Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!)

Author
Ona
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 228
2005/02/21 22:38:02 (permalink)

Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!)

Boys and girls, Mr. Russell went all out in making this a steamy number. That upon which I just tip-toed, he unloaded both barrels.
Staggered -- CALAMITY POP MIX

I'm really impressed, Paul... thank you!!!!!!!!

I need a cigarette.

21 Replies Related Threads

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/21 23:22:32 (permalink)
    Ok, this is really something. Paul has done an exceptional job with this. I really like the original voice and piano simplicity, but this one is very hypnotic and captivating. Really well done.
    hornplayer
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1024
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/22 02:00:45 (permalink)
    Hey Paul and Ona:

Very good! Musically, I really like what you've done with this. In fact, I think this is my favorite version so far. My only constructive comment is: I'd like to hear just a bit more definition in the bass.

This is really cool! Thanks for sharing.

stuartsmithmusic
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 970
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/22 03:22:46 (permalink)
    thats just not fair!

it's absolutely stunning!

paul russell rock trip hop! awesome stuff man,

and awesome vocal performance Ona.

i'm so jealous!
    sfripp
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/22 05:57:58 (permalink)
    That was pretty full-on! Excellent use of FX....How it was done is beyond me...Paul! I want an explanation!

E6600 Core2Duo, 2gigC4 corsair,
    Asus P5B, LynxII, 3xWD250Gig SATAII
    BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    MightyLeeMoon
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/22 06:17:37 (permalink)
    Damn! Excellent, Paul! Sneaker Pimps meets Hooverphonic turned Ona Meyer goodness. If this is any indication what an album would be like if the two of you collaborated on one....well....I would do everything I can to urge more of this!

This version is probably my new favorite forum song.

i throw my self into the arms of that which will betray me.
    i guess to see how far providence will stoop down, just to save me
    http://www.myspace.com/akinderbiography
    http://www.myspace.com/leeneitzel
    rossipsu1
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/22 09:50:16 (permalink)
    Frickin' Awesome...

I'd stop the presses now and run with this one.
    post edited by rossipsu1 - 2005/02/23 07:21:26
    danhazer
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2053
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/22 09:56:03 (permalink)
    This is, in my opinion the best version of the song. It retains the ethereal, angelic and sensual aspects of the original yet at the same time it's much bolder than the "Bolder" mix.

- Very good.

Thanks,

Dan Monaghan
    rgfors
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1068
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/22 15:39:42 (permalink)
    I've been following the various versions of this Ona, and this is by far and away is the ONE!

Terrific job on the vocals, very emotional.. Now get rid of the censored sign!!

Randy
    Listen to my "stuff" at:
    http://www.21st-parallel.com
    View my pictures at:
    http://www.justshootmestudios.com
    RockMaestro
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1245
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/22 15:48:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ona
    Boys and girls, Mr. Russell went all out in making this a steamy number. That upon which I just tip-toed, he unloaded both barrels.

It's my favourite mix of this song yet. Don't really like the some of the drum sounds - that snare doesn't have enough low-end punch and sustain, it's too snappy for my liking. Or maybe it's too loud.

I like the echo things at the ends of the verses.

But overall, it's a great song so the remix gets a head start.
    Ona
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/22 20:12:00 (permalink)
    Thanks, guys. I think Paul needs to step over here and take a bow.

You're a mean one, Mr. Rossi.

And Randy, I needed the splash of color.

Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/23 04:25:42 (permalink)
    I think Paul needs to step over here and take a bow.

Ok, I'll bite
    But all I've done is arrange a very 'hot' song. (with lines like 'what you want to do to me might come true' and 'hold me down', what else could it be?).

I just wanted to provide a bit more space so that the lyrics could come out a bit, so the Massive Attack / Bomb The Bass bass-heavy trip hop style seemed ideal for this song. I started the remix at 5am Sunday morning (insomniac) and it was more or less finished by noon as I had to be at a boozy birthday bash by 1pm. The following morning before work I tracked the guitar (through a Boss GX700) and then sent Ona the first mix for approval. It was that quick because I already knew what I wanted to do, so I spent less time experimenting with stuff and just went straight for the jugular.

For those interested in how it was done, here's a short run-down

First I walloped in a new rhythm section with Stylus RMX, the main drum track coming from the Backbeat expansion pack, which Ed might recognise. Additional percussion is also RMX, chopping breakdown mixes from the Liquid Grooves and Metamorphosis expansion packs. I added some two bar 'breaks' to make the choruses stand out a bit more too.

Ona's main vocal track was put through PSP Nitro on Gentle Chorus preset, but with a very thin mix so that it was only subtle, and then into Vintage Warmer. The backing vocals had a touch of Cakewalk chorus on them. I chopped a big lump (-6dB) of 2-4K out of Ona's original tracks as these frequencies were biting on me. The EQ dip had the effect of giving her more 'air' and making the vocal more spacious. By feeding all the vox into a bus with Voxengo's Pristine space using the 'Vocal Magic' impulse, we were able then to get a very strong, clear 'R&B' style shimmering sound that cut through the bass lines and other instrumentation.

