Can I move my DimPro Programs?

Author
Eotm
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
2010/12/26 11:03:37 (permalink)

Can I move my DimPro Programs?

I've finally gotten my DimPro 1.5 multisamples squared away. My 32 and 64 bit versions of Dimension Pro are working and can find the programs and multisamples. But my programs are stuck in C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro. I would like them to be next to my multisamples in E:\Samples\Dimension Pro

I've searched here, and poked around the registry and can't find anywhere to specify that I want my programs in that other location. Can it be done?

12 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Can I move my DimPro Programs? 2010/12/26 12:32:44 (permalink)
    I haven't heard of anyone doing it, or a way to do it.  I'm sure you have a reason, but the programs themselves take a minimum of space,so that shouldn't be the reason.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:Can I move my DimPro Programs? 2010/12/26 17:15:08 (permalink)
    AT has a strong point. The programs are small in size. I don't know of a guide for re-locating the programs, but the following link will take you to a guide for re-locating the multisamples. Maybe some idea will stir up for you by reading that.

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/reader.aspx?ID=2007012978

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    Eotm
    Re:Can I move my DimPro Programs? 2010/12/26 18:16:56 (permalink)
    I'm sure you have a reason, but the programs themselves take a minimum of space,so that shouldn't be the reason.

No, space isn't the reason. It's organization. I'd just like all the stuff associated with Dimension Pro to be in the same spot.
    AT
    Re:Can I move my DimPro Programs? 2010/12/27 00:23:11 (permalink)
    René had a thread about that when Vista came out.  MS convention.  I didn't much like it either.

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    dilexmellen
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Can I move my DimPro Programs? 2010/12/29 13:02:32 (permalink)
    Hmm... I'd just copy and paste them, and make the shortcuts myself. Program files are registered when loaded so just moving won't work if you don't want to install them. The only way of getting everything and still be operational on new system is to use Ghost or a program like it.
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    Re:Can I move my DimPro Programs? 2010/12/31 21:42:19 (permalink)
    The "Content Folder" registry key points to the location of the .prog files and many other resources.  It can be changed, but you'll have to more more than just the .prog files.  The bitmaps and other resources must be moved as well--guess and check until you've got it.  Recommend just leave it alone, though.
    AT
    Re:Can I move my DimPro Programs? 2011/01/01 00:07:02 (permalink)
    Hey Bob, nice Dimension site.  Is that new, or am I just dumb?  Cool, either way.

@

Eotm
    Re:Can I move my DimPro Programs? 2011/01/01 14:14:45 (permalink)
    The "Content Folder" registry key points to the location of the .prog files and many other resources.

Not on my system. Here, "Contents Folder" is pointing to the same location that my "Multisamples Folder" is. But my .prog files are still where the installer put them: "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs"  There are no .prog files in my "Contents Folder" location.

techead
    Re:Can I move my DimPro Programs? 2011/01/02 19:33:27 (permalink)
    AT

Hey Bob, nice Dimension site.  Is that new, or am I just dumb?  Cool, either way.

@
    Thanks!  It is a new site ( http://dimension.technetos.com/ ) but the majority of the content is from items that were tacked onto the old Project5 wiki.  After its demise I converted the bulk of the P5-related content over to http://project5.technetos.com/ as a static web site rather than a wiki--it won't get hacked anymore.  The non-Project5 related content is being moved into other appropriate sites.

techead
    Re:Can I move my DimPro Programs? 2011/01/02 19:41:01 (permalink)
    On an XP system,

"HKLM/Software/Cakewalk Music Software/dp/Multisamples Folder" is the registry entry that Dimension Pro uses to find the .ogg, .wav, and .sfz multisample files it uses.

"HKLM/Software/Cakewalk Music Software/dp/Contents Folder" is the registry entry that Dimension Pro uses to find its other resource folders ( /documentation/, /elements/, /midi/, /programs/, /resources/, etc.).  

The keys serve the same functions for Dimension Pro 1.5 on Vista/Win7 platform as well, but the folders they keys point to may vary.  On the Mac platform these keys are in configuration files.
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Can I move my DimPro Programs? 2011/01/03 11:25:33 (permalink)
    techead

On an XP system,

"HKLM/Software/Cakewalk Music Software/dp/Multisamples Folder" is the registry entry that Dimension Pro uses to find the .ogg, .wav, and .sfz multisample files it uses.

"HKLM/Software/Cakewalk Music Software/dp/Contents Folder" is the registry entry that Dimension Pro uses to find its other resource folders ( /documentation/, /elements/, /midi/, /programs/, /resources/, etc.).  

The keys serve the same functions for Dimension Pro 1.5 on Vista/Win7 platform as well, but the folders they keys point to may vary.  On the Mac platform these keys are in configuration files.

With v1.5 the "Contents Folder" key doesn't seem to point to where .prog files are stored anymore. It seems to be hard coded.  Unless I'm missing something, or it only works on Win XP.  On my Win 7 system, no matter where those registry keys are pointing, the .prog files have to be in %programdata%\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs

Has anyone been able to move their Programs folder for v1.5 to some other location?
    techead
    Re:Can I move my DimPro Programs? 2011/01/03 19:55:59 (permalink)
    My Dimension Pro is 1.5 but it is running on XP 32bit.  Both keys are currently pointing to the default location of a default installation.

My experimentation with the Content Folders key was done on XP 32bit.  I have not installed and tried it on Win7 64bit.

Perhaps you are running 64bit and the proper registry key that should be modified is slightly different place in the registry?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1