Can MIDI pattern files be imported into P5?

Author
LKDog
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 150
2004/01/21 14:07:26 (permalink)

Can MIDI pattern files be imported into P5?

I was wondering if existing MIDI files can be imported into P5, particularly of drum tracks that I already have from Drumtrax 3.0, or other apps.

The "pattern" files in P5 have their own file extension I see.
Is there a way to import standard one track MIDI drum paterns?
I am kind of new at working with softsynths so I aplogize if I am missing something here.
Thanks again in advance for your help.

8 Replies Related Threads

jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: Can MIDI pattern files be imported into P5? 2004/01/21 14:16:06 (permalink)
    Click on file then click on import,, notice the file types,, load a midi pattern you want,, P5 can also import multitrack midi files , you have the option of inserting the parts on one track or multi tracks.. After importing your midi file in the track view right click and select replace synth,, now you have the option of routing your midi file through a different synth,,,, also if you wish to save your file as .ptn a p5 ext.. just click save file in the P-seq.. it's done automatically,,,
    < Message edited by jardim do mar -- 1/21/2004 2:25:41 PM >
    LKDog
    RE: Can MIDI pattern files be imported into P5? 2004/01/21 22:36:04 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help.
    I was looking in Import Audio and overlooked the Import drop down choice.
    Kind of silly on my part.
    I did load a pattern into a track and then inserted a synth.
    The MIDI notes did not show up in P-seq. Are they supposed to?
    I tried Npulse, then Velocity for the imported drum patterns.
    I had no idea if I was going to get any notes or not.
    This happens to me even when I load a P5 .ptn
    drum pattern (Trance,Philly,NPulse).
    It seems that the patterns dont match the drumkit assigned note/patches and nothing plays or only one part of the drumkit plays like a high hat, etc.

So, I now have two questions:
    1) Is there a way to have the pattern notes show up when you import a Midi file?
    2) Is there something to try to get the drum patterns to match up to a P5 drumkit?

Thanks.
    LKDog
    RE: Can MIDI pattern files be imported into P5? 2004/01/21 23:09:10 (permalink)
    OK, I found a soundfont drumkit that matches up with GM note assignments.
    The kit I found is actually pretty nice (ns_kit6_bigkit.sf2) from natural studio.
    So I tried this SF2 drumkit in the DS684 and it played the pattern pretty much as it would sound through a GM soundbank or variant.

Still don't know what the deal is with the .ptn P5 patterns.
    Are you supposed to assign custom drum kit pieces in Velocity?
    jardim do mar
    RE: Can MIDI pattern files be imported into P5? 2004/01/21 23:23:08 (permalink)
    The MIDI notes did not show up in P-seq. Are they supposed to?

You have to double click on the pattern in the track view,,, then you should see the notes in the P-seq.... Try routing the pattern through the Edirol vsc,,,,,,
    < Message edited by jardim do mar -- 1/21/2004 11:28:54 PM >
    LKDog
    RE: Can MIDI pattern files be imported into P5? 2004/01/22 02:19:32 (permalink)
    Thanks again. Worked out great.
    monzer1971
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Can MIDI pattern files be imported into P5? 2004/01/24 02:44:42 (permalink)
    Finally someone ask same question that I really want to know the right answer to it
    Can MIDI pattern files be imported...? And someone answer: and you answer was :
    Click on file then click on import, notice the file types, load a midi pattern you want, P5 can also import multitrack midi files, you have the option of inserting the parts on one track or multi tracks. After importing your midi file in the track view right click and select replace synth,
    Here is the point (view right click and select replace synth).
    Do I have to do this? I mean in the Sonar when we imported midi file Sonar play the midi normal?
    And if we import multitrack midi files that mean if the midi file include 16 tracks that mean we have replace with 16 synths is that good? What do you think?
    Buy the way if the track include drum how can we know witch track is if we cant here it first normal without any synth?
    I have read a bout this and I get this point: load the synth if you want to here normal instrument put the select patch preset to none but did not solve the problem, you here synth sound.
    jardim do mar
    RE: Can MIDI pattern files be imported into P5? 2004/01/24 09:28:39 (permalink)
    "After importing your midi file in the track view right click and select replace synth,
    Here is the point (view right click and select replace synth).
    Do I have to do this?"

You have to right click replace synth if you don't hear sound from the midi track.... or Right click ,, insert synth gives you an option of using different synths through your midi track,,
    Jeremy Parker [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Can MIDI pattern files be imported into P5? 2004/02/19 11:02:16 (permalink)
    If you're importing a general MIDI file with multiple MIDI tracks and you want to play it back, you can do this in Project5 if you have a multi-timbral synth that supports general MIDI. I don't think this is really Project5's strong point - I would use a product like Sonar for this. P5 is geared more toward loop-based composing. However, you CAN do this fairly easily in P5...

When importing a multi-track MIDI file, P5 will ask if you want to import all MIDI tracks onto the same P5 track. Click yes. P5 will create new patterns for all MIDI tracks and put them all on a new P5 track.

Notice each pattern instance in the arrangement will have the name of the MIDI track that it came from, so you can tell which part is which. For example "Standard Drum Set".

Then right-click on the new P5 track in the track strip and choose "Replace Synth". Select a multi-timbral synth and select a general midi patch.

If you have a pattern that you've composed elsewhere and saved as a MIDI file, Project5 will open it as a pattern exactly as you would expect.

I hope this is helpful.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1