Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt

Author
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
2013/02/01 21:55:32 (permalink)

Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt

I have successfully added the Kontakt factory content to Kontakt 5, BUT I cannot add any libraries from other companies.

For Noisefirm, I went o Add Library in Kontakt 5 and navigated to the folder as recommended in the Noisefirm manual.  I also tried every other Noisefirm folder.  In every case, I get "No Linrary Found."

I have this same problem trying to add the WaveLore Pedal Steel Guitar sample library.

All sample folders are on the same drive as my other sample libraries and as the Kontakt factory content.

Thoughts?

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 

20 Replies Related Threads

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/01 22:03:26 (permalink)
    You can only add libraries for which the developer paid an extra fee to provide this capability. These are generally referred to as Player libraries, that is, they work with the free player. That annoying "no library found" message really means "sorry, the developer didn't pay for the option to add their library to our library view". OK, that sounds a bit jaded I guess...

it's a drag, but there is a very nice work-around, have you looked at the quick load feature? I have moved entirely to using it. I don't even keep the library tab open any more<G>!

If you really want to use the library view you can add libraries that are not licensed - there is a hack described somewhere, google is your friend for that. I tried it once, got it to work sorta/kinda, and realized that with the next release they'd likely seal that loophole, and gave up.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    konradh
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/01 22:05:05 (permalink)
    Thanks, wst3, but I bought the full version of Kontakt specifically so I could add these libraries.  Thanks.

Konrad

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
    MarioD
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/01 22:06:59 (permalink)
    The library section on Kontakt is for companies that pay NI for the privilege of installing their software there. Most do not pay for that privilege!

I use quick-load for all of my third party software. That is where I have my WaveLore Pedal Steel Guitar.

Be sure to add your patches to the database. That is so if you are looking for a specific sound you can find in it said database.

Quick-load and the database are your two best friends in Kontakt.
    konradh
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/01 22:13:40 (permalink)
    Mario, thanks, but I don't understand what you are saying.  I do have the full player, and I am trying to follow the instructions in the wavelore and Noisefirm manuals.

if you could explain more, i would really appreciate it.  How do you quick-load?

BTW, I can drag the wavelore samples in but they only last for one session.  The problem there is that I don't know for sure which file or folder I am supposed to drag there: there is a lot of stuff in the wavelore folders and some looks identical except for a 2 or 3 ont he end.

For Noisefirm, dragging would not work.

Thanks.

Konrad

wst3
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/01 22:26:52 (permalink)
    Let me try again - but you ain't gonna like it (don't shoot the messenger!)

The Library tab/view is for libraries that are licensed to be in the library view - that is, the developer pays for the privilege, the user has no say in the matter.

These libraries are referred to as player versions or player enabled. They show up, or can be added to the library view in either the full version or the player version. They work in either version.

ALL other libraries (Wavelore Steel for example) work only in the full version - if the developer does not pay to make them player libraries they will only work in the full version for some short period, maybe 15 minutes?

So you can only add "Player Enabled" libraries to the library tab in either the full or free version of Kontakt.

A lot of folks think this is lame... but it is the way it is. And I'm guessing you'll join that camp...

Is that a little clearer?

As far as the Wavelore Steel goes - check their website for updates, I don't remember anymore what problems were solved, but I do remember that I thought the update was a big help.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    konradh
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/01 22:44:25 (permalink)
    Bill, I appreciate it, but somehow we are not communicating.

- I understand that certain things will not work with the free player because the sample creators did not pay for the Kontakt license.  Wavelore and Noisefirm are in this category.  On the other hand, I have some Vir 2 libraries that will work with the free player.
    - Some things will only work with the full, paid for player.  (These things should also work with the free player.)  I specifically bought the full, licensed version of Kontakt so I could use Wavelore.

I have the full, licensed, paid-for version of Kontakt 5 so anything for Kontakt should work for it.  I cannot get Noisefirm or Wavelore to work.  Basically, the on things that are working are those things I bought BEFORE I upgraded to the full player.

So, I guess I am not sure what you are saying and I don't get the part about quick-load.

Konrad

dwcaldwell
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/02 00:23:13 (permalink)

Konrad,

The easiest way I know to browse non-licensed-library instruments using Kontakt's Library tab is to install them under the Kontakt Factory Library\Instruments folder. Then they will auto-magically appear in the Kontakt Factory Library instrument list in Kontakt. Here is a screenshot showing several non-factory-content instruments installed alongside the factory content folders and how the Window's folder structure is mirrored in the Kontakt Factory Library instrument list:

Like the other posters have said, only licensed libraries can be added to Kontakt as full-blown Library tab entries.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
    Don
    wst3
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/02 10:32:30 (permalink)
    I see the disconnect now... I hope (really sorry I'm doing such a poor job explaining!)

So, as mentioned, only licensed libraries will appear in the library view.

To access all the rest of the libraries you have to click on the "Files" tab in that same pane. From there you can navigate to the library and load the instruments and banks.

Another alternative is to use the trick mentioned above, where all your unlicensed libraries sit under the Kontakt Factory Library directory - I find this to be a bit cumbersome, but some folks like it.

Another alternative is to right click over on the instrument pane (right hand side)... this brings up a "Quick Load" view. You can drag all your libraries into Quick View and then arrange them any way you want. I have two top level entries, one with instruments sorted by developer, and one with libraries sorted by type. I seldom use the developer tree anymore, and may end up deleting it.

It works, and it has some advantages over the Library view - but I still wish they'd just let the full version load any and all libraries into the library view - you are not alone in your frustration!

