Can I use my actual keyboard sounds in recording?

Author
jh20sjr
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 32
2005/06/11 09:30:37 (permalink)

Can I use my actual keyboard sounds in recording?

When I record in MIDI, I obviously get the MIDI sounds from the compuuter and my sound card when I record. However, I REALLY like the Piano and the Strings patches on my Korg keyboard, and they sound more authentic than the Cakewalk piano midi sounds and the strings. Is there any way that I can use the patches within my keyboard? Thanks!

Jeff

3 Replies Related Threads

TGRANT
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Can I use my actual keyboard sounds in recording? 2005/06/11 11:33:41 (permalink)
    There may be someone that knows how to do that, but I don’t think it is possible.

The MIDI messages from the keyboard and recorded by Cakewalk are just instructions to the instrument (sound card or keyboard) on what notes to play. There is no sound associated with them. Think of the old player pianos. The paper roll instructs the individual instrument, but doesn’t in of itself carry any sound. Any sound coming out of your computer is going to be from the sounds stored in the computer. The only way I know of to get your keyboard’s sounds into the computer is to record it as audio (with a mic I front of the keyboard speaker).

There may be ways to transfer the sounds from the keyboard into the computer using sound fonts, but my sound card doesn’t support them so I never learned much about sound fonts in the first place. The keyboard would have to use that technology a well, and I’m not sure if yours or any keyboard has that capability.
    Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    RE: Can I use my actual keyboard sounds in recording? 2005/06/11 21:36:25 (permalink)
    Unfortunately Music Creator does not allow you to define and import other banks of Midi. You can do it in Sonar4 if the manufacturer of your keyboard synthesizer will make the banks available. Most of them have an area on thier web site that allow you to download them. There's even an area on the Cakewalk site that has a whole list of available downloads specifically for this purpose. But as I stated before Music Creator software does not possess the feature to allow you to define and import them.

I remember reading a thread in this forum about this very subject. Apparently someone found a "work-around" to import additional midi banks. I remember, while I was reading it, that I really didn't understand what they were talking about because I was just a raw beginner. But I do remember reading it. So you might want to spend some time doing a search to see if you can locate that thread. It might help you out.

When I want to use the sounds from my keyboard I just record with an audio track instead of a midi track. My keyboard has audio outputs (probably intended for additional speakers) that I can connect to my soundcard. The outputs are RCA plugs and I just use RCA cords with 1/4" TRS adapters on the end that plugs into the soundcard. The sound comes out great! And the sounds are pre-panned and EQ'd already which saves a lot of work. (Although you'll still need to tweek it some.)

Anyway I hope this has helped.
    post edited by Peter Rabbit - 2005/06/11 21:48:36

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    millerbill
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: Can I use my actual keyboard sounds in recording? 2005/06/12 23:18:37 (permalink)
    If your keyboard has audio out - [usually RCA Jacks like a stereo] you can record through audio on your sound card [usually line-in]and get the sound of your keyboard. Of course then it will not be MIDI and you won't be able to edit.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1