Can I do this with SFZ?

Author
Melvin J
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
2006/07/15 13:50:54 (permalink)

Can I do this with SFZ?

I would like to build up a custom kit in Dimension Pro. Specifically I would like to get my favorite kick sound and put on one key, then a perfect snare on another key and so on until I have a custom set mapped across the entire keyboard, all with seperate EQ's, EG's, effects and whatnot. Is this possible? I'm very new to SFZ and don't know much about it yet. I went to http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfzformat.htm and have been learning bits and pieces here and there.

9 Replies Related Threads

cb8rwh
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Can I do this with SFZ? 2006/07/15 14:02:40 (permalink)
    You can certainly map the different hits across the keyboard. Separate eqs yes i think so, separate Effects no - but you could split the hits across the 4 elements of Dim Pro - e.g. kick - element 1, snare - element 2, etc meaning that you could apply different effects to each element.

I am going to try this with Rapture - 6 elements!!!
    Melvin J
    RE: Can I do this with SFZ? 2006/07/15 14:50:01 (permalink)
    What about panning different samples within the same element? I have Rapture as well, I can't wait to really understand this whole SFZ thing and begin to utilize it effectively. I'm sure it will really open these synths up for me.
    cb8rwh
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Can I do this with SFZ? 2006/07/15 15:07:11 (permalink)
    yeah you could set the pan inside the sfz file for each sample/layer - just wait fo rsomeone with more knowledge than me to come along for a better answer. Shouldn't be too long
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Can I do this with SFZ? 2006/07/15 18:15:16 (permalink)
    I think most of what you ask is possible. The sample mapping is of course not a problem at all. Pan, piece'o'cake Volume to level it all out, not a deal.

A small suggestion though; Because you process different drum hits differently Maybe stringing these all together is not the best Idea after all.

Heres what I'd do. I'd set up a group of samples like snare, Process these out to what you personally like with eq, compression, verb, Then cut those up and make a custom sample set for your own use. Why? well for one thing, it not a big deal to install Dpro set up your chain of effects and render out to audio, You never risk damaging the real sample in any way and you get a custom set just to your taste. Not a do-able idea? No 2 track audio editor?

You always want to maintain you base samples in a pristine state. With no fun stuff so you can always have that to fall back on without a re-install. There won't be any velocity layers but after the squezze no one would notice anyway.

And Dpro's set is well processed but I'm repeating myself.
    Melvin J
    RE: Can I do this with SFZ? 2006/07/15 22:58:22 (permalink)
    I totally agree with preserving the originals. Is this a method that you employ commonly? What about others who use DPro for drums, what do they commonly do with drums. I'm just trying to get close to a killer metal drum sound that I can then twist and warp to hell and back.
    lawapa
    RE: Can I do this with SFZ? 2006/07/16 00:28:14 (permalink)
    Well I make a lot of the sets I use. So modifying a existing set is not a problem for me to get exactly what I'm after. I have been mapping to sf2 for a while before I got into the sfz format. I prefer the sfz as it's completly open and a charm to use with a load of special features that set it apart for the perfect format. So I am a big fan. And yes a render out to wave so you can make custom alterations to existing sets using Dpro would be a fun task getting that perfect snare sound for your metal tunes. And well maybe save you some cpu in the process? But only you know where that sound needs to be. and remember, what sound really hot all by itself can sound really crappy in a mix. That gets by a lot of people. So easy does it.
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Can I do this with SFZ? 2006/07/16 07:44:42 (permalink)
    Be sure to poke around the Project5 Wiki. There are some great tips and tutorials and links to other sites for SFZ-related material. Look in the Project Documentation and Tutorials areas. Also look in the Dimension Pro and Rapture synth areas.
    lawapa
    RE: Can I do this with SFZ? 2006/07/16 08:31:01 (permalink)
    WIKI/WIKI/WIKI It is the place to snag all available good stuff. doc's/tutorials/howto's.
    Melvin J
    RE: Can I do this with SFZ? 2006/07/19 11:13:00 (permalink)
    Okay, thanks guys. I think I now have a better sense of what SFZ can do. Hey Chad, I love your presets in the expansion packs, they are really awesome. Some of my favorites so far man.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1