Can a PC laptop be as efficient as audio workstation compared to desktop computer??

Author
Neel1
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 129
2010/08/18 02:53:28 (permalink)

Can a PC laptop be as efficient as audio workstation compared to desktop computer??

I have been using Desktop PCs all my life, with a Delta 1010LT soundcard to record music in my home studio....But recently I've acquired a new firewire soundcard...the Profire 610 and it really makes me want to get a laptop so that I can become a mobile recording engineer and record pretty much anywhere carrying my laptop around with my firewire soundcard! But there are some people who say that laptops aren't as efficient compared to desktop computers.....

What do you think about it? If I really get myself a laptop, I will also have to look for the appropriate firewire card with Texas chipset for it!!!

Can I get some advice on the subject? Are you able to work and record big projects (Say with 25 tracks or more) on a laptop? Thanks in advance for the help!

"Step out of your cage and onto the stage
It's time to start playing your part"

Model: Intel Pentium OS: Windows 7 Professional CPU:i7-2600 CPU @3.40 GHZ Memory: 8.00 GB (2 X 4GB) System type: 64 bit operating system M-Audio Products: Profire 2626 (5.10.0.5082 1.0.8.1 driver), Sonar 8.5, Cubase 5, Reason 4 Model: Macbook Pro

11 Replies Related Threads

SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    Re:Can a PC laptop be as efficient as audio workstation compared to desktop computer?? 2010/08/18 09:33:52 (permalink)
    I purchased a custom built from Jim a few years ago and it's still working as new, superbly built, rock solid, it's super-powerful performance blows me away.

Check out this laptop: Click Here this would be a great professional 'mobile-studio'.

If you're not prepared to spend big on a laptop, then I suggest you go for a custom Core.i7 'Pro-Rack' PC much like this: Click Here and again, it can be custom built to suit your budget and needs.

Hope that helps! You will not be disappointed :)

-

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Can a PC laptop be as efficient as audio workstation compared to desktop computer?? 2010/08/18 13:24:49 (permalink)
    Neel1

I have been using Desktop PCs all my life, with a Delta 1010LT soundcard to record music in my home studio....But recently I've acquired a new firewire soundcard...the Profire 610 and it really makes me want to get a laptop so that I can become a mobile recording engineer and record pretty much anywhere carrying my laptop around with my firewire soundcard! But there are some people who say that laptops aren't as efficient compared to desktop computers.....

What do you think about it? If I really get myself a laptop, I will also have to look for the appropriate firewire card with Texas chipset for it!!!

Can I get some advice on the subject? Are you able to work and record big projects (Say with 25 tracks or more) on a laptop? Thanks in advance for the help!

Any modern laptop can do 25 tracks easy.   Might want to confirm the speed of the drive. You don't want anything slower then 5400rpm and 7200rpm would be best.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Can a PC laptop be as efficient as audio workstation compared to desktop computer?? 2010/08/18 13:45:58 (permalink)
    Any modern laptop can do 25 tracks easy.

Running Profire Firewire audio interface from which Firewire controller?
    At what latency setting?

With a laptop, you have to be careful with your choices.
    ie:  The Profire's typically don't work well with non TI chipset FW controllers.  This is true of most FW audio interfaces.
    (MOTU FW audio interfaces won't even install with some JMicron FW controllers... let alone work well.)
    If you're wanting to use a Firewire audio interface (particularly at low latency settings), your choices are critical.

If the OP is wanting a laptop that's on par with the best desktops, yes it's possible... but it gets expensive.
    Usually too expensive for any but those who truly need the capability/portability.
    Unless you're traveling... I'd opt to avoid using a laptop.  You'll get a whole lot more "bang for the buck" with a tower/rack/cube.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:Can a PC laptop be as efficient as audio workstation compared to desktop computer?? 2010/08/18 14:37:20 (permalink)
    Have you looked into the ESATA laptop cards? You can get an external drive that runs via ESATA boosting Data speeds up far beyond that of a Firewire port and starting to get closer to tower speeds... well for the hard drive solution atleast... Then of course you could also get an external PCI mini box that can send data at PCI card speeds externally to an adapter card...

Still won't come close to a "custom built" desktop but it starts to get close....

http://www.iogear.com/product/GPS702W6/

post edited by jasonthurley - 2010/08/18 14:41:37
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:Can a PC laptop be as efficient as audio workstation compared to desktop computer?? 2010/08/18 14:38:55 (permalink)
    Her is an external PCI interface for a "desktop sound card"

Just get an adapter card for your laptop and you are cookin... you can even unplug and move it back to your desktop

http://www.span.com/produ...aseus&currency=USD
    Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    Re:Can a PC laptop be as efficient as audio workstation compared to desktop computer?? 2010/08/18 22:42:45 (permalink)
    Yes.

