Cameleon 5000 vs. Dimension Pro

Author
awilki01
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 817
2006/01/18 01:06:43 (permalink)

Cameleon 5000 vs. Dimension Pro

Hello everyone!

Newbie question. How does Cameleon 5000 compare to something like Dimension Pro. Some of the sounds of Cameleon are just absolutely beautiful.

Thanks,
Adam

5 Replies Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Cameleon 5000 vs. Dimension Pro 2006/01/18 08:32:36 (permalink)
    You got yourself 2 very different types of synths. I've done the C demo and have D pro. Both have very good points but go about making sound in a different way. I would say these synths could complement each other well. But for bread and butter sounds Dpro has the edge. Not that cameleon is not worth having. By no means infer that. But cameleon would not be my choice for BASS, Drums, things you'd need for sequencing music. Dimension can be as atmospheric.
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Cameleon 5000 vs. Dimension Pro 2006/01/18 08:49:48 (permalink)
    They are two very different synths. If you like to program or tweak your own sounds, Dimension is much more straighforward. Cameleon isn't that hard to program but a bit time-consuming.

If you plan to use lots of presets, I think Dimension would cover a wider range. Dimension is sample-based, so it can basically produce any sound. Cameleon, on the other hand, approximates sounds by additive synthesis (ie.- adding a bunch of sine waves). This gives you a lot of control over the sounds, and that's why Cameleon is able to make such complex and beautiful textures.

In short, if you're after assorted sounds (strings, pads, pianos, basses, drums, brass, etc), and you prefer a more common, substractive synthesis approach, then Dimension is the way to go.

If you're looking for spacey, athmospheric pads and textures or want to experiment resynthesizing all kinds of sounds (a teaspoon hitting a glass, a female vocal, whatever), then Cameleon may be it.

There's a demo version of Cameleon you can try, but no Dimension demo.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Cameleon 5000 vs. Dimension Pro 2006/01/18 08:54:25 (permalink)
    But cameleon would not be my choice for BASS

I don't know man. I agree about drums but Cameleon has some pretty good bass presets - also some good strings and EP's.

Another thing to have in mind is that Cameleon is probably more CPU intensive than Dimension, which means you can only use a few instances in each song.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    awilki01
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 817
    RE: Cameleon 5000 vs. Dimension Pro 2006/01/18 18:50:09 (permalink)
    Another thing to have in mind is that Cameleon is probably more CPU intensive than Dimension, which means you can only use a few instances in each song.

Once you have that track set with Cameleon, just record the output to an audio track. You can then mute or delete the Cameleon track and just have the audio recording of it play. This should dramatically reduce CPU utilization.
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Cameleon 5000 vs. Dimension Pro 2006/01/18 22:05:54 (permalink)
    And Cameleon can be used to make sample sets for use in Dimension. Why would you do that? I guess the resynthysis abilities are really good. Not a Kyma system but really good. I vote you get both :)+) Then watch out. Oh and don't forget Spectra from.

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/spectra.php

THINK RESYNTHYSIS.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1