Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66

Author
guileman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2006/12/29 16:45:40 (permalink)

Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66

Please help me, i have a problem i just installed the latest drivers from m-audio (Delta_WDM_5.10.00.5052v3) for my delta 66 soundcard and now when i record my voice for example, in sonar 6, i can't hear the mic in my headphones while recording, only the beat, but it still record the audio, then on playback i hear what i have recorded and everything...

is there a setting in sonar that could fix that???

or is it a settings in the m-audio control pannel??

please help me i need to know fast...

thanks...
post edited by guileman - 2006/12/29 17:06:32

16 Replies Related Threads

manthe
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 16:50:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: guileman

Please help me, i have a problem i just installed the latest drivers from m-audio (Delta_WDM_5.10.00.5052v3) for my delta 66 soundcard and now when i record my voice for example, in sonar 6, i can't hear the mic in my headphones while recording, only the beat, but it still record the audio, then on playback i hear what i have recorded and everything...

thanks...

Do you have input monitoring turned on in sonar for the track you are recording? Also, is it the card's zero-latency monitoring that is broken or input monitoring in SONAR?

-manthe

Moonface Studio | Records | Publishing

http://www.moonfacerecords.com

Equipment List - http://moonfacerecords.com/Moonface/Studio_Gear.html
    guileman
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 16:57:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: manthe

thanks...

Do you have input monitoring turned on in sonar for the track you are recording? Also, is it the card's zero-latency monitoring that is broken or input monitoring in SONAR?

where do i see the input monitering option for my track?? and i really don't have a clue about the zero latency monitering...
    Sbax
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 17:11:45 (permalink)
    I think you may need to work on the Control Panel. Unmute the check boxes and lift the faders to 0 in the Monitor Mixer tab. If that doesn't work go to the patchbay tab and try some settings there.

[

Sonar 6 PE
    RME Fireface 800
    Athlon 64 3000
    Asus K8V SE Deluxe
    manthe
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 17:18:33 (permalink)

thanks...

where do i see the input monitering option for my track?? and i really don't have a clue about the zero latency monitering...

For input monitoring, there is a little icon in each track, in track view, right next to the M/S/R buttons (between them and the minimize/maximize buttons). It has an icon on it that looks like a radio wave (concentric semi-circles). This will allow you to hear yourself while tracking regardless of whether zero-latency monitoring is on or not. For me, I very rarely use zero-latency features from my audio device. I prefer to use input monitoring because that is what the recorded track is actually going to sound like. Plus you can insert effects for tracking with reverb (or whatever you want) non-destructively. This is an absolute must for soft-synths and for real-time instrument processing software plug-ins like NI Guitar Rig.

-manthe

guileman
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 17:21:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sbax

I think you may need to work on the Control Panel. Unmute the check boxes and lift the faders to 0 in the Monitor Mixer tab. If that doesn't work go to the patchbay tab and try some settings there.

[

ive tried there, ive lifted the faders to the top, but still doesnt work, in the patchbay tab, i don't know what sould be the problem...
    manthe
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 17:25:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sbax

[

ive tried there, ive lifted the faders to the top, but still doesnt work, in the patchbay tab, i don't know what sould be the problem...

Is everything in your patchbay set to wavout? It's been a long time since I've used m-audio stuff. But if I remember correctly, you must unmute and turn up each track, then make sure in the patchbay/router every track is set to wavout (i don't remember the exact nomenclature).

-manthe

guileman
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 17:26:18 (permalink)

thanks...

For input monitoring, there is a little icon in each track, in track view, right next to the M/S/R buttons (between them and the minimize/maximize buttons). It has an icon on it that looks like a radio wave (concentric semi-circles). This will allow you to hear yourself while tracking regardless of whether zero-latency monitoring is on or not. For me, I very rarely use zero-latency features from my audio device. I prefer to use input monitoring because that is what the recorded track is actually going to sound like. Plus you can insert effects for tracking with reverb (or whatever you want) non-destructively. This is an absolute must for soft-synths and for real-time instrument processing software plug-ins like NI Guitar Rig.

ok so how do i use input monitering instead of zero latency monitering, how do i choose??
    by the way, when i put on the icon you told me, there's a huge delay between when i speak and what i hear...
    guileman
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 17:35:10 (permalink)
    and in the patchbay of the m-audio control panel, everything is set to wave out already..
    manthe
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 17:40:36 (permalink)

thanks...

ok so how do i use input monitering instead of zero latency monitering, how do i choose??
    by the way, when i put on the icon you told me, there's a huge delay between when i speak and what i hear...

