Can anybody help - my PC's USB ports keep randomly failing.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re:Can anybody help - my PC's USB ports keep randomly failing. 2012/08/08 10:22:42 (permalink)
I was going to PhotoShop a Windows 7 options screen with a "Randomly Cause USB Ports To Fail" line checked, but I couldn't be arsed to do it this time...

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
JohnoL
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 241
Re:Can anybody help - my PC's USB ports keep randomly failing. 2012/08/08 12:00:50 (permalink)
I'm having the same problem with windows 7. I have disabled all the power saving, run memtest and other tests. My freezes were/are  occuring once a day, or maybe twice a week. I switched the keyboard and mouse to different ports and it's helped a little. This machine is not my DAW but just an off the shelf Dell from Best Buy.
spacey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re:Can anybody help - my PC's USB ports keep randomly failing. 2012/08/08 12:17:49 (permalink)
Steve I don't know everything you've tried but I found this too.
Did you run ckdisk yet?
And sorry if this is just added aggravation.

With a new device driver installed, the majority of problems should be resolved. If not, however, you can reinstall the USB controllers, via Start > right-click Computer > Properties > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Start with the USB Root Hub devices and reinstall the drivers by right-clicking and selecting Uninstall; once this is done, go to Action > Scan for hardware changes… to begin reinstallation.
One last thought – if new drivers don’t resolve the problems you’re facing, try the same device on a different computer; the problem might relate not to the hardware but to your USB cable. If you suspect this, find a good quality replacement cable.
Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
Re:Can anybody help - my PC's USB ports keep randomly failing. 2012/08/08 15:51:15 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

Hang about....

Would this be it Mark, I've gone direct to the Power Management settings and the USB Selective Suspend setting was Enabled.

I've just changed it to Disabled:

Was gonna say ... if that does not work, it would be time for another motherboard.

And yeah ... takes a while to get past all those small settings in Windows ... now I have to recheck mine on that, although mine likes to go to sleep after 20 minutes even though all the power settings are turned off!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1