Can Rapture defaults follow our folder copies?

Author
thndrsn
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 475
2006/11/13 12:55:49 (permalink)

Can Rapture defaults follow our folder copies?

Hi, all:
I see that the installation puts everything in the \Program Files\ folder along with the executable--all the samples, programs, patches, etc., etc. Changing the location of the progam data (confusing name, right?) folder is easy enough. I can put "Classic Pad.prog" anywhere on the computer and still find it when I want to load, modify, and "save as...", but ...

There was no option during installation to browse for an alternate data files location, but even though it's all already installed in \Program Files\, I would prefer not to further fragment my applications partition. I would prefer to put ALL of the dynamic data in another location.

I have copied all of the folders except the Resources folder (which only contains images and other fixed (?) data) and the Documents folder (which will also likely not change) onto another partition where I generally keep---not sample libraries, they're too space-consuming, but---patches, presets, bank information, and other settings type of data. I have another drive dedicated to samples per se, and its 300 GB is pretty stuffed. But the samples used by Rapture are mostly small, one-shot single-cycle waves with one sample covering the entire gamut, so they'll be okay in my presets partition.

I know that Rapture can be instructed to look in any drive/partition/folder to find the programs and elements, since the Load Program and Load Element dialogue boxes have browsers, but what about the other types of data that Rapture uses?

Is there a way to change the default locations in which Rapture loads and saves all the various kinds of modifyable data in all of those other folders? A registry change, perhaps? I really don't want an instrument or other executable modifying the \Program Files\ folder any more than absolutely necessary with library-type data files.

Am I overcomplicating this by mentioning the registry? Is there an easier, more obvious way that I've missed? There's nothing about this in the manual, or on the forum that I could find.

Thanks in advance.

--thndrsn

Beethoven was right: the bigger the stream, the deeper the tone.

5 Replies Related Threads

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Can Rapture defaults follow our folder copies? 2006/11/13 13:32:40 (permalink)
    The installer will give you the option to install Rapture anywhere. The Program Files folder is the default, but you can change it to any drive and folder.

-René
    thndrsn
    RE: Can Rapture defaults follow our folder copies? 2006/11/14 06:45:26 (permalink)
    Rene,
    Yes, I understand/understood that. I don't want to install the program elsewhere, just the data. (Though it seems that the 'program' is just a single .dll file, perhaps?) So I should uninstall Rapture and then re-install it in my VST or DXI folder?
    You seem to be implying that the default directory paths for all but the programs and elements are hard-coded in the source code and not specified in a registry entry or configuration file.
    Let me ask this, then: does a path to a preset or a .wav file, or other data used by a .prog file reside in the .prog file? Or is it fixed in the installation folder? Or perhaps better: can I move all the data folders to another partition? If so, how? I want to put it where I have room to expand without creating fragmentation problems for the core SONAR/P5/Kinetic executables in my \Program Files\ folder-partition.
    --thndrsn

René
    RE: Can Rapture defaults follow our folder copies? 2006/11/14 08:59:19 (permalink)
    Rapture will install several folders under the selected installation path, including:

\Documentation
    \LFO Waveforms
    \MIDI (Created on MIDI Learn)
    \Multisamples
    \Programs
    \Resources
    \Sample Pool
    \Tunings

The "program" itself is the collection of all that. It is possible to relocate individual components (such as \Programs and \Multisamples), but in every case some funcionality is lost. For instance, if you move the \Programs folder, the 'Load..." dialog won't open in the moved location per default.

I suggest to install the whole program together, in any drive and folder.

-René
    thndrsn
    RE: Can Rapture defaults follow our folder copies? 2006/11/16 04:49:41 (permalink)
    Rene,
    Thanks, I think I may do that. Will I have any problems uninstalling it? Do I use the Windows Add/Remove programs to do this, or just delete the folders? I notice that there is no entry for Rapture in the Start Menu, so there is no Uninstaller available there.

How do I cleanly uninstall it from its present location?

Thanks in advance,

--thndrsn

post edited by thndrsn - 2006/11/16 05:09:09

René
    RE: Can Rapture defaults follow our folder copies? 2006/11/16 09:05:02 (permalink)
    You can uninstall Rapture from the Control Panel, Add/Remove programs. Unless you instructed the installer not to create it, there should be an entry for Rapture in the Start Menu.

-René
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1