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    Neel1
    Re:Can a PC laptop be as efficient as audio workstation compared to desktop computer?? 2010/08/18 23:36:27 (permalink)
    Sometimes I am really tempted to shift to a MAC....A mac book....Because at least with one, I won't need to take care of the fuss of finding a suitable adapter for the firewire plug of my card! But then I won't be able to use Sonar which has always been my primary DAW...I still have some few months to think about it before really purchasing this mobile (PC or MAC).....

Thanks a lot for your input!! I am feeling more confident now into going with the mobile gear!

Model: Intel Pentium OS: Windows 7 Professional CPU:i7-2600 CPU @3.40 GHZ Memory: 8.00 GB (2 X 4GB) System type: 64 bit operating system M-Audio Products: Profire 2626 (5.10.0.5082 1.0.8.1 driver), Sonar 8.5, Cubase 5, Reason 4 Model: Macbook Pro
    windsurfer25x
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Can a PC laptop be as efficient as audio workstation compared to desktop computer?? 2010/08/19 09:39:21 (permalink)
    You bet it can,

if you want to stick with firewire though you might have some issues.

I have a Sager NP9280, it has a desktop Intel i7-950 processor in it (not the dumbed down laptop i7) this thing has 3 internal HDD's, a 17 inch laptop... but it isn't exactly what most people would think of as a "laptop" as it's thick and weights like 12lbs! The power supply is a big and heavy black brick.

I use the V-Studio 100 and a Tascam US-2000 (both USB 2.0 interfaces) 

I use the Tascam only for multitracking audio as it's a 16 in 4 out interface and its driver support for windows 7 64 bit isn't there yet, I'm using Vista 64 bit drivers but the unit is perfectly fine for tracking just audio (don't try do any software processing on it though)

For everything else I use the V-Studio 100 (smaller projects) mixing and mastering etc. I love this unit! A portable wave recording, audio interface and control surface! as well as a digital mixer.

Ontop of this I have 6U portable rack which I have some rack units in (including the Tascam US-2000) this rack is like a piece of suitcase luggage (it has wheels and an extendable handle) 

Together these hardware pieces make up my mobile rig! And so far it works great!

Mind you a "laptop" like the Sager NP9280 will start around $2200 US 
    It's a sweet computer that can support the newest intel desktop processors including the lastest i7-980x, a 6 - core extreme processor as well as Nvidia's latest GTX 480m,
    I highly recommend if you're looking for a portable solution but be warned to thoroughly investigate it's firewire compatibility, I had issues when trying out some firewire interfaces at a local store so I went with USB instead... with the V-Studio 100 I can get down to just under 10msec round trip latency, the tascam US 2000 has hardware monitoring, but if you need to software monitor.. at this point I would not recommend the Tascam US-2000... for me it works great as a cheaper 16 input audio interface with hardware monitoring.. don't expect it to do anything else though.

Hope this helps!

post edited by windsurfer25x - 2010/08/19 09:43:13

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
    Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Can a PC laptop be as efficient as audio workstation compared to desktop computer?? 2010/08/20 00:15:00 (permalink)
    I have been running a stock off the shelf Dell Inspiron 1720 for almost 3 years now. I don't often record more than a dozen tracks. I have no problems.

I am however, building a new box (not a lappy) to run faster processing and more memory. I plan to keep both running.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Neel1
    Re:Can a PC laptop be as efficient as audio workstation compared to desktop computer?? 2010/08/21 23:39:27 (permalink)
    What is the life span of a soundcard of the category of Delta 1010LT? Can anyone of you tell? I've been using one since 2005 approximately! I suppose that at one point it will break down! Hope it is a late as possible...Mine already has 5 years of age, and been moved from one system to another during that period! It is still working well but sometimes there are some surprises, unexplained freezes of the sound....I hear one very loud sound continuously and the only way to stop it is by shutting down the PC...Otherwise the soundcard seems to work well....

What could be the life span of a Delta 1010LT? Do you have any experience of this?
    post edited by Neel1 - 2010/08/21 23:44:26

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Can a PC laptop be as efficient as audio workstation compared to desktop computer?? 2010/08/22 14:09:29 (permalink)
    Neel1

What is the life span of a soundcard of the category of Delta 1010LT? Can anyone of you tell? I've been using one since 2005 approximately! I suppose that at one point it will break down! Hope it is a late as possible...Mine already has 5 years of age, and been moved from one system to another during that period! It is still working well but sometimes there are some surprises, unexplained freezes of the sound....I hear one very loud sound continuously and the only way to stop it is by shutting down the PC...Otherwise the soundcard seems to work well....

What could be the life span of a Delta 1010LT? Do you have any experience of this?

I had one that was nice for the time.... however, when I upgraded my OS, it refused to work.... I called the company and was told they had NO PLANS to release new drivers for that card. So without drivers... it was a worthless piece of history.

I suspect that if the card's drivers are compatible with the OS... you should be good.... unless it dies or gets hit by a surge.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1