Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mindspace
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
2014/02/09 17:12:15 (permalink)

Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3?

I have just got X3 and still haven't found my way round all the sounds you get with it. From what I've seen so far, z3ta+ doesn't seem to have much than would interest me as it all sounds like modern techno. I am after older style sounds (prog rock etc.).
I wondered if there was a good moog sound (available with X3 or via some plug in you can buy) or genesis style sounds circa 'we can't dance' etc I could get hold of that would work with X3.

41 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 17:26:38 (permalink)
    Maybe the Muz3um presets would be of interest. They are available in the downloads section of patcharena. The Muz3um presets were originally developed for z3ta+, then Rapture and z3ta+2.
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 17:29:09 (permalink)
    Z3TA+ has a bunch of classic sound in there as well but it's definitely more geared towards a modern palette. Arturia and GMedia both have a sizable collection of vintage emulations out. And there's the affordable but good sounding OPX-II Pro by SonicProjects.

I'm not much into prog rock, is there any specific synth you're lusting after?
    jb101
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 17:30:42 (permalink)
    z3ta+ should have a quite a few presets that would get you there, if it's presets you're looking for e.g.  Vangelis, In The Air Tonight (that great Prophet 5 pad), some of the Mogger  should be a clue that they're not all techno..

Rapture has loads, - I love the "Component Modelling" Moog preset in the "Leads" folder.  The Muz3um sounds which are available somewhere on the web for Rapture have loads of tasty analogue synths, including the Arp stuff that Tony Banks used in the seventies.

Dimension Pro also has a lot.  There are great Moogs and Melotrons, you name it.  Sounds from the Emu Classic Keys module, Vintage Sound Library etc.

Sonar Platinum
    mindspace
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 17:39:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. I fact prophet style sounds would be of interest plus Tony Banks style sounds.

So maybe i've already got what I need. If I get these Muz3um sounds - do they easily install etc and become available via Rapture  and z3ta without too much effort? If they are compatible via existing stuff like z3ta and Rapture presumably there's more chance of them working.
    I'd better investigate those first before spending a lot on e.g. some Arturia prophet sounds.

mindspace
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 17:40:10 (permalink)
    If I need some help getting these existing sounds to work i'll post again. thanks. 

I have used one prophet sound from z3ta so far (bank 1 I think).

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 17:43:36 (permalink)
    Installation is not difficult (just a windows copy process IIRC, it has been some time since I installed them) but each synth has a different format, sample and program directories so the Muz3um for zeta+ would not be available in Rapture.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 17:52:17 (permalink)
    Another synth just finishing testing is Obdx. Not bad for free. The presets are not yet bundled with the synth. The latest snapshot of the presets are on page 87 of the thread. Currently the presets are at this address https://dl.dropboxusercon...k%201%20-%20v1.04.zip.
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 18:15:28 (permalink)
    Rapture's factory preset "Moog Pedal Lead" (or maybe it's Mini Pedal Lead") is a classic!

Splat
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 18:31:31 (permalink)
    I second #2.

Also you need to look at Z3TA+2 again (if you haven't got version 2 get it). Please do not view this beast as a sampler with lots of presets for you to shop around with, it isn't, it is virtual synth (with lot's of presets), check:
    http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/cakewalk-z3ta-2-490547

So if you are just dialling up the preset sounds you are totally missing out with what this thing can do, if you want Moog sounds it's best you understand how to generate Moog like sounds like your 70's prog rock hero's did, I strongly recommend this tutorial:
    http://www.groove3.com/str/z3ta-explained.html

Please don't just jump from plugin to plugin blindfolded, or buy sound expansion upon sound expansion, and piss your money up the wall; set yourself free and learn to use your tool the way it was originally intended. Spend a whole day learning your synth inside out, Keith Emerson will applaud you and you will end up having a lifetime skill.... You will also be a lot clearer about what sort of synth you will want to be playing with next (many plugins work in similar ways, check out Absynth or Massive for instance). 

Cheers....

p.s. Still unsure, OK check out this free video to see what I mean:
    http://www.groove3.com/str/player_flash.php?id=4085&productid=16413

post edited by CakeAlexS - 2014/02/09 21:07:23

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    jb101
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 19:04:00 (permalink)
    MinimogueVA is a very nice Minimoog emulation that is free.  Sounds and looks great.  Plenty of nice presets (very prog) and tweekable like the real thing.

Sonar Platinum
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 19:11:07 (permalink)
    There are a couple of freeware soft synths that have some pretty good sounds.

There are a couple of drawbacks though - please note that even with the couple of drawbacks, I still chose to use them until literally just yesterday.

