Can I save an Automation curve ?

Author
JCB
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
2017/06/08 11:50:18 (permalink)

Can I save an Automation curve ?

I have volume automation on a track that is quite complex. A small part of the automation is at maximum and I would like to increase the volume of this small part of the curve. I would like to save the automation curve so that I can delete it, increase the track Gain, and then reinstate the curve. Is it possible to save a complete automation curve?
Thanks.

Sonar Platinum 64 bit; Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0 GHz; 16GB DDR4 RAM; Asus Z170-A with Asus Thunderbolt EX 2/Dual; Win10 64 Bit; Focusrite Clarett 4Pre (Thunderbolt)

7 Replies Related Threads

Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Can I save an Automation curve ? 2017/06/08 12:12:24 (permalink)
    I don't think so but I don't understand why you would need to?
    Can't you just increase track gain via the gain knob? And/or use offset mode?
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Can I save an Automation curve ? 2017/06/08 12:56:12 (permalink)
    It is possible to copy automation curves (or temporarily reassign them) but when it is copied back the volume will be set to the values in the automation envelope. As mentioned above, if this is an audio track gain issue use the gain knob in the Inspector. If this is an instrument track split it to gain access to the audio gain knob. Otherwise offset mode can adjust volume without changing the automation curve.
    joden
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1263
    Re: Can I save an Automation curve ? 2017/06/08 14:43:31 (permalink)
    Why not simply press the llittle tab that drops the Automation to its ow little track below the audio? This then allows any sort of manipulation of the actual audio part. Its the second button on the bottom left section of the track pane. Looks like a zigzag. Unless of course I am misunderstanding the question haha!
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Can I save an Automation curve ? 2017/06/08 15:25:37 (permalink)
    I'd go with the Sanderxpander offset mode suggestion. 

Another option would be to lower the level of the entire curve in the automation lane (hover the cursor toward the top of the lane and drag down), raise the one section you want to raise, and then increase the track level. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    JCB
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re: Can I save an Automation curve ? 2017/06/09 09:25:02 (permalink)
    These are all very helpful in different ways and very much appreciated.
    I found the simplest method for me was to insert a (EQ) plugin that has an output Gain and made an envelope from this. The small area to be adjusted was then only three nodes in the EQ plugin. This saved me from trying to lower and adjust the extensive number of nodes in my Volume envelope, and adjusting the Track Gain (overall).
    My problem arose from me having the Track Gain too low at the start of recording. I'll watch this next time.
    Many thanks again.

Sonar Platinum 64 bit; Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0 GHz; 16GB DDR4 RAM; Asus Z170-A with Asus Thunderbolt EX 2/Dual; Win10 64 Bit; Focusrite Clarett 4Pre (Thunderbolt)
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Can I save an Automation curve ? 2017/06/09 15:04:51 (permalink)
    JCB
    My problem arose from me having the Track Gain too low at the start of recording. I'll watch this next time.

Don't forget you can normalize after the fact to raise overall gain.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    brconflict
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1891
    Re: Can I save an Automation curve ? 2017/06/09 16:55:17 (permalink)
    Automation envelopes are quite good in Sonar. You can even Copy -> Paste them, which is handy for copying the envelope to a separate track. I think you can even paste them to multiple tracks.

Craig mentioned the Offset mode and Normalization. Those are also good, IMO.

One of the Feature Requests I made some time ago was a Ctrl+drag a fader (or some function like that), which would not only adjust the fader, but also the automation envelope(s) of the whole track without needing Offset mode. Quick and easy way to move the entire envelope vs having to expand the track view, select the entire clip or set of clips, then Ctrl+drag the envelope(s) to make this adjustment. The only limitation is that the fader will only move up or down to the minimum or maximum volume of the envelope. So, if you have a quick Volume automation moment where it spikes high, you may not be able to raise the fader much. 

Same with Pan and other controls. It's like temporarily switching to Offset mode and back, but you can do this an infinite number of times, having never entered Offset mode.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1