Kontakt has a steep learning curve (especially if you want to start modifying instruments to better suit your needs), and some really frustrating "features". However, the content available makes it king of the hill - at least for now. Mach V, UVI, and Engine seem to be gunning for the crown, and hopefully competition will only make all of them better!

Does this help, I hope?

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    MarioD
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/02 10:36:28 (permalink)
    To use quick-load click on the quick icon to bring up the quick-load window. Right click in the left column and add a new folder. Drop and drag the nki files over to the adjacent right column. Click on the x to get out of quick-load. Then all you do is to click on quick-load, select the folder you want and click on the nki file and it will load. This is how I handle all of my third party patches. 

Good luck and I hope this helps.

PS - oops, it looks like Bill and I were typing at the same time.

post edited by MarioD - 2013/02/02 10:44:44
    wst3
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/02 10:58:51 (permalink)
    Hi Mario - don't you hate it when that happens????

And Konrad - the rest of us do understand your frustration... it was even worse/more confusing in previous versions! But the things one can do with Kontakt make it worth the effort... wait till you are comfortable enough to start tweaking instruments!!!!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    konradh
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/02 16:35:56 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for your patience.  It is nice of all of you to continue explaining—and to provide screen shoots.

I am looking in the Files area now and there are a few confusing quirks, but let me work with it and consult the manual in more detail before I take more time here.

You know how it is: you buy something and you want to start playing with it!

Once again, I greatly appreciate you guys hanging in there with me.

Konrad

wst3
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/02 18:28:29 (permalink)
    we've all been there - nothing is as frustrating as a new tool that doesn't work the way we want it to!

Keep the patience - once you get comfortable with your workflow (as dictated by NI<G>) you are going to be very happy with this purchase!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    peter434
    • Total Posts : 212
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/02 20:09:59 (permalink)
    Hi,

Apparently, there is a program devoted to the task :
    http://www.dypros.com/klm3-0/

Hoping that helps !
    dwcaldwell
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/02 21:23:08 (permalink)
    If you have access to the Groove3 videos, the one Eli Krantzberg did called Kontakt Explained is excellent. It helped me a ton.
    konradh
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/03 14:33:34 (permalink)
    Mario D, I am now able to load WaveLore thanks to the help here, but there is a confusion factor.  For WaveLore Pedal Steel, is this the file I want to load using QuickLoad (or by browse-drag): Wavelore_Pedal_Steel_Guitar_2_5_1_K3+.nki

The reason I am confused is that there are a LOT of indivdual samples but I want to load the instrument that has all the articulations.  There is more than one nki file in the WaveLore folder. (It has been a long time since I bought this product and their support seesm to have gone bye-bye.)

If this is the right file, I am good.

dwcaldwell, Watching Groove 3 now.  Good stuff--thanks.
    post edited by konradh - 2013/02/03 16:45:10

Konrad

jbraner
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1830
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/03 16:10:16 (permalink)
    The nki files are the instrument files - so you're in the right place. It's not unusual to have more than one of these - so try them one at a time.

By the way for my £0.02, I just use the file browser and drag the nki files into the RH side. Also have a search for the thread that tells you how to set up multi outputs - that's another adventure, but we're here to help ;-)

John Braner
    https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
    - Cakewalk by BandLab x64
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    - Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
    - MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
    I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
    er - that's it I think...
    konradh
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/03 16:49:19 (permalink)
    Thanks, jbraner.  After all the years of using samplers*, romplers, etc. it is funny that I am so ignorant on Kontakt, but I'm getting there.

* Trivia about The Mighty Konrad: I made the first set of samples ever for the original Akai sapler.  The Akai office was in Ft Worth and in exchange for one of the prototype units, I made them a bunch of samples in the 24-track studio I was running at the time.  Pretty primitive by today's standards, but it was an interesting experience.  Some simple instruments (like bass) actually sounded pretty good.

Konrad

jbraner
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1830
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/03 16:56:10 (permalink)
    Just RTFM a little and you'll be an expert in no time 

John Braner
    https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
    - Cakewalk by BandLab x64
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    - Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
    - MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
    I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
    er - that's it I think...
    MarioD
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/03 20:29:19 (permalink)
    Konrad, as John has said you only want to drag the nki files over to the quick-load menu. The nki file will automatically load all of the samples.

The only nki file I have is the Wavelore_Pedal_Steel_Guitar_2_5. Maybe there is an update, don’t know but all of the articulations are in this nki.
    For other Kontakt files you may see things like nnn_ks, nnn_legato, nnn-sustain etc where nnn is the patch name. The important part is after the _. Ks means key switch and this file contains all of the articulations. If you wanted to use just the legato part you would use nnn_legato. This file does not use as much ram as the ks file. Personally if you have enough ram always use the ks file, that is what I do.
    But in the Pedal Steel case there is only one nki file that contains all of the articulations. Be sure to check the Wavelore site for the videos on how to use the Pedal Steel. It is not intuitively obvious, at least it’s not to me.
    I hope this helps.
    konradh
    Re:Can't Add Any Instruments to Kontakt 2013/02/03 20:41:52 (permalink)
    Thanks, Mario. The confusing part was that I have four nki files.  Based on your very clear comments, I think these are just updates and WwaveLore, for some reason, chose to package all past versions along with the most current.

I agree about the videos.  As you know, few steel players even have their instruments set up the same way so there is going to be some learning with any virtual instrument that recreates pedal steel.

Thanks again.

Konrad

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1