Author
fanzzz
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
2011/02/14 16:47:56 (permalink)

Can't Seem to Find Any Love-valentine's special

here ya go:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=665391&songID=10279690

A light-hearted, melancholy pop bit. Joseph McCoy added bass.

6 Replies Related Threads

fanzzz
    Re:Can't Seem to Find Any Love-valentine's special 2011/02/15 16:24:19 (permalink)
    Any recommendations on the mix? What could I do to make it sound better?
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Can't Seem to Find Any Love-valentine's special 2011/02/15 17:21:07 (permalink)
    Well it's not a requirement, and I know a lot of folks don't bother with it. But it may help if you can take a few minutes and listen to a few by some of the other forumites? And comment? I've found that will help a lot. It's a community? Again a lot of folks will comment anyway? But you'll get more feedback from what I've seen if you give as well as take.

Good luck.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:Can't Seem to Find Any Love-valentine's special 2011/02/15 18:31:35 (permalink)
    fanzzz,

Couple suggestions.   First, I think it is a nice, catchy tune.  Nice melody, vocals are good. 

In my opinion (which may be way off), the song requires more ups and downs.   Maybe add a warm pad during the verses to add some more dimension.   I think the drums and bass need to come out a little more.   The drums need some more changes. like some simple fills going into the chorus.   Maybe use a brush on the snare during the verses, and use full snare on the chorus.   The two chorused guitars do not add any rhythmic interest to the background.  Maybe pull one back and add a nice strumming acoustic guitar.   The chorus guitars are a little heavy on reverb/tremolo effects during the verses.   Some fairly minor changes would really make it pop.  Kind of a Chris Issac meets the Cranberries vibe..... is what I envision.

I would introduce the simple vocal harmonies during the chorus earlier in the song, and have some really lush harmonies at the end.

Good song, thanks for sharing.  

post edited by markno999 - 2011/02/15 18:37:00
    giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:Can't Seem to Find Any Love-valentine's special 2011/02/15 18:42:36 (permalink)
    very nice tune and great harmonies. but imo this song has great potential with some small additions.

after the 1st chorus, try to introduce a new instrument, some bells or something that will not be "in your face" but will just add more color. definately the drums must have some variations. in addition to the patterns, in the choruses try some shakers or some cymbals. you have to play with the dynamics between verses and choruses. it's a great song and it should be treated as a hit!

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Can't Seem to Find Any Love-valentine's special 2011/02/15 20:13:58 (permalink)
    Great tune and smooth vocal delivery.  Nice! 
    fanzzz
    Re:Can't Seem to Find Any Love-valentine's special 2011/02/15 22:00:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for some ideas there. Yeah, I'll pull up the bass more in the mix and the guy who did it said it needed a little more speration. I have it pretty close to the bass drum and maybe the bass drum is too loud? It's not mastered. I don't really know a whole lot about mastering. I just use the Boost-11 limiter plug-in to give it more loudness.

had the bass drum in the center, snare at 11% to the left-it changes in the song to the other side... and cymbals are panned somewhere to the right.

I'll try to change the chorus on the drum section. I should've known it needed more on the drums. I'm not that adept at drums really. Used SD2. I'd prefer to have a good drummer do the drums personally, but alas-no drummer around!

The warm pad-just the synthesizer sound? Hmmm.

My bro thought the bass was too repetitious so I had it subdued in the mix, but he get's that way with a lot of a songs. 

I like some of the refrain on the guitar, some of the guitar sounds aren't anything spectacular and the intro IMO is not really outstanding. I used my bros electric strat and recorded from his techie Fender amp into my M-Audio Mobile pre unit. ran into some sound problemts on the buzz/noise, you might have noticed in the intro. Not sure how to get that out well.

Yeah, I don't listen to that many songs in the songs forum. It's kinda rare. I hear what you're saying though.

I'll redo some stuff before I mail it in to this one college radio station. I'll try to see if I can figure out some rhythmic interest with the guitar somehow! Thanks again for some feedback.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1