Calamity Project Electronica

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Paul Russell
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3892
2005/07/24 08:13:03 (permalink)

Calamity Project Electronica

this is more of a test of the new studio layout and getting back into using SONAR again.
It's a modal piece in G minor, with plenty of Stylus and Adrenallin, layering up the polyrhythms and fx. It won't be everyone's cup of tea as it doesn't really go anywhere, but you might find it interesting, especially if there's a lit dooby nearby.

It's called Nagraan 14, which means it might one day end up on a special project album.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/calamitypop_music.htm
post edited by Paul Russell - 2005/07/24 12:54:33

Paul Russell 
Calamity Studio and on Facebook

42 Replies Related Threads

stuartsmithmusic
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 970
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/24 08:23:55 (permalink)
    sound great man.

you havent lost ya touch. how do ya do it!!
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/24 10:23:37 (permalink)
    Cool groove. I'm still hearing Bill Laswell / Material in these Nagraan pieces; except this one's a little more up tempo. But, that's a good thing.
    DanoInTexas
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/24 10:37:55 (permalink)
    Soundclick must be down.

Page cannot be displayed message.

I will try again, though.
    Paul Russell
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/24 12:53:15 (permalink)
    Hi Ed

thought you might like it, but my primitive bass playing ain't a patch on your own virtuoso work. Bill Laswell's not a bad comparison, but all of this track is live, no loops except for the horns, which are heavily doctored anyway. I'd never heard of Bill until a few months ago and I still haven't heard a full CD of his, so I guess I should check it out.

Paul Russell 

DanoInTexas
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/24 13:07:09 (permalink)
    Cool. Funky.Electric..

And it seems all instruments are represented!

Good background music
    Paul Russell
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/24 13:09:53 (permalink)
    And it seems all instruments are represented!
    Hey, I left out the 30 piece orchestra this time! I'm trying to moderate

Hi, my name's paul and it's 20 days since I've used a strings sample. One day at a time.

Paul Russell 

Grünfeld
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 251
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/24 16:49:39 (permalink)
    Good groove. Lovely bass too. Right up my street musically.

I thought all the sounds worked very nicely except the horns and the offbeat keys that come in at 1:17 -- they just sounded a bit too synthetic for what is actually a very organic groove.

Oli

PS -- big fan of Bill Laswell and the stuff he did with Jah Wobble. (My most recent tune "Olga Dub" was very Wobble inspired as it goes but I don't think it really went down that well here )
    post edited by Grünfeld - 2005/07/24 16:54:55
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/24 18:18:08 (permalink)
    Great groove! Very nice Paul, as always...

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    Sonic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1517
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/24 19:22:34 (permalink)
    Pretty cool, dude. Don't know if I'd classify it as electronica though. Actually, I don't know what I'd classify it as! Fun to listen to, and I'm sure it was fun to create!
    You're wierd.

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
    A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
    ed_mcg
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/24 21:04:16 (permalink)
    You know, even though Zuq's voice is distintive and excellent, I'm more draw to you Nagraan projects.

This got me thinking that a West African fretless groove (a la Baghiti Khumalo) might go well with this kind of material. Let me know if you'd like to try something like that. Could be fun.
    Paul Russell
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/24 21:23:37 (permalink)
    thanks all, comments about the horn breakdown are valid and in the cold light of day today I can hear that I still have some work to do on that section.
    The bass is real, btw, played through a PODXT Pro with a split dry signal, then the two signals mixed to varying degrees depending on the section of the track.

You're wierd.
    it has been said before.

Paul Russell 

Paul Russell
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/24 21:26:46 (permalink)
    You know, even though Zuq's voice is distintive and excellent, I'm more draw to you Nagraan projects.
    They're a lot easier to do than songs with lyrics, especially when I often have to wait up to 6 months to get a vocal track down. They also reflect the kind of material I'm listening to more at the moment, which is a pretty eclectic mix of stuff.
    This got me thinking that a West African fretless groove (a la Baghiti Khumalo) might go well with this kind of material. Let me know if you'd like to try something like that. Could be fun.
    I have no idea who Baghiti Khumalo is but if you want to lay down some bass on this track I'd be more than happy to collaborate with ya.

Paul Russell 

Paul Russell
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/25 13:25:39 (permalink)
    OK I've taken all the comments on board and redone the horn based middle8, so if anyone's interested, the new version is now up at soundclick.