By taking out the piano I removed almost all the frequencies that were clashing with Ona, so that meant she didn't have to be very loud to stand out.

I actually played the bass (well there's a novelty), through a Bass Pod Pro, with three FX on it in this order, Sonitus Compressor, Gate, Sonitus Multiband Compressor, Waves RBass. That's how we get that big reggae bass sound. It's lost a bit of definition on the bass runs in the chorus (Charley's ears are spot on as usual), but that's ok for this kind of genre. I also cut the bass into loops so that I could easily small errors in timing. This meant I was able to lay down the bass within three run-throughs of the song, two for rehearsal and one for recording.

The pads are a layer of three patches from Sampletank (can't remember which ones), with Ntonyx Style Enhancer on the main midi track to give them a bit of expression. They're also fed through the Voxengo Vocal Magic impulse.

The echoes are the most complex parts of the piece. Most of them are the free VST 'Bionic Delay', which is a great little tape echo simulator that is highly automatable. I had two of these running on seperate buses, with extensive automation envelopes to control the feedback and mix of each one. This kind of technique has been around since Lee Perry changed the sound of Jamaican reggae in the 70's, and still very popular with fans of this kind of music, myself included. Soon we'll be giving away our Club Remix album of Pop Friction on Sonarama, so look out for a lot of it on that particular piece.

The 2nd Bionic Delay bus was also fed through the PSP84 (Transmitter preset) to add a bit more mystery, and then the Project 5 modfilter to get those weird tempo based sweeps on the echoes. I spent more time playing with these echoes and their automation that any other instrument in the mix.

The whole track was exported from SONAR in 24bit 44.1KH and then mastered in Soundforge using the Waves C4 compressor, Timeworks EQ to give a bit more presence at the top end from 5K upwards and Waves L2 to dither and pump up the volume to around -12dB RMS.

Glad to hear everyone likes it. It's a great song and big thanks to Ona for letting me play with one of her babies. Lee's idea of a collaborative album sounds like a good one. Could probably have it finished by Friday

post edited by Paul Russell - 2005/02/23 05:17:53

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

stuartsmithmusic
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/23 04:37:04 (permalink)
    in short.

Paul Russell Rocks!
    MightyLeeMoon
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/23 07:02:15 (permalink)
    Could probably have it finished by Friday

Friday?

Slacker!

i throw my self into the arms of that which will betray me.
    i guess to see how far providence will stoop down, just to save me
    http://www.myspace.com/akinderbiography
    http://www.myspace.com/leeneitzel
    michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/23 09:21:29 (permalink)
    very, very nice Ona.
    Thanks for keeping us abreast of things.

The song is great too. <g>

post edited by michael japan - 2005/02/23 10:40:03

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/23 12:00:22 (permalink)
    Stylus RMX, ... which Ed might recognise.
    I did, but you've used it very creatively. Thanks for the great info, Paul, I'll be tucking this away in my notes!

What I like is that this is a brand new song. Now I can happily say I really like both of them.
    post edited by ed_mcg - 2005/02/23 12:18:34
    SteveD
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2831
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/23 13:32:04 (permalink)
    I'm a fan...

of both Ona AND Paul.

Excellent work!

SteveD
    DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
    jbraner
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1830
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/23 15:04:10 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, I haven't followed the different versions of this song - but this one is Excellent!!

Well done, Ona and Paul.

If you -really- want a little constructive criticism, I'd run the harmony notes at 2:50 and 3:04 (it's the same note, both times around) through an autotuner to change them. They're not out of tune, but my ear is saying that the harmony note isn't "right" at the beginning of that phrase. (sorry, I'm not offering any suggestions here - just typing a quick reply)

That is a *tiny* point though, and I'm glad I stopped by to hear this

John Braner
    https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
    - Cakewalk by BandLab x64
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    - Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
    - MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
    I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
    er - that's it I think...
    Sonic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1517
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/23 15:45:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveD

I'm a fan...

of both Ona AND Paul.

Excellent work!

Kiss ass!
    Looks like I'll have to go a totally different direction than planned with my remix. DOH!
    Time for something you can dance to...

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
    A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
    rossipsu1
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/23 17:37:25 (permalink)
    Looks like I'll have to go a totally different direction than planned with my remix. DOH!

I smell song contest. She already has 2 very good remixes, and I'm sure Sonic's will be a different direction and just as good, and then the original.

6 more remixes and you've got 10 songs for an album.
    stuartsmithmusic
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/23 17:44:49 (permalink)
    lol, i could do a complaint rock version.
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: Calamity Pop / Paul Russell's rendition of "Staggered" (!!!) 2005/02/23 17:47:21 (permalink)
    Very nice mix, Paul. I would not say it is 100% there though, but close.

The only thing I hear is the low end boominess of the bass due to the ambience. Control that boominess and you will have a winner. The tune would still work with a much drier low end. It would probably have a bit more punch to it as well.

Still..... A great sounding mix.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1