessing at this price point, they're not.  If they were, I'd probably sell my VS-100 and get this.     
    Robin Kelly [Roland]
    Genuinely Swell Guy
    • Total Posts : 571
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/03/30 04:32:46 (permalink)
    The faders are not motorized, no need to sell your VS-100. :-)

That's my blog
    Omnia illa et ante fiebant, Omnia illa et rursus fient.
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/03/30 10:48:15 (permalink)
    Onboard BOSS-powered COSM DSP effects for Guitar & Vocals (Mac/Win)

I looked at the list of effects, but didn't see the Boss RE-20 (the RE-201 emulation) on there anywhere.  If it had that, I'd a bought it in a heartbeat.
    jinkskgpt
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/03/31 10:36:11 (permalink)
    Samara Krugman

Hi jinkskgpt,

The V-Studio 20 will have a street price of $299 USD and will be widely available this May (US only).
    We do not have pricing for other areas. Please check with your local Roland rep to get your local price and availability.

Cheers,

Samara;
        Will it be available on-line before May?

Samara Krugman
    SONAR REAC
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/03/31 13:31:11 (permalink)
    jinkskgpt

Samara Krugman

Hi jinkskgpt,

Cheers,

Samara;
       Will it be available on-line before May?

Hi Jinkskgpt,

If you're in the U.S, you can pre-order it now through Sweetwater.com, and possibly other online outlets (I haven't checked). For other countries best to check with your local Roland/Cakewalk rep. When dealers will have it in stock to ship depends on how the first units are being allocated. If you call the dealers directly they may have concrete dates.

Cheers,

Samara Krugman
    Product Manager
    Cakewalk
    jimfogle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/03/31 14:00:12 (permalink)
    An exciting package!

Will the VS-20 hardware operate in a standalone mode without using the USB connection?
    Can the hardware operate using batteries or an ac adaptor for power?
    Does the hardware have memory storage capability?
    I guess what I'm asking is MUST the hardware be connected to a computer to operate or can it be used as a standalone player\recorder?

Jim Fogle
    fogle622@yahoo.com
    Samara Krugman
    SONAR REAC
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/03/31 16:04:11 (permalink)
    jimfogle

An exciting package!

Will the VS-20 hardware operate in a standalone mode without using the USB connection?
    I guess what I'm asking is MUST the hardware be connected to a computer to operate or can it be used as a standalone player\recorder?

Jim Fogle
    fogle622@yahoo.com
    Hi Jim,

The VS-20 hardware needs to be connected to a computer via USB for power. And also to access the hardware DSP COSM chip for the COSM effects. The hardware has no memory storage capability as it is designed to be used with a computer.

Hope this helps,

Samara Krugman
    Product Manager
    Cakewalk
    kurrykid
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 309
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/03/31 22:26:54 (permalink)
    Samara Krugman

jimfogle

An exciting package!

Jim Fogle
    fogle622@yahoo.com
    Hi Jim,

The VS-20 hardware needs to be connected to a computer via USB for power. And also to access the hardware DSP COSM chip for the COSM effects. The hardware has no memory storage capability as it is designed to be used with a computer.

Hope this helps,

That's really a shame.  Too bad there's not an SD card and some batteries so that you could get a quick recording without having to fire up a PC.  
    Living Room Rocker
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 675
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/04/01 10:59:04 (permalink)
    After reading the specs and features, I am very impressed.  At just under a foot wide and under 2 lbs, this is a totally cool product, Cakewalk.

Considering weight and size, it would be pretty cool to have such a device for quick access as Jim described.  I realize that the VS-100 would be the alternate option, but the VS-20 seems so convenient and with ease-of-use, full featured controls.