Paul Russell 

ed_mcg
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/26 15:33:41 (permalink)
    I like the sound of the horns on this; the cluster punches nicely. Your bass playing is really solid on this, right on point.

"Look-a-dat" matches the drum motif. You planned that, didn't you ;-)
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/26 16:23:47 (permalink)
    Thank you for the post, Paul. I really enjoyed listening to this tune.

fwiw..... I personally have to credit Mike (Sonic) for listening to more and more of this type of music.

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/26 20:51:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Paul Russell

Hi Ed

thought you might like it, but my primitive bass playing ain't a patch on your own virtuoso work. Bill Laswell's not a bad comparison, but all of this track is live, no loops except for the horns, which are heavily doctored anyway. I'd never heard of Bill until a few months ago and I still haven't heard a full CD of his, so I guess I should check it out.

Yes you should definitley check out plenty of Bill Laswell. Personally I'm a huge fan. He has many projects. "Material" has some good and rather varied stuff (check out "Hallucination Engine" - it's great) as well as his "Praxis" project with Buckethead, Bernie Worrel, etc. (check out "Transmutations") Also, he has some cool remix/reconstructions of Miles Davis, and Bob Marley. All worth a listen.

Also, just wanted to add to the praises for this tune. Really nice stuff...interesting both musically and texturally. I tend to gravitate towards music like this at times. Anyway, just wanted to say well done. Not sure if the version that is up there right now has the new horns, but regardless I think they sounded quite good. Nicely conceived and nicely played.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    fibredrive
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/26 21:08:58 (permalink)
    paul, its an amazing piece of work. the layering is genius. the panning is pro dude. i dunno, i like the fact the bass line is simple because it does not distract from the real focus which is the synths and fx. and this kinda music u gotta keep the bass simple. i listen to a lot of electronica and techno, e.g DJ Joi, Talvin Singh, oakenfold etc. its all along these lines. sounds class A++ to me. anymore in the series? :)

Paul Russell
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/26 22:19:09 (permalink)
    oh wow, this has come alive a bit again!
    Ed
    I like the sound of the horns on this; the cluster punches nicely. Your bass playing is really solid on this, right on point.
    looping up a bassline always give me the opportunity to tighten it up a bit. Im really not that good, but SONAR is very helpful.
    "Look-a-dat" matches the drum motif. You planned that, didn't you ;-)
    er.. yes of course!

Thanks for the kind words, Chas and Ryan. It's not often we get a Cakewalker commenting. Will definitely check out some Material and more Bill Laswell material.

Alawn: Talvin Singh I met at the last WOMAD. Big ego. Glad you like this kind of material. I have quite a few more of these which I've been working on. Maybe you should pop round and lay down some expert guitar improv over the top of one or two of them. I'm about 2/3 of the way to a CD full so it might be a good idea.

There is only one synth on this track, which is the 'ska' keyboard motif. All the textural sound is the Adrenalinn, while the horns are taken from the Greg Adams Big Band Brass collection from Big Fish Audio http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detail.html?721.

Thanks for listening again everyone.

Paul Russell 

jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/27 02:02:53 (permalink)
    as well as his "Praxis" project with Buckethead, Bernie Worrel, etc. (check out "Transmutations")

Praxis was amazing! Any idea how to track down the cd's? It seems they are long out of print...

Recently got to see Col. Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains, which as you probably know is Praxis with Les Claypool on bass. It was an amazing show, of course.

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/27 02:58:09 (permalink)
    Wow I saw Col Claypool's BBB in San Fran night before Halloween. It was a fantastic show! And they were dressed up as monks and all sorts of crazy outfits. Buckethead was just phenomenal and Brain has got to be one of my favorite drummers of all time.

As far as the Praxis CD's I basically just looked in every record shop I was in. I found a best-of called "Praxis Collection" that is super dark and heavy and really crazy. And then I was able to find a copy of Transmutation which is just a killer album, I think you can find this on Axiom. Check the Axiom label site and it may be there. I had to replace a copy and found one a couple years ago. I'll dig it up and see if I can find any more info.
    post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2005/07/27 03:04:29

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    Paul Russell
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/28 10:06:07 (permalink)
    Brandon, I've been listening to your tracks this evening and it's all good, very impressive, strong and well produced.
    http://brandonryan.net/musicprojects.htm if anyone else is interested. (Highly recommended)
    I can't pick a favourite yet and I reckon it will take me a few more listens to do that, but that should be a very enjoyable time. I know what I'll be listening to on the ride to work for the next few weeks.