PLEASE NOTE -both the MinimoogVA and the ARP2600VA are 32-bit, so they must either be used in a 32-bit Sonar, or with BitBridge/JBridge in a 64-bit Sonar.

They do have great sounds, though, and since they are free, I recommend you take a look at them - download and listen.  They both work well with ASIO from your interface, so the sound quality is good, on top of which they are really good free creations of a Minimoog and an ARP200.

I JUST literally purchased the Arturia V Collection - which is an INCREDIBLE collection of 64-bit classic synths - 9 synths and 30 drum machines - It was on sale for $199 for all of these, and the regular price is back up to its normal $399 - here is the link to what is included, in case you want to look at these someday, particularly if they go on sale again: 

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/v-collection/details.html

Here are links to the MinimogueVA and the ARP2600VA, which you can get now for free:

MinimogueVA:  http://home.no/gunnare/downloads.htm

ARP2600VA: http://glenstegner.com/softsynths.html

By the way, if you ever pick up a synth called FM 8. from Native Instruments, either by itself or as part of one of their Komplete bundles, send me a Private Message with your email address, and I will cheerfully send you LITERALLY tens of thousands of presets for FM 8, that represent LITERALLY every single factory sound EVER released by Yamaha for any of the DX-type synths, such as DX7, DX8, DX100, DX1, DX5, DX21, GS1, GS2, TX-series, etc.

These sounds are amazing enough on their own, but unlike the limitations the originals had, you can add all kinds of effects to each sound, resulting in lush, authentic digital pianos, and all of those unique sounds.  I posted a thread some months ago, offering to email all of the DX presets to whoever wanted them, and I did end up sending them all to 6-7 different folks.

Also, Native Instruments offers a couple of free synths - they call them 'Players', including a great-sounding "taster" synth that allow you to play a  small number of representative sounds from their flagship Kontakt synth.  They hope you love the sound quality enough to purchase the real Kontakt, which IS the gold standard Sampler.  

The other one 'plays' a representative number of presets from another incredible synth of theirs, Reaktor 5.  That synth allows you to assemble synths from 'building block components' of all of the different kinds of synthesis out there, so you can combine FM, additive, subtractive, etc types of synths, into a brand new kind of synth.  

There are thousands of free synths that folks have built with this synth 'factory'.

Here are links to these two free synthesizers, Kontakt 5 Player and Reaktor 5 Player:

Kontakt 5 Player: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths-samplers/kontakt-5-player/free-download/

Reaktor 5 Player: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths-samplers/reaktor-5-player/

I hope you enjoy the free stuff.  The other Sonar-included synths may grow on you, in time, as well.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    musec03
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 283
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 20:17:25 (permalink)
    ...great information on this thread ...THANKS to all who posted comments and to the OP...

I finally purchased NI KOMPLETE 9 a week ago ...it's way more than I hoped it would be... at $499.
    Arturia does a good job for me also...

CakeAlexS has the best suggestion ... I've rooted around the Cakewalk synths a lot ... there's plenty of great stuff to discover...

ASUS G10AJ, WIN 8.1 Home Premium 64 bit, Intel Core i73610QM, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M, Presonus Studio 192
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 20:50:32 (permalink)
    I have a friend who has tons of real moog gear.

He would never use plugins of any sort. Smiles.

These don't come with Sonar, but might get you close.
    http://www.moogmusic.com/products/apps/

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 21:11:53 (permalink)
    @musec03 = my offer stands - I have tens of thousands of presets for all the DX stuff, already configured to work in FM 8.

I just whipped this stupid little snippet of a few of the kinds of free sounds you can play, using the Reaktor 5 Player, the Minimogue VA, and the ARP2600 VA freeware synths.

In the audio track, here are the clips and the synth I played the clip on:

1.  Baba O'Reilly - Reaktor 5 
    2.  Firth of Fifth - Reaktor 5 
    3.  Won't Get Fooled Again - Reaktor 5
    4.  Nowhere to Run - Minimogue VA
    5.  Karn Evil 9 - ARP2600VA

Here is the link to the track: https://soundcloud.com/robert-bone/freesynthsampler

The sounds are played sloppily - I just threw this together in a couple of minutes - in the middle of a million other things - sorry for the sloppy play.  The sounds are what I wanted to share.  :)

Hope you enjoy

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 21:30:04 (permalink)
    Rapture is as good of a synth for that stuff that you can find - short of the real things.  You can find it (and the Z3TAs) at Patchareana.com. Rapture w/  Muz3um is great.  Francesco sampled just about everything analog and made patches from them.  Very Impressive.