I am really considering this for my next purchase and as an excellent Christmas gift idea for others.  Gee, I am getting excited already.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

mtkelleher
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/04/11 21:27:57 (permalink)
    This may be a dumb question,  but I'll ask it anyway.  I'm a happy Sonar Home Studio User.  While it's mentioned that the VS-20 will act as a controller surface with "any" DAW,  can you tell me is it fairly well integrated with Sonar Home Studio?  What I mean is,  would the same features and capabilities be available in Sonar as they would in the included "guitar tracks" software?  Specifically,  I'd like to know if transport control works,  using faders to record automation,  and whether the "arm" buttons on the tracks will indeed arms track for recording in Sonar.

Thanks,

Mike

Samara Krugman
    SONAR REAC
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/04/12 09:36:35 (permalink)
    mtkelleher

This may be a dumb question,  but I'll ask it anyway.  I'm a happy Sonar Home Studio User.  While it's mentioned that the VS-20 will act as a controller surface with "any" DAW,  can you tell me is it fairly well integrated with Sonar Home Studio?  What I mean is,  would the same features and capabilities be available in Sonar as they would in the included "guitar tracks" software?  Specifically,  I'd like to know if transport control works,  using faders to record automation,  and whether the "arm" buttons on the tracks will indeed arms track for recording in Sonar.

Thanks,

Mike
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the question. Yes, you can use the VS-20 as a controller in SONAR Home Studio. You would set it up the same way you would set up any other control surface.

The transport controls, track faders, track group (banking), and track select buttons all work. You can select AND arm audio tracks with the Track Select buttons on the VS-20. You can only select MIDI and Instrument Tracks with the Track Select buttons. This is because of how the control surface was originally designed to work with Audio Tracks in Guitar Tracks.

Just about everything else works as well; the COSM button to access the VS-20 Effects Editor, Tuner button, Input Selection buttons and use the DAW Output knob on the hardware to control your Master out.

Hope this helps,

Samara Krugman
    Product Manager
    Cakewalk
    mtkelleher
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/04/13 21:01:32 (permalink)
    Samara Krugman

mtkelleher

Thanks,

Mike
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for the question. Yes, you can use the VS-20 as a controller in SONAR Home Studio. You would set it up the same way you would set up any other control surface.

The transport controls, track faders, track group (banking), and track select buttons all work. You can select AND arm audio tracks with the Track Select buttons on the VS-20. You can only select MIDI and Instrument Tracks with the Track Select buttons. This is because of how the control surface was originally designed to work with Audio Tracks in Guitar Tracks.

Just about everything else works as well; the COSM button to access the VS-20 Effects Editor, Tuner button, Input Selection buttons and use the DAW Output knob on the hardware to control your Master out.

Thanks for the reply,  Samara.  I promise I'm not trying to be dense (well.....maybe I am dense) but I'm not sure I'm following you.  You say that "you can select and arm audio tracks with the Track Select buttons",  but then in the next sentence,  you say that "you can only select MIDI and Instrument Tracks with the Track Select buttons". 

I guess I'm trying to figure out:  if I'm recording a live guitar track and I'm using the Transport controls to record/playback/rewind and I want to add a second guitar track,  but on an adjacent track,  could I use the Track Select buttons to "disarm" the track I just laid down,  and also "arm" another empty track so that I can just press RECORD and start playing immediately?

Also,  you mention that the COSM effects will work in Sonar Home Studio as well.  Does this include the "re-amp" option?  That seems like a really cool feature,  and it would sure be nice to have that as an option.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Samara Krugman
    SONAR REAC
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/04/15 12:56:56 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply,  Samara.  I promise I'm not trying to be dense (well.....maybe I am dense) but I'm not sure I'm following you.  You say that "you can select and arm audio tracks with the Track Select buttons",  but then in the next sentence,  you say that "you can only select MIDI and Instrument Tracks with the Track Select buttons". 

I guess I'm trying to figure out:  if I'm recording a live guitar track and I'm using the Transport controls to record/playback/rewind and I want to add a second guitar track,  but on an adjacent track,  could I use the Track Select buttons to "disarm" the track I just laid down,  and also "arm" another empty track so that I can just press RECORD and start playing immediately?

