Can your room make a huge difference?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sylvan
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 793
2007/10/30 17:41:51 (permalink)

I am totally unhappy with the recordings I have been putting out lately. My equipment is pretty good. I use RME FireFace 800 for converters, I have preamps from Presonus and Mackie, I use decent mics, I use Sonar 6 Producer etc...

But my recordings are dull and boomy. EQ doesn't fix it to the level I would like. I have a feeling that my room is too dead and the low bass frequencies in the room are smeared and over-represented.

If my room had nice hardwood and bass traps etc..., do you think I would see a significant change in my recordings?

I am in this room temporarily until I find a new place. I know my mixing area is horrible too. A few years ago I feel I produced better recordings with less equipment.

But I need to narrow it down for sure, because it costs a lot to treat a room properly. What do you guys think?

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
Asus X99-AII
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB

48 Replies Related Threads

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/30 17:45:14 (permalink)
    So you have different rooms for tracking vs. mixing, or are they the same place? And what size are the rooms (or the single room)?

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Sylvan
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/30 17:59:50 (permalink)
    Well, it is kind of seperate but not totally. The room is a converted garage that was originally setup as a band practice room. There is a band that still practices there once a week. So it is really padded down with all kinds or crap.

I would guess that it is about 18'X20" and then there is a little alcove about 6'X4' that I have my gear setup in. I may be off on my dementions because I have never actually measured it and I am not there right now.

I rent the place for very cheap but I have to share it with the band. My original studio was a real studio but the owner wanted to tear down the building and build something else so my lease was ended.

I am desperate to keep my business going so I rent this converted garage for now, but things are sounding so bad that I am starting to lose confidence in myself, doubting my abilities.

I have been hear for a couple of years and I do feel the recording in the other place were better, but i still feel like I should be able to pull something decent from the place I am in now. But it just isn't happening.

I talked with the owner of the garage and he will allow me to treat the room, but I am wondering if that will really help, or maybe I have just lost my touch.

Oh, the ceiling is probably 8' high.

SONAR Platinum
    RME Fireface UFX
    Tascam US 20X20
    Tascam US 16X08
    Asus X99-AII
    Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/30 21:16:13 (permalink)
    if your room is untreated it is almost certainly the room. there's a lot of info here on room treatment, a search should get you tons of threads.

my advice - when things don't sound the way you want, spend money at the beginning of the signal chain (you, your room, your instruments) rather than the end (converters, DAWs, computers). good mics and preamps will only serve to more accurately capture a nasty-sounding room, although they make more of a difference than the rest of the recording equipment.

also (kinda OT), don't skimp on cables. there's no reason to buy them twice. you can read my sig to know how i feel about munster cables, mogami is good, others will recommend canare or building your own.

from my own personal experience, these are the top things that made a difference in my sound, in no particular order:

1. getting better as a musician (free, but time-consuming)
    2. getting comfortable recording (free, but time-consuming)
    3. getting a good headphone mix ($100 for a pair of studio-grade headphones, practice)
    4. buying a better-sounding guitar ($600 for taylor 110 + flight case)
    5. experimenting with mic positions (free, but time-consuming)
    6. learning good mixing techniques (free, but time-consuming)
    7. going from an SBLive to an echo mia midi ($130 at the time)
    8. getting the real traps portable vocal booth ($300)

- jack the ex-cynic
    droddey
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/30 22:20:13 (permalink)
    You left treating the room out of the list :-) So maybe stick that in there at 0. But yeh, getting the room right, which allows you to to both record better and to mix it better once it's on disk, is a big one. Is the alcove like a little separate room with just a door opening into the larger space, or is it basically completely open to the larger space? It's so small that if you tried to really fully treat it with bass traps, there'd be nowhere left to put anything. So I'm assuming it's mostly open to the larger space and that treating that will cover you fairly well for both since that large space would be represent the room overall, even for the mixing area, but that's just a guess.

For the recording space, fully treating it could be a bit costly. One way to do it would be to build a second wall, in a couple inches from the actual wall. It could be made of 1x4 studs from floor to ceiling, 4' apart, with a cross piece at 4' height. Cover it like thin chicken wire on the back. Buy boxes of 703 insulation and place them into the wall sections. They are 2x4' and you need two of them to get the 4" you need for good absorption, so you would get 8 of them in each of those 4x4' wall areas. Just stand them up on end and stick them into the cell. Then just put a cloth covering over the inside part of the wall. You can just staple it up.

