AnsweredCan I get some help regarding VST and VST3 paths? Problems with new Arturia VSTi installs

Author
Toddskins
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
2018/11/28 03:54:57 (permalink)

Can I get some help regarding VST and VST3 paths? Problems with new Arturia VSTi installs

I just purchased Arturia Collection V v.6 which has 21 synths in the package.  All the synths can be played as standalone or inside the DAW.  In both cases, all of the synths look mangled, and when I run my mouse over the image, the image looks like it's been erased.  I contacted Arturia support, and I believe the guy correctly identified this as a VST path problem, but his solution was unclear to me.

Furthermore, they use a software program called "Arturia Software Center" (ASC) that does the tasks of validating your license, allowing and keeping track of up to 5 activations on computers, and during the install I had to choose the paths for two folders that were unclear to me:  VST32 and VST64.  These 2 folders and their corresponding paths are fields within the Arturia Software Center, and I don't know how, but I think their plugins check to see what is recorded in these fields even when the app is not open (is this possible?)

This is where I messed up, I believe.  I am only aware of VST2 and VST3 and then either of those with regard to 32-bit and 64-bit.  4 combinations.  But I had to choose a path for 2 folders with names I am unfamiliar with. 

Also, I think the Arturia plugins are all 64-bit, but how would I ever be able to determine that? 

Also I don't know if plugins have a .dll extension of a .vst extension or .vst3.  When I do a search on my system I cannot find any files ending with the extension .vst.  Only files ending in .vst3.  And in my vstplugins folder, are .dll files.  I'm confused.

1) My VST paths in Sonar X3 Producer in Preferences are: 
c:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins
c:\program files\common files\vst3

2) Arturia Software Center wants me to tell it the paths for these 2 folders, of which I am sure I messed up:
VST32:  (should this be the path to VST3, or the VST2? What about .dll files?)
VST64:  (same question.  I don't know what belongs here.)

I only have issues with the new Arturia synths, all mangled in their imagery.  No problems at all with everything else in Sonar and all the other plugins I have purchased over time, i.e. U-he "Repro5" and Dmitry Saches "Thorn".

3) Arturia tech support guy wrote the following and I do not know what files need to be moved, or "old plugins" removed (I think he is referring to Arturia old plugins of which I have none):
= = = = =
Thank you for using our instruments!

Are you using a custom folder for your VST plug-ins? if so, Here is some information which may explain the GUI issue you're actually facing :
  • When installing our software, the installer won't remove automatically any old plugins stored in any Custom folders.
  • This causes the old plugin version not to handle properly the latest version of our software affecting the proper display of the GUI.
So when installing/updating your software please make sure if possible to properly define the plugin folder in your ASC Custom folder in order for the old files to be properly replaced.

If already installed (Toddskins edit - Yes, already installed), please make sure to go to your Custom folder (Toddskins edit - I think he means using my Windows explorer file manager) in order to remove any old plugin files which may be still present. (Toddskins edit - I don't think this applies to me since I never had any Arturia software before)

From there, you need to either move the plugins files to your custom folder, or either indicate your DAW to properly use the default folders which should be :

On Windows:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins
or
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins (if a Steinberg folder has been defined before the first Arturia installation.)
= = = = =

Can anyone here advise me?
Toddskins
Re: Can I get some help regarding VST and VST3 paths? Problems with new Arturia VSTi insta 2018/11/28 04:08:38 (permalink)
ADDENDUM

I forgot to add this important information from my Windows Explorer:

In my C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTPlugins folder, these files were just added by the Arturia install:

Analog Lab 3.dll, ARP 2600 v3.dll, B-3 V.dll, Buchla Easel V.dll, Clavinet V.dll, CMI V.dll, DX7 V.dll, Farfisa V.dll, Jup-8 v3.dll, Matrix 12 v2.dll, Mini V.dll, Modular V3.dll, Piano v2.dll, Prophet V3.dll, SEM v2.dll, Solina v2.dll, Stage-73 V.dll, Synclavier V.dll, VOX Continental v2.dll, Wurli v2.dll 

20 synths ending with .dll

In my C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 folder, these files were just added by the Arturia install:

Analog Lab 3.vst3, ARP 2600 v3.vst3, B-3 V.vst3, Buchla Easel V.vst3, Clavinet V.vst3, CMI V.vst3, DX7 V.vst3, Farfisa V.vst3, Jup-8 v3.vst3, Matrix 12 v2.vst3, Mini V.vst3, Modular V3.vst3, Piano v2.vst3, Prophet V3.vst3, SEM v2.vst3, Solina v2.vst3, Stage-73 V.vst3, Synclavier V.vst3, VOX Continental v2.vst3, Wurli v2.vst3

20 synths ending with .vst3
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Can I get some help regarding VST and VST3 paths? Problems with new Arturia VSTi insta 2018/11/28 04:27:26 (permalink)
In 64bit X3, 32bit plug-in have (32-bit) appended to their name in the plug-in lists.

The VST3 specification states that 64bit VST3 plug-ins be installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and 32bit VST3 plug-ins be installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3. These plug-ins use a vst3 extension instead of dll (VST2 use dll as the extension). VST3 plug-ins should be installed in the path specified by the standard. SONAR will use custom locations for VST3 plug-ins but some programs are not as forgiving.

The VST2 specification is silent about where plug-ins should be installed. It is up to the manufacturer, there is no standard. By default most manufacturers install 64bit plug-ins somewhere in C:\Program Files and 32bit in C:\Program Files (x86) but some default to the folders right off the root in C:.