Also,  you mention that the COSM effects will work in Sonar Home Studio as well.  Does this include the "re-amp" option?  That seems like a really cool feature,  and it would sure be nice to have that as an option.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Hi Mike,

No worries.

"...if I'm recording a live guitar track and I'm using the Transport controls to record/playback/rewind and I want to add a second guitar track,  but on an adjacent track,  could I use the Track Select buttons to "disarm" the track I just laid down,  and also "arm" another empty track so that I can just press RECORD and start playing immediately?"

Yes. It seems from your description above you would only be working with audio tracks so the Track Select behavior would be the same between Cakewalk applications. There are behavior differences for the Track Select button between the different *types* of tracks (audio, MIDI, Instrument) when the VS-20 is used as a control surface in other Cakewalk applications. I was only pointing out the differences for the viewing audience. Sorry if it confused you. :)

"Also,  you mention that the COSM effects will work in Sonar Home Studio as well.  Does this include the "re-amp" option?  That seems like a really cool feature,  and it would sure be nice to have that as an option."

Yes, you can use the reamp function with Home Studio (or SONAR or Guitar Tracks Pro, etc) as well since it is part of the VS-20 Effects Editor. 

The VS-20 Effects Editor is a standalone application that is run along side your DAW to control the COSM DSP chip in the hardware. It isn't a VST or a plug-in. In fact you can run the VS-20 Effects Editor by itself without *any* DAW open if you just wanted to noodle around and listen to the sounds, etc.

Hope this helps, 

Samara Krugman
    Product Manager
    Cakewalk
    ionu
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/04/15 19:20:18 (permalink)
    I'm sorry for posting such noob questions.. But I am planning on getting this device so I would like to know..

> Is it possible to plug a loop pedal into it?
    > I watched the Charlie O'Neal demo video where he refers to playing along ''backing tracks''. Wich is one of the cool features that I would like to use. So is it possible to change the default backing tracks too, or add diferent ones?

Thank you in advance.
    Samara Krugman
    SONAR REAC
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/04/16 09:47:51 (permalink)
    ionu

I'm sorry for posting such noob questions.. But I am planning on getting this device so I would like to know..

> Is it possible to plug a loop pedal into it?
    > I watched the Charlie O'Neal demo video where he refers to playing along ''backing tracks''. Wich is one of the cool features that I would like to use. So is it possible to change the default backing tracks too, or add diferent ones?

Thank you in advance.
    Hello ionu,

There is a footswitch connection and an expression pedal connection on the VS-20 hardware. You can use a dual footswitch (such as the BOSS FS-6) or a single footswitch. You can assign a number of actions to the footswitch including transport control, previous/next preset, etc.

Regarding the backing tracks; the VS-20 includes about 1 GB of audio and MIDI loops in a variety of genres that you can use in your Guitar Tracks projects. You can use any combination of these loops in your project.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Samara Krugman
    Product Manager
    Cakewalk
    ionu
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/04/24 01:22:14 (permalink)
    Thank you Samara.

But I've got another noob question though..

If I record both my guitar and mic at the same time, instead of as shown in the demo videos, where bass, guitar and vocals are recorded one at a time, will it be all on the same track? ..Or guitar and vocals on two separate tracks?

Thanks again for your help.
    Samara Krugman
    SONAR REAC
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/04/26 11:20:28 (permalink)
    ionu

Thank you Samara.

But I've got another noob question though..

If I record both my guitar and mic at the same time, instead of as shown in the demo videos, where bass, guitar and vocals are recorded one at a time, will it be all on the same track? ..Or guitar and vocals on two separate tracks?

Thanks again for your help.
    Hello ionu,

When you record the Guitar and Vocals using Simultaneous Record mode (press both MIC 2 and GUITAR/BASS at the same time), they will be recorded on two separate tracks.

Hope this helps,

Samara

Samara Krugman
    Product Manager
    Cakewalk
    ionu
    Re:Cakewalk's Portable Recording Solution for Guitarists & Singer-Songwriters 2010/04/26 21:29:50 (permalink)
    Thanks again for your help Samara.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1