It would take like 7" away on each wall, but that would almost completely decouple your practice space from the room walls, and since the faux wall is out a few inches from the real wall, it would give excellent bass absorption all around. The wood and nails probably wouldn't cost very mcuh at all. The 703 would cost you a bit, but you'd be buying enough that you should be able to go to a commercial seller and get it, since it would be enough that they'd bother to deal with you. Not sure how much that would cost you. I assume if you are buying that much insulation that you could get 8 of them for around $50 or $60 bucks or something like that maybe? But you'd avoid the expense of buying trap bags for the insulation and just build it into the fairly inexpensive faux wall.

I dunno, that's my idea for a home grown solution. It would probably make for a nice tight sounding room, but I could be wrong, not being an accoustician. If it's too expensive, maybe start with the wall that the band plays towards, then do the side walls next, and then the wall behind them.
    post edited by droddey - 2007/10/30 22:34:47

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    sethmopod
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/31 00:20:30 (permalink)
    I remodeled a basement room into a studio few years back and used the false wall idea and it worked really well. It was a bit different that droddey's suggestion though.

I built the wall at an angle to the rest of the room so that it would knock off the standing waves, stuffed it with a lot of extra insulation, and covered it over with regular sheet rock. It made an immediate and dramatic difference in the sound of the room. I used the regular sheet rock because I didn't want to evenly absorb all frequencies. The sheet rock reflects the higher end frequencies, but the longer wavelength bass frequencies pass through it more and get absobed by the insulation.

If your recordings are sounding muddy, you may really need to control the low end without touching the high end so much. I spend a fair amount of my time as a professional orchestral bass player. If you pay even casual attention, you'll notice a violin to bass ratio of about 1 bass player per 8 violins. The low frequencies are just that much more powerful. A little goes a long way and it's easy for them to overpower everything else if they're just left bouncing around the room.

Good luck with whatever you try,
    Seth
    joshhunsaker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/31 07:04:30 (permalink)
    my two cents

get: akg k501 and $500 creek headphone amp.

practice mixing on it. mix 300 more songs and you will begin to improve.

everything else - spend the rest of your life practicing.

have fun!
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/31 08:31:34 (permalink)
    JBL LSR monitors
    It will be the best $1,000 ever spent
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/31 10:12:03 (permalink)

Yes.

Broadband bass trapping. You can never have too much.

Cheers.
    DreamzCatcher
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/31 10:31:44 (permalink)
    the room acoustics is more important than your monitors.

"Don't forget to imagine."
    Intel 965P-DS4 F5, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300@1.86GHz (x2), 2,096,620 KB RAM. Cubase SX 4, SoundForge 9.. Dynaudio Acoustics & Adam A7..
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/31 10:58:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

I may be off on my dementions

Very siggable material. Just FYI it's 'dimensions', but I agree this is much, much funnier. Keep headbangin'.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/31 11:23:51 (permalink)
    the room acoustics is more important than your monitors.

Having a good ear trumps all...
    Sylvan
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/31 11:46:09 (permalink)
    Thank you all very much for sharing your thoughts and ideas. I feel that the biggest problems are that there is not enough high end and too much low end in the room. I may be wrong, but this is my "gut feeling".

I think I will try adding some hardwood patches here and there on the walls and getting some bass traps from Real Traps. Also, I am totally on board with the cabling suggestions. I am going to buy a roll of Mogami cable and make my own cables.

The headphone mixing is a great idea too, even if only comparing between the monitors and phones, learning how it all translates to other playback systems.

CJ's suggerstion for monitors is something I want to look into as well. Right now I am unsing KRK V8's.

I will be looking into the rest of the suggestions as well.

At the tracking point is where I think most of the problem lies. I spend time on mic placement, but no matter what it seems lifless and boomy. It has to be the room. I am hoping it is because if it is not then I have lost me ear, my abilities, and the love of my life (audio engineering).

Thank you again,
    -Charles

SONAR Platinum
    RME Fireface UFX
    Tascam US 20X20
    Tascam US 16X08
    Asus X99-AII
    Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/31 11:58:12 (permalink)
    But I need to narrow it down for sure, because it costs a lot to treat a room properly.

