Can I record my piano's built in sounds via MIDI?

Author
bibbis
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2013/07/29 10:26:45 (permalink)

Can I record my piano's built in sounds via MIDI?

I have an electric piano, Yamaha CP50, and I'm wondering if I can record the piano's built in sounds via MIDI?

I'v tried setting up the piano as a MIDI-controller and that works great, but since my piano has a really beautiful sound I would like to record that instead of using a MIDI/VST piano sound.

Can this be done via MIDI in MC6?

6 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Can I record my piano's built in sounds via MIDI? 2013/07/29 10:44:45 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum.
    Yes you can. Just record/write your MIDI track using the CP50 or mouse.
    Plug the audio output of the Yamaha into your sound card/interface's input.
    Set the MIDI track's output to the MIDI device you're using.
    Set an audio track's input to your sound card/interface.
    Hit the R in the audio track. Hit Play. Set the recording level (this is done with your sound card's mixer; Cakewalk can't control the input).
    Once the level is set, rewind and hit the record buttion in the transport box. The MIDI track will play through the CP50 and the keyboard's audio output will be recorded in the audio track.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    bibbis
    Re: Can I record my piano's built in sounds via MIDI? 2013/07/29 11:52:23 (permalink)
    57Gregy
    Welcome to the forum.
    Yes you can. Just record/write your MIDI track using the CP50 or mouse.
    Plug the audio output of the Yamaha into your sound card/interface's input.
    Set the MIDI track's output to the MIDI device you're using.
    Set an audio track's input to your sound card/interface.
    Hit the R in the audio track. Hit Play. Set the recording level (this is done with your sound card's mixer; Cakewalk can't control the input).
    Once the level is set, rewind and hit the record buttion in the transport box. The MIDI track will play through the CP50 and the keyboard's audio output will be recorded in the audio track.

Thanks!

Wow that was more complicated than I thought :P

I will try it out and see if I can get it to work.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Can I record my piano's built in sounds via MIDI? 2013/07/29 13:53:17 (permalink)
    If you don't want to record the MIDI, but direct live audio, the "MIDI-steps" are not needed. Just record from your
    keyboards audio outputs. MIDI has no sound, it's like digital sheet music, that's why the extra steps are needed, if you want to record the MIDI in order to be able to edit your performance afterwards.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    bibbis
    Re: Can I record my piano's built in sounds via MIDI? 2013/07/29 14:14:22 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    If you don't want to record the MIDI, but direct live audio, the "MIDI-steps" are not needed. Just record from your
    keyboards audio outputs. MIDI has no sound, it's like digital sheet music, that's why the extra steps are needed, if you want to record the MIDI in order to be able to edit your performance afterwards.

I will buy me a new USB interface after the summer that has several 1/4" inputs so that I will be able to record my piano trough "audio" instead of MIDI.
    Right now I just have an interface that has one XLR and one 1/4" so if I use it for my piano I either have to record in MONO or record on my piano and then play back and alternate between the R and L inputs while recording in MC and that's just annoying :P

I was just thinking that while I'm waiting to buy a bigger interface, maybe there was an easy way to reverse the MIDI signals.
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Can I record my piano's built in sounds via MIDI? 2013/07/30 09:48:31 (permalink)
    What is your current audio/MIDI interface?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Can I record my piano's built in sounds via MIDI? 2013/07/30 09:51:56 (permalink)
    What interface do you have? Does that XLR happen to be the kind that accepts also 1/4" plugs? They usually are.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1