First, make sure that in the m-audio control panel your DMA buffers are set to 256 or lower. Then make sure you re-profile your hardware in SONAR if you do have to change the latency buffers. Then, once that is done on the first tab of the global audio options in SONAR, slide the latency slider to the left until the latency is 10 to 15ms or less.

-manthe

guileman
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 17:49:31 (permalink)
    ok, i just did all that, but still nothing unless i press the button you tols me and when i press it there's still a delay when i record...

how can i make it input monitering?? instead of the other monitering option???
    manthe
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 17:53:01 (permalink)

ok, i just did all that, but still nothing unless i press the button you tols me and when i press it there's still a delay when i record...

how can i make it input monitering?? instead of the other monitering option???

Are you sure you did all steps? What is your latency set to now in sonar? Did sonar go through and re profile/rediscover your audio device? What did you set the buffers to in the m-audio control panel? This shoudl work just fine. Lets go through this step by step...

-manthe

guileman
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 18:05:03 (permalink)
    my latency in sonar is now 8,7 msec i did the profile and rediscover, and my dma buffer in the m-audio control panel is 128 samples

now it's fine but that monitering option is crap, i dont like it, my voice seems doubled, i would prefer direct input monitering, do you know how i can do that instead of the zero latency monitering???
    post edited by guileman - 2006/12/29 18:38:30
    guileman
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 18:28:49 (permalink)
    i would really like to know cause before installing the new drivers i could hear my self without having to press the input monitering button in sonar.

so i would like to know how to disable the zero latency monitering and use direct input monitering instead

please help me...
    manthe
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 18:53:54 (permalink)

now it's fine but that monitering option is crap, i dont like it, my voice seems doubled, i would prefer direct input monitering, do you know how i can do that instead of the zero latency monitering???

It's really not crap. Honestly. It works fine on my current system and my last 4 systems. I hear 0 slapback or anything. If anything, the culprit is sub-par hardware drivers. You seem to be having a problem with your, obviously. I've also heard of situation with certain interfaces where the SONAR reported latency is actually is actually doubled for one reason or another, relating to the sound card drivers. Lets try one more thing for input monitoring if you like.

What is your 'Buffers in Playback Queue' set to in the SONAR global audio options? The lower the number, the lower you are able to set your latency slider. I have mine set to 2. With my slider all the way to the left I can get the latency to 1.x ms. I have a feeling your latency is being doubled. I don't know how to solve that problem, but if you can get SONAR down to 1, 3 or 5ms then the actual would be 2, 6 or 10 which should be just fine for real-time monitoring.

-manthe

guileman
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 20:39:57 (permalink)
    ok, i understand what you are saying, but my problem is not that, it's that before installing the new version of the m-audio drivers i would hear myself when recording in real time in sonar, with no delay at all and no modifiaction to the sound. but now if i want to be able to hear my self while recording i have to press the yellow button (input monitering)

so the thing is that i would like to be able to hear my self back in real time without having to press the input monitering button in sonar...

cause that problem just came when i installed that driver (Delta_WDM_5.10.00.5052v3) the new driver from m-audio website.

and now i can't find the old driver i used to have version 5.10.00.5051, so i don't know what to do...
    manthe
    RE: Can't hear my self while recording, only playback, sonar 6 with m-audio delta 66 2006/12/29 20:47:41 (permalink)

ok, i understand what you are saying, but my problem is not that, it's that before installing the new version of the m-audio drivers i would hear myself when recording in real time in sonar, with no delay at all and no modifiaction to the sound. but now if i want to be able to hear my self while recording i have to press the yellow button (input monitering)

so the thing is that i would like to be able to hear my self back in real time without having to press the input monitering button in sonar...

cause that problem just came when i installed that driver (Delta_WDM_5.10.00.5052v3) the new driver from m-audio website.

and now i can't find the old driver i used to have version 5.10.00.5051, so i don't know what to do...

I hear ya. You want your zero-latency, card monitoring back. I wish I could be more help with that. If you get desperate you could uninstall the new drivers, shut down the machine an pull out the 66. Reboot and let windows load without the card present. Then shut down, re-insert the card and reload the new drivers. If all else fails that may be worth a try. If not, at least the input monitoring could be a work-around until you get it sorted out with the M-audio support folks.

Good luck!

-manthe

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1