While you can certainly spend a great deal of money on treatments, don't let cost deter you from taking action because you can make drastic improvements for maybe a couple hundred bucks.

It isn't that the bass is over-represented as much as the bass is unevenly represented. That's the result of peaks and nulls caused by room resonances. They'll mess up your recordings and make it next to impossible to properly EQ your mixes. You can't get rid of them, but you can smooth them out with bass traps.

Start with floor-to-ceiling corner traps made of 4 to 6 inches of 703 in wooden frames, 2 feet wide. You don't have to attach them to the wall (although that's best) - you can build them as free-standing units so you can easily take them with you when you move. You can do this in one afternoon for maybe $200 and you will hear an improvement right away.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/31 12:06:32 (permalink)
    Bitflipper offers good advice. Forget about diffusion/reflection treatments in a small residential room. Just trap bass. Doesn't have to be fancy or pretty or expensive to be effective.

cheers.
    trock8500
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/31 12:08:29 (permalink)
    room is number 1, period.

bop over here and start reading up, you can add some stuff to treat a room relatively cheaply

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php?sid=282265ab32e021fcc7827f1e84913dbc

and

http://www.realtraps.com/

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/10/31 20:42:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: droddey
    You left treating the room out of the list :-) So maybe stick that in there at 0.

well it was my own personal list, and i haven't treated my room. but if i had it would have been number 1 for sure. when i get a house, when i get a house...

- jack the ex-cynic
    KenJr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/11/04 23:43:26 (permalink)
    I have a quick question that relates to this thread...

I'm in a box for my home studio as well. Pretty much 12X12 with 9' ceilings.

I ordered some 703 and some bags to put them in. Unfortunately, I only ordered 2 4" bags as I was going to hang them in the corners on the same wall as my mixing desk. I bought 4 LENRD bass traps as well.

The 703 is 2' x 4' and my wall is 9' tall. What is the best spot to place that sheet of 703 on the wall? Could I do in the middle with a LENRD on the top and bottom of the wall and have roughly the same effect as putting 703 floor to ceiling?

I can go back and order more panels I guess, but hoping it's possible to get by with what I have on order now...

My Gear/Studio Pics
    My Music

<--Yes, that's a Paul Reed Smith acoustic...and I want one!!
    Rev. Jem
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1723
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/11/05 00:30:32 (permalink)
    Great that everyone chimed in but don't get distracted from the main point.

Check out my friend's Kymata Studios website for cheap & easy bass trap building.
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/11/05 01:32:14 (permalink)
    The 703 is 2' x 4' and my wall is 9' tall. What is the best spot to place that sheet of 703 on the wall? Could I do in the middle with a LENRD on the top and bottom of the wall and have roughly the same effect as putting 703 floor to ceiling?

I would put right above your mixing position on the ceiling, right above your head. It will make a world of difference there. its actually good to have one on the ceiling on top of each monitor as well, but seeing you only have one 2 by 4, i would hang it above your head in the mixing/listening position
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    KenJr
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/11/05 02:39:36 (permalink)
    Thanks CJ. I actually have a total of 12 x 2" panels. I'll use 4 of those to make two 4" bass traps for the wall and that will leave me with 8 singles that I plan to use on the ceiling above my mixing position, angled above and on the wall behind my mixing station, on the side early reflection zones and maybe 2 that I have left over sitting in the window kinda behind my speakers directly in front of my mixing desk.

What's limiting me to just 2 x 4" bass traps is the fact that I purchased some bags to put the 703 in and I only have 2 bags that can hold 4". I have the 4 LENRD bass traps and was just thinking that I'll put the 4" 703 at the top of the ceiling on the same wall that my mixing desk is on. Then, I'll use the LENRD traps at the bottom. I have 4 so I'll probably just stack 2 of them on the floor at each of those corners.

Sound like a plan??