Some VA's may be "rounder" than Rapture (or DimPro), but it cuts like a laser.  Muz3um is free, you should have rapture w/ SONAR and it is 64-bit.  Try it, and if it don't float your boat then spend money.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 23:17:22 (permalink)
    I am suprised no one has mentioned Pentagon it is a classic analogue synth emulation in the Cakewalk bundle and is probably the best place to start as it does pure analogue subtractive synth sounds better than anything else in the produce package. There is a know issue with the valleys setting in the simulator section but this only affects a handfull of the many patches.

That said Z3ta is far more versatile than it mainly EDM style presets may suggest, the same goes for Rapture.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/09 23:36:30 (permalink)
    Even the lowly PSYN II has a few usable vintage patches. Gotta be one of the least mentioned synths bundled with SONAR. Rapture is still my favorite of the CW line.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/10 00:12:03 (permalink)
    I got the MiniMoog Tribute from Craig Anderton for Rapture and it is a ripper. It is on special right now too. Full of great Moog sounds. Some fantastic sequences too. Love it Craig!

http://www.store.cakewalk...ductid=10-CPMM1.00-10E

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/10 00:22:26 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    I got the MiniMoog Tribute from Craig Anderton for Rapture and it is a ripper. It is on special right now too. Full of great Moog sounds. Some fantastic sequences too. Love it Craig!

http://www.store.cakewalk...ductid=10-CPMM1.00-10E

Well thanks, that means a lot coming from you! I now you're pretty picky about sounds.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    cecelius2
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1494
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/10 01:51:21 (permalink)

robert_e_bone
    There are a couple of freeware soft synths that have some pretty good sounds.

There are a couple of drawbacks though - please note that even with the couple of drawbacks, I still chose to use them until literally just yesterday.

PLEASE NOTE -both the MinimoogVA and the ARP2600VA are 32-bit, so they must either be used in a 32-bit Sonar, or with BitBridge/JBridge in a 64-bit Sonar.

They do have great sounds, though, and since they are free, I recommend you take a look at them - download and listen.  They both work well with ASIO from your interface, so the sound quality is good, on top of which they are really good free creations of a Minimoog and an ARP200.

I JUST literally purchased the Arturia V Collection - which is an INCREDIBLE collection of 64-bit classic synths - 9 synths and 30 drum machines - It was on sale for $199 for all of these, and the regular price is back up to its normal $399 - here is the link to what is included, in case you want to look at these someday, particularly if they go on sale again: 

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/v-collection/details.html

Here are links to the MinimogueVA and the ARP2600VA, which you can get now for free:

MinimogueVA:  http://home.no/gunnare/downloads.htm

ARP2600VA: http://glenstegner.com/softsynths.html

By the way, if you ever pick up a synth called FM 8. from Native Instruments, either by itself or as part of one of their Komplete bundles, send me a Private Message with your email address, and I will cheerfully send you LITERALLY tens of thousands of presets for FM 8, that represent LITERALLY every single factory sound EVER released by Yamaha for any of the DX-type synths, such as DX7, DX8, DX100, DX1, DX5, DX21, GS1, GS2, TX-series, etc.

These sounds are amazing enough on their own, but unlike the limitations the originals had, you can add all kinds of effects to each sound, resulting in lush, authentic digital pianos, and all of those unique sounds.  I posted a thread some months ago, offering to email all of the DX presets to whoever wanted them, and I did end up sending them all to 6-7 different folks.

Also, Native Instruments offers a couple of free synths - they call them 'Players', including a great-sounding "taster" synth that allow you to play a  small number of representative sounds from their flagship Kontakt synth.  They hope you love the sound quality enough to purchase the real Kontakt, which IS the gold standard Sampler.  

The other one 'plays' a representative number of presets from another incredible synth of theirs, Reaktor 5.  That synth allows you to assemble synths from 'building block components' of all of the different kinds of synthesis out there, so you can combine FM, additive, subtractive, etc types of synths, into a brand new kind of synth.  

There are thousands of free synths that folks have built with this synth 'factory'.

Here are links to these two free synthesizers, Kontakt 5 Player and Reaktor 5 Player:

Kontakt 5 Player: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths-samplers/kontakt-5-player/free-download/

Reaktor 5 Player: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths-samplers/reaktor-5-player/

I hope you enjoy the free stuff.  The other Sonar-included synths may grow on you, in time, as well.

Bob Bone

+1 on what Robert posted.  The MinimougueVa and ARP2600VA are free and have pretty good classic prog type sounds.  While not part of Sonar itself, they work well with bitbridge.  You certainly should add them to your collection.

