Can I install Service XP service pack 1 ON TOP OF Service pack 2?

Author
Monkey23
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 848
2008/05/25 21:58:39 (permalink)

Can I install Service XP service pack 1 ON TOP OF Service pack 2?

I ask because I recently reformated my hard drive and only installed Service pack 2. A little internet research seems to indivate that only Service pack 1 has the USB2.0 drivers that are now missing from my computer. what to do?

8 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Can I install Service XP service pack 1 ON TOP OF Service pack 2? 2008/05/25 22:07:32 (permalink)
    SP2 is sp1+sp2 in one. both contain the usb update.

depends on whats usb, is it a laptop? or a pci card that gives the pc usb2?

I had loads of headaches with a usb2 pci card, it used a NONE NEC chipset.. the NEC chipset ones are the best, yep it was more pricey BUT it worked as it should

if it's part of the pc, check the makers site for chipset drivers, normally under support
    Monkey23
    RE: Can I install Service XP service pack 1 ON TOP OF Service pack 2? 2008/05/25 22:52:53 (permalink)
    Yes, it's a laptop. An Acer laptop, and they are reluctant to help me since I don't want to load the 10Gigs of Acer crap they initially installed on it.
    Fog
    RE: Can I install Service XP service pack 1 ON TOP OF Service pack 2? 2008/05/26 08:45:15 (permalink)
    Monkey23,

my laptop rig is an acer and so is my main setup , but modified (e.g. new PSU etc).. go to the main site.. and their support bit of the site.. depends where you are based, to which drivers you need

go to the support bit, then select your model and go to the FTP site, download all the drivers under "chipset"

my laptop , although I bought in the UK , it's a singapore model and they haven't been helpful support wise.

if you want to update the BIOS be very careful with that, since they caused me hassles by included TWO bios files for 2 revisions of the same laptop in 1 zip file an NO readme.. I wasn't impressed.

they aren't exactly helpful support wise in my experience, but since I've built my own pc's for ages I am as clued up as them I guess.
    Monkey23
    RE: Can I install Service XP service pack 1 ON TOP OF Service pack 2? 2008/05/26 23:19:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

Monkey23,

my laptop rig is an acer and so is my main setup , but modified (e.g. new PSU etc).. go to the main site.. and their support bit of the site.. depends where you are based, to which drivers you need

go to the support bit, then select your model and go to the FTP site, download all the drivers under "chipset"

my laptop , although I bought in the UK , it's a singapore model and they haven't been helpful support wise.

if you want to update the BIOS be very careful with that, since they caused me hassles by included TWO bios files for 2 revisions of the same laptop in 1 zip file an NO readme.. I wasn't impressed.

they aren't exactly helpful support wise in my experience, but since I've built my own pc's for ages I am as clued up as them I guess.

Thanks, that's very helpful. By installing all of the drivers, am I going to still be free of Acer's hostile takeover of my normal XP OS with all of their Acer management crap?
    Fog
    RE: Can I install Service XP service pack 1 ON TOP OF Service pack 2? 2008/05/27 12:52:39 (permalink)
    Monkey23

nope, not if it's only the chipset drivers..

if it even did anyway (which it wont).. ccleaner is a good program to remove the things that it installed.

get it off www.filehippo.com

Monkey23
    RE: Can I install Service XP service pack 1 ON TOP OF Service pack 2? 2008/05/27 21:31:12 (permalink)
    Cool, thank you very much for the help!
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Can I install Service XP service pack 1 ON TOP OF Service pack 2? 2008/05/29 09:07:26 (permalink)
    Odd. SP2 should have the drivers in by default. Try to open the device manager and then run "update driver" on all USB hubs and bridges allowing it to search MS update. The only drivers that need to be installed from 3rd party are if you are running basic XP (SP1 does not have fully compliant usb 2.0 drivers - they need to be updated via Win Update, sp2 has them all). Possibly the only thing you are missing is a host bridge driver.

Cheers
    Shad
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2008/05/29 09:28:54

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Monkey23
    RE: Can I install Service XP service pack 1 ON TOP OF Service pack 2? 2008/05/30 23:52:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

Odd. SP2 should have the drivers in by default. Try to open the device manager and then run "update driver" on all USB hubs and bridges allowing it to search MS update. The only drivers that need to be installed from 3rd party are if you are running basic XP (SP1 does not have fully compliant usb 2.0 drivers - they need to be updated via Win Update, sp2 has them all). Possibly the only thing you are missing is a host bridge driver.

Cheers
    Shad

I don't have the laptop hooked up to the internet. This was on purpose, so I have to do things manually.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1