My Gear/Studio Pics
    My Music

droddey
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/11/05 02:46:20 (permalink)
    You really want 4" of 703 at each position, and you want it out from the wall a few inches. This means it works going one way and then bouncing back off the wall and back through. You should really get some more 4" bags. Put 2 of them in the corners behind the speakers. You can get away with some 2" bags for the side walls and ceilling where the sound would bounce off the speakers and back to you. Use a 4" one on the wall/ceiling corners on either side of you and on the wall behind the speakers in front of you (as seated.)
    post edited by droddey - 2007/11/05 02:58:57

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/11/05 02:49:34 (permalink)
    Cool. I use the 703's and they work great. I didnt even need to double them up to get a semi flat frequency responce. I made my own also and wrapped them in red burlap. Isnt it so much cheaper to make your own...
    Cj

Audio Blog
    KenJr
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/11/05 03:01:10 (permalink)
    Thanks droddey and CJ...

I sorta built my own. I bought the 12 panels for $80 off eBay and then bought the bags from here: http://www.readyacoustics.com/

10 completely finished panels though will cost me less than $400, so I'm pretty happy with that.

They have a couple cool ideas with simple hooks and zip tie's (their bags have several 'handles' pre-built into the back) that should get these up pretty quickly.

So droddey - I'd prefer not to go back and get more bags (and would thus need more panels if I start making more 4" panels). I'm going to go with the 4" panels in the high corners on the same wall as my mixer with doubled up LERND's on the bottom of those corners and then 2" everywhere else and see how that does. If I feel like I need more bass trapping then I'll order a couple more bags and panels to make that happen.

Here's their tutorial site with some ideas on how to hang these things:

https://www.readyacoustics.com/tutorial/tutorials.php?src=bracket

My Gear/Studio Pics
    My Music

droddey
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/11/05 03:03:44 (permalink)
    You might do better with fewer 4" ones than more 2" ones, because 2" really don't absorb down very low, and it's the lowest frequencies that are the most problematic.

I've got 4 6" ones in place now (the Ready bags), one in each corner behind the speakers and one on the wall/ceiling corners to either side. I have 3 more 4" ones coming in tuesday. They will go on the sides at the first reflection points and on the wall/ceilling behind the speakers.

After that I hope to get three more when I afford it and I should have pretty good coverage. Two one above my head, and I'm probably going to hang a couple behind the listening position a few feet back, because I can't put them on the wall behind me. That would help soak up stuff coming back at me from the back wall (and going outwards towards the back wall as well.)
    post edited by droddey - 2007/11/05 03:42:30

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/11/05 11:06:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep

Broadband bass trapping. You can never have too much.

Cheers.

You can't have too much? I was under the impression too much would make your room dead and unnatural sounding.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    gullfo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/11/05 13:02:56 (permalink)
    you can have too much if the traps also absorb high frequencies (which can easily add to the mud factor). one option is to add a layer of plastic under the cloth of the front of the absorber to reflect some highs back into the room. adding corner traps as already described will g oa long ways to controlling the serious room modes, adding thinner absorbers at key reflection points on the side and overhead of the mix desk will cut down on the highs and mids that can confuse the mix... move the equipment out of the small alcove and put it on a wall where the front-to-back portion of the room is longest and symmetrical...

Glenn 
    www.runnel.com

mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/11/05 13:03:12 (permalink)
    Lots of good advice... I'd agree that ears are the most important.

Put in a good reference CD and listen to it. Does it sound muddy in your room, or have problems similar to what you hear in your own mixes? Even pro's that are way beyond most of us in this forum use reference material.

Also, what is the positioning of your monitors. Near-fields should be pretty close to you, and at ear level. The lines between the monitors and your head should make an equilateral triangle. While near-fields don't eliminate the need for room treatment, used properly, they can lessen the effects of a bad room.
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/11/05 13:11:05 (permalink)
    I just have some issues with a blanket statment that you can't have too much broadband bass trapping. Granted most home studios probably don't have enough bass trapping but that logic doesn't apply to every room.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Can your room make a huge difference? 2007/11/05 13:26:10 (permalink)
    I think we are mixing up rooms here...
    The OP was wondering about his tracking room as opposed to his control/mixing room, wasn't he?
    A tracking room should have some room ambiance, drums and guitars sound a little better with some "room".
    Mixing/control room should be more controlled as far as reflection, bass absorption etc.
    The problem with a lot of us, me included, is we have one room acting as both, so some sort of compromise must be reached.
    For me, its to deaden things towards a mixing environment instead of tracking room since I don't do live drums.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1