As long as the paths to the dll/vst3 files are defined in the scan path in Preferences,SONAR should have no problem scanning the plug-ins.

From the description in the ADDENDUM, the plug-in appear to be in the correct locations for a default X3 install although I usually try to get them in vendor specific folders in their respective VST folders to keep things a little more organized.
Toddskins
Re: Can I get some help regarding VST and VST3 paths? Problems with new Arturia VSTi insta 2018/11/28 04:43:01 (permalink)
scook
In 64bit X3, 32bit plug-in have (32-bit) appended to their name in the plug-in lists.

The VST3 specification states that 64bit VST3 plug-ins be installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and 32bit VST3 plug-ins be installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3. These plug-ins use a vst3 extension instead of dll (VST2 use dll as the extension). VST3 plug-ins should be installed in the path specified by the standard. SONAR will use custom locations for VST3 plug-ins but some programs are not as forgiving.

The VST2 specification is silent about where plug-ins should be installed. It is up to the manufacturer, there is no standard. By default most manufacturers install 64bit plug-ins somewhere in C:\Program Files and 32bit in C:\Program Files (x86) but some default to the folders right off the root in C:.

As long as the paths to the dll/vst3 files are defined in the scan path in Preferences,SONAR should have no problem scanning the plug-ins.

From the description in the ADDENDUM, the plug-in appear to be in the correct locations although I usually try to get them in vendor specific folders in their respective VST folders to keep things a little more organized.

Ok, that's partly helpful.  What about their ASC software which wants me to define the paths for a couple of folders? What path should I place in these 2 fields?

VST32:  
VST64: 
scook
Forum Host
Re: Can I get some help regarding VST and VST3 paths? Problems with new Arturia VSTi insta 2018/11/28 04:49:44 (permalink)
It is up to you, there is no standard for VST2 32 and 64bit (what they call VST32 and VST64).

Been a while since I set up the Arturia Software Center. The paths in my config are:
VST32 is C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins\Arturia
VST64 is C:\Program files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\Arturia

From msg #2 above it appears VST64 is set to C:\Program files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins. This is OK. As I mentioned before, I prefer to add a manufacturer folder to the VST folder but it is mostly a cosmetic thing.

Toddskins
Re: Can I get some help regarding VST and VST3 paths? Problems with new Arturia VSTi insta 2018/11/28 05:29:39 (permalink)
Thanks, scook.  

I just 2 minutes ago got a reply from Tech Support and they confirmed what you just wrote about the VST32 and VST64.  He said the VST32 refers to 32-bit plugins, and the VST64 refers to 64-bit plugins of which all the Arturia plugins are 64-bit.

So those folders have nothing to do with VST3.

But even though I had the VST64 path correct, he is recommending I uninstall everything and do it again.  

scook
Forum Host
Re: Can I get some help regarding VST and VST3 paths? Problems with new Arturia VSTi insta 2018/11/28 05:39:27 (permalink)
Yes, Arturia like many manufacturers do not provide a way to alter the default VST3 install paths.

Maybe support suspects something else went wrong with the installation.

You may want to upgrade to CbB (it's free). To do so create a BandLab user account with the same email address as your Cakewalk account the follow the install instructions here using BandLab Assistant.
msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Can I get some help regarding VST and VST3 paths? Problems with new Arturia VSTi insta 2018/11/28 06:23:52 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby robert_e_bone 2018/11/28 17:00:09
Toddskins
In both cases, all of the synths look mangled, and when I run my mouse over the image, the image looks like it's been erased.

While you do need to sort out your plugin install directories, what you are describing here sound much more like bad video card drivers.  You may need to update your video card drivers to something that handles OpenGL better.  All the Arturia plugins use OpenGL to render the UI.  Depending on your video card and verison of Windows you may need to download the most recent drivers to make them work.

-Matt

Toddskins
Re: Can I get some help regarding VST and VST3 paths? Problems with new Arturia VSTi insta 2018/11/28 09:06:30 (permalink)
msorrels
Toddskins
In both cases, all of the synths look mangled, and when I run my mouse over the image, the image looks like it's been erased.

While you do need to sort out your plugin install directories, what you are describing here sound much more like bad video card drivers.  You may need to update your video card drivers to something that handles OpenGL better.  All the Arturia plugins use OpenGL to render the UI.  Depending on your video card and verison of Windows you may need to download the most recent drivers to make them work.

I reinstalled the Matrix-12 V synth and the problem persists.  :(

Thanks for that piece of information regarding OpenGL which I know nothing about, but at least it's a logical approach.  I have no bad graphics at all in anything, except for these Arturia plugins, and the mangled interface happens in standalone mode and within Sonar X3.  

I'm using the built-in graphics of the i7 4790K cpu, but I'll start doing a bit of research to see if its OpenGL related or if an update exists.  If nothing works I'm going to have to seek Arturia for a refund, which will not be easy being software, but who knows.
Toddskins
Re: Can I get some help regarding VST and VST3 paths? Problems with new Arturia VSTi insta 2018/11/28 09:51:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robert_e_bone 2018/11/28 16:59:56
Yay!!!!

MSorrels, your suggestion led to the solution!  I had to download an OpenGL viewer, which stated I had the latest edition already installed, 4.3.  But that led me to look into my Device Drivers and to make a medium story short, I clicked to update the Intel graphic driver which only took half a minute, and then the installed Arturia Matrix 12 was perfect.  I then installed another, Modular, and it's perfect, too.  

Thanks so much!
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1