Seasonsfall
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/10 07:53:41 (permalink)
    I happen to use Z3ta+ 2.1 for old "moog" type sounds (using vintage wave shapes - the default start-up patch is a good example). They seem to be good for both the top end and the bottom.

regards
    Dave
    X3d Producer on Windows 7/64.
    mindspace
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/10 18:04:18 (permalink)
    Thank you very much for all your comments, all very interesting and helpful.
    Anderton
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/10 18:12:11 (permalink)
    FYI - When I reviewed Rapture many years ago, I posted an online example of a Rapture 4-pole LP filter sweep and the same from Arturia's Minimoog emulation. No one could tell the difference.

Remember, these are synthesizers...you can make them do pretty much anything you want. Give me something with more than one sawtooth oscillator and a 4-pole filter, and I can probably make it sound like a Minimoog   Also remember part of the Minimoog "sound" involved the envelopes, which had distinctive shapes quite different from today's common rate/level envelopes.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Splat
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/10 19:26:39 (permalink)
    > I posted an online example of a Rapture 4-pole LP filter sweep and the same from Arturia's Minimoog emulation

Hmmm maybe it's time to try that test again with these synths, Monark and the real instrument? :).

I agree though, a lot of virtual synths are (basically) the same, it's the way the UI is handled, and how it is initially calibrated is what makes the synth for me. Some synths are unique though like FM.

For me Z3TA+2 is a great virtual synth to start with (and it's generally cheap).

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    Anderton
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/10 20:39:02 (permalink)
    CakeAlexS
    > I posted an online example of a Rapture 4-pole LP filter sweep and the same from Arturia's Minimoog emulation

Hmmm maybe it's time to try that test again with these synths, Monark and the real instrument? :).

I agree though, a lot of virtual synths are (basically) the same, it's the way the UI is handled, and how it is initially calibrated is what makes the synth for me. Some synths are unique though like FM.

I thought it fair to compare virtual instrument to virtual instrument. I actually liked Creamware's "Minimoog" better in some ways, but it sounded less like a hardware Minimoog (I have one, signed by Bob Moog when he came over to visit ).

But what everyone seems to forget is that no listener has ever said "I was going to buy your CD, but...that wasn't a real Minimoog, it was a software emulation."

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/10 20:58:19 (permalink)
    One of the ultimate VST's for analog synthesis is this:

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/opxpro2/description.html

It is an Oberheim clone and I mean this thing is serious.  Firstly I am a bit of an Oberheim fan having owned many of them going back to OBX and OBXa and OB8 Matrix 12 and all that.  I really know how Oberheims sound. This VST is the most amazing recreation of the Oberheim sound I have ever heard.  It is stunning to say the least. It is also modelled on the original SEM filters too.

I realise too that it is something you have to buy but it is a killer analog sounding VST.  You can always get OPX too which is cheaper but sztill amazing and upgrade later. The upgrade is worth it though.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Splat
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/10 21:09:52 (permalink)
    What Jeff has here is a perfect example. In my view there are many synths capable of these sort of sounds and sound just as good. Morark may sound better IMHO, however the demos's are pretty impressive.

The point is moot however, what makes a synth is:

1) Good presets.
    2) A UI the user likes and is comfortable with.
    3) A UI that allows great sounds to be created quickly.
    4) Maybe something they are already familiar with.

So this Oberheim clone ticks all the right boxes.

Most people tend to look at 1 rather than 3 more, many only use presets which in my view should be a crime.

There are lots of opinions out there, but really all people are banging on about is when to add the milk to their tea (that's if they add milk at all). They all (more or less) sound the same nowadays, with a few notable exceptions.

Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/11 01:49:33 (permalink)
    I have a Micromoog and a Voyager, and I still use plugins all the time. I currently have a KingKorg VA on demo and for laughs I put it next to my Micro and tried to copy my basic saw bass sound. The sweet spots were in different places but  I got close enough to use them interchangeably in the same bassline with noone the wiser.

I will never get rid of any of my analogs, they each have their charm and do some tricks software can't, but for most general purpose sounds software VAs are so good these days that most of the time it's not worth firing up the vintage stuff and waiting half an hour until it stays moderately in tune.

Some great free stuff has been posted here. I'm glad to see Jeff also endorsing OPX-II Pro, for the paid stuff. It's where I'd turn for the next step if I were you.
    jb101
    Re: Can I get a Moog or other vintage prog style sounds on X3? 2014/02/11 03:13:10 (permalink)
    CakeAlexS
    many only use presets which in my view should be a crime.

This is a common view, for which I have some sympathy.

However, in the seventies, Tony Banks used an ARP ProSoloist for that classic Genesis sound.

It was a preset synth.

I also have a 150 year old Grand Piano that only has one preset sound.

Sonar Platinum
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1