Which leads me to another thought. The SONAR artistes page is wildly out of date - it still plugs SONAR 3, ferchrisake.
    It's about time the Cakewalk site updated it and added another section - great tracks from amateur artistes - all culled from the songs forum. There's a lot of really talented unsigned people here in a lot of genres (I was going to name a few but then I decided not to on the grounds of fairness.)

Surely it wouldn't take that much effort for the Bakers to add not only your stuff, but also Bob Damiano's excellent material, + one or two tracks chosen weekly (hopefully) from this forum. This would inspire the amateur songwriter even more. While pros add credibility, real-world talented amateurs really could inspire the potential Cakewalk market that this truly is a pro piece of software (never mind what the Pro did, listen to how good this amateur production sounds. )

Are you the man to lead that initiative within the company?

P.S. Ulterior motive, moi?

Paul Russell 

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/07/31 02:45:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Paul Russell

Brandon, I've been listening to your tracks this evening and it's all good, very impressive, strong and well produced.
    http://brandonryan.net/musicprojects.htm if anyone else is interested. (Highly recommended)
    I can't pick a favourite yet and I reckon it will take me a few more listens to do that, but that should be a very enjoyable time. I know what I'll be listening to on the ride to work for the next few weeks.

Which leads me to another thought. The SONAR artistes page is wildly out of date - it still plugs SONAR 3, ferchrisake.
    It's about time the Cakewalk site updated it and added another section - great tracks from amateur artistes - all culled from the songs forum. There's a lot of really talented unsigned people here in a lot of genres (I was going to name a few but then I decided not to on the grounds of fairness.)

Surely it wouldn't take that much effort for the Bakers to add not only your stuff, but also Bob Damiano's excellent material, + one or two tracks chosen weekly (hopefully) from this forum. This would inspire the amateur songwriter even more. While pros add credibility, real-world talented amateurs really could inspire the potential Cakewalk market that this truly is a pro piece of software (never mind what the Pro did, listen to how good this amateur production sounds. )

Are you the man to lead that initiative within the company?

P.S. Ulterior motive, moi?

Paul,

Sincere thanks for the very nice comments. It is very much appreciated, especially from someone of your abilities, and I'm glad you enjoyed the music. Will probably post a couple more things soon, but I'm seriously battling with a final mix on a tune right now that is driving me looney.

So good idea you have about the "amateur users song page" and I think you make a strong argument. There are a few wrinkles, as in who is chosen, but perhaps we could have an internal vote or something...not sure. Wouldn't want to offend anyone who wasn't chosen for one reason or another, but perhaps there are ways of dealing with that. There is also the delineation between who qualifies as "amateur" and who is "pro", but perhaps we could just call it "Unsigned" or "User" song page. I think your points about people seeing what someone can do in an extra bedroom, or a coffee table for that matter are good ones. Ultimately this is marketing department decision I suspect. Maybe I'll run it by them and see if they have any thoughts. I'll let you know if there are any developments.

Thanks again and keep up the good work
    post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2005/07/31 02:50:55

Paul Russell
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/08/01 08:21:19 (permalink)
    Ultimately this is marketing department decision I suspect. Maybe I'll run it by them and see if they have any thoughts. I'll let you know if there are any developments.
    yes please

Paul Russell 

low_z
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/08/02 13:13:25 (permalink)
    Nice tune, I like the guitar sounds, they are placed well in the mix.
    jwnicholson
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 386
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/08/03 08:35:53 (permalink)
    Man that was awesome! I hope to get to that level someday. Something to shoot for...
    Paul Russell
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/08/04 12:02:00 (permalink)
    thanks guys, glad you like it

Paul Russell 

M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/08/06 21:50:21 (permalink)
    Hi, Paul,

especially if there's a lit dooby nearby.

Yeah, I could understand that. . .

Like it. Your stuff is always interesting. I like the spoken stuff that comes in mid-way.

Nice track!

M
    Paul Russell
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/08/07 11:53:52 (permalink)
    thx, Mark

Paul Russell 

nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    RE: Calamity Project Electronica 2005/08/07 12:06:37 (permalink)
    Fabulous!

Exactly the right music for my Sunday morning... the heat is already starting to rise. Cup of hot tea in my hands. Your music is the perfect soundtrack for my life at this moment in time.

Love this kind of stuff and you do it extremely well.

I bow down before you Sir!

Great composition, great playing, great mix.

Was this mixed in your